2013 Emmy Nominations

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by AliasJohnDoe, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Jimena

Jimena Well-Known Member

Not happy about the Tatiana Maslany snub. She's amazing.

2. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

Bummed about Hayden - she deserved a nom this year - her work the whole season was stellar, but her acting in the finale was just amazing. Hiss.

Emilie Clarke? Why? I think she's gotten worse since season 1. And they've given her character precious little to do (pretty much like the book - she just wanders around the desert like a Hobbit with dragons). Michelle Fairley should have been there instead. I also would have subbed out Peter for Nikolaj or Charles Dance.

I'm fine with no Archie this year - Kalina's character took several giant steps back. :cheer2: to Christine Baranski's nod. Diane Lockhart is awesome. And hooray for Carrie, Nathan, and MJ Fox - TGW does amazing with their guest stars.

:cheer2: for The Voice.

I'm hoping this is the year that The Daily Show's winning streak ends for Variety Series, Colbert is overdue.

3. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

I agree!

I like Modern Family, but it's in no way funnier than Parks & Rec or Happy Endings. And no love for Nick Offerman? It's insane that Ron Swanson has no Emmy nods! I thought Julianna Margulies also deserved a nod.

I like Emilia Clarke, but I thought other actresses on GoT were stronger this year.

The sooner the Girls hype ends, the better :blah:

4. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

I'm happy with most of the nominations. Folks have to remember, the shows "choose" what episode should be up for emmy consideration, not the EMMYs.

Emilia Clarke has some incredible moments this season.

Downton Abbey is going to rack up this season as is the network of HBO.

My prediction for next season, Showtime's Ray Donovan will the be darling of the nominations. Ray Donovan is simply FANTASTIC.

I know everyone is talking about Tatiana Maslany's non emmy nom but the picks for this year are stellar. Did BBC submit the show for consideration?

5. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I really like Girls but lord the last season was weak. The whole OCD thing came out of left field and the story lines often seem left completely without an end. What about that incredibly odd episode where she has an affair with a doctor? So freaking odd and never mentioned again? They need to work on resolution, even for smaller side story lines. I love Lena Dunham though and I think she gets a lot of credit for writing and directing along with acting in the show, so I think that helps her as well as the show since it is so much hers. I just don't think this year she deserves the big awards and I doubt she gets them.\

I also hope that Orange is the New Black gets nominations next year. It is, by far, the best ensemble cast. Which show has that award, the Golden Globes? I hope they at least get a nomination but I have no idea if the show will get enough critical acclaim to gain traction. It certainly helps that the other Netflix shows got nominations so they are not afraid to nominate them.

6. Tesla

Tesla Whippet Good

Anthony Bourdain? :huh: They couldn't find anyone better?

7. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

SAG Awards. And I agree, they're amazing. I'd love nominations for the actresses that play Sophia & Red.

8. BigB08822

Crazy Eyes is my favorite. She is amazing at what she does. I would love to see her on Broadway (apparently a lot of the actresses were recruited from the theater).

9. Cloudy_Gumdrops

Cloudy_Gumdrops New Member

The Colbert Report will most likely get robbed yet again, so, blah. I'd love to be wrong about that though.

10. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

She may get a Golden Globe nom instead. The GGs seem more up on new performances. Emmys typically like the old standbys.

Definitely surprised Matt Damon wasn't put into supporting actor (though technically he was more the lead than Douglas was). Michael Douglas will win hands down.

11. Impromptu

Impromptu Well-Known Member

Agreed, and Orphan Black is completely addictive, but I don't think too many people are watching it. Yet. There will probably be a big bump in viewing next season, now that the DVD is out.

12. flutzilla1

flutzilla1 Well-Known Member

The Americans on FX was totally robbed, and no one more so than Matthew Rhys. :(

I agree with the other posters who are over the 'Girls' hype.

13. BigB08822

I watched The Americans but am not surprised that it wasn't nominated. I thought everything about it was good but not great. A better 2nd season should get them some nominations.

14. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think The Colbert Report has become stronger than The Daily Show for some time now, but The Emmys tend to give the same things the awards year after year as if by rote.

15. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Just came in here to say that (having watched the entire season 1 on DVD this weekend).

The only explanation I can think of (well, aside from the fact that she's such a newcomer and there's often a "pay yer dues" attitude by TBTB) is that she's so freakin' good I found myself frequently forgetting that it's only 1 actor playing all those parts. Not only is it amazing to be consistent in your portrayal of 4 + distinct characters ... she's also pulling off the technical challenge of acting & reacting in scenes against a tennis ball or an X on the wall.

No disrespect to the other noms in this category, but Maslany gets my write-in vote for sure.