2013-14 TV Season

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by GarrAarghHrumph, May 9, 2013.

1. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

It's time for the networks to pick up certain of the pilots they've been looking at for 2014, and also to, in some cases, start to cancel existing shows. Yes, that's right - we're approaching the Upfronts!

Fox has just picked up four new series for 2014. I call attention to the first two of them, because they're a bit... quirky? Interesting?

ALMOST HUMAN (working title)

A JJ Abrams project, starring Karl Urban!!! A police drama set in the near future, where a police officer who doesn't like robots and a robot with emotions that (as best I can tell from the treatment) shouldn't be there are teamed up to solve crimes. With Karl Urban! Yay! Oh, and did I say Karl Urban is in this one?

SLEEPY HOLLOW

To me, this one sounds destined to fail. An action show where Ichabod Crane, of all people, is resurrected and brought to the modern era, where he learns he's humanity's last hope (of course he is) to save itself from destruction (from what, I am not sure...)

They've also picked up RAKE. Starring Greg Kinnear, and based on the Australian series of the same name. A legal drama. The main character is a lawyer, a recovering addict who has serious issues. To quote IMDB on the Australian version:
    Finally, there is GANG RELATED

Supposed to be gritty drama, focusing on people working on a gang task force. Starring Terry O'Quinn, Ramon Rodriguez and RZA. RZA, if you don't know him, is a hip hop artist, and a major part of the Wu-Tang Clan, as well as a successful actor.

2. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Rake is the only one of those four I have absolutely NO desire to see. Under The Dome starts in June and I will check it out. Well it is June so not like there will be much else to watch. :lol:

3. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

All those shows involve people investigating stuff--or worse, lawyers with questionable morals. I'll give shows with anyone from "Lost" a shot, but I don't enjoy procedurals. I want mythologies! At least there's the CW....

4. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

Both The Americans (FX) and Vikings (History Channel) have been renewed for 2014, but neither will premiere until midway through the season (~ March).

5. Yehudi

Yehudi Well-Known Member

I am hoping Rupert Grint and Steven Fry's pilot, "Super Clyde", gets picked up.

For Tudors and Game of Thrones fans, "The White Queen" might be worth checking out. The "White Queen" is about the War of the Roses, which, as many people know, was the inspiration for Game of Thrones. Some well-known actors such as James Frain, Rupert Graves, and David Oakes are in it.

6. GarrAarghHrumph

Fox has picked up five new comedies:

BROOKLYN NINE-NINE

From the guys that do "Parks and Recreation", which, btw, is the only NBC comedy I've heard has yet been renewed, this one stars Andy Samberg and Andre Braugher, and is focused on police officers.

DADS

This is a live action Seth MacFarlane piece, which had already been confirmed for six episodes, and has now been expanded to 13. It stars Seth Green (Yay!) and Giovanni Ribisi as childhood best friends whose PITA dads move in with them. The dads are Martin Mull (!!!!!) and Peter Riegert (perhaps most famous from Animal House.)

ENLISTED

A family comedy involving three brothers getting to know each other again on a small Florida Army base.

US & THEM

Based on the BBC series “Gavin and Stacey”

SURVIVING JACK (working title)

Based on Justin Halpern’s book, “I Suck at Girls.” Set in 1990s Southern California, starring Christopher Meloni as a dad

7. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I LOVE cop dramas! Law and Order was one of my all time faves! :p

P.S.
    We need AliasJohnDoe back. :(

8. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I'm still waiting for my cop show starring Sawyer and Miles as partners working a beat :mad:

9. znachki

znachki Active Member

Love them both - although I don't remember Riegert in Animal House. I know him from Local Hero and Crossing Delancy, and various guest appearances.

TNT has also announced two shows for the summer of 2014 (who even knows when seasons are these days...):

LEGENDS

Sean Bean stars as Martin Odum, an undercover agent working for the FBI’s Deep Cover Operations (D.C.O.) division. Martin has the uncanny ability to transform himself into a completely different person for each job. But he begins to question his own identity when a mysterious stranger suggests that Martin isn’t the man he believes himself to be. Also stars Ali Larter and Tina Majorino.

THE LAST SHIP

The story opens with a global catastrophe that nearly decimates the world’s population. Because of its positioning, the Navy destroyer U.S.S. Nathan James avoids falling victim to the devastating tragedy. But now the crew and its captain must confront the reality of their new existence in a world where they may be among the few remaining survivors. They have a scientist on board who has been charged with finding the cure. Eric Dane and Adam Baldwin star

Sean Bean in a role that won't see him killed off :cheer: and Adam Baldwin back!

10. GarrAarghHrumph

NBC had ordered the following for the 2013/2014 TV season:

About A Boy

Based on the Nick Hornby book and the film of the same name. Starring Minnie Driver.

Sean Saves the World

Starring Sean Hayes. Sean is a divorced gay dad whose 14 year old kid moves in with him. Sean is determined to be the best parent ever, but his boss seems to have other plans for him, deciding that now is the ideal time to increase his work hours and workload.

The Family Guide

Plot sounds like it's trying to be overly quirky, so we'll have to see.

Believe

JJ Abrams. Focuses on a girl with emerging powers and a man who has been released from prison to act as her protector. Inspired a bit by Buffy?

Crisis

Focuses on a Secret Service agent who is involved in the investigation when the President's son and his classmates are kidnapped. Dermot Mulroney stars.

11. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Any trailers available yet? :shuffle:

12. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Thank goodness for NBC. Shows I want to watch!

13. GarrAarghHrumph

Most likely next week, during or after the upfront presentations. The upfronts are:

May 13, 2013 NBC-TV New York 11:00 am Radio City Music Hall
    May 13, 2013 FOX-TV New York 4:00 pm Beacon Theatre
    May 14, 2013 ABC-TV New York 4:00 pm Avery Fisher Hall
    May 15, 2013 CBS New York 4:00 pm Carnegie Hall
    May 16, 2013 THE CW New York 11:00 am New York City Center

Fun for celebrity spotting for those interested. You can't get inside, of course, but you can hang around outside and see people coming in/going out.

These are also the dates by which these networks reveal which existing shows have been cancelled and renewed. So for example, if you're really into Community on NBC, which is understood to be a "bubble" show, we'll most likely know its fate by 5/13 morning.

Last edited: May 9, 2013
  14. znachki

znachki Active Member

15. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/elementary-film-london-season-2-519691

'Elementary' Heading Overseas for Season 2 Premiere
    7:00 AM PDT 5/9/2013 by Philiana Ng

EDIT:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/kateaurthur/2013-tv-season-renewals-cancellations-bubble-upfronts

Which TV Shows Have Been Renewed, Which Have Been Canceled, And Which Ones Are We Waiting To Hear About?

The broadcast television networks announce their new shows and new schedules the week of May 13. Here's what's happened so far, and what's still up in the air.

posted on May 3, 2013 at 8:18pm EDT

Kate Aurthur - BuzzFeed Staff

EDIT2:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/kateaurthur/nbc-new-shows-2013-2014-upfront-schedule

NBC Announces Five New Shows

NBC has picked up some new shows, including a comedy starring and produced by Sean Hayes, a J.J. Abrams thriller, and About a Boy the show!

posted on May 9, 2013 at 4:16pm EDT

Kate Aurthur

Last edited: May 9, 2013
  16. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

You guys are great! Thank you!

17. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Let me see if I can get all my picks right:

Almost human
    Gang Related
    Believe
    Last Ship
    Legends
    Enlisted

18. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

19. GarrAarghHrumph

24 may return to Fox as a limited run series!!!!!! My husband joked, "What, are they going to make it 12 hours?" I'm kind of excited about that. I started watching 24 late in its run. I'll take 12 hours if that's what I can get. ;)

NBC has just renewed Parks and Recreation, and cancelled Whitney, 1600 Penn, Guys with Kids, and Up All Night. That means Community is still TBD.

The CW has renewed the Carrie Diaries and Nikita.

The CW has ordered the following new series:

The Tomorrow People

Based on the 1970's series from the UK. About young people who represent the next stage of human evolution.

The 100

Set 100 years in the future, post-nuclear apocalypse

Reign

About Mary, Queen of Scots, as a young person

Star Crossed

Humanoid aliens trying to blend into high school on Earth

20. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Star Crossed = Roswell reboot?!
    Reign = I'll take a pass
    100 = heartbreak hotel because like 99% of all sci-fi series it will be cancelled quickly
    The Tomorrow People = interesting but if I see even one vampire or werewolf I'm GONE! :lol:

21. CDANN1013

CDANN1013 Active Member

I heard Tomorrow Pele is about a Vampire that turns into werewolf during the full moon, ;)

22. znachki

znachki Active Member

Shouldn't be any of those. SciFi not fantasy. In the early 1980's, when Nickelodeon was getting started, they showed The Tomorrow People.

Series One, Episode One, Pt. One

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YzTWxjdWPU

I think that people who designed the opening credits of Fringe used to watch this series :lol:

23. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I'm gonna keep an open mind but good grief it looks cheesy. :lol: Shouldn't be too expensive to make a show about a bunch of telepaths so hopefully this one will not get cancelled too quickly.

24. GarrAarghHrumph

It's on the CW, so it'll be about young, really good looking telepaths who want to date each other. Should do pretty well. ;)

25. GarrAarghHrumph

NBC has ordered the following new series:

Undatable

A comedy about a group of romantically challenged friends.

Ironside

A remake of the series from the 1970's, with Blair Underwood in the role made famous by Raymond Burr

Chicago PD

Dick Wolf's spinoff of Chicago Fire

26. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

OMG!!!!' I LOVE Raymond Burr and Ironside! YIKES! That is the scariest news I have heard in a while. :yikes:

27. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I'll be looking forward to that, as well.
    I like Blair Underwood.

28. GarrAarghHrumph

TNT has just cancelled "Southland".

29. GarrAarghHrumph

NBC has just cancelled Go On, the Matthew Perry sitcom. We're still awaiting word on Community and The New Normal, which are on the bubble.

30. GarrAarghHrumph

CBS has just cancelled CSI: NY, Vegas, and Golden Boy.

CBS had just picked up the following new series:

Intelligence

A drama starring Josh Holloway from Lost. He's a federal agent who has a microchip implanted in his brain, to help with fighting crime... somehow.

Hostages

Based on an Israeli tv show. Toni Collette and Dylan McDermott are in this one. It involves a family caught in a political conspiracy.

Beverly Hills Cop

Need I say more?

Mom

A comedy about a newly sober mom living in, of all places, Napa Valley

Millers

Will Arnett is in this one, which means I'll probably at least check it out. A son gets divorced, and his parents have their own marital issues.

We are Men

Kal Penn, Tony Shalhoub. A young guy finds friendship while living among the more experienced guys he meets in a short-term rental complex. Now, to me, this one sounds like a winner.

Crazy Ones

Robin Williams! Sarah Michelle Gellar! In a David E. Kelley workplace comedy. Could be worth checking out.