2013 Nationals in Omaha to include Juvenile and Intermediate Nationals, too

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by barbk, Aug 11, 2011.

1. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

2. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Yup, this rule change was made at Governing Council back in June. The US Junior Figure Skating Championships, which normally hosts the Juvenile and Intermediate events, is no more. The last one will take place this year in Lansing, Michigan.

Instead, the top four finishers in each region will advance to their respective sectional championships. The top four in each section will compete in Omaha, just like in the Novice-Senior categories. In the case of dance and pairs events, there will be no regional. The sectional championships will be the sole qualification round.

3. acraven

acraven Well-Known Member

Two other interesting facts from the article:

The practice rink and secondary rink (latter for the lower level competitions) are located very near the main rink.

Tickets won't go on sale till early next year.

4. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

$965 for an all event ticket:eek: :(. Tickets go on presale at 10 AM this morning CST. It doesn't help that this price includes $90 worth of TicketMaster fees. Had the organizing club taken on the administrative responsibility of handling the sales and seating, perhaps that price might havea approximated what they are for this year's championships

5. acraven

Yeah, this is painful, and rather shocking for Omaha. The top price is actually $967.12 with one final little fee tacked on.

Haven't found a detailed seating diagram online yet, so can't provide info on Kiss and Cry location, which I know some folks would be interested in. I did call the arena to verify that they had blocked off seats for the judges and other officials--wanted to be sure I hadn't been sold one of those. The officials will be on the Section 120-122 side.

6. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

$965 seems insane. Is this what all event tickets are normally like?
    I really thought about treating myself for my 31st birthday, but I think I'd rather have 40 skating lessons at that price...

7. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

K&C is in 109-110 per the LOC.

8. semogal

semogal Well-Known Member

do you have a link? I can't seem to find any info on tickets. Does that $900+ price tag include the juvenile and intermediate too? Do they have a senior only package? I wanted to go but no way at those prices.

9. acraven

I've only found very limited info. Here's a link to the ticket site, but I think it will work only with a pre-sale code: http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/060047676EF67841 . Public sale begins on Monday, November 21, at 10 AM Central time.

Even without a pre-sale code you can see where each numbered section is, and there's a list of 20 ticketed sessions in a scrollable box near the upper right. They are just listed by date, with no specifics as to events included. The sessions run from Sunday, January 20, through Sunday, January 27. An all-event ticket certainly should include the Juv. and Int. events, but I can't say for sure. The dates listed at this point are consistent with most previous Nationals, which had only Nov/Jr/Sr events.

$967 is for top-price tickets, called "VIP". I haven't found a detailed seating diagram showing prices, so I don't know where the priciest seats are located. However, the next two price ranges are described as "Mezzanine". Surely they aren't charging $967 for the entire lower bowl?? Good luck with that.

The other two prices are $707 (+$2, I assume) and $567 ($569). The final listing, at $375, may be for some sort of weekend package not available yet; there don't seem to be any sections of the arena for sale at that price. Or those could be the upper-level seats at the ends, which don't show up as available at any of the higher prices.

My guess is that there will be some sort of weekend package(s) offered. This morning I tried calling Ticketmaster. Didn't get very far into the automated process, but I think I was asked whether I wanted all-event tickets or a weekend package.

10. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

I just played around with it a little. The pre-sale code (just e-mailed from USFSA) is "2013". It looks like VIP seating is the first 3 rows. Most of the rest of the lower bowl is $707, except for the corners, which are $567.

I like how you can see all the available seats and pick and choose, rather than having the computer spit something out (or a phone operator who tells you to take it or leave it). But I'm not spending $700 for Nats tickets and have no desire to go to Omaha. I'll save my money for (hopefully) an East Coast Nats in 2014.

11. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Omaha is actually really nice- but going there in the winter kind of scares me. Their highways were like roller coasters with the ups and downs. It is like whomever designed them forgot the place gets ice...

12. sk9tingfan

Well, boiught my tickets and went for the $707 tickets inclusive of fees. I refused to pay for the first three rows.

Two strikes against Omaha and the organizing committee:

- Possibility that if the organizing committee had handled the ticket sales, they would have saved ticket buyers those prohibitive Ticketmaster fees

- There's almost no way to get a direct flight into Omaha from New York (i.e. LGA or EWR)

Looking at the Omaha Hilton which connects directly with the arena, the current rack rate is $123 per night. However, this is before the 200+ additional rooms that are being added and the entire overhaul of the public areas. A $99 per night rate would be wonderful, but am I being delusional about that possibility?

13. LadyNit

LadyNit moving right along Staff Member

I think our biggest delusion is that there will be rooms available at the hotel. I think you'll have to be "someone with connections to USFS or ISU" to get a room there. :drama:

14. sk9tingfan

Supposedly after the addition of 200 rooms,, there will be more than 600 in total. I would hope that some would be available to ticketholders. BTW, how would connections to the ISU have any bearing in this situation?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2011
  15. Lizziebeth

Lizziebeth the real Lizziebeth

Planning to go to this - it is about an 8 hour drive south for me. I'm hoping that they will sell a package for the latter part of the week and I can buy tickets at the box office for earlier events, depending on when I get there. I love skating a lot, but I don't know if my butt can take that many days! Need to think about this.

16. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

I know that for many of you were not thrilled (to say the least) the location did not excite you. I also heard from the Sports Commission early in August that they had been waiting for the USFSA to a) determine the official hotel sites and b) help determine ticket prices, so some of the ticket prices may have been influenced by USFSA. There are hotels within a few blocks of the Arena and would be a reasonable walking distance.

It maybe possible that tickets will be available from the box office itself once the pre-sales have been completed. Right now, the calendar on the box office does not go out that far for tickets

LadyNit and (deleted member) like this.
  17. TanithandBenFan

From the information I received through a phone call to the LOC, the Hilton is already sold out. Thanks to the USFSA blocking the whole thing, I'm sure.

18. siggy

siggy Member

But they are selling tickets in those sections according to the seating chart. Looks like section 101 could be K&C. Anyway to find out?

19. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

I can try and call the Sports Commission in the morning if you want me to

20. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Will 2014 U.S. Nat'ls be held on the east coast? Or has a site not been chosen yet?

21. julianaqtpi

julianaqtpi New Member

I'm so excited! I live in Omaha and my mom is the president of my club, one of the four clubs in the area that are helping (minimally) with the event. It's so exciting to see people on here mentioning my city, where I have lived for 13 years, over and over again!

Contrary to popular belief, there ARE things to do in Omaha. We have a really nice children's museum, a great zoo with a great aquarium (not the best choice in January though), some fantastic museums, and a ton of shopping centers and strip malls.

Also, the $120+ Hilton isn't even the best hotel for the price. There are some nice and less costly hotels downtown near the Century Link, and the traffic isn't so horrible that it would be a nightmare to stay at a hotel in West Omaha and rent a car to drive downtown every day for the events. Sure, not as convenient, but a much more financially conscientious plan. I live in West Omaha and it's only about a 30 minute drive to the border between Nebraska and Iowa during rush hour if there are no accidents on the interstate- the longest it's ever taken us is 45 minutes, and there were two accidents on the interstate our direction. To get to the Century Link versus the border, you take off at least 5 minutes, so expect a 25-35 minute drive if you drive from West Omaha.

My coach just bought her tickets on Friday morning and she got an all-event pass, the $970 or however much ones, for the front row! And she got two tickets, the other ticket will be occupied by either her sister (who is the vice-president of our club), her nephew (who I skate with), or one of her skaters.

Also, apparently you have to be 18 yrs old to volunteer at Nationals. I'm nearly 15 years old (sixteen days until my birthday!), so I'll be 16 when Nationals is going on, so not old enough to volunteer. Not fair, in my mind. Sure, they don't want ten year olds being ice monitor or anything, but if you're old enough to drive, shouldn't you be old enough to volunteer? Sorry, excuse my little rant about that, I just had to get it out.

In Greensboro, the ice sweepers were from ages 9 to 13 and they had to be at least preliminary level. They're supposedly going to use the same requirements in 2013. Here in Omaha, there are barely any skaters between those ages and above that level. So they'll get maybe ten skaters that qualify, if they get REALLY lucky. They'll get the amount they need if skaters come from Kansas City, St. Joseph, Des Moines, Ames, Sioux City, etc. And even if skaters came from all those cities, they'd still have barely enough. My personal opinion is that they need to open the age and level boundaries. If I was in charge, I would make the requirements to be at least Freeskate 4 and between 8 and 18 years old. Then we could get a lot of skaters that could help.

Some people just don't think about our skating community here... We have four clubs that are helping, three from Omaha and one from Lincoln, and we have about 40 skaters who are currently taking lessons and competing with my club, which is the largest. So say the other clubs have 30 each, which is about right, and 15 from the Lincoln club. That totals to about 115 skaters. Take out 20 for adult skaters and skaters who are 18 or older. 95. Take out the approximately 20 skaters who are under 8 years old. 75. Take out 20 of those who are Basic Skills skaters. 55. Take out 30 of those who are below Preliminary. 25. Take out the 20 of those that are older than 13. 15 skaters. That would be if every skater was able to do it, and if we had the number of skaters we have now, which is doubtful, because this is the largest number of skaters that the area has ever had that are above pre-preliminary.

ANYWAYS, after that lengthy rant that nobody probably bothered to read, I'm going to stop rambling and post this comment! If anyone has any questions about Nationals, just reply to me, and if I can't tell you the answer, I'll ask my mom. (I didn't say this above, but not only is my mom the president of my club, but she is one of the main coordinators of the event, and a coach with my club is the co-chair of Nationals.) If you read all of this, kudos to you, haha!:D

LadyNit, gkelly, PDilemma and 3 others like this.
  22. julianaqtpi

julianaqtpi New Member

They only announced that Omaha had been chosen this spring, I believe in April or so was when my mom got the phone call about us hosting Nationals, so they'll probably announce 2014 Nationals in less than 6 months.

23. julianaqtpi

julianaqtpi New Member

Oh, and I forgot to say- If you come to Omaha for 2013 Nationals, expect negative temperatures in the mornings and nights, sometimes it gets to -20 windchill in January, and expect snow. I 99% guarantee that there will be snow on the ground during Nationals. Roads downtown are kept pretty clear however, so even if it's snowing, the roads should be salted and not icy. The snowplow system downtown, especially by the Century Link, is excellent, so no worries. :)

24. LadyNit

Hey juli, thanks for giving us some inside info. I hope your mom and the other event coordinators are giving some thought to shuttle transportation for skaters and fans staying in downtown hotels.

I hope you find a way to participate in the events, even if you don't make the age cut to be a volunteer. :cheer2:

25. sk9tingfan

If the clubs organizing this Nationals in Omaha do as well as that in St Paul, Minnesota in 2008, we will have nothing to worry about. They did a stellar job and -3 without the windchill didn't have a negative impact at all.

26. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

Those staying at the Hilton won't need it. As for the other downtown hotels, many provide shuttles to various events anyway and very likely will do so for an event this size.

Omaha has hosted NCAA Final Four Volleyball twice and U.S. Swim Olympic Trials (both at CenturyLink) once and will have a second round at that event under its belt before Nationals. And never mind the huge event that is the College World Series which we have hosted for 60 years now. Believe it or not, Nebraska can manage an event just fine.

27. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

Those looking for a hotel might want to look at the Element in Midtown Crossing. They usually run a shuttle bus from Midtown to the Century Link center. Also, I live across the street and can probably drive some people. Like three. I have a VW Beetle. :)

Ticket prices do seem high, but I've paid over $100 for concerts at the Century Link, so...

I also have a couch available, if you like cats. And lots of cat fur...

Oh, in terms of snow and traffic, the city does a pretty good job of keeping major roads cleared. Unless we get clobbered by three feet of snow, I wouldn't worry about the weather.

28. LadyNit

Dear Nebraska,
    I know you can manage events just fine. I'm the one who can't manage, which is why I hope you will be prepared for people like me who are worried about getting around in icy conditions. I realize that my :drama: is annoying, but unless rooms open up at the Hilton-with-the-tunnel, I'll continue to angst just a bit.

With respect and anticipation of good times,
    -a skating fan

29. TanithandBenFan

There's always a fan shuttle offered at Nationals from the host hotels, so transportation shouldn't be a problem. I went to the College World Series in Omaha in 2005, and the people there were some of the nicest I've ever encountered. Looking forward to their hospitality in 2013!

sk9tingfan, I agree that St. Paul did a fabulous job in 2008. I'd love to return there for Nats. With the hotel connected to the arena through the "habitrail" I only went outside in the freezing temps once the whole week.

30. sk9tingfan

After Boston, the best Nationals I've been to yet.:D