2013-14 viewing schedule on Universal Sports

Discussion in 'TV ALERTS' started by A.H.Black, Oct 18, 2013.

1. A.H.Black

A.H.Black Well-Known Member

2. mtnskater

mtnskater Well-Known Member

Why do we get all of the short and free skates on Universal Sports for every Grand Prix event except Skate America?

3. A.H.Black

The rights and the contract are different. Since USFSA has control over Skate America, they get to negotiate the rights. This year icenetwork/NBC got the rights. In past years it was Universal/NBC.

The rest of the Grand Prix events are negotiated with the ISU. Universal sports has had that contract for several years - I'm not sure how much longer they have that contract.

4. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Friday 10/25/13
    2013 Skate Canada Pairs Short TV: 1:30pm ET
    2013 Skate Canada Ladies Short TV: 3:30pm ET
    2013 Skate Canada Short Dance TV: 7:00pm ET
    2013 Skate Canada Men’s Short TV: 8:30pm ET

Saturday 10/26
    2013 Skate Canada Pairs Free TV: 12:00pm ET
    2013 Skate Canada Free Dance TV: 4:30pm ET

Sunday 10/27
    2013 Skate Canada Ladies/Men Free (NBC 4-6 pm ET?) & repeated on Universal at 8:00pm ET

5. SpeedySucks

SpeedySucks Member

The ISU's current contract with NBC & Universal Sports runs through the 2017-2018 season.

6. A.H.Black

At one time the contract was only with Universal Sports and the only reason NBC got to broadcast any of the five grand prix's was through their arrangement with Universal. Do you know if that is still the case? Is the contract now with NBC as well as Universal Sports.

7. SpeedySucks

SpeedySucks Member

I believe the contract is with Universal Sports but stipulates that a certain amount of coverage must be shown on NBC. NBC Is committed to showing coverage from at least 5 GPs, plus the Final, and they will also have primetime coverage of Worlds in non-Olympic years.

8. mtnskater

mtnskater Well-Known Member

I just do not understand why Universal Sports would have so much less TV coverage of Skate AMERICA than the other country's GP events where they are showing all shorts and frees. For Skate America year after year we get no shorts, no dance except the winner and no pairs. If NBC is in control, why would they not want all the additional coverage of Skate America on Universal Sports? I just do not get it??.:confused:

9. A.H.Black

I'll say it again - The rights and the contract are different. Since USFSA has control over Skate America, they get to negotiate the rights. This year icenetwork/NBC got the rights. In past years it was Universal/NBC.

Icenetwork got to broadcast Skate America this year. Universal Sports did not have access. It was not a matter of choice - by NBC or Universal.

10. SpeedySucks

SpeedySucks Member

The USFSA has never had a contract with Universal Sports for Skate America or Nationals. Since 2007, the USFSA has owned the rights to its events (through IceNetwork), and it has had a revenue sharing agreement with NBC for television coverage. My guess is that in the years we have had coverage of Skate America and/or Nationals on Universal Sports, the USFSA was buying that airtime and paying for the production costs. The airtime was likely dirt cheap when Universal Sports was available on free-to-air TV, but now that it is cable/satellite-only, the airtime is more expensive than the USFSA is willing to pay. Thus, we no longer get coverage of USFSA events on Universal Sports.

I was also mistaken yesterday about the ISU contract--the USFSA/IceNetwork currently owns the rights to all ISU events in the U.S., and they are either selling the rights to or buying airtime on Universal Sports and NBC for TV coverage.

11. harekrishna43

harekrishna43 Active Member

I was so happy when I heard that Time Warner had settled their issues with Universal and was being returned to subscribers. Well, I just discovered that Universal Sports is not part of the regular cable package anymore - I have to buy a "Sports Pass" for $8.99 a month which gives me 14 other channels that I will never watch. Will be cancelling this after the Olympics -

Thanks a lot Time Warner!

12. momnatur

momnatur Member

Exactly!

13. A.H.Black

This is the same with DirecTV and with Dish Network. You must have a sports package in order to get Universal sports. I imagine if Comcast ever offers Universal Sports again it will also be part of a sports package. For me, it's worth it.