2013 Michael Weiss Foundation Ice Champions Live - Sept. 15 in Laurel, MD

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by lostnfound, Aug 11, 2013.

1. lostnfound

lostnfound Member

[/QUOTE]
    I'd like to go but probably won't know if I'll be able to until closer to the date. Are there typically still on ice seats (or good seats in general) available last minute?[/QUOTE]

We normally sell out of on-ice seats (although there are typically some un-occupied ones on show day). We will still be selling tickets right up to showtime, so if you do have to wait until late, it doesn't hurt to ask! This is because folks generously pay for the seat and then for some reason aren't able to attend. Apparently they happily just consider it a donation to a very good cause.

For on-ice seating - be sure to print out a copy of your ticket and bring that with you to the rink. Think of it like a boarding pass on an airplane :) I'm in charge of on-ice seating and I will be checking for those tickets!

Honestly - all the seats are great - better than if you go to a big venue like "Stars on Ice" because of the intimate nature of the rink - everything seems up close and personal - even the bleacher seats.

2. lostnfound

lostnfound Member

Quick up date on performers - Liza Kulik has a competition, and Ilia is coaching her and others for it, which means they won't be making it to the show :(
    Mike is still working hard on getting more big ticket performers.

Recently added local talent - The Next ICE AGE. I believe there will also be a synchro team performing (there generally is every year).

3. lostnfound

lostnfound Member

Just added:

Michal Brezina
    Dan Hollander
    Krystal Edwards
    Luca & Gigi Becker

4. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Thanks for the update...it's true though, the show has attracted decent star power in previous years.

After the USFS camp this week I figure the list will grow.

5. Meredith

Meredith what a glorious day!

These are points that you don't hear enough about. It takes a lot of work from a lot of hands - volunteers all - to pull this show off and keep the costs down. Kudos to all of you who are involved in this project.

6. marysy

marysy Active Member

Thanks so much for the update, lostnfound!

7. lostnfound

lostnfound Member

Just added to list of performers - Ice Dancers Ginna Hoptman & Pasha Filchenkov

8. lostnfound

lostnfound Member

Just added to the list of performers - Vincent Zhou!!!! Awesome :)

9. lostnfound

lostnfound Member

and......now Vincent Zhou not on the list...... not sure what happened. I know Mike is working like a demon to put this event together and get performers. The statement on Michael Weiss's website does say "cast subject to change". I'll keep you guys informed as soon as anything comes up! Still an awesome list of performers, including both champions and some up-and-comers. Gonna be a GREAT show!

10. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

It's always a great show and a wonderful cause. Alas, being a non-driver living in downtown DC, I would have preferred Kettler but I understand the need to switch venues to keep expenses down.

11. lostnfound

lostnfound Member

My understanding is that the venue was switched this year due to the Capitals training schedule. When we were finally informed that Kettler just wouldn't be available this year, Mike got right to work and contacted Gardens Ice House in Laurel. We have had basically 4 weeks to put the whole thing together! Reminds me of the 1st year of the show, when Margie Weiss called me in August and said they were putting a show together.... in September and could I help out :) We got the job done then and it's getting done now! The Weiss family are amazing in their ability to get this production together - and for such a great cause.

12. RD

RD Well-Known Member

^ Thanks for the clarification, I was wondering...so they DID try to get Kettler but weren't able to. OK.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
  13. Artistic Skaters

Artistic Skaters Drawing Figures

Wish I could attend. I'd love to see The Next Ice Age.

What a pleasure it is to see the beaming faces of those young skaters who receive the support from Michael Weiss' fundraising. The best to him for his efforts!

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  14. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

We're going! I understand the original date had been for Saturday, September 14, which would have been Yom Kippur (the Jewish Day of Atonement, the holiest day on the Jewish calendar). So glad that the date was changed to Sunday. Yay for the Weisses & their commitment to supporting up & coming promising skaters!

15. leapfrogonice

leapfrogonice Active Member

Wonderful to see Michael continuing to support the next generation of skaters in a thoughtful, practical and meaningful way.

16. RD

RD Well-Known Member

I'll be going as well, although not having a car makes this location a bit more challenging.

Still though, I've greatly enjoyed past shows, it's a great cause and it's also a unique photo opportunity. Hopefully I'll get some good shots to share with all.

17. lostnfound

lostnfound Member

Did you end up getting VIP tickets, RD?

18. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Yes

19. lostnfound

lostnfound Member

20. paskatefan

^ Thanks! Cool interview!

21. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing. So OTT, these radio announcers :lol:

22. lostnfound

lostnfound Member

Only one week til the show! Did you know that there is an awesome silent auction as part of the event? Lots of great skating related stuff - as well as other goodies! It's another way that the MWF raises money for the skaters. Check out http://www.michaelweiss.org/2013auction.htm for a list of items in the silent auction. While there will be live silent bidding on show day - you can also email a bid in. Info available on the link. Remember that pretty much all the $$ raised is given to skaters in the form of scholarships. Hope to see some of you there :)

23. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Press release for the September 15th show (dated 9/4/13): http://www.prweb.com/releases/2013/9/prweb11084268.htm

Skating magazine blog post about the show this Sunday: http://skatingmagazineblog.com/2013/09/03/ice-champions-live-set-for-sun-sept-15/

ETA that Boitano was added today :):

Current roster:
    ** Cast subject to change**

Brian Boitano
    Katia Gordeeva
    Kimmie Meissner
    Ryan Bradley
    Adam Rippon
    Richard Dornbush
    Michal Brezina
    Dan Hollander
    Krystal Edwards (2013 US Juvenile pewter medalist, now Intermediate level)
    Ginna Hoptman & Pasha Filchenkov (2013 US Nationals Senior Dance, 10th)
    Luca & Gigi Becker (2013 US Novice Dance pewter medalists)
    Sinead & John Kerr
    Rockne Brubaker & Lindsay Davis
    Next Ice Age
    Michael Weiss
    Annie Mae Weiss

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
  24. lostnfound

lostnfound Member

Just announced - BRIAN BOITANO added to the list of performers!!!!!!!!!

25. paskatefan

^ Woohoo! :encore:

26. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

It's great to see so many top skaters have been committed to this show for so many years. Michael and his family have been the backbone for years but lots of other skaters contribute their time and talent to make this a success. It's refreshing to see legendary skaters like Brian and Katia (and Ilia who has skated numerous times) eager to help young skaters coming up in the sport.

27. Artistic Skaters

Artistic Skaters Drawing Figures

Brian Boitano at The Gardens Ice House!! I'm checking Southwest for flight availability.

28. AlisonS

AlisonS Active Member

I'm going - SO looking forward to this! :)

29. lostnfound

lostnfound Member

Here's the skater line-up as of today:

Brian Boitano
    Katia Gordeeva
    Kimmie Meissner
    Ryan Bradley
    Adam Rippon
    Richard Dornbush
    Michal Brezina
    Dan Hollander
    Krystal Edwards