2013-14 Program Music & Choreographer news & info known to date

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Apr 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Do you loathe the GWTW music or the story, or both?

Maybe Alissa reveals her sp music in her upcoming interview with Jenny and Dave's TSL.

2. shan

shan Well-Known Member

The music.

3. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Fortunately for you, the first half of Czisny's FS is not GWTW. ;) It's possible that she has decided to keep both programs from last season that she never got to compete at 2013 Nationals, including her "La Vie en Rose" SP from 2011-12. We'll find out soon enough.

ETA:
    V/B also used "Time To Say Goodbye" in their 2012-13 FS, which turned out to be an apt choice since they decided to retire at the end of the season.

Last edited: May 5, 2013
  4. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I noticed that when I watched her program. I thought "wow, this music is not as annoying as I remember". And then it switched to the main theme. :fragile:

Still, it's just great to see her on the ice again. :)

5. N_Halifax

N_Halifax Active Member

"Legends Of The Fall" is one of the most beautiful film scores out there. I remember seeing Liz Manley skate to it live on Elvis Stojko's tour back in the 90's and I just had goosebumps.

6. Sylvia

TSL just posted a new video of Baga running through her SP without the jumps: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guRHi-Axyf8

7. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

I think if it were timed Ice Palace Suite eats up more time. I kept thinking when is GWTW going to start. I love GWTW, to a large extent because of of Vivien Leigh, and that passage of music always affects me emotionally.

8. misskarne

misskarne #408

As posted in the Russia thread, Artur Gachinski's first outing of "Anna Karenina".

Fancam ahoy.

9. Sylvia

10. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

So EXCITED for Madeline & Max, they are honestly my favorite junior pair team, and when they finally enter seniors I think they either may tie my fav pair team (Donlan & Speroff) or overtake them. Seriously, what's not to love about this pair! They *have it all* ~ technical ability, creativity, stretched & pointed toes, perfect posture, speed, power, aesthetically beautiful, ballet on ice ~ ahhhh. *insert heart*

And everything they have done since they teamed up and won novice pairs a couple of years ago has been phenomenal, gorgeous music, choreographed programs that highlight all their beauty & power, and on & on & on. Now they will be skating to one of Julie Marcotte's programs, OMG, it's bound to secure them the junior pair title at last...

Ahhh, excellent choices indeed! :hat1: Perfectly suited to their classical style of skating. If they can match Madeline & Max's exquisite interpretation of "Nutcracker On Ice" (which secured them the novice pair title btw), then nothing more need be said. Here's hoping they finally land the jumps, including the throw jumps, and live up to their potential!

I LOVE the movie "Ever After" starring Drew Barrymore (one of my all-time favs in fact!). Can't wait to see their interpretation to this magnificent piece of music! :cheer2:

Wow, Artur is really going for it, because the person that created this was also the same one that created Zhenya's signature piece ~ "Ninjinsky!" (8^O Can't wait to finally view it.

11. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Hey, NadineWhite and I were just discussing Mark Pallay's work for M-T/M in another thread. I didn't realize that Dornbush had worked with Pallay on his last season's sp, which I love! OK, I checked and it looks like Mark Pillay is the correct spelling -- it's misspelled as Pallay on Kirsten Moore-Towers' Wiki page.

I too am loving Donlan/ Speroff's choices ... on paper. Please be inspired (work hard on improving your weaknesses) and take some strong steps forward this coming season D/S! You have the power and the magic, and you can do it!

ETA:
    But it seems to me that Maddie and Max may have been inspired by Gretchen and Andrew's Sleeping Beauty fp in 2012:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTEdwrH1ZMs

to perform their own 2013 sp to The Swan:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIo5nGART7I

Last edited: May 8, 2013
  12. N_Halifax

N_Halifax Active Member

Some program updates from recent interviews I've done:

Sean Rabbitt's short program will be set to David Garrett's version of "Who Wants To Live Forever?", choreographed by Justin Dillon. His free skate will be performed to "Sing Sing Sing, Part 2" (Benny Goodman) from "Fosse", choreographed by Cindy Stuart: http://skateguard1.blogspot.ca/2013/05/interview-with-sean-rabbitt.html

Grant Hochstein will have a new free skate choreographed by Karen Kwan: http://skateguard1.blogspot.ca/2013/05/interview-with-grant-hochstein.html

South Africa's junior men's champion Johann Wilkinson - who is competing to defend his national title at his country's Nationals which start on Sunday - is using "In The Mood" by Glenn Miller as his short program and "The Feeling Begins" by Peter Gabriel for his free skate: http://skateguard1.blogspot.ca/2013/05/interview-with-johann-wilkinson.html

Hope this helps!

13. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

Per Max in his Jamestown interview...

Lori Nichol is choreographing his long program (!) and Pasquale the short program. Will have 3 quads in LP; 2 in SP.

14. arakwafan2006

arakwafan2006 Active Member

I hope we dont have to wait until October to find out what Mao is skating too...

15. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

16. Spun Silver

Spun Silver Well-Known Member

Boy, that's a stretch for Gracie. She has the look, but does she have the artistry? If Zoueva & Epstein can turn her into Princess Aurora... especially right after Zijun Li's big success with that music... it will be a huge leap forward for her. This will be interesting!

17. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

There's a lot of music in "The Sleeping Beauty," a lot of which could be very appropriate for Gold, but I doubt Zoueva will venture far from Rose Adagio and the Wedding PDD. The Carabosse music is very strong: it was used for Urmanov's Tchaikovsky mash-up program that also included "Swan Lake" and for which his costume had wings, and I'll be happily surprised if Zoueva ventures there.

18. mgobluegirl

mgobluegirl Well-Known Member

Even if it turns out kind of bland, it's GOT to be better than last year's material.

19. Sylvia

20. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

It sounds like Kiri's Dark Eyes is to the exact same version of the song, exact same cuts and all, as Sasha's SP, with, from what I could see, most of the jumps and the spiral in the exact same place? :shuffle: I already can't help but compare to Sasha's program when someone skates to that music, because her program was just wonderful, but this really, really looks like a lesser version of what I consider to be one of the greatest SP's skated (the 2006 Olympics performance). I hope it seems less like that once it's finished.

21. stjeaskategym

stjeaskategym Well-Known Member

I think it's a little lame to be using the same music that one of your main competitors used last season, but it's one of those pieces that will have the audience standing at the end as long as you land the jumps. In that regard, I think it's a pretty "safe" choice of music for Gracie. She doesn't have the artistic qualities of Zijun Li or the light, "princess-like" look to her skating, but I'm not sure that the judges will demand that of her, unfortunately. She'll probably do just fine with it.

22. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

^^Sleeping Beauty is a warhorse so it's definitely not out-of-the-box in terms of originality. I think there will be a lot of warhorses this year just b/c no one wants to take the risk of the judges hating what they do in an Olympic year. Best to play it safe and venture out season after next.

That said I don't like the music selection for Gracie. It's graceful and light and she is neither of those things. Zijun's program wasn't a masterpiece or anything but it was a lovely program that fit her style: light, airy, lyrical. When I think of Gracie I don't think of lyrical or graceful so it's a bit of a stretch for me to imagine her pulling off this music right now. I hope she's able to prove me wrong...

Because it's Zoueva the program, at the very least, will be decent choreographically. Whether or not Gracie pulls it off convincingly probably won't matter as much as it should as long as she hits the jumps. It's sad but that's the state of things now...

Last edited: May 15, 2013
  23. demetriosj

demetriosj Well-Known Member

Yes, they couldn't come up with something even a little more original?!

24. N_Halifax

N_Halifax Active Member

I'll be honest. I'm not crazy about the music choice. It's been done. That said, she's a great skater and I'm sure it will be a lovely program. She has the jumps to make a go of whatever program she ends up doing anyway. If you land a triple lutz/triple toe and a handful of other triples, you've got such an edge technically anyway.

25. Doubletoe

Doubletoe Well-Known Member

My apologies if this was posted in another thread and I just missed it, but any word on which choreographer(s) Ashley Wagner is going to be working with? Seeing as she was intent enough on working with someone else that Philip Mills dumped her, she must have had an idea about who that would be . . .?

26. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Gold, "Sleeping Beauty" and Zoueva. Wow. Just wow. I could not imagine a combination that (at least on paper) looks more horrifying. Gold needs more character, more personality, she needs to develop her own style. Zoueva is pretty much the last person who could help you achieve that. And that bland, safe and overused music as well? Terrible, terrible choices.

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  27. Tony Wheeler

Tony Wheeler Well-Known Member

While I'm not holding my breath for Gold's new program, who would've thought Angela Nikodinov would have such a great LP to Sleeping Beauty in 2001 after The Mummy the season before? :)

28. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Good point. I just love that music and that program. :)

29. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Maybe she is channelling Rechnio? :p

30. Hanna

Hanna Wheeeeeeeeeee

This.

I would love to see her go for a more modern style (à la Kostner). For some reason I feel like it would suit her.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.