2013 ISU World Team Trophy, April 11-14, in Tokyo

Discussion in 'Kiss And Cry 2014-2015' started by Sylvia, Feb 12, 2013.

1. A.H.Black

A.H.Black Well-Known Member

Something I still don't understand.

- Can Japan compete in this competition without a pair team?
    - Do we know for sure?

- I understand there will be up to 10 countries in the Team Competition at Sochi. Are there 10 countries that can field teams in all four disciplines? Can a country compete there without an entry in one discipline? Do we know yet?

2. Sylvia

Sylvia Worlds is HERE & NOW!

For more information on the team event in Sochi, see this Sochi qualification thread: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...g-Team-Event&p=3872936&viewfull=1#post3872936
    ETA: There's a preliminary calculation of the top qualified teams based on 2013 ISU Championships results in post #45.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  3. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Yes, though in some cases there are notable weak links. Looking at entries to this season's ISU Championships, in addition to the six WTT entries (Japan will be able to field a pair by next season), there's also Italy, Germany, the UK, Ukraine, Austria and Belarus. Possibly Poland as well? I am not sure whether Spain has a pairs team at the moment. But IIRC, it is allowed to field a team with skaters in only three disciplines.

4. casken

casken Well-Known Member

I hope they do. It was fun watching Moir grumble through the whole thing. :lol:

5. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Probably they will, provided he's healthy and wants to go. Miner laid an egg at his last 2 competitions so some time to rest and regroup and get his confidence back is the better call at this point I think, then if Max wants to go I'm sure he'll get the 2nd spot, and if he doesn't, probably Rippon or Dornbush will go, but probably Rippon.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  6. PinkFeathers

PinkFeathers Active Member

I'd like to see a Max and Jeremy team. Max needs all the international experience he can get, and Jeremy.. well, he's just a sentimental favorite. He may or may not want it, though. WTT is likely one of the best things about the season ending, so I'm sure it'll be great regardless. I'll miss Team Italy's antics in the K&C tho.

ETA: I hope the ISU airs it for free again on their stream. That was so very awesome of them.

7. Marco

Marco Well-Known Member

Didn't Abbott turn down 4CCs saying he had to keep training for Worlds as he was 1st alternate? If he had kept training, I would love to see what he could produce in this high level but low pressure event.

8. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

9. Piper

Piper Member

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  10. homura

homura New Member

Japanese Team
    Men : Daisuke Takahashi, Takahito Mura
    Ladies : Mao Asada, Akiko Suzuki
    Pairs : none
    Dance : Cathy Reed / Chris Reed

11. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

Yeah! Akiko!

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  12. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

Wow, I'm surprised but hope Akiko can rebound and leave the season with a gorgeous NHK/4CC performance of her LP.

13. IceIceBaby

IceIceBaby Active Member

How is Team Japan going to compete without a pair? Will they automatically place last or could they still even medal?

14. Sylvia

Re-posting from the Top 24 Season Best Scores Updated thread:
    Weaver/Poje reportedly are going to WTT (refer to link in post #68); Scott Moir has confirmed in a radio interview that he and Virtue are not going.

ETA typo correction for kwanfan1818's list: "Kovtun (WC 551)" should read "Kovtun (WC 222)." The 551 WS points were for his 5th place at Euros and the calculation criterion reads:

15. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Thank you for pointing that out, Sylvia. It should actually read:

Kovtun (WC 222, EC 551)
    Menshov (GP 292)
    Voronov (GP 324)

Kovtun's Worlds score has to be counted first, before any EC results are used.

As far as V/M being out, last year, RUS sent B/L, who were similar to W/P, in that they had a Top 10 finish at WC and were the 2nd-ranked WS Pairs team for RUS.

16. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Do they do total points or ordinals based on placement in each event? Because it seems like if it is ordinals, the pairs team would probably just get the last placement, and they could possibly still medal on the strength of other disciplines, though that is really unlikely (since their dance team won't place high either). If they do total points, there is no way they could make up a 0 in pairs.

17. Sylvia

From the Announcement linked in post #1: http://isu.sportcentric.net/db//files/serve.php?id=3967

18. Jenifer

Jenifer Active Member

They do ordinals. However, if I remember correctly from last year, the first place singles skaters got 12 points and the last place 1, while the first place dance and pair teams also got 12 points, the last place teams getting 7. My question would be, if Japan has no pair team, do they get 7 points for placing "last" or no points for not fielding a team? Given that the scoring system is heavily biased in favour of countries with strong singles skaters and weak pairs and ice dance teams (i.e., Japan), I would at least hope that they wouldn't get 7 points without even having an entry while other countries have to make up for singles skaters earning only 1 or 2 points.

19. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Are we sure Voronov wasn't offered WTT and just turned it down, hence the assignment of Kovtun? The situation might be as simple and unpolitical as that honestly..

20. Skittl1321

Reading that official document it doesn't seem like there has been any thought given to what happens when a country doesn't field a team in a discipline.

It does seem weird that the event is weighted so singles counts more than pairs and dance.

21. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

This could be true but kovtun points should have ended at the jgpf. But then it it's also true he may have done jr worlds and got Points there and maybe after a voronov wd he would have had enough points to go. But all points earned after the jgpf are all politics and kovtun having great lobbyists to send him places.

22. shsocu

shsocu Active Member

23. emma1227

emma1227 New Member

Excited that Abbott, has he been training?

24. Tak

Tak Well-Known Member

Does anyone know why D/W are not coming? Is one of them injured? I thought that was the only reason the federation could substitute someone else.

25. Sylvia

The Icenetwork version of the press release includes this sentence:
    "Meryl Davis and Charlie White have elected not to compete at World Team Trophy so they may focus on their training for the upcoming Olympic season."

Davis/White can elect not to compete at WTT as long as they comply with this provision of the Announcement:
    ETA: Abbott is the top ranked U.S. man (#8) in the current ISU World Standings.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  26. casken

casken Well-Known Member

Really liking how this roster is shaping up. Abbott is a nice addition, and I'm happy to see Mura and Suzuki there as well.

Not having D&W and V&M there opens the dance event up and should make for a fun battle between B&S, W&P, and hopefully P&B, if they show.

I just wish Italy qualified. They were so :cheer::cheer2: last year.

27. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

Japan is hosting the event and Japanese TV is putting up the money, so I suspect that either the Japanese federation or TV people had some say in the event being weighted more towards singles, since that is what Japan is good at. This isn't meant to be a slam on Japan BTW - the event is pretty fluffy and ultimately doesn't mean a lot in the grand scheme, so I have no problem with the people who are organizing it and paying for it having some say in what the rules are for the team total.

28. Skittl1321

Since this event served somewhat as a trial for the Olympic team event, is the weighting THERE going to be uneven as well?

29. misskarne

misskarne #408

At the team event in Sochi, though, there's only one man and one lady on each team, not two.

30. Sylvia