2013 Champs Camp news & social media coverage (for U.S. Grand Prix skaters/teams)

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

The annual "Champs Camp" takes place this week for the U.S. skaters assigned to the 2013-14 Grand Prix, so here's the thread for all news, photos, and other coverage via social media.

There should be 39 athletes attending with their coaches (I've noted the newbies with a *):

Men (8): *Max Aaron, Jeremy Abbott, *Jason Brown, Richard Dornbush, *Joshua Farris, Evan Lysacek, Ross Miner, Adam Rippon

Ladies (7): *Samantha Cesario, Christina Gao, Gracie Gold, Mirai Nagasu, Ashley Wagner, Agnes Zawadzki, Caroline Zhang

Pairs (7 teams): Marissa Castelli/Simon Shnapir, Lindsay Davis/Rockne Brubaker, Caydee Denney/John Coughlin, *Haven Denney/Brandon Frazier, *Alexa Scimeca/Chris Knierim, *Britney Simpson/Matthew Blackmer, *Felicia Zhang/Nate Bartholomay

Ice Dance (5 teams): *Alexandra Aldridge/Daniel Eaton, Madison Chock/Evan Bates, Meryl Davis/Charlie White, Madison Hubbell/Zach Donohue, Maia & Alex Shibutani

ETA this tweet by @USFigureSkating:
    "We are gearing up for #ChampsCamp here in Colorado Springs. Get ready for tons of updates throughout the week!"

The newbies are excited - a sampling of tweets:

Alexa Scimeca @lexxapaige:
    "So excited to take part in our first ever champs camp!!!! @ChrisKnierim #teamUSA"

Matt Blackmer @MattBmer last week:
    "Champs camp is next week. And I'll be there. #IsThisRealLife?

Today is the travel day to Colorado Springs (for those not already there). ETA: A few are traveling early Tuesday.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  2. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

Thanks Sylvia! You're always on it! ;)

I think Ice Network should cover Champs Camp more thoroughly. I'm talking about more interview segments and videos of the test skates (or at least open it to the public like Russia does). If they open up that aspect of the sport they may be able to attract more people.

That said I'm excited to "hear" about how the test skates went seeing as we'll probably never get to actually see them.

3. Sylvia

Don't get your hopes up. From what I understand, any media folks there usually don't get to see the skates either.

4. kwanatic

That sucks!! :angryfire

5. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

Isn't the point of this camp, though, to be for the skaters and for them to get feedback at least somewhat privately on their programs? If so, I can see why the press and fans aren't allowed to view these skates. And if I were a skater, I think I'd prefer to keep this a non-fan event since it's really a work and enrichment week, not a series of exhibitions. Having this open to fans could be a potential nightmare for some very popular skaters (kwanatic, not picking on you or your board name, but imagine a Champ's Camp with MK or Sasha present during their heyday and fans allowed access. That could turn crazy pretty quickly).

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  6. kwanatic

True. I guess it is better to show their programs without the added pressure of an audience but still, it would be nice. Maybe rather than fill the arena they sell tickets on a first come first serve basis?

Ah well...I guess we don't have that long until the season starts. I can wait. :fan:

7. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

No, no, no, the point of Champs Camp is to do silly team-building activities!! :p

AxelAnnie and (deleted member) like this.
  8. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Attract more people how? I can see how providing coverage of an off-season preparatory event like this would intensify the investment of fans who are already considerably invested in following the sport of figure skating. I.e., attract the same people more strongly.

But I can't see how it would attract anyone new to following the sport in the first place. Especially not through IceNetwork, which is not a media source that reaches anyone who doesn't already make some effort to follow figure skating.

9. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

delete

10. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

No, only skaters assigned to a Grand Prix event are invited to Champs Camp.

11. Sylvia

Latest tweets:

@SammiCesario:
    Last minute packing. Colorado Springs in the am.. cant wait to see everyone! Xo #champscamp

@MaiaShibutani:
    Made it to Colorado Springs w/ @Meryl_Davis @CharlieaWhite @MarissaCastelli @SimonShnapir + @AlexShibutani! #ChampsCamp #2013TravelBuddies

@CharlieaWhite:
    Whattup Colorado Springs?! Ready for champs camp and altitude! http://instagram.com/p/dN0qtdMTwb/

@Evan_Bates:
    Heading to #ChampsCamp alongside @chockolate02. In the inspiring words of Olympic champ @ryanlochte, "#Jeah!!!"

@felicia_zhang (who left Florida before 4am!):
    We made it! @NateBartholomay #teamusa #OTC #ChampsCamp http://instagram.com/p/dM5ZsnBA3I/

@christina_gao:
    He's thinking of getting "Bigfoot, the Bashful Yeti" statue. What do you think? @rossminer #ChampsCamp #travelbuds http://pic.twitter.com/JjpxqyjqcW

12. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

That's pretty much the perfect summary of SkyMall's offerings. . .

13. blancanieves

blancanieves Active Member

14. figureit

figureit Member

I wish this was true. I do not get how come it is secret when most have already performed? IT also would be great for the athletes to have an audience..I would travel there !!! Does anyone know why it is so"secret"?? Also one of my favorite pair teams is getting an award...:( Just don't get why you can't watch anything you miss out on one of the most important part..the audience reaction to the program and costumes etc...

15. misskarne

misskarne #ForzaJules #KeepFightingMichael

We all know what we're most looking forward to out of Champs Camp, don't we?

ANOTHER SHIBSIBS VIDEO!

16. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

TOO TRUE:cheer:

Just seeing this thread is making me exited, GO US SKATERS THE CHAMPS :cheer2:yay:cheer2:

17. peibeck

peibeck Counting down the days 'til Skate America

No Lynn and Logan. I guess this means they won't get the TBA spot at Skate America. :(

18. pani

pani Well-Known Member

:wall: Sad.

19. Sylvia

Or maybe a decision will be made after Champs Camp - no need to make assumptions at this point.

20. peibeck

peibeck Counting down the days 'til Skate America

Haven't you learned by now that I'm a snarky pessimist, Sylvia? :lol:

Sylvia and (deleted member) like this.
  21. blancanieves

I'm as impatient as the next person to see the new programs. However, from an athlete's perspective, I completely understand the importance of keeping your work under wraps until you feel is presentable. The programs will evolve over the season, but there are different levels of "progress" in "work in progress" and, no matter how many silly pictures we get, this camp is a crucial working session.

22. blancanieves

True. But it is kind of a disservice to the team who could've benefited from the camp's seminars/feedback before going to the competition.

23. Sylvia

^^^ No argument from me.

@USFigureSkating tweeted:

Let Champs Camp begin. http://pic.twitter.com/jWwkjxJGGz

@agneszawadzki at the first photo shoot of the day looking over photos with photographer Chuck Bigger. http://pic.twitter.com/qUYV1ysivN

@AshWagner2010 tweeted this photo from the plane:
    Adam and I are excited and ready for Champs Camp..Raf has mixed emotions. #firsttimer #champscamp http://instagram.com/p/dPfB3yir7I/

@SammiCesario:
    Made it to Dallas.. next stop Colorado Springs! #champscamp

ETA more tweets & photos by USFS:

Spying on champs @MarissaCastelli and @SimonShnapir as they speak with @universalsports at #ChampsCamp http://pic.twitter.com/U5Slnh0qMn
    (BTW, Happy Birthday to both of them today!)

Photo shoot number two is with @joshDfarris in Manitou Springs. http://pic.twitter.com/gxHKu0vK7C

Our schedule today has two more photo shoots, tons more interviews, head shots in Team USA jackets, the group photo and our keynote speaker.

24. figureit

figureit Member

I agree and would agree more if almost all of the programs had not been seen already...?? Just would be fun to see them again and skating in silence in an arena without an audience?? From an athletes look boring and weird and empty. Just excited to see them and be able to enjoy them with a larger audience I would think that would prepare the athletes better for the season with a filled arena rather than a HUGE arena with no one watching. I understand the need to be with the judges and that should not be public and it is working just thought it would add to their learning and feel more like reality but I get your point kind of this arena could be filled it would be more realistic I would think? but hope they have fun and excited for the season to come!!

25. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

:lol: At Josh's hair and outfit. Idk what he's thinking, maybe experimenting or USFS told him to get a new style? I miss the Tom Cruise hair, he should have never cut it. Oh well, hopefully he'll learn style tips eventually. Loving Agnes' blonde curly look though!

Can't wait for the cheesy team building photos and videos to arrive, those are always my favorite part of champs camp!

26. madm

madm Active Member

The purpose of the camp is to be a working session, not an exhibition. The athletes need feedback on the content of their programs from skating professionals, not the public. It is not odd to be skating in the practice rink with USFS monitors and other officials. This is no different than doing videotaped runthrus at home with visiting judges or monitors. BTW I think they are skating in the Olympic Rink at the Ice Hall, not the World Arena which would be extremely expensive to rent. Re: the team building exercise, it may seem hokey to some but it serves a purpose since the athletes need to bond and become one Team USA since they will be traveling together and representing the USA together. This is the only opportunity for athletes who do not live near each other to interact socially before traveling.

27. Sylvia

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  28. Willowway

Willowway Well-Known Member

We should get some nice tidbits, as much as she's allowed by TPTB, from Lynn Rutherford who is there.

29. misskarne

misskarne #ForzaJules #KeepFightingMichael

I like that pic of Josh Lynn tweeted. My goodness, he really is all grown up now.

Jason is excited:

30. mollymgr

mollymgr Well-Known Member