2013 ISU World Team Trophy, April 11-14, in Tokyo

Discussion in 'Kiss And Cry 2014-2015' started by Sylvia, Feb 12, 2013.

1. A.H.Black

A.H.Black Well-Known Member

In looking at the schedule in the ISU announcement, I find it unusual that pairs is not first, but third. Pairs and ladies free will be the last events. I find it even more puzzling considering Japan has no pairs team.

Question - For Sochi, I understand that substitutions will be allowed - so the same skater does not have to skate both the short and the free. For example - Gracie Gold could skate the short and Ashley Wagner could skate the free. I'm assuming there are no substitutions for this year's World Team Competition.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  2. Sylvia

Sylvia Fretting that Worlds is over...

Correct. Both singles skaters on each team must compete their SP and FS, just like in 2009 and 2012.

3. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

The ISU can elect to kick the team out if the top skaters elect not to compete:

but I suspect the Japanese Federation/event sponsor and Japanese TV would not be so pleased if this were to happen.

Re: Abbott, he was one of three US Men whose points were used for the US team's eligibility -- Aaron and Miner were the others -- and since none of them were both Top 2 WS for the US -- Abbott was 1 and Miner was 2 -- and Top 10 at Worlds -- only Aaron was -- USFS complied with the rules by choosing Abbott and Miner. Similarly, there were three US Pairs teams that contributed points, with the top two WS teams being D/C and C/S, but the only Top 10 at Worlds team, S/K, was WS 3 for the US, and the USFS could choose any of the three.

Also, if a skater/team withdraws due to illness or injury, "The Skater/Couple withdrawn for any reason, including injury or illness, cannot take part in any skating event until the date decided and published by the ISU." It would be safer for V/M to elect not to compete than get an injury withdrawal, because the ISU could pick a date after Canadian Stars on Ice, were it to be in a punitive mood.

There are all kinds of land mines in that document.

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  4. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

Congrats to Abbott on being selected to represent the US. I'm sure he has been training hard for this shot. I wish him well.

5. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

I wish they would have a World All Star team featuring the highest ranking (& available) skater / team in each discipline who doesn't represent a country already competing.

6. casken

casken Well-Known Member

Me too, but that team would probably always win easily.

I'm not 100% on the qualification guidelines, but I assume it would be something like Kim/Kostner, Ten/Fernandez, S&S in pairs and C&L in dance? That would destroy every other team.

7. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

It will hurt both the teams though.

8. shan

shan Well-Known Member

How so?

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  9. dots

dots Well-Known Member

Well without D/W the US chances plummet to pretty much 0 .

Something tells me W/P will beat B/S this time.

10. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

If Worlds-like results prevail (bold is confirmed), and I'm guessing for the non-Worlds skaters:

Ladies:
    3rd Asada (JPN)-12
    5th Wagner (USA)-11
    6th Gold (USA)-10
    7th: Li (CHN)-9
    8th: Osmond (CAN)-8
    9th: Sotnikova (RUS) (tentative)-7
    10th: Tuktamysheva (RUS) (tentative)-6
    11th: Meite (FRA)-5
    12th: Suzuki (JPN)-4

Possible: K. Zhang (CHN, 23rd WC, 10th 4CC)-3?, Gilleron-Gorry (FRA, 11th EC)-2?, Lacoste (CAN, 9th 4CC)-1

USA: 21
    RUS: 17
    JPN: 16
    CHN: 12
    CAN: 9
    FRA: 7

Men:
    1st: Chan (CAN)-12
    5th: Reynolds (CAN)-11
    6th: Takahashi (JPN)-10
    7th: Aaron (USA)-8
    8th: Mura (JPN)-7
    9th: Joubert (FRA)-6
    12th: Amodio (FRA)-5
    15th: Song (CHN)-3
    27th: Kovtun (RUS)-2 (tentative)

Confirmed: Abbott (USA, 2nd at GP)-4, Menshov (RUS, 4th at GP, tentative)-1

Possible: Yan (CHN, 3rd 4CC)-9

CAN: 23
    JPN: 17
    CHN: 12
    USA: 12
    FRA: 11
    RUS: 3

Dance:
    3rd: B/S (RUS, tentative)-12
    5th: W/P (CAN)-11
    6th: P/B (FRA)-10
    7th: C/B (USA)-9
    20th: R/R (JPN)-8

Possible: Huang/Zheng (CHN, 7th GP) or Y/W (9th 4CC)-7

Pairs:
    1st: V/T (RUS, tentative)-12
    3rd: D/R (CAN)-11
    5th: P/T (CHN)-- probably will not skate due to injury
    8th: J/C (FRA)-10
    11th: P/Z (CHN)-9
    13th: C/S (USA)-8

No Japanese team. JPN-0

If the Worlds results held, and I'm not far off the other possible skaters, then the results would be:

CAN: 54
    USA: 50
    RUS: 44
    JPN: 41
    CHN: 40
    FRA: 38

Obviously a D/W win is much better than a likely C/B 4th, but even a second brings 170K to split eight ways, not so shabby. Of course, if Chan underachieves and Castelli/Shnapir or Abbott overachieve, those results would be quite different, but the Russian Ladies might surpass their Worlds performances, the French Men could redeem themselves, the Russian Men might have a revival, and Suzuki could have the performance she needed in London, etc.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  11. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

Yup, pretty much!

12. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Why did they pick C/S as the Pairs team? S/K just beat them at Worlds and are already as good if not better. Between that and no D/W the US has no chance at all. I also was kinda wishing someone like Josh Farris would get a spot just like last year with Gracie it would be good experience for him.

13. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Why did they pick C/S as the Pairs team? S/K just beat them at Worlds and are already as good if not better. Between that and no D/W the US has no chance at all. I also was kinda wishing someone like Josh Farris would get a spot just like last year with Gracie it would be good experience for him. I would have rather seen Dornbush then Abbott. I kind of wish Ashley had bowed out too i think she's worn out from this season.

14. figureit

figureit Active Member

S/K are not ranked above C/S on World rankings. Simply because of their newness on International scene. So I guess USFS made a judgment call there. Bummer! Oh well S/K can get started on their Olympic season and C/S get another opportunity to skate with a large payoff.

I wish josh Farris was going he would have stolen the show !! I hope the US can at least get silver again but I fear other countries are thinking it is their time to pass the US up! We' ll see

15. Sylvia

Sylvia Fretting that Worlds is over...

Or perhaps Scimeca has elected to rest and heal her foot fully? Castelli/Shnapir skated a very good FS at Worlds and I'm glad they are getting the opportunity to go to WTT.

16. figureit

figureit Active Member

As with D/W if they were chosen first and decided to decline that probably would have been mentioned in the IN article and announcement. They are most probably alternates. Also Scimecas foot is obviously healed given their placement at Worlds and per their articles that I have read so we should not keep that one going. I also read they are students and work to pay for their skating. so the award financially would help them.. .. But it is also nice that C/S get another opportunity as well. They seemed disappointed because they did skate so well and did not get the marks they wanted. Maybe with less pressure and in a team event it will go better. Such a cool format this team competition.

17. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

Thank you. Yes, that I was thinking.

I can see that happening, W/P have a great fd.

18. Spun Silver

Spun Silver Well-Known Member

I can't wait to see Jeremy again and wash the sight of his Nationals out of my eyes.

19. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I was thinking you meant that it would hurt the ice dance teams themselves, not the country's team. :lol: Oops! Thanks for clarifying.

20. jjane45

jjane45 Active Member

Unofficial report on the Chinese WTT team posted in tieba:

Men: YAN Han, SONG Nan
    Ladies: LI Zijun, ZHAO Ziquan (ZHANG Kexin still injured)
    Pairs: PENG Cheng / ZHANG Hao
    Dance: YU Xiaoyang / WANG Chen

21. casken

casken Well-Known Member

Looking forward to seeing Yan again. :cheer:

No Huang/Zheng. I wonder what happened to them.

Japan at least has a shot at not finishing last in dance now.

22. Dilng

Dilng Well-Known Member

It might just be the same. :(

23. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

*cries*

Poland could theoretically field a team yes.

Ladies: Agata Kryger
    Men: Maciej Cieplucha
    Pairs: Klatka/Chruscinski or Lech/Tyc
    Ice Dance: Plutowska/Gerber (or Zvorigina/Bernadowski if her citizenship gets sorted which probably wouldn't be hard)

But yeah... :shuffle:

Not a very clever decision given they placed behind Scimeca/Knierim at Worlds. And S/K are going to be the team to beat next season at US Nationals, for sure (unless they split up by then :p).

They don't give a rat's ass?

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  24. Marco

Marco Well-Known Member

Well, V&M aren't coming so they are virtually guaranteed the win. They are popular in Japan and it's very good money for such a low pressure event.

25. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

They'll probably get some endorsements or some other crap following the Worlds win. Maybe some motivational speaking for a cardboard box producing company or something like that which will end up paying more. :p

26. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Whee excited to get to see Zijun Li and Han Yan again! (And Nan Song too...the skating is boring but the rest is :smokin: ) :lol:

27. quiqie

quiqie Well-Known Member

28. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

The article I read just said they want to begin preperation for the next season. I think if you are not injured you can not attend, but the ISU sanctions you in that you cannot perform anywhere else until after the event. That way people don't skip WTT for shows.

I'm surprised they aren't going though- they've always said in the past they enjoyed the event. Then again, they are so well media trained, they probably would say they enjoy anything USFS requires them to attend. But Chock/Bates could probably use the money and exposure.

29. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

It actually makes a lot of sense politically to send Chock/Bates. They are the 'IT' team at the moment. On the rise, really strong technically, present their programs well. I have no doubt they will be the top US team after D/W retire.

30. centerpt1

centerpt1 Well-Known Member

Back when the WTT started, no one cared much about it. Now fans are interested in having their favorites attend.

Do the skater's individual scores count towards seasons best score or season/world ranking points?