2013 ISU World Team Trophy, April 11-14, in Tokyo

Discussion in 'Kiss And Cry 2014-2015' started by Sylvia, Feb 12, 2013.

1. gingercat

gingercat Active Member

Wow! A stupid event! A chance for skaters to make Very good money, get out in front of top ISU judges in a fun and electric atmosphere, feel the spport of a team... and so much more. It is a great opportunity to those that choose to enjoy it that way! They should have a missfit team for those countries with just one good skater! How fun would it be to see Denis Ten,
    Yu Na Kim, ... On a team together!

2. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

It would be cool to have a mixed team, but I'd have the feeling that the mixed team would have stronger skaters overall.

3. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

A healthy Lysacek landing jumps wouldn't have gotten PCS to beat Ross Miner? Surely you jest.

4. Eislauffan

Eislauffan Well-Known Member

The French Fed sent out a press release announcing their team and according to this, Nathalie Pechalat/Fabian Bourzat are not coming (no reason given). Pernelle Carron/Lloyd Jones are listed instead.
    Also, Romain Ponsart replaces Florent Amodio.

5. stjeaskategym

stjeaskategym Well-Known Member

The timing of it is tough... Maybe some skaters have been working through injuries up until Worlds and now need time to recuperate instead of push hard for an extra 3 or 4 weeks... It would probably be better if WTT was held in conjunction with actual Worlds (like how it will be during the Olympics). If it was held, say, 2 days after Worlds concludes, I think more skaters might be able to do it. (It would be tiring, but I think the skaters would get used to the schedule over time.)

6. Eislauffan

It is actually not a bad idea, but it gets the costs higher and you might have a problem with the spectators. Not everybody will be able to stay for both Worlds and WTT and the locals will have enough if there are ten days of competition.
    Other sports do it, though. Judo holds their team event at Europeans the day after the indivual events, but it is only one day for the team event.

I think this year the fact that we have the Olympic season coming up is hurting the team event a lot. A lot of the top skaters want to take a break now (or do some shows and then have their break) and start their preparation early for the Olympic year. The WTT doesn't really fit into their schedule.

7. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I thought if they declined WTT they couldn't do shows?

8. Eislauffan

Correct, but IIRC in a certain frame of time during and around WTT. So if someone did shows right after Worlds they might be ok. I need to look at the announcement to be sure, though. I guess the biggest issue for skaters it that they would need to keep training for WTT and can't really have a longer break.

9. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Thanks for this. Originally (when news of this came out), it was to have taken place near the end, a day before the closing cerems. Now this is ridiculous. With their big competitions upcoming, why would the skaters care about this? If anything, this new fluff will now take away from their concentration on the four classic events....a CHEESY ADVERTISING for the Main Courses. A real cheapening of the real events.

10. VIETgrlTerifa

Maybe the ISU wants this to evolve to become THE premier event of figure skating. People like rooting for teams based on nationality in other sports, and maybe the ISU is trying to sell figure skating as such now.

I still think the structure of mixed-disciplines is a bit strange, but hey, what do I know?

BTW, with the schedule the way it is, which discipline do you think will be effected the most? The first two (pairs and men) or the latter two who compete on the second week of the Olympics (ice dance and ladies)?

I wonder if this will create even more debate about who would have won what if they didn't have to compete two weeks earlier for the ice dancers/ladies (or compete at peak performance with little opportunities to recharge in-between for the pairs/men) and mess up their practice schedule, endurance, etc.

11. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

I’d prefer that as well. It does not make sense to introduce a World team Trophy and bring this type of competition to Olympics when in non-olympic years it’s only kind of 2nd class event due to the amount of withdrawals by skaters. :(

But for spectators it might be even more costly to attend two separate events (double cost of travelling). And those locals who are annoyed with a competition lasting for ten days instead of seven days probably would also be annoyed in case the event lasted only for two days. ;)

12. Eislauffan

In the two previous editions, the attendance of top skaters was better. Almost everybody was there. As I said above, I think this time it is really the upcoming Olympic season that hurt the event.

Also true. About the locals I just thought it would be more difficult to attract local spectators to all events as they probably would not watch so much figure skating (unless, hopefully, they got really hooked). :)

13. KatieC

KatieC Well-Known Member

I'm almost positive hockey games have started prior to the opening ceremonies. Maybe it's the first time figure skating has been early. This would mean skaters would have to get there good and early and get acclimatized.

14. A.H.Black

A.H.Black Well-Known Member

Yep. As far back as 1976, Innsbruck, Hockey started 2 days before the Opening Ceremonies. If anyone is interested http://www.marcolympics.org/ is a fabulous site for Olympic information.

KatieC and (deleted member) like this.
  15. nlyoung

nlyoung Active Member

On the other hand, skaters who win a team medal might feel the pressure lifted and skate better as a result in their individual competition... Or they may skate poorly in the team event and step it up the second time through...

16. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Stick a fork in it!

The way it looks at the moment - with a lot of the 'big names' cancelling - the ISU might as well not hold the event at all. :/

But you are right that in previous years it was well attended and it's probably the combination of a lot of injuries taking place together with the Olympic season preparations.

Yes, that would make much more sense.

17. VIETgrlTerifa

Look on the bright side. At least the lesser-ranked skaters have a chance to get more exposure.

18. casken

casken Well-Known Member

Ugh. The dance event is going to be a snooze-fest. :scream:

19. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

And we get to see them, which is definitely far more interesting than a rehash of the programs we've just watched at Worlds.

20. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

I suspect most of the lower-ranked skaters are thrilled to be there and will give the fans their money's worth.

victorskid and (deleted member) like this.
  21. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

I like the idea of a team event in theory, but I think the way they are going about it is, well, I would give them a low P/E mark, if you know what I mean.

Is skating picking up any new fans at the Olympics? People who come back and watch it the following year? If the answer is no or not many, why does anyone think doubling the same product will help?

I wish they had come up with a different format, without programs, that incorporated elements of "top jump" and expanded it to include spins, rotational lifts, throw jumps, etc. They would have to put that at then end, because if you put it before the individual events, everyone would be holding back.

22. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

I thought this event has ceased to exist as spectators were actually not very much interested t to watch elements only (= jumps). I don’t see how the team event can be made more popular by following such a format. Beside that I don`t think it could be any longer considered as an event reflecting the team strength in overall figure skating of the participating countries, but just their strength in TES. :shuffle:

23. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

I agree that a skills competition won't work - casual fans have never shown interest in such things, more involved fans certainly haven't, and it tosses away much of the appeal of skating.

Scheduling it last is an unfortunate decision - made, according to Dore, because the US network (NBC?) insisted on showing the ladies last. :rolleyes: Obviously skaters will have to figure out how to conserve their energy; my guess is that the men's and pairs competition within the team event will be most strongly affected. But OTOH, there are skaters who know they have little chance at an individual medal but could contribute to a team medal, and I imagine they will put a more serious effort into the team event.

The rest of the disciplines have stronger fields, though, even the men's field where there have been some WDs too. With dance being single entry, the effects of WDs is felt more strongly.

24. nuge

nuge Well-Known Member

I was surprised that P/B were taking part anyway.I thought he would be recovering from his injury and then work on new stuff .:rolleyes:
    I'm glad it will give them more time and C/J need this as P/C will be on their heels soon :)

25. bmcg

bmcg Well-Known Member

I won't be watching. And they do put restrictions on skaters who choose not to compete. I'm also sure some skaters enjoy competing, especially those who don't get a lot of assignments, they are probably thrilled to be going.

But I still think it's stupid and I think the whole concept is a breeding ground for all the problems we want out of skating. I don't TRUST the event at all. If people think individual skating is judged according to nationality just wait to see what happens next year with a team event on the schedule. I think last years was used for to settle scores from Nice, I think the whole circus people (and many here) expected the skaters to put on in the K&C ridiculous.

I would MUCH rather see synchro added to the Olympics. Put a cap on the top 6-8 qualifiers from the previous worlds if you need to keep numbers down but the event could be done in two days just like the team event. It may "hardly be the same" to you but the top teams in the world make a lot of sacrifices to skate synchro and work really hard on and off the ice and as a fan of figure skating I like to watch ALL the disciplines of figure skating.

26. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

I actually agree that synchro should be an Olympic event. I just don't see team and synchro as 1. mutually exclusive or 2. particularly similar. So as far as i'm concerned, having a (well thought out) team event and a synchro event would be ideal. Obviously the IOC/ISU aren't interested in bringing in more skaters, though :(

27. IceIceBaby

IceIceBaby Active Member

The level of rhe syncro teams is very diverse. There are only four countries (USA, Canada, Sweden,Finland) who always win medals in turns. The rest of the teams are very far behind.

28. gingercat

gingercat Active Member

All of you that keep saying how terrible this event is, you need to watch clips from last year to see all the sad unhappy faces on the skaters. They all look misserable being there! Really, it is and should be ok for skaters to just enjoy an event. Have any of you trained on the ice 6 days a week 4+ hours a day? Lighten up and just enjoy!

jamesy, flutzilla1, CassAgain and 3 others like this.
  29. rvi5

rvi5 Active Member

Perhaps that is part of the reason why Synchronized Skating has not been an Olympic event. After Vancouver, women's hockey was given an ultimatum by the IOC...if after 8 years, the various teams do not show signs of becoming more equal, the event would be removed from the Olympics. Currently Canada and the US battle for Gold and Silver, while Finland and Sweden fight over the Bronze. The other teams are nowhere near the podium. The Canadian and US team typically defeat them by double digit scores.

30. IceIceBaby

IceIceBaby Active Member

It's actually quite funny that those same four countries are also ruling the women's hockey, too :)