2013 Artistry on Ice shows in Taiwan (June 8) & China (June 10, 14 & 16)

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Apr 9, 2013.

1. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

^^ Thanks cmchan. 'Patching the ice'? Sounds bad. Just hope the skaters don't hurt themselves, and continue to give a good show. Looking forward to your vids.

2. cmchan

cmchan New Member

3. reut

reut Active Member

4. spikydurian

5. rosewood

rosewood Wheeee! Wonder babies!

6. rosewood

7. reut

reut Active Member

8. rosewood

Sylvia and (deleted member) like this.
  9. reut

reut Active Member

10. PinkFeathers

PinkFeathers Active Member

11. spikydurian

Translated English version of a chinese article on the show. It talked about the various skaters and the technology used in the show.

Kurt's blog on 12 June on his China trip. Sounds like he's having a great eating spree. He thinks he needs a belt extender in the plane on way home.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
    alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  12. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

13. analia

analia Active Member

Saw it yesterday. Kurt Browning was amazing, so was Zijun's Song of Music - though Tango program was a bit boring. Han Yan did the highest split jump I've ever seen. To be put in perspective, he is probably even faster and more powerful than Patrick Chan. Patrick's programs were so mediocre, certainly not getting the kind of attention Johnny did (I had no idea Johnny has so many female fans in China. There were people shouting his name all across the arena.). I don't think casual viewers got the idea of Patrick's "I need a dollar"at all... Also Alissa's skating skills was quite impressive, but she only did a very low 1A and looked in worse competition shape than Slutskaya and Joannie.
    Pretty good show in general. As usual, the audience went the craziest for the acrobats.

14. jlai

jlai Title-less

15. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

I'm looking forward to tonight!

16. spikydurian

delete. double post.

17. spikydurian

Enjoy Angelskates. Looks pretty high tech show to me with all the special effects.

I think the audience in China enjoy spins and jumps. They seem to clap the loudest when there are jumps and spins. So not surprising that they love the acrobats.

18. reut

reut Active Member

19. allezfred

allezfred Prick Admin Staff Member

That's a rather unfortunate haircut that Hongbo Zhao has. :yikes:

20. rosewood

21. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

22. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Czisny looks so awkward in these types of numbers. She should stick with doing the straightforward "pretty" stuffs.

23. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

Full arena, live broadcast, someone please do something like this here in the USA

24. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

Kurt Browining rocks my world! Love the guy! The lighting effects were amazing. Loved the ice becoming an ocean and a basketball court; those guys were awesome! Biggest disappoint was Alissa, everyone else was great. Loved Kurt, Stephane, Patrick and the Egypian dancers. So tired. It was annoying it started half an hour late, and again too much talking, same as every year. May post more tomorrow.

The arena wasn't full! It still had about 1/4 of the for sale seats available, and 1/3ish weren't for sale because the background blocked them. Many people left early.

25. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

I can compare her to Sarah Meier, for instance, who used to do only the nice and "pretty" stuff, but then she did a very sexy show program to Christina Aguilera's 'Not Myself Tonight', and she did it surprisingly well. But Alissa still looks like a little girl in this 'I like the way you move' number. It's good when someone wants to try something different than they did before, but if that doesn't work out well, then it's better to stop and search for something different. If that doesn't work out either, one should return to what one does best.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2013
  26. ana

ana New Member

I like Alissa's programme, but I don't think she is full recovery. Maybe she doesn't train enough yet. I wish Alissa the best. Love watching her skate! Go Alissa!

Last edited: Jun 16, 2013
  27. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

28. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

Whoa! Irina looks positively cranky! LOL!

29. AliyahSk8

AliyahSk8 New Member

I thought Alissa's second program, Blue River, was beautiful, but I was very disappointed that she didn't seem up to be any where near 100%.

I really enjoyed Kurt Brownning's smoothness on the ice. He reminds me of Gene Kelly or Fred Astaire when he is on the ice.

I was not very impressed with Li Zijun's performances. Everything about them seemed very so-so. The Tango was a bit boring to me and her arms appear to have taken over her skating, as if more arm movement= more artistic quality.

P.Chan's I need a dollar routine had some phenomenal edges and great footwork. Loved it! I dig Johnny Weir's personality and his over the topness and poses do seem to be "natural" for him... (whatever natural means, anyway).

30. luCN

luCN New Member

although the show is better than last year,I think there are less audience than last year,the stadium is just about half full...

I can't believe lambiel's "Run" can rock the arena,but he DID!really breathtaking!a perfect program and performace! SO for sure.
    Kurt's "Singing in the rain" is the other great number,the suit he wore is the one he wore 20 years ago,amazing!.
    Chan and Yan's skating skill is too outstanding,I was worried about they may rush out of the ice lol

And as all the people said,acrobats are the most popular here,cause most of the audience never saw figure skating...and Johnny has most die-hard female fans,I saw over 20 girls who brought many flowers and banners cheered for him wildly together.