2013-14 TV Season

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by GarrAarghHrumph, May 9, 2013.

1. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

2. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

No, I don't have Netflix, and even if I did I wouldn't be able to watch it: Neflix Canada sucks, they're at least 2 years behind on offering "new" shows. (Probably some kind of licensing agreement with the Canadian networks that carry the US shows. Which I guess makes sense. Kind of.)

I've sent a "hey, why don't you buy this" note to my library, so I'm hoping I'll still be able to get it in time. There are other ways to, *ahem* acquire TV shows of course but I usually don't go that route unless there are no other options.

ETA: They (my library) haven't ordered season 2 of Homeland yet either, but they did just get season 3 of Luther, so that makes me happy.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  3. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

4. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I just finished the 2nd season of Scandal. Holy hell at that ending!! This show always finds a way to shock me even when I think to myself "wow, that should have been obvious."

5. iamawake2

iamawake2 Member

When is Homeland starting and I'm curious about Scandal if someone wouldn't mind filling me in.

6. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

What do you want to be filled in on?

7. Artemis@BC

Homeland is Sept 29. Scandal is Oct 3. Full list of premier dates here.

Is there something else you need to be "filled in" on for Scandal? Coz I would really recommend trying to watch from the beginning on this one. If you really want to try to jump in beginning with the new season (season 3), I'd recommend reading the episode synopses at a site like Television without Pity.

8. iamawake2

iamawake2 Member

Thanks Artemis!!

9. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Anthony Bourdain's Parts Unknown starts tonight 9 pm and I'm looking forward to it.

10. Sassafras

Sassafras Well-Known Member

I'm not familiar with the show and my first thought when I saw the title was that it referred to "pieces parts" in the old Wendy's commercial . Meaning "you don't want to know what's in it" :lol:

11. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

LOL It is just a foodie type show. He goes to dangerous places and samples their food and culture.

12. Sassafras

Sassafras Well-Known Member

Buzz - sounds like I don't want to know what's in it. Pieces parts for sure.

13. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

I'm looking forward to Sleepy Hollow tomorrow night and I'll give Brooklyn Nine-Nine on Tuesday a shot as well.

I'm addicted to The Million Dollar Quiz. I do fast-forward most of the chatty stuff, but the quiz portion itself I find quite intense and involving. Very interesting to see how the top contestants interact. :lol:

I watched the first night of Arsenio Hall's talk show. I liked seeing Paula Abdul, but other than that, not much stood out to me so I haven't seen any future episodes.

14. Artemis@BC

I've read some not-so-great reviews of Sleepy Hollow, but I'll give it a try anyway and see for myself. And I'll probably try out Broolyn 99 too.

But I'm super excited about tonight, and both the return of Foyle, as well as the Louise Penny series on CBC. Sundays aren't Sundays without a good murder or two!

15. Grannyfan

Grannyfan Active Member

Is the Louise Penny series new? Wish we could see it here. Maybe I'll be able to get it on Acorn TV eventually.

16. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Dornbush 2015!!!

New/Returning Shows for the week Sunday, Sept 15, 2013- Saturday, Sept 21 2013: http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2013/08/01/list-of-2013-fall-tv-show-premieres-dates/195183/

Sunday, Sept 15:
    Liv and Maddie Disney 8:00 PM
    Anthony Bourdain Parts Unknown CNN 9:00 PM
    Foyles War PBS 9:00 PM
    Alaska State Troopers NatGeo 10:00 PM
    Great Santini Brothers, The History 10:00 PM

Monday Sept. 16:
    Dancing with the Stars ABC 8:00 PM
    Bones FOX 8:00 PM
    Monday Night Football (Time Period Premiere) ESPN 8:30 PM
    Heavy Metal Monsters TWC 9:00 PM
    Sleepy Hollow FOX 9:00 PM

Tuesday Sept.17:
    Dads FOX 8:00 PM
    Brooklyn Nine-Nine FOX 8:30 PM
    I Dream of NeNe Bravo 9:00 PM
    New Girl FOX 9:00 PM
    MINDY PROJECT, The FOX 9:30 PM
    New Atlanta, The Bravo 10:00 PM

Wednesday, Sept.18:
    Survivor CBS 8:00 PM
    Tyler Perry's For Better Or Worse OWN 9:00 PM
    Key and Peele Comedy 10:30 PM

Friday, Sept. 20:
    Last Man Standing ABC 8:00 PM
    Dog with a Blog Disney 8:30 PM
    Neighbors, The ABC 8:30 PM
    Hollow Crown, The PBS 9:00 PM
    Shark Tank ABC 9:00 PM

Please add corrections or updates if needed.

17. Artemis@BC

Yes, brand new. I read somewhere else that it will air in the US, just don't know where or when.

However, I just assumed it was a series, but so far only one 2-hour episode (with commercials, so 90 minutes), based on the first novel in the series, Still Life. Don't know if they were waiting for ratings before committing to any more. It was ok -- some hits, some misses.

18. znachki

znachki Active Member

Since it's on CBC we get it in Seattle. I thought it was OK, not great. There were a few things where I was going, whaat? I think I missed what the deal was with the young woman detective. Was she supposed to be aspergers? Because she certainly came across that way sometimes, but other times, just arrogant. And they frickin' told the whole town the woman was dead before finding out if she had next of kin :yikes:

I haven't read any of the books though, so perhaps I am at a disadvantage. Also, any special French-Canadian aspect to this - if there was supposed to be one - was lacking.

Also, as light-weight and sometimes silly as it is, I am very glad to be able to get the Murdoch Mysteries on Mondays at 8pm :cheer:

19. Artemis@BC

^ I think you might actually have been at an advantage, not having read the books -- just because the books are so much better! I always try not to compare the two, but it was particularly hard here.

20. znachki

znachki Active Member

I think it's generally better that way too.

What did you think of the casting of Nathaniel Parker as Gamache? Not knowing anything, I'm curious. I think I heard that some were unhappy with it - as they were with his casting as Lynley in that series. I know that he didn't physically resemble George's description as Lynley, but I had no problem with it.

21. Artemis@BC

I didn't love Parker as Lynley -- not as much because he didn't look like he's described in the books, but more because I didn't think he acted like Lynley. (Sharon Small, oth, while not looking very Barbara-like, did an excellent job of bringing the character to life.)

As for Parker as Gamache ... not too bad. Parker is a little younger and has more hair than Gamache is described in the books, but he pulled off the contemplative, even-headed part of his character quite well. And I didn't have as strong an idea in my head of what he'd look like as I did for Tommy Lynley. I have far more issue with the casting of some of the supporting townspeople characters -- particularly Clara and Myrna. Definitely TV casting going on there! But at least they did a pretty good job with Ruth.

22. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Got my snacks ready for the Sleepy Hollow premier! :D If I get a full season out of this thing then I will be very happy, because I cannot imagine our hero chasing the headless horseman all over town for untold number of seasons. But I hope it's a keeper. :shuffle:

23. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

250 years ... Did you get up pee? :rofl:

24. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

I would highly recommend the books, and I think they get even better as the series goes on. I'm still so mad at myself for not realizing that the Penny movie was on tv I really wanted to get someone to record it for my parents. I read that they commissioned the first 3 books for movies, but not sure when the others will be filmed or if they're waiting to see the ratings before filming. At least I get to hear Louise Penny speak later this week when I go to one of her book readings/signings. I went last year and she was absoultely wonderful - so warm and funny.

25. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

I had no intention of watching Sleepy Hollow, but I am getting tired of watching House Hunters (when the husband complained that a house could not fit his 73-inch television, I think I lost all patience).

Hey, who knew the guys behind "Fringe" are doing this? I like the female lead and the Brit guy is pretty charming. I am sad that certain characters are already dead, though.

So, I'll keep watching.

BaileyCatts and (deleted member) like this.
  26. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Dornbush 2015!!!

I like Sleepy Hollow. I can see the series progressing beyond the Headless Horseman plot. Witches (good and bad) seem to be in the coming storyline. Maybe Pumpkinhead or Pinhead will show up. :D

27. znachki

znachki Active Member

Funny you should say that. I decided that I should get the first book to read, and checked with the library. Not surprisingly, there was a waiting list, so I put my name down - 7 people ahead of me.

But, later that afternoon our office had the monthly birthday party, and I was looking at the stack of "take one, leave one" books, and what should be there but "Still Life"!

So, I was meant to read it!

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  28. star_gazer11

star_gazer11 practising choreo

Glad I checked out Sleepy Hollow. It was pretty entertaining, and Ichabod is hot. And maybe it will help me get over wasting 11 hours I'll never get back on Siberia (really, NBC?) :mad: :rolleyes:

29. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

Bones is back :cheer2:

30. Artemis@BC

I'm not sure yet about Sleepy Hollow. It was great looking, and I liked Abbie and Ichabod -- and their interplay -- a lot. But there was something mishmashy about the whole plot. You just know we're going to get storylines with "bad witches" in positions of power (I had earlier bet on the chief police dude for that role but by the end of the episode I wasn't so sure), and that's been done so often. I'll give it another week or two to settle down, though, and see how they can keep going now that the big pieces have fallen into place.

(I was glad, though, that they didn't try to shorten "Ichabod" into something else when talking to him, and just called him "Crane.")