2013-2014 Short Dance Technical Requirements

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by morqet, Mar 5, 2013.

1. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

In the real world (ie ballroom dancing) you could probably make either one into a Foxtrot or Tango but it would take a LOT of tweaking to make them a Quickstep. (Big Spender is more start-and-stop and would probably be an okay American Tango, Minnie the Moocher would be Slow Fox.)

You could, if you wanted to do a "not mindbogglingly dull same-old" quickstep, use "Bounce With Me", "Crabbukit", "Call the Law", "Theme From Spider-Man" (Michael Buble cover or its Junkie XL remix.) Really, anything that's not "Dancing Fool", "Swing Swing Swing", or that song from "The Mask"...QS can get like Paso Doble, ie "If I hear 'Espana Cani' ONE MORE TIME..."

2. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Ah I want to see a Spiderman SD.

3. Spun Silver

Spun Silver Well-Known Member

:respec:

4. nuge

nuge Well-Known Member

What OD was that when Denstas used Toy Story :eek:Charleston and what else ?

5. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Who knew that when all of us were bemoaning the million "Dancin' Fools" in the 2000-2001 season that the ISU would inadvertently answer this 13 years later with having such lenient musical requirements for a "short dance"?

6. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Choctaws are hard- I really really hate them :) Technically the step from back to forward for a spin wind-up is a choctaw, but that isn't what skates are thinking of when they talk about hard choctaws. The one that go forward to back are very difficult.

So you know what to look for: they are a turn that changes foot and edge. (Whereas a mohawk changes foot but keeps the same edge.) IIRC, the quickstep choctaw is Left-forward outside edge to Right Back Inside edge.

mag and (deleted member) like this.
  7. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Foxtrot

8. Braulio

Braulio Well-Known Member

9. mag

mag Well-Known Member

10. Aussie Willy

I asked a coach at my rink about how they did choctaws as figures. Discovered that choctaws were not part of figures, they were only ever part of ice dance. Funny how the skaters are now doing them in step sequences to get the levels.

11. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

Girls, Girls, Girls is another favorite.

12. VIETgrlTerifa

As much as I really enjoyed Grishuk/Platov's OD to that, they need to retire that too. I think I may have liked G/P's version because it had no lyrics, so we could just hear the bombastic beat.

13. rainbowkisses

rainbowkisses Banned Member

ballroom blitz works

14. VIETgrlTerifa

Can someone do a quickstep to "hooker on crack"?

15. love skating

love skating Clueless American

Has it been that long since the Dancing Fool OD year? Gosh that makes me feel old!

But I do love the quickstep so I look forward to this SD!

16. mag

mag Well-Known Member

They are also part of the Skills test in Canada. I can't remember which level, probably jr or sr silver. I believe they also appear in the gold test.

17. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

Would "Peppy and George" from The Artist work?

18. jenlyon60

jenlyon60 Member

Choctaws are also an element on the US Figure Skating Junior Moves in the Field test

19. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

ISI requires them as part of the Freeskate 5 test.

20. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

I love the Quickstep ! And Finnstep is probably really interesting to include in a whole choreo.

21. Aussie Willy

I think it will work well. It was similar to when they brought the Golden Waltz in as the Pattern part of the SD. I felt that worked well because it is complex and has lots of content. When they did Rhumba the dance is so short I didn't feel it sat well within the SD theme. At least with the Finnstep there will be some meat to it.

It will be interesting from a judging and technical panel side though, because none of the judges will have done it themselves.

22. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Absolutely, that's why I think finnstep will be interesting. Although I love Quickstep, I'm not sure it will be as good as Finnstep to include. :)

23. Aussie Willy

Well at least I have my DVD of when they did the Finnstep as the CD at worlds that time (can't remember which year - was it 2009?).

24. Proustable

Proustable New Member

Paso Doble was Worlds 2009

25. Braulio

Braulio Well-Known Member

Europeans 2009 in Helsinky was the last (and only) time that it was executed as compulsory dance

26. operagirl

operagirl Active Member

27. SLIVER

SLIVER Well-Known Member

There has been a lot of discussion in the skating world about how the Finnstep will decide who will win Olympics. I posted a comment that Scott made a year ago, with regards to that. With so many places where things can go wrong and it being a very new dance, that barely anyone has performed more than once, it is definitely going to be a tester.

SD at Olys next year might be as exciting as 06 in Turin, where literally everyone was crumbling. Having said that I hope they choose the key points well, I didnt think the key point choices for the Yankee were that intelligent this year. Also I hope there will be a seminar for the judges on the Finnstep again (although I doubt). I remember a judge saying just before Euros 09, none of us really know what we are doing in this dance. Obviously it was said very tongue n' cheek but the judges and the skaters are not very use it, hopefully the Grand Prix season before will be give everyone involved a bit more clarity.

28. honey

honey Active Member

4CC also used the Finnstep that year.

29. Aussie Willy

Ah that might be where I have copies of it from. I know it had the Australians competing.

30. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Thank god for that!

It's significantly easier to perform the second section if you can precede it with cross-overs or progressives.