2013 Hollins Trophy, WinterSun, other Australian & New Zealand competitions

Discussion in 'Kiss And Cry 2014-2015' started by Sylvia, Jun 9, 2013.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia Club comp. season is here!

2. misskarne

misskarne #408

Oh my god the Junior and Senior comps this year were a mess. Splat, splat, splat, unders, downgrades everywhere. Skaters angry with the tech panel's rulings. A skater having money in her pocket when she went out for the warmup which promptly scattered everywhere. Spins not held. Timings all skew-iff. We didn't get done with the Senior Men's til nearly midnight.

3. insideedgeua

insideedgeua Member

Skating that late? No wonder they weren't at their best. Skaters time their arrivals and warm ups. They can factor in running a bit late, but hours and hours late can really throw them off.

4. sammyf

sammyf Well-Known Member

Skaters who met the minimum TES here for the international pool. http://www.isa.org.au/Documents/High_Performance/Policy HP-02 - ISA International Benchmark.pdf They need to meet short and free skate, some only met one or the other and it's listed below. Some of them seem much harder than others like 20TES for free for Novice ladies. A lot of skaters have already met the criteria and didn't need to meet it again http://www.isa.org.au/Documents/High_Performance/Policy HP-02 - ISA International Benchmark.pdf

Senior Ladies
    Chantelle KERRY

Senior Men
    Andrew DODDS

Senior Pairs
    Paris STEPHENS / Matthew DODDS

Junior Ladies
    Kailani CRAINE
    Serena XU
    Renee HAMBLY
    Jenny LU
    Yancey CHAN
    Kirsten HARGREAVES
    Tahli GILL
    Haru NOMURA -Short only
    Sarah CULLEN -Free only
    Kristin SECOLA -Free only
    Rachel CAUGHLEY -Free only

Junior Men
    Charlton DOHERTY

Junior Pairs
    Eliza SMYTH / Jordan DODDS -Short only

Junior Dance
    Matilda FRIEND / Patrick ADDERLEY -Skated short only
    Rhiarna LAGOUTARIS / Thomas MASTERS -Skated short only

Novice Ladies
    Amelia SADLER
    Marga MIDORIKAWA
    Amelia JACKSON -Short only
    Endillion KENYON -Short only
    Paris STEPHENS -Short only

Novice Men
    James THOMPSON
    James MIN -Short only

5. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

I'm happy if I see a skater land some clean doubles, rather than going for harder jumps they're only iffy with.

6. misskarne

misskarne #408

The 20 TES in the Novice Ladies seems a little...excessive? Or is that just me?

7. sk8ingcoach

sk8ingcoach Active Member

I disagree. Would much rather see a skater risk a high placement by going for triples than doing doubles. It makes it more exciting. Kailani is a good example, she could easily go win with clean doubles by goes for the triples even when the are cheated.

8. sk8ingcoach

sk8ingcoach Active Member

Anyone have new favourite programs for this season ???

9. misskarne

misskarne #408

NOT anybody's Matrix. By the third one in two days I was thoroughly sick of the music.

Really liked Jordan and Eliza's SP in the pairs. Just gorgeous.

10. misskarne

misskarne #408

Oh, now I remember which program was my absolute favourite!

It was a Junior lady (and I'll be jiggered if I can remember her name), but she had the biggest double Axel I've ever seen and her short program was a super excellent Lady Gaga mix. It was brilliant! I wish I could remember her name!

11. AusTechSpec

AusTechSpec Member

Exactly, the girls not even trying the triples and double axels in Junior are only going to look like a joke. I guess it's fine if you have no intention of EVER competing internationally...

12. AusTechSpec

AusTechSpec Member

(Renee Hambly) The skater with the ridiculous hair do that made it look like she had an afro that continued onto her shoulders in both programs? It drew away from her skating, which in some part worked in her favour as she is not a very artistic skater in the first place. Her strong jumps will save her on this, but she needs to be having more goes at the triples, I have seen Renee Hambly land triples many years ago and I realize that she is probably going through body changes which can shake the consistency of your jumps but it just seems as though she is going backwards technically speaking..

Cant say I agree with you on the pair team either. They missed elements which is understandably a downer, but the entire program looked like they had given up and didn't want to be there from the get go. Lots of sour looks and no feeling. Both other teams, including the not as technically advanced novice team are much better to watch for this reason.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  13. AusTechSpec

AusTechSpec Member

Did everyone like the rink? Has been a long time since I have been to an event there. Not a bad facility although a little cold.
    Would not mind to have Hollins there more often, never was a big fan of canterbury. Although I can't imagine them wanting to give up their interstate event to another rink.

All in all the competition was well run, minus the schedule which had our senior divisions skating very late nights. Not exactly in the best interest of the skaters, then again, i can't think whose interest it would have been in at any rate.

14. AusTechSpec

AusTechSpec Member

Sorry for the multiple posts, I haven't quite mastered the multi quote function yet :p

On a final note, has anyone made a thread for the Australian International later this year yet? "Skate Downunder" I would be happy to make it just not sure which section? Kiss&Cry?

15. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

I liked Renee because she was a breath of fresh air and definitely showed some personality out there on the ice. And she was interesting and memorable in a very good way and I enjoyed her. However she is only 14 years old so I think to be negative about her is uncalled for.

16. misskarne

misskarne #408

She's only 14? Wow! I still can't get over the size of that double Axel - some of the men there would have been jealous.

17. misskarne

misskarne #408

Trying to find Wintersun results is like pulling bloody teeth...

18. Aussie Willy

Well they are volunteers and probably working their butts off. Maybe they haven't had time to do it.

19. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

If positions were advertised as internships, there would be a lot more free workers to help with speeding up these things.

20. Aussie Willy

Someone has to find the time to do that as well.

If this was a professional sport, where those involved got paid you could have expectations of what needs to get done. However with a purely volunteer workforce it is basically people remembering to do things and having the ability to do things. Most people volunteering in skating are learning on the job. And then when someone moves on (usually parents whose kids have dropped out of the sport) there is not much of handover and people have to learn things from scratch.

You want to see it happen go and offer your services to make sure it is done.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
  21. synchrogirl17

synchrogirl17 New Member

22. misskarne

misskarne #408

23. sammyf

sammyf Well-Known Member

I've added the skaters who met the international score at wintersun to the hollins list.

Senior Ladies
    Chantelle KERRY

Senior Men
    Andrew DODDS
    Jordan DODDS -wintersun

Senior Pairs
    Paris STEPHENS / Matthew DODDS

Junior Ladies
    Kailani CRAINE
    Serena XU
    Renee HAMBLY
    Jenny LU
    Yancey CHAN
    Kirsten HARGREAVES
    Tahli GILL
    Taylor DEAN -wintersun
    Kristin SECOLA -hollins free, wintersun short
    Haru NOMURA -Short only
    Sarah CULLEN -Free only
    Rachel CAUGHLEY -Free only

Junior Men
    Charlton DOHERTY
    Ryan DODDS -Short only wintersun
    Darian KAPTICH -Free only wintersun (not age eligible for junior)

Junior Pairs
    Eliza SMYTH / Jordan DODDS -wintersun

Junior Dance
    Matilda FRIEND / Patrick ADDERLEY -wintersun
    Rhiarna LAGOUTARIS / Thomas MASTERS -wintersun

Novice Ladies
    Amelia SADLER
    Marga MIDORIKAWA
    Endillion KENYON -Short hollins, free wintersun
    Amelia JACKSON -Short hollins, free wintersun
    Paris STEPHENS -Short only
    Emma CARR -short wintersun
    Alexandra SHEPHERD -short wintersun

Novice Men
    James THOMPSON
    James MIN -Short hollins, free wintersun

Last edited: Jul 6, 2013
  24. AndyWarhol

im more than happy to advertise and screen/interview interns for you. I used interns a lot in my business.. the fashion industry wouldn't survive without them.

25. Aussie Willy

Why would we go through a process of looking for interns when we really just need people to do stuff? Offering to spend time and effort on something like that could be better spent on actually working at a competition, including doing judging, learn to do the computers, playing music at events, doing announcing, being a competition convenor, running test sessions, etc etc.

Seriously if you want to help the sport maybe contact the local club or state association and offer your services to do something such as what I have listed above. Ask individuals involved what is needed. I can tell you now interviewing people for some ill-defined role is not what we need. We have other priorities that deal with the day running of the sport and we really just need volunteers who are willing to learn various roles and commit to being there.

26. AndyWarhol

Last edited: Jul 6, 2013
  27. TheIronLady

TheIronLady Well-Known Member

Why wouldn't you consider taking the time to give someone the incentive by creating an internship? I'm not surprised you get no help. Other organizations find ways to encourage talented students by advertising work experiences they can put on their resumes-- and find ways to make the interns feel valued and important. You have got to start somewhere. Just expecting help on your own terms may not be enough.

28. Aussie Willy

Please don't assume that is a reason why we have trouble getting volunteers. Maybe go and talk to a club and ask them what they need instead of assuming what the answer is.

29. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

AW - what do you think the reason for not having enough volunteers is?

Plenty of places promote interns instead of volunteers because it sounds better on a resume. Essentially the same work, different title. I actually know a lot of skating clubs (and other sports clubs and organisations) doing this, and they have more dedicated, long-term volunteers/interns, better training (because it's not just for one thing/event) and are more organised because of it.

30. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

I don't know the answer, but having volunteered and working in an organisation which takes in volunteers (particularly students), I do know that there are substantial paper work and obligation involved in relation to accepting 'volunteers' - eg. legal, insurance and OHS. If there are children involved, then all volunteers need to have a blue card. If any volunteers get hurt during their volunteering time, the organisation is liable. I can only guess that unless the organisation has a proper structure and manpower in place to take care of the volunteers, you may be creating future problems for yourself. That's my guess.