2013-14 TV Season

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by GarrAarghHrumph, May 9, 2013.

1. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Dornbush 2015!!!

Something was gnawing at me for the last 2 days...like I was forgetting something. The premiere of "Almost Human" was it!!! Thank you. :lol:

"Almost Human" at 8, "Walking Dead" at 9 and "Witches of East End" at 10. "Witches of East End" is so badly written and acted.... just awful....but I can't stop watching. Is that what's meant by a guilty pleasure?

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  2. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

If you're not watching Scandal, you should be. It's amazing.

loulou and (deleted member) like this.
  3. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Quoted for truth.

4. loulou

loulou Well-Known Member

Ditto.

5. AliasJohnDoe

6. AliasJohnDoe

Enjoyed "Almost Human". My kind of show. Can't wait for another episode at 8pm tonight in it's regular time slot.

7. loulou

loulou Well-Known Member

I've seen the latest episode of Parenthood, and there was a funny scene:

Kid (male): I love ballet. Plies, I love plies.
    Father: What is a plie. Oh I see, you lower your center of gravity.

8. loulou

loulou Well-Known Member

I've seen the latest episode of Parenthood, and there was a funny scene:

Kid (male): I love ballet. Plies, I love plies.
    Father: What is a plie. Oh I see, you lower your center of gravity.

9. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

10. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

11. jeffisjeff

jeffisjeff Well-Known Member

12. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

Got a chance to watch "Almost Human" today - really enjoyed it! reminds me a little of the US version of "Life on Mars" (which I liked, although I know the correct answer is that it sucks compared tot he original :p). Looking forward to seeing this series unfold. Main actors are very good, and I love me some Lili Taylor. Minka Kelly (aka the poor man's Blair Waldorf) is the only weak spot, but you gotta have a potential love interest, right? :yawn:

Buzz and (deleted member) like this.
  13. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Loved Almost Human and Keith Urban! He was great in Judge Dredd. :respec:

14. Skate Talker

Skate Talker Well-Known Member

Because they are American TV and therefore it will be better somehow, duh! Okay, switching sarcasm off. The big truth is that there is not a lot of tolerance for non-American productions among the general viewership in the good old USA. They have to somehow put the American "brand" on it or it just won't sell.

I have long been annoyed by unnecessary and inferior US remakes of European fare. The original British version of Three's Company, the original French version of Three Men and a Baby, etc. were so much better, imho. However maybe I say that because I just don't get Americans.

15. A.H.Black

A.H.Black Well-Known Member

Almost Human was fine. It reminds me of "Alien Nation" and other "incompatible types" buddy series.

16. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Keith Urban? The country singer?

17. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

I think they mean Karl Urban.

18. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Hehehe... Yeah I meant Karl Urban. :slinkaway

19. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Ah. Yes, that does make more sense. :)

20. AliasJohnDoe

21. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

I watched the first episode of Almost Human last night. I enjoyed it! It definitely fills my sci-fi show slot which has been empty for a while. I love futuristic/sci-fi stuff (Fringe, Firefly, Dollhouse, etc.) but I haven't had a show for a while. J. J. Abrams knows his sci-fi so I knew this would be something to keep me interested.

I love Karl Urban. I remember first seeing him when he was on Xena (he played Julius Caesar) and I've been a fan ever since. Michael Ealy is gorgeous and I love him too. The last show he was on (Common Law) was really good and I enjoyed it but it got cancelled after one season.

I watch way too much television. It's a sickness... It would actually be easier to list what I don't watch! But this season my two new favorite shows are Sleepy Hollow and Witches of East End. I just like the concept of Sleepy Hollow and the way it ties into history, religion, etc. Plus the dynamic between Crane and Mills is really funny. I like Witches of East End b/c it reminds me of Charmed (huge fan of that show) but not so much that I feel like they're copying the show.

I'm pretty sure Almost Human will now be added to my ever growing list of shows.

22. A.H.Black

A.H.Black Well-Known Member

One thing I definitely like about Almost Human is they didn't try to spin out the original story of - how he got ambushed, how he was trying to remember, how it would destroy him - over show after show. I get so sick of those kinds of plot lines. In this show they got it done and finished and moved on. Good move.

23. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

ITA.

I enjoyed Almost Human, though I could have done with just a tad more scifi and a tad less police procedural. I also thought Kennex was somewhat ott in the dark & brooding rogue cop archetype, but he was sufficiently humanized by Dorian by the end of the first episode that I think it will be okay.

And :cheer: Lili Taylor!

But why oh why do they insist on premiering shows on nights other than their regular nights? What's the point in that? I missed the pilot because it was on Sunday, and just caught up with it online. Recorded last night's episode, will have to catch up with that one later.

24. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

S.H.I.E.L.D. & P.O.I = :smokin: & :wuzrobbed

25. AliasJohnDoe

loulou and (deleted member) like this.
  26. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

27. AliasJohnDoe

28. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

2nd ep of Almost Human was a slight step down - of course they had to trot out the obligatory sexbot plotpoint, and it's disappointing that the obvious love interest is just that - a love interest for the main character - already. Sigh. But Dorian's subplot around his existential musings was very interesting. And I loved the animated giraffe :p Hopefully now that this is out of the way they can focus on the core of the show, the way Dollhouse had to burn off the Fox-required sexy eps before settling down into the kickass show it became.

Of course, Dollhouse didn't survive very long.... :shuffle:

BTW - very happy to see that Josh Holloway (LOST's "Sawyer") has a mid-season replacement show coming in January. CBS seems to be the new home for LOST actors. Maybe 666 Park (or whatever that show was called) would have succeeded if it had been a CBS procedural :p

29. centerstage01

centerstage01 Well-Known Member

Person of Interest was so sad! Of course the CBS promo monkeys had us thinking Fusco would be the one to die so I knew it wouldn't be him, but not once did I think it would be Carter!! And of course it would happen in the last two minutes! Man, next week's episode is going to be Reese's revenge times infinity. One look at his face and you certainly want to get out of his way pronto.

As an aside, the little "romance" they had going between Reese and Carter was rather contrived, but you couldn't help thinking it was :smokin::swoon:.

30. liv

liv Well-Known Member

I could not believe Carter died either!! The promos didn't show that one coming... but you knew when the phone started ringing that soemthing bad was going to happen to either him or her in that scene... poor Reese (who i think is one nice looking man :). Yeah, the little " romance" did seem contrived, I never got it, but it was endearing when he told her she was the one who saved him. I was like, awwww.