2013 Michael Weiss Foundation Ice Champions Live - Sept. 15 in Laurel, MD

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by lostnfound, Aug 11, 2013.

1. lostnfound

lostnfound Member

Sept. 15th at 4 pm - Gardens Ice House in Laurel, Maryland. Mike is working on the list of participants as we speak. If the previous years are any indication - this year's show is going to be amazing. Anyone within driving distance in the Baltimore/DC area should think about coming. Ticket info will be coming soon. I will post as soon as I know more details :)

Sylvia and (deleted member) like this.
  2. RD

RD Well-Known Member

I went the past two years...it's always a great time, I enjoy watching the show and taking pictures...this location will be a bit harder for me logistically but if the cast is compelling I'll be determined to make it work and attend.

3. lostnfound

lostnfound Member

I have a feeling that the cast is going to be QUITE compelling! Just waiting for the official word.......

4. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

OK, I can do this, this year. Yay for the show being closer to Baltimore. Driving to The Gardens is completely do-able. :)

5. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Looking forward to the list.

Ironically this site is closer to me than the last location, but the other site was easily accessible by Metro/mass transit.

6. lostnfound

lostnfound Member

Mike is working on the seating layout for the tickets as we speak, but it looks like the pricing points will be around $20-$50, with on-ice seating available again this year. Great deal to see some amazing skating up close and personal.

7. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Will there be VIP tickets as well?

8. lostnfound

lostnfound Member

When we did a walk through of the rink last night, we discussed the VIP seating and where in the rink the meet and greet for those ticket holders could be held, so I will give a tentative yes to that question, RD, unless I hear otherwise.

9. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

I assume you'll be in the NHL (Patrick) rink? And I'm guessing the reception will be upstairs?

10. lostnfound

lostnfound Member

Yes, the show will be in the Patrick rink - that's the one with all the bleacher seating. There is a nice size private conference room upstairs, which should work perfectly for the private VIP reception with plenty of room for the VIP ticket holders to meet and greet with the performers. Those VIP tickets are worth every penny! Right now we are thinking that the silent auction will be down stairs in the main lobby, but the details are still being worked out for that. Mike was at the rink today checking out some more details for set up and seating - few more things to work out, but it's coming together! Great questions everyone. Keep them coming and I will try and get the answers asap.

11. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

It's always a good show and for such a great cause. I'd really encourage everyone who can attend to go.

12. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Turns out I have a schedule conflict -- and that's a bit far for me anyway. Guess I'm missing this one. :( Everyone please take lots of photos!!

13. leapfrogonice

leapfrogonice Active Member

Fun, spirited show. Obviously, super cause.

Will Mike be skating??

TORNADO! BRING IT!!

14. lostnfound

lostnfound Member

I'd say it's a pretty safe bet that Mike will be one of the performers!

15. lostnfound

lostnfound Member

Link for tickets should be available tomorrow!

16. lostnfound

lostnfound Member

Go to http://www.michaelweiss.org/ for links to purchase tickets online - for on-ice seating as well as bleacher seating. VIP seating tickets coming soon. There's a map to see where the various seating areas are. The "box" seats listed are center ice, directly over the skaters' entrance to the rink and have a back and armrests - more comfy that your basic bleacher bench.

I got a peek at the list of participants. Mike hasn't given me the go-ahead to release it yet - but all I can say is WOW!!!!!!! Perfect lineup for an Olympic year :)

17. lostnfound

lostnfound Member

Here's the confirmed cast as of today:

Adam Rippon

Ryan Bradley

Kimmie Meissner

Katia Gordeeva

Ilia Kulik

Liza Kulik

Sinead and John Kerr

Michael Brezina

Jeremy Barret and his partner

Rockne Brubaker and his new partner

Caryn Kadavy

There is the possibility of a few more BIG names......I'll let you know as soon as I do.

18. lostnfound

lostnfound Member

19. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Lindsay Davis is Brubaker's new partner and I assume you mean Natalia Zaitseva, who skates with Jeremy Barrett in the Sun Valley summer ice shows.

Thanks for all the info!

20. lostnfound

lostnfound Member

:) I just cut and pasted from the email Mike sent me. I am sure he will include the "partners" names on the official publicity, but I wanted to get the list out there since folks were asking!

21. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Richard Dornbush seems to have confirmed his participation as well by promoting the show on Facebook saying to see him and "other awesome skaters".

22. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Oh, nice cast. I'd love to see Liza Kulik! Hate having to miss this.

23. lostnfound

lostnfound Member

MIke's still adding to the list :) as skaters let him know they can make it. Confirmed skaters are up on his website. (pretty much the list I posted here) Dornbush not listed there - yet.... also didn't see Jeremy Barret - yet.... more to come!

24. B.Cooper

B.Cooper Active Member

I am thrilled that Mike continues this foundation. There are very few retired elite skaters who have given back to the sport in the way that Mike has thru the creation of his foundation. He knows that it is a struggle to pay for skating, and there is no chance that it will ever get less expensive, but the fact that he understands and appreciates the financial responsibility and toll that it can take on a family to help their athlete achieve their goals...:respec: to Mike and his volunteers for making this happen each year!

25. Willowway

Willowway Well-Known Member

B. Cooper - I join you in a enthusiastic round of applause for Michael, Lisa, Mike's family, all the sponsors and volunteers who have sustained this wonderful effort to support eligible skaters. In a world in which so much is not good or not all good, this Foundation and their work is ALL GOOD! Bravo.

26. marysy

marysy Active Member

Ilia's name doesn't seem to be listed on the website...I think (but not 100% sure) that he was listed before. Are he and Liza still participating in the show?

I'd like to go but probably won't know if I'll be able to until closer to the date. Are there typically still on ice seats (or good seats in general) available last minute?

27. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Kulik must have been removed (he was there before)...also, I saw another name there earlier that has since been taken off (think it was some regional skater).

28. B.Cooper

B.Cooper Active Member

Willowway....what other former elite skaters have made similar efforts like the Weiss family? Nic and his sister Tricia LaRoche help fund skaters thru their foundation, US Athletic Foundation. But, off the top of my head, I do not recall another elite (retired) skater(s) who is active in a similar role. :-(

29. lostnfound

lostnfound Member

I will check about Kulik and get updated info ASAP

30. Willowway

Willowway Well-Known Member

There are certainly generous skaters who have done terrific fundraisers for specific causes (conquering cancer and other good objectives) some of those year after year and others, as you've mentioned, who have made contributions to the USFSA or other athletic foundations but I feel safe in saying that no family (all the Weisses!) has done it with such consistency over time and given so much directly to the students who need financial support. Their efforts have only grown over the years and they have taken on the year-round work of managing this effort, as far as I can see, as an integral part of their year, every year. Not just a few nice parties and see ya some day...this one's for real. I expect that it will continue to grow and hope that one day Michael and Lisa can take a more major role in fundraising in this sport in general - they know the right way to do it and have learned from the bottom up.

What impresses me most is that they have stuck to their objective of getting maximum dollars into scholarship hands. As the project grows over the years it would be very easy to take a larger and larger percentage of funds for production, etc. But they continue to put the hard work into keeping the costs down so that the dollars wind up where they belong. That's commitment and it doesn't happen very often in fund-raising. It's very easy to get complacent and let more funds go into areas that take time to produce cheap - but they keep their eyes on the prize and the money appears to arrive where it does the most good. I respect that.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013