2013 Boston Open - live, free webcast, June 21-22

Discussion in 'Kiss And Cry 2014-2015' started by Sylvia, Jun 20, 2013.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia Fretting that Worlds is over...

In past years, the video stream hasn't been archived for later viewing.

Schedule of events (Friday 6/21 & Sat. 6/22): http://www.scboston.org/wp-content/uploads/2013-Boston-Open-Schedule-3.0.pdf

Senior Pairs (Saturday 2:50-3:05 PM Eastern time): Baga/Toth are doing their SP ("Be Italian" from Nine) and Donlan/Speroff are debuting their FS ("Pas de Deux" from Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker).

Yasmin Siraj and Kiri Baga are scheduled to compete in Senior Ladies, along with Jennifer Parker of Germany. Siraj and Stephen Carriere are making their season debuts here.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
  2. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Does anyone have a direct link to the stream? I cannot seem to find it anywhere on the site they provided.

Oh, now on the website:

3. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Is it supposed to be free? I noticed on the previous link that they are charging $20.

4. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

It is free, the $20 is if you want to purchase a DVD of an event.

5. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Okay, great! It might help if I actually read the website. :slinkaway Thanks Jenna.

6. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan Author of the Ice and Edge Series

I hope they get the stream working for tomorrow!

7. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

No problem! :)

Me too! I always enjoy this competition. It might have something to do with the fact that SCoB is using their new rink in Brighton for the first time for this event..

8. Tammi

Tammi Nana

Not yet. Still in our current home on Soldiers Field Road :)

9. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Oh, pardon me! I thought y'all had moved already. ;)

10. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

I might be able to make it there tomorrow...and will try to post some videos if I do.

11. Sylvia

I was told "It's not looking good for a live stream" after the tech. guys worked on it for hours yesterday. :(

Senior Pairs, please, if possible!

12. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Baga/Toth skated well, with a nice throw 3sal but I think his toe only went around twice before he opened up. 46.09 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MenFS3oacy0&feature=youtu.be

Donlan/Speroff didn't have the best warm-up, but the program suits their style perfectly and even with some of the jump issues (throw 3 loop and her SBS 2axel), it built very nicely at the end. Looking forward to seeing it develop throughout the season. Video should be uploaded eventually under the following link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXYLoMOnX_o&feature=youtu.be

Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
  13. Cloudy_Gumdrops

Cloudy_Gumdrops New Member

Donlan & Speroff's LP is gorgeous. If only she was a better jumper. Their throws used to be so secure, but she's even splatting on those now. I know it's awhile until the season even starts yet, but I'm concerned about those throws.

14. tutuchat

tutuchat Member

Speroff is such an elegant and cavalier partner, the program is beautiful, I truly hope the jumps can be corrected before the competitive season begins.

15. Bonita

Bonita Active Member

I love the theme, but I wish the lifts weren't all at the end. They were all gorgeous, though. Their extension is amazing. Usually the guy is not as flexible, but he can keep up.

I wish pairs didn't have to jump....

And I realize costumes aren't done this early, but even a practice dress would have been nice. I remember when skaters used to dress up even for regular practice. Lately when I skate, I look around and think, am I at yoga?!

16. reese

reese Well-Known Member

There are some gorgeous moments in Donlan/Speroff's LP. I especially love that they've put that stunning lift that goes all the way around the rink as the final element. Sadly, the jumps are the same as ever though and now she can't even hit the throws w/ any consistency. It's just heartbreaking, as they have unequaled style and flair. Still, this LP is so similar in every way to the Sleeping Beauty LP from the last two years. It definitely works for them, but a small amount of artistic growth would have been nice to see.

Baga/Toth's SP is just all wrong for them. The choreography and silly music doesn't work, especially for him. They should ditch it and get something else; there is still time.

17. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

Donlan/Speroff's program was nice, but it seems like a bit of a rehash of their Sleeping Beauty program that they used two seasons in a row. :blah: I like them, though, so I'm hoping the program grows on me a bit more.

18. mgobluegirl

mgobluegirl Well-Known Member

My thoughts exactly. I love the Pad de Deux, and it suits them nicely, but they could definitely have worn their competition outfits from the last 2 seasons, since stylistically, this is pretty much exactly the same thing.

19. shan

shan Well-Known Member

ioana thanks for uploading the videos. :)

20. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

ITA. Landing jumps seems to be a major issue and they aren't going to go anywhere unless that gets fixed. In fact, I see them sliding down the US ranks if it isn't fixed.

Not sure how I feel about this. At least, they have improved since their first outing

21. sandra_persch

sandra_persch Well-Known Member

Anyone know how Jennifer Parker (GER) got on?

22. Sylvia

Parker did not compete in the SP; I don't know about the FS yesterday.

Top 2 (of 3) in Friday's SP: Yasmin Siraj 54.32, Kiri Baga 50.92
    Via Twitter: "@SarahandDrew: Boston Open sr ladies SP results. Thanks to the kind person who sent this!" http://pic.twitter.com/nZA5TbJKZJ

ETA that Parker is not listed in the FS results that @SarahandDrew tweeted this morning:
    "Boston Open sr ladies FS results: Baga 95.22 Siraj 86.12 Pastore 60.03 Magill 59.36 McDonough 50.19"

Last edited: Jun 23, 2013
  23. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Wow, Kiri beat Yasmin. Didn't expect that to happen. Good early season marks for her!

24. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Sometimes skaters wear practice outfits in an effort to make these early outings feel more like practice and less like a competition when they don't feel as ready as they'd like to be.

25. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

I agree, I hate all the lifts in the last half, but those are some of the joys of COP. :blah:

shan and (deleted member) like this.
  26. halffull

halffull Life is a beautiful thing

27. halffull

halffull Life is a beautiful thing

The concept of this program and the teams extension are lovely. Yet beyond what reese said, the death spiral isn't good and they are really, really slow. Can he be that out of shape that he looks like he might die after the program?

28. hippychick

hippychick Member

LOL. He doesn't look to be out of shape to me. I am assuming, along with most pair teams that they have only recently begun running full run throughs of this program. Keeping that in mind, I would think that it would be difficult to complete a program such as this, especially with all three lifts and both throws in the last half of the program. Since it appears from the protocals for Zhang and Bartholomay from last weekend that they are also attempting three lifts in the second half of their program and did not get credit for their last lift, that this is not an easy feat, so I would commend Speroff for keeping the lift up and successfully completing it rather than focusing on the fact that he looked tired. My gosh their last carry lift covers almost the full length around the ice from start to finish. Yes I agree the death spiral needs some improvement.

I also had heard through the grapevine that Donlan and Speroff have been out to Colorado Springs once or twice this Spring working with a couple of coaches out there on their jumps, so hopefully some of their issues in this performance were again based more on the newness of the program rather than continuing jump issues. Obviously they have a lot more to prove (more than any other US team) given their past history, but from what I have heard I am cautiously optimistic (after Ft Wayne where they were credited with clean 3 toes) and from comments from those who saw them in the Springs that they are addressing their jump issues and that everyone will see some improvement this season.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
  29. shan

shan Well-Known Member

That's good to hear about Donlan/Speroff. Are they scheduled to compete at Skate Detroit?

30. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Yasmin never skates very well in the summer. Usually she gets a slow start to the season and gets a lot better later on, as evidence by her 6th and 8th place finishes at Nationals (2012 was worse but she had a few injuries then, IIRC). Kiri usually seems to skate about the same through the whole season, but it is nice to see she is still doing decently in singles since taking on pairs.