2013-14 Program Music & Choreographer news & info known to date

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Apr 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

"A Skater's Life - Music Design (Figure Skating) - 2012-13 Figure Skating - Courtesy CBC - [music editor] Hugo Chouinard bio" - choreographer Julie Marcotte is also interviewed in this 3-minute feature from this past season (Virtue/Moir's "Carmen" was edited by Chouinard, for example): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KR-6G0wj8so

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
  2. rosewood

rosewood Well-Known Member

I posted the video of JiJun's new SP here
    Music: "Danzarin" by Tango Lorca
    Choreo: Lori Nichol

3. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Thank you for the link to Zijun Li's SP at the June 10th Guangzhou show of "Artistry on Ice"! :)

ETA this excerpt from the Kiss and Cry forum: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...scussion-etc&p=3936407&viewfull=1#post3936407
    Two U.S. JGP dance teams debuted their Junior free dances at the Picken Pro-Am comp. on 6/8:

Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
  4. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

Thanks!

Oh, Ms. Nichol, when are you going to stop recycling Mirai's programs? Mao's I've Got Rhythm was well, okay since Mao did live it but two choices that Mirai did in just the last couple of seasons for amazing and precious Li? Just...

5. AppleBlossom

AppleBlossom New Member

ITA. The edited music is exactly the same as Mirai's 2011-2012 sp..... :eek:

6. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

How much is the Chinese fed paying for this recycled crap?

7. misskarne

misskarne #408

All this recycling is exactly why hearing that Max Aaron was working with Lori Nichol had me running for the hills. :scream:

8. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

Did Lori choreograph Mirai's Carmen? Maybe they're calling it "modern" because it was choreographed in modern times?

9. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

From today's "The Inside Edge" blog (scroll down): http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130612&content_id=50410764&vkey=ice_news
    (The Broadmoor Open Senior Men's FS is scheduled for Saturday, June 29.)

ETA Further down the blog:

Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
  10. Dilng

Dilng Well-Known Member

So do I! :) I think it's a great choice for the Olympic season!

11. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Nichol is capable of so much more, as her work with Kostner has shown. Why is it that she gives everyone else warhorses and recycled choreo?

In non-Nichol client updates, Joubert is reportedly making some changes to his LP (minor ones, I assume) and will work with Maksim Staviski on his SP, music currently undecided.

12. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  13. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  14. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

15. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Oh, somehow I didn't see that in my site search. Thanks, Sylvia!

16. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Yulia has always struck me as a smart girl, and I'm glad she's not using Morozov anymore.

Cherub721 and (deleted member) like this.
  17. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

18. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

19. Moka-Ananas

Moka-Ananas Man's Ruin

He said he skated his new SP in some shows in Korea. Any videos perhaps?

20. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

She'll keep doing it as long as people pay her for it. :blah:

21. key65man

key65man New Member

Regarding Lori's work for Zijun Li....

There is no actual danger in recycling music and choreographic cliches when properly done. Neither is there any ethical dilemma, especially when done by the same choreographer.

It can even be fresh or inventive.

Do I think that Zijun Li&#8217;s short program is fresh and inventive? No. However, I do believe that it is done properly to suit Li&#8217;s abilities at the moment.

At this stage of development, Li's artistic priority should be to establish an artistic identity. Lori seems to have chosen to go with a more conventional yet style molding choreography rather then with a ground breaking one, perhaps reflecting Li&#8217;s abilities right now.

It is every choreographer&#8217;s dream to see his/her creation performed by a great skater. Every choreographers puts more thoughts and time into a program for such a skater. It , however, doesn&#8217;t mean that choreographers thoughtlessly mass-produce generic programs for lesser skaters. But, not every program may be thoughtful and inventive since lesser skaters often cannot handle more complex, inventive programs to begin with.

Li obviously is one of the most talented in her peer group. But, I do not think she is yet to be considered as a great skater.

Olympic champions have an iconic status though fleeting. And, Yuna Kim arguably is the most influential Olympic champion since Kat Witt. It is quite understandable that Li wants to be like Yuna Kim. But, I do not think Li&#8217;s overall skating and artistic approach truly resemble those of Yuna Kim&#8217;s. Arguably resembling a bit more those of Mao Asada&#8217;s, which is not bad considering popularity of Mao Asada here in FSU. And, Lori has been great for Mao Asada.

Figure skaters are not dancers on ice. They are merely utilizing aesthetic overtones derived from dancing, classic or modern or contemporary, and acting. Skaters&#8217; exposure to the aesthetic disciplines is limited -- in comparison with real dancers, that is -- in general, which is why choreographers often play a critical role in developing skaters artistically. The collaboration between Lori and Li should be viewed as a long term project. I think Lori is good for Li in terms of molding Li's artistry.

22. Jun Y

Jun Y Well-Known Member

Let's not kid ourselves. Lori Nichol sees Li Zijun for a week or two, makes sure the latter learns the steps and movements, and then Li goes home to practice her jumps and looks at videos to make sure she doesn't forget where to flick a hand or raise an arm. What "developing skaters artistically" can anyone do in this kind of exchange? It's a business.

23. key65man

key65man New Member

Lori has already worked with Li before. And, Lori has choreographed both SP and LP for this season.

24. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

I agree completely.

25. Jun Y

Jun Y Well-Known Member

The above posts seem to imply Ms Nichol thinks the best way to develop a new and immature skater is to have her imitate other skaters she had worked with before. I don't, but then I'm not a famous choreographer getting paid 20K a program.

26. rosewood

Voronov skated at Bolshoi on Ice shows in Korea. http://2013bolshoi.blog.me/40186086191 Unfortunately I couldn't find any videos of his new SP on youtube.I just found the video of closing and you can recognize him around 2:30. http://www.youtube.com/watch?client=mv-google&hl=ja&gl=JP&v=NqXYiGVz-pI&feature=youtu.be&nomobile=1

I know Gachinski skated his new program, Anna Karenina, at Bolshoi shows, too. I couldn't find it on youtube, either. Hopefully someone recorded and post them.

27. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

28. rosewood

29. key65man

key65man New Member

Sorry if I gave you a wrong impression. I just didn’t imply that at all.

Simply put, when you work with a skater on a consistent basis, you, as a choreographer, get to understand the artistic strengths of the skater and accordingly choreograph the programs. In so doing, a style or idiosyncrasies can emerge. Long-term collaboration often leads to that, and a choreographer plays a critical role in the process.

The reason I mentioned Mao Asada is not to imply that Li needs to imitate Mao Asada artistically (regardless of developing a style or not) or to suggest that Lori would think that way -- I am not her -- but to show that Lori has successfully worked with a stylistically similar skater(s) before. Therefore, there is no reason to think that Lori may not be successful with Li.

30. shine

shine Well-Known Member

Well, I think Li's program is quite different from Mirai's and I feel Lori actually put more thought into the program than she did with Mirai. I also see marked improvement in her artistic expression - I'm impressed to see that there's actually some "dance" in her skating (particularly in the way she uses her arms and upper body) rather than just skating from one element to the next. So whatever they are doing it's paying off quite well IMO. I really like this program for her.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.