2013 Ladies World Podium

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by love_skate2011, Feb 10, 2013.

?

Who will medal ?

1. Carolina Kostner

155 vote(s)
    59.6%
  2. Elizaveta Tuktamysheva

26 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. Akiko Suzuki

32 vote(s)
    12.3%
  4. Mao Asada

202 vote(s)
    77.7%
  5. Adelina Sotnikova

19 vote(s)
    7.3%
  6. Ashley Wagner

34 vote(s)
    13.1%
  7. Yuna Kim

202 vote(s)
    77.7%
  8. Zijun Li

2 vote(s)
    0.8%
  9. Kanako Murakami

3 vote(s)
    1.2%
  10. Gracie Gold

11 vote(s)
    4.2%
  11. Kiira Korpii

2 vote(s)
    0.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Logic tells me it will be Kostner, Asada and Kim in some order. However, looking at their past, they all have a history of big mistakes at Worlds. Kostner and Asada especially have a history of bombing themselves right off the podium and Kim has a history of digging herself a hole. It would not be surprising at all for one of them to slip off the podium (again, most likely Asada or Kostner) but these skaters are really being held up by PCS lately and they have learned they don't even need to do the harder content. I could easily see them do 5 triple programs with toes, salchows and loops and all stay nice and cozy on the podium. Ironically enough, going for more content may be the only way they don't medal because they may end up popping or getting hit with downgrades.

2. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

I saw her Les Mis program where she fell on a double toe loop. She had a bad experience in 2011 when she waited until worlds to compete against real stars, and she was evidently not ready for 4CC. It seems worth asking if she might prefer not to show.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  3. Amy03

Amy03 Member

I think you are spot on, and let me explain why, firstly I think all this talk about Kim not having enough time because of PC Speciel Olympics is just a bad excuse to stay out of competition. if she has time to be part in shows, that take place at the same time as another major competition, then she also has time to show up in 4CC. On top of it, she was in Korea only a few hours trip away from 4CC:rofl:

The way that she thinks and does show up and leave when it suits her is soo disrespectful to the sport, no wonder people don't take the sport seriously. I mean has anyone heard of athletes in any sport that compete once every year or two and are still considered as major contender to win the WC title, I mean just the thought of it makes me laugh.

The funny thing is that through Kim's skating clearly has regressed for obvious reasons, she doesn't seem to care, if she truly cared she would have at least attended one big competition before worlds, it's so funny when I think of her approach and compare it with Asada who competed in the GPF while injured and in pain, and exactly one year after her mother died, the difference between there approach is like heaven and earth!

4. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

I wish we had a troll emoticon. :rolleyes: will have to do.

5. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

Bots' best-troll-of-the-board competition is always a treat, but painful one.

6. dawnie

dawnie Active Member

Amy/Mary- take a deep breath and calm down. We know you can't see beyond your Mao obsession, but your "opinions" are way off base. One, Kim already committed to the Special Olympics when she became an ambassador. In addition to giving her time to that worthy cause, did you know that she also donated to children affected by the tsunami two years ago? I think I remember quite a few Mao/pro-Japan fans thanking and appreciating Kim after that. But clearly to you, Kim is still a "disrepectful" prima donna who just waltzes in to competition once a year to steal a medal from your precious Mao. Also, how exactly has Kim's skating regressed? She hasn't lost a thing in the last few years.

7. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

While Kim has skated in two events this season it wasn't against decent competition so i wonder how she will skate at Worlds. Not only that but it will have been almost 3 months since she last skated at Korean Nationals so you have to wonder how sharp she will be. Will she be in competition shape like all the other girls?

8. Amy03

Amy03 Member

firstly my name is amy03 so I would prefer it if you use it right dear dawfie
    it's funny how the smallest criticism that's based on what is happening makes one a troll..... and how does kim donating change anything I have stated? keep it to the subject you yunabots are experts when it comes to avoiding an uncomfortable subject.

9. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

1. I havent seen her do a perfect competition since the 2010 Grand Prix final. In fact I cant think of a competition she had less than 2 visible mistakes since then.

2. Even if she did a perfect competition that is unlikely to matter as far as her winning a medal when you have Kim, Asada, Kostner, 2 Russian skaters, Wagner, all probably ahead of her in odds at this point, and arguably Murakami, Gold, Korpi, and Osmond not even far behind her either, hence the very low # of votes for her. The first 3 especialy would really need to drop some bombs on the ice to place below her at this point, just look at NHK between her and Mao this year. Especialy when the entire Japanese fed. support will be behind Mao.

10. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

Yuna, Carolina, Mao.

11. cbd1235

cbd1235 Active Member

I promise I'm not picking on you!!!!!:p But Akiko only made 1 mistake total in the most recent Four Continents competition. I consider her to be pretty consistent the past couple seasons. It is rare for any skater to not make a single mistake across the span of a competition. How many ladies can you count this season and last who put out a flawless (no step outs, no two foots, no pops, no falls) competition? I'm going to say probably just a couple.

12. babayaga

babayaga Active Member

It's an interesting question - I cannot think of anyone at all :D At least among the top contenders.

13. robinhood

robinhood Active Member

The most consistent skaters are the juniors. Julia Lipnitskaia last season, and Sotnikova in the past one never put a foot wrong in the whole season.
    Once in seniors, with COP, where you cannot water down programs and expectations of the federations i consider pretty hard to be foot perfect.
    Akiko is one of the most consistent skaters, if not the most, these past 2 seasons. And she usually rotates 5-6 triples every program

14. judgejudy27

She is usually more consistent than most, however she is almost never perfect, and given the much lower scoring potential she has compared to many others she has to be perfect to capatilize on any of their mistakes. She also hasnt been as consistent this season, bombing atleast 2 competitions, and doing poorly in one program in all but her last. Lets just say I will be very surprised if Suzuki is on the World podium this year and even if she skates perfectly (hugely unlikely IMO) I would still expect her to miss the podium, and finish behind some skaters who make mistakes as well. Last two years were her opening, the field is tougher now, and with Mao in business she will never get Japanese number 1 backing again.

15. cbd1235

cbd1235 Active Member

I'd be very surprised to see her on the podium in this deep field aswell, I just don't like your argument since she is consistent.

This "Japanese Backing" politics garbage really has to go though. This does not exist, skating is a sport, politics don't play that much of a part. She is scored fairly, as is Mao, as is every other skater in the world level competitions. Her PC's are fair, there are no politics pulling her down...and there are no politics bumping Mao up. She is also scored fairly.

16. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Akiko's biggest problem is being majorly underscored in PCS, consistently.

17. shine

shine Well-Known Member

Was this post meant to be serious or? I really can't tell...

18. cbd1235

cbd1235 Active Member

Sorry yeah I'm serious ahah.

FSU almost has this obsession that results are controlled by underground skating politic organizing rings. It's a little ridiculous, like some big conspiracy theory that everyone buys into and accepts as the truth.

19. apatinar

apatinar Active Member

how did Korpi even make this list?

20. Skater91

Skater91 New Member

I predict worlds to end up like this....

1. Yuna Kim
    2. Mao Asada
    3. Carolina Kostner
    4. Akiko Suzuki
    5. Elizaveta Tuktamisheva
    6. Ashley Wagner
    7. Kanako Murakami
    8. Adelina Sotnikova
    9. Kiira Korpi
    10. Valentina Marchei
    11. Gracie Gold
    12. Zijun Li
    13. Kaetlyn Osmond

(From here down they could go either way, they are unpredictable but this is my best guess!)

14. Viktoria Helgesson
    15. Kexin Zhang
    16. Mae Berenice Meite
    17. Elene Gedevanisvili
    18. Sonia Lafuente
    19. Nathalie Weinzierl
    20. Elena Glebova
    21. Jenna McCorkell

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  21. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Mao, Yuna, and then I'm not sure for bronze but I think it's between Carolina, Liza, and Akiko, maybe Ashley. My money is on Liza to sneak away with bronze though.

22. judgejudy27

NHK 2012. The end.

23. Proustable

Proustable New Member

She's going for seven triples in the long and will score 30/60 PCS if clean. She's not a strong contender, and her injury means she's definitely a question mark, but I definitely wouldn't underestimate her. If Li or Gold can be on this list (two skaters that she has beaten this season) than I don't see what's wrong with Korpi on it.

24. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

If Gracie hadn't skated a sloppy LP at COR she would have beaten Korpi by more then a few points.

25. Proustable

Proustable New Member

And if ice wasn't slippery......

26. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

I wonder about that - is she really that much underscored? As for skating skills - yes, her speed is one of the best, definitely better than Asada's, but she seems to have a lot of two-footed skating compared to Mao, especially in the FS. She also consistently fails to get level 4 on her step sequences - could it be that her speed is the reason, or it's another problem? Mao also has better posture, lines and overall grace, although Akiko is definitely not bad either. As for interpretation and choreography, I would agree that she should get similar marks to Mao there. I am not an expert when it comes to transitions, though.

27. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

I'm loving the poll above - Yu Na, Mao, Carolina. Let Ashley continue the game of low expectations

28. sonya71

sonya71 New Member

Based on Best Season's Scores:

1. Mao 205.65 (4CC)
    2. Carolina 203.33 (ICC + Euros)
    3. Yuna 201.61 (NRWT)
    4. Adelina 193.99 (Euros)
    5. Ashley 193.98 (GPF + TEB)

I think it will be:

1. Mao
    2. Yuna
    3. Carolina
    4. Adelina
    5. Ashley

because Carolina's best score is combined from two different competitions (as is Ashley's) and while none of the skaters can be expected to be note-perfect, Carolina has a proven track record of being more inconsistent than Mao or Yuna.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  29. Tanja90

Tanja90 New Member

Why is everybody thinking that carolina is more inconsistent than yuna and mao?
    I mean, yes she was really inconsistent in the past but since worlds 2010 she has never been out of the podium and last year she never finished less than second!
    She turned into a different skater since Vancouver. The old carolina would have failed in Nice last year knowing it was her best chance to win the title...and would have failed in other multiple occasions like the grand prix final in Quebec or this years europeans...
    We cannot say the same thing about mao who had two hard seasons and she is coming back on track only lately but still she has issues with underrotations...or yuna who has been away from competition for more than a year and the two competitions she had since worlds 2011 were on a poor fields.
    I am not saying that for sure carolina will skate a clean program in London but these three have the same chances of doing great!
    And if they skate clean the podium will be between them! no way that another skater can rival them if thay skate well!

30. rosewood

rosewood Wheeee! Wonder babies!

My prediction is
    1. Mao
    2. Carolina
    3. Adelina
    4. Akiko
    5. Liza
    6. Yuna
    7. Ashley

3.4.5. are difficult to predict.