2013-14 TV Season

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by GarrAarghHrumph, May 9, 2013.

1. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Recorded it while I watched Blacklist. Looking forward to watching it tonight.

2. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

I also enjoyed The Blacklist. Which surprised me because the previews made me think, "yuck" (a show focussing on a criminal as the lead/anti-hero...not for me). But for some reason after The Voice, I thought, "just watch a few minutes and once it turns you off...turn it off". And I ended up making it to the end of the show and really liked it. The female lead is perfect (as is Spader) and her goodness balances out his wretchedness. But I kept expecting the scene where Spader is alone with her and duh-duh-DUH!!!!
    he says, "I'm your father" and she replies, "yeah, I've already figured that out..."
    (I spoiled that just in case I'm right and you don't want to know what I'm predicting.) :lol:

3. jeffisjeff

jeffisjeff Well-Known Member

I didn't watch The Blacklist, but just from the commercials I am predicting the same thing. :lol:

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  4. znachki

znachki Active Member

I just can't stay up and watch anything at 10pm, so I have to catch up with all three of the 10pm shows - Blacklist, Hostages and Castle over the next few days. I really love being able to do that though. Tonight SHIELD and NCIS, so yeah, shifted viewing rocks! :cheer:

5. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I liked Blacklist too. Same prediction here. Taped Castle. Don't know what to do about Hostages - let me know if it is good.

6. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I've got my snacks for S.H.I.E.L.D. ready! :cheer2:

7. Sassafras

Sassafras Well-Known Member

Peter - I can't give you any reputation right now. Re:the spoiler - Great minds think alike!

8. Artemis@BC

I wondered about that too (re: Blacklist) ... but it just seemed too obvious to me. We shall see, though.

Buzz and (deleted member) like this.
  9. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I wanted to like Agents of SHIELD soooo badly, but this first episode felt a bit blah. I doubt this show will work as a procedural so I hope this is not the direction they are gonna take it. But I will keep on watching anyway.

10. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

FYI - for those interested the following pilots are available online for free:

Masters of Sex (on the showtime website)
    Blacklist, Brooklyn Nine-Nine, Sleepy Hollow (on iTunes)

11. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Just started watching SHIELD and couldn't place the guy who climbed up the wall. It was driving me nuts till I remembered he was Gunn from Angel.

12. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

The only MARVEL movie's I've seen is the first Iron Man, and the only thing I liked about it was Paltrow (I get tired of Robert Downey Jr.'s sardonic schtick). And I do not consider Whedon the Kwan of tv. But I liked the pilot. It's not great and the procedural-ness of the series will probably irritate me sooner rather than later, but I'll watch next week.

13. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Here is how I rank the four season premier's I've seen during the last two weeks:

1) Sleepy Hollow
    2) Person of Interest
    3) Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
    4) Blacklist

14. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Something like "Lucky 7" would usually be *so* up my alley (RIP "My Generation") but I just couldn't with this show. Everyone except for maybe the blonde girl were way too unlikeable. Oh well.

15. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

I checked out SHIELD tonight (knowing nothing about the Marvel characters) and found it enjoyable enough to watch again next week. I liked the cast and I think the show could be pretty good. I also checked out Trophy Wife and found it pretty funny so I'll check it out again next week too. :)

Chicago Fire just blew it out of the water with their amazing season two premiere tonight. Holy crap, talk about coming back with a bang! I am SO ready for another season with my favorite firefighting crew. Can I just gush for a moment how happy I am that CF and Nashville are no longer airing on the same night??! WOOT! :cheer: :cheer2: :cheer: :cheer2:

16. Artemis@BC

I really, really liked Agents of SHIELD. They have the advantage of not needing to be plausible, and so were just able to have fun. Yes, the characters were, well, cartoonish. Skye was just too precious, Fitz-Simmons were just too geeky-cute, and Melinda May (how's that for a Stan Lee character name?) was just too dark and badass. But I was still happy to go along for the ride. Makes a nice change of pace from all the brooding dramas out there.

And what will be the big secret that Coulson doesn't know about himself? That he really did die and he's a cyborg now? :D

I also caught up with Hostages from Monday night. Hmm. Great performances, as you'd expect, but the premise is just eye-rolling, and I can't see how they can possibly sustain it for more than a few weeks. But obviously they've thought of that ... I'll give it one more week at least.

In much less happier news, I tried Mom. I so wanted to like it, as I love Allison Janey and I adore Nate Corddry. But no. Yet another unfunny sitcom. Oh well.

17. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Dornbush 2015!!!

18. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Comedy is having a rough time against the dramas and the Voice! I thought the first two eps of Dads were hysterical with lots of potential, so I hope it lasts. The Goldbergs had a decent start for me, but I fear too much is hanging on the very talented Wendi McLendon-Covey while the rest of the cast, especially the kids, is weak. I thought Trophy Wife sucked, and I don't see the charm in Brooklyn 99, but then again I've never been big on most of the post-SNL vehicles.

19. AliasJohnDoe

Vanessa Redgrave joins ABC's "The Black Box":
    http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsideth...e-joins-abc-limited-series-the-black-box.html

Since I don't see "Lucky 7" lasting long, it's possible "The Black Box" could take it's spot.

20. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

21. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, I can't see any of Dads, Brooklyn Nine-Nine, The Goldbergs and Trophy Wife getting a second season (a couple I don't see even getting a full season order) .

22. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Bring back Happy Endings!

23. Artemis@BC

I tuned in just because I love Patton Oswalt -- so I was disappointed right at the beginning to find out he was only the narrator. And I don't find "80s nostalgia" entertaining for more than about 3 minutes at a time. So I didn't even finish this one. Buh-bye.

24. znachki

znachki Active Member

Could be - the MCU term is "LMD" Life Model Decoy ;)

I had a good time. I tried very hard to stay away from all of the hype. If you don't, I think you are doomed to disappointment. (Not specifically SHIELD - everything)

And, anything that puts Ron Glass back on my TV is AWESOME!

25. AliasJohnDoe

I miss "Firefly"!!!! I remember being really annoyed when it was canceled. Ron Glass!!! :wuzrobbed

"Firefly" and "Heroes" are 2 series I'd like to see brought back. Even as spin-offs.

"The Walking Dead" is getting a spin-off. It's slated for the beginning of 2015.

26. znachki

znachki Active Member

Dark Horse Comic is planning a continuation series that starts post Serenity: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=48004 perhaps we'll get some flashbacks...

27. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

28. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

So apparently everyone in Nashville is still a nymphomaniac . . . :rolleyes:

29. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

It really has been a long time since I've seen an episode of Nashville. I completely and utterly did not remember who drove that vehicle. I just assumed Deacon was driving until his lawyer stated otherwise. Oh well.

The one storyline that has real potential--Tandy figuring out who killed her mother. Get your daddy, Tandy!!!

ETA: I can't believe I forgot to mention this. The biggest bummer of the night--Juliet's assistant is gone!!! Nooooo!!!!

30. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

Those were pretty good but I was stoked to see that Chicago Fire actually beat POI in the demo last night! Holy crap. I'm thrilled for CF to do so well but I definitely didn't see that one coming! :cheer:

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cheer2:

I missed the Revolution premiere because I have something on Wednesdays at 8 PM now but I plan to catch it online this weekend. Nashville came back tonight and I loved every minute of it. I think there's a thread for that show though so I'll keep my gushing comments about it for over there. ;)