2013-14 TV Season

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by GarrAarghHrumph, May 9, 2013.

1. Yehudi

Yehudi Well-Known Member

I think a limited run will also allow you to get the best talent. Would True Detective have been able to get two movie actors ,who are probably at the peak of their careers, had the run required more of a commitment from them

2. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Dornbush 2015!!!

3. AliasJohnDoe

4. AliasJohnDoe

NBC Announces Summer Premiere Dates for 'Crossbones', 'Undateable', 'The Night Shift', 'Taxi Brooklyn' & More: http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...le-the-night-shift-taxi-brooklyn-more/248405/

FOX Announces Premiere Dates for 'Kitchen Nightmares', 'Gang Related', 'Hotel Hell', 'MasterChef' & More; 'Enlisted' Pulled From Schedule: http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...ampaign=Feed: Tvbythenumbers (TVbytheNumbers)

AMC renews 'Comic Book Men' for Fourth Season: http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...ampaign=Feed: Tvbythenumbers (TVbytheNumbers)

5. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

For Canadians, there's a two-hour movie episode of Bomb Girls on tonight, which I'm assuming will be the conclusion to the now-cancelled series.

I found the series had a lot of good stuff mixed with a lot of eye-rolling moments, but overall entertaining. I hope they wrap things up satisfactorily.

On Global 8:00 - 10:00.

6. Skate Talker

Skate Talker Well-Known Member

I am looking forward to it - though it will be PVR'd due to the Figure Skating for now.

7. AliasJohnDoe

8. AliasJohnDoe

9. Artemis@BC

10. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

It'll be interesting to see if "Parenthood" will get a proper finale (via 2 hour movie) if it doesn't get picked up by NBC at all for next season (my prediction: it'll finish after its sixth season next year but with only a half season order).

11. AliasJohnDoe

12. Artemis@BC

I caught up with the first two episodes of Whose Line from 10 days ago, and was entertained to see Tara Lipinski as the "celebrity guest prop" of the week. I think the whole concept of those guest celebs is pretty lame, but she was no worse than any of the others, and it was fun to see her. And I laughed pretty hard when Colin lifted her ...

13. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

I need to catch up with so many shows:( Great to hear The Crazy Ones getting picked up for another season:cheer:

14. AliasJohnDoe

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  15. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

I am pretty sure that Mixology is the most hated tv show on the planet, but I am LOVING THIS SHOW. This (along with About a Boy) is the bright spot of this tv season. It's been soooo long since I shipped someone, but Maya & Tom? Adorable.

16. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

We watched Mixology again last night, and begrudgingly enjoyed it :) Maybe someone will finally get the post Friends thing right, after Happy Endings and The B in Apartment 2 failed. I do wonder how long they can keep up this everything-takes-place-in-the-bar concept though.

A couple of others that have potential IMO: Friends with Better Lives - another attempt to replace Friends/HIMYM, although it's really a retake on Rules of Engagement, and another try for James Van Der Beek. One of the characters is far stronger than the others though, so we'll see if they can balance it out.

I also like Spun Out - has more of a 90s sitcom feel, likely in part because it stars Dave Foley and feels a bit like NewsRadio in a different setting. It includes a lot of younger characters (takes place in a PR agency), so again with trying to get that Friends magic back.

17. Artemis@BC

I wanted to like Spun Out because of Foley ... but I just couldn't. He's great as always, and there's some not-bad writing, but the rest of the cast is really weak, painfully so. Esp the ex-girlfriend-roommate, who did she sleep with to get that gig?

I couldn't even make it through the whole first episode of Friends with Better Lives. Not the worst sitcom I've ever seen but not worth any more investment of my time.

I'm still liking About a Boy and Growing Up Fisher, though.

18. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Agree re Spun Out - fun premise, pretty good writing, but you are right Foley won't be able to carry it if the other actors can't step up. It seems to be a typical cost-effective mid season replacement that might have been better suited to one of the cable stations. I'll give it a few more eps and see where it goes.

Also agree that Friends with Better Lives needs work. Kevin Connolly was one of the weaker points in Entourage, and so far he's not working as the lead person in this ensemble. I'm not a huge James Van Der Beek fan either, but I guess he has a following because he keeps getting work. It's the single friend that's the real standout though - really on another level from the rest of the cast, including JVDB. I note that Ryan Seacrest is one of the exec producers though, and that sweet debut timeslot says there might be some money behind this one willing to make it work.

19. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

I'm quite enjoying The 100. I'm not sure if any show has filled the void for me since Lost ended. This one has come the closest.

20. AliasJohnDoe

I'm liking it too so far. A bit different than your average CW show.

21. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

One more day until Grimm returns!!! :cheer2:

l'etoile and (deleted member) like this.
  22. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Oh yeah and Summer Glau returned to Arrow! I was wondering if they had written her character out, so very glad to see her back! I'm also wondering if this is the last we will see of Roy Harper, and will Thea become the Arrow's new apprentice "Speedy"?!

23. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

Orphan Black returns for Season Two on April 19th (BBCAmerica in the US, Space in Canada).

I haven't been this excited for a show's new season to start back up since Battlestar Galactica -- Tatiana Maslany is a revelation in how she portrays so many characters so well it's hard to believe it's all one person :eek:. She was royally screwed by the Emmy's by not getting a nomination (she did get a nod at the GGs, and both she and Orphan Black cleaned the competition's clocks at the Canadian Screen Awards. It also garnered a Peabody Award :cheer2: ).

Has anyone else here been watching this?

24. znachki

znachki Active Member

Me. I love this show. She also won a Televison Critics award in he states, and half the audience was like, who?

Can't wait.

25. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

Not officially yet...

CBS Shows yet to have announcements for next season

The Crazy Ones
    Hostages
    Intelligence
    The Mentalist

(Friends with Better Lives just premiered so a few more weeks likely needed before knowing its status).

Interesting that you mentioned Tricia Helfer - cause she's one of the few former runway models who has had a pretty successful transition to film and television (though I agree that she really can't do comedy and should stick with sci-fi/thriller/fantasy where she's had her best successes).

Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
    l'etoile and (deleted member) like this.
  26. Bostonfan

Bostonfan Well-Known Member

I just binge-watched Orphan Black this past weekend. I liked it well enough, and am looking forward to seeing Season 2. Hopefully Tatiana M. will get an Emmy nom this year, which might help give the show a little more attention and peak people's interest.

27. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

:cheer2: Another Orphan Black fan!! BBC America is airing episodes at 10am EDT right now, and the entirety of Season One is available on Comcrap Cable (not sure about others, or Netflix). I'll probably do another binge-a-thon on the 19th leading up to the Season Two Premiere that night :biggrinbo.

Tatiana Maslany did an incredible job differentiating Sarah, Alison, Cosima, and Helena from one another -- in addition to their characters and personalities, each one's posture, facial expressions (even "at rest") and tics, use of hands, walk, etc., were so nuanced and well-thought out, it did not come across at all as simply the same actress with different hair/makeup/wardrobe. Even during the scenes when Sarah was covering for Alison (at the potluck), Alison covering for Sarah (visiting Kira), and when Amelia went to meet Sarah (and Helena was impersonating her), she was able to portray the actual character as *doing* an impersonations (IOW, the viewer could tell that it was Alison pretending to be Sarah, etc.) rather than just slipping into the other role.

Maslany excelled at it to the point of when I was watching their interactions with one another onscreen I would definitely forget that it was one person doing all those roles (also a credit to the photography, editing, and effects).

Lastly, Felix is hands-down my favorite non-CC character - Jordan Gavaris is doing an awesome job in that role :rofl: :respec:.

28. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist