2013-14 Program Music & Choreographer news & info known to date

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Apr 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. apple123

apple123 Banned Member

What does this have to do with anything? I'm simply expressing my opinion about this particular program. Is that not allowed? Are you a mind Nazzi or something? Should everyone praize your favourite? You know insecurity has its reasons, just saying.

spikydurian and (deleted member) like this.
  2. misskarne

misskarne Spirit. Focus. Ability. Tenacity. Aussie Grit.

I'm not sure my honest question warranted your aggressive reply.

3. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Wow, bringing up Nazis (misspelled) and "just saying" in the same post - I actually agreed with parts of your previous post, but this one is rude and obnoxious.

4. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

A lot of people are rude and obnoxious.... not the least being misskarne in other posts.
    Now I am just saying......

5. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

A pot calling a kettle black miskarne ...:lol: Your reaction to apple123's first comment was equally aggressive don't you think so? No?

6. misskarne

Er, my reply to apple123's first comment was this:

Which I'm not quite sure could ever be classed as aggressive. It was an honest question.

Kasey and (deleted member) like this.
  7. Zemgirl

I suspect there is a very strong relationship between one's perception of Patrick Chan and one's perception of misskarne's post ;)

8. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

On the contrary, I am amused by misskarne's sensivity towards any mere comment which does not spell love towards her favourite skaters, and yet she constantly call other skaters' names. At least apple123 didn't call Jason's choreography kitchen sink or zombie.

9. misskarne

Are you not familiar with the phrase, "everything including the kitchen sink"? That is what I used to describe Chan's choreography as I feel he puts in every single transition possible (whether or not it matches the music). Thus, his choreography includes the kitchen sink.

And who did I call a zombie?

10. leigh466

leigh466 Active Member

Imagine my surprise when I came to the last page of the thread to be updated on program music/choreographer news. Just sayin.

11. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

I'm guessing that Nichol, Buttle and Wilson are some of the most sought after choreographers in figure skating for their ability to pack their programs with meaningless and purposeless transitions that don't match the music.;)

12. Zemgirl

I am not sure how exactly this is contrary to what I wrote.

I'd like to answer this seriously even though it wasn't meant as such ;) At their best, Nichol and Wilson are capable of fantastic work - e.g. Nichol's programs for Kostner, or the beautiful SP Wilson did for Dai a couple of years ago. But they choreograph for many clients of varying skill and talent, and sometimes their work is a more by the numbers (to put it diplomatically).

Buttle's body of work so far as a choreographer isn't nearly as extensive, but I like what I've seen from him. I think that as a skater too, he knew how to fit the transitions and the display of skill with the music, and it seems to be carrying into his work as a choreographer.

BTW, which of them is doing the choreo for Chan's new FS?

13. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

Excessive transitions might be a reason that chan is prone to falling.

14. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Chan falls on his jumps. He isn't doing any transitions in mid-air.

15. dots

dots Well-Known Member

It's harder to go clean when you packed a program with a lot of transitions. It takes the wind out of you. It's the same reason most skaters don't spin before doing a quad jump.

16. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

:huh: Transitions usually precede his jumps though, making them more difficult to land.

17. Proustable

Proustable New Member

Wilson

18. Eyre

Eyre New Member

What does this discussion on Jason Brown have to do with Patrick Chan?:confused: Chan never sacrifised his speed for anything including transitions.

It is the "kitchen sink" choreographers who are most sought out by the skaters and praised by the judges.;) So who cares if you don't like those "kitchen sink", "mismatched" choreography?:shuffle:

By the way, Takahashi was eager and might be at last to have the world biggest "kitchen sink" choreography this coming season.:lol: In the meantime, Chan will still keep the same "kitchen sink" choreographers from last year.:cheer:

Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
  19. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

Some of the fans of Chan might be having a lot of trouble to accept criticism with respect to Chan's musicality coming from supporters of some other skaters who aren't exactly famous for their artistic skills. Such as those pushing for Max Aaron over Jeremy Abbott. Just sayin'. lol

When you have to deliver 10 to 15 choreographies per season and have deadlines to meet, your work being a more by the numbers is sometimes inevitable, I suppose.

I saw Buttle in some photos at Alexei Mishin's training camp, teaching Mishin's students how to skate. Who would have thought a few years back that something like this would happen one day?:lol:

But going back to Jason Brown, I'll be curious to see how he will reconcile speed and power with variety and difficulty of transitions as well as consistency on the jumps. Especially when he starts doing quadruple jumps.

20. Li'Kitsu

Li'Kitsu Member

Same here. Maybe this is supossed to tell us that some skater is going to skate to "The Bickering Blues" by The Victims Of Boredom, or something like that. (Would be god awful Music, I guess :rolleyes:)

Hopefully we'll be getting some news soon (and Hanyu, I mean you with that!).

21. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

IIRC in previous years, there were two threads. One for just the posting of music selections, and one thread like this one for discussion. I don't think anyone would object to someone starting a clearly labelled thread to be updated with music selections only. The mods would probably make it a sticky. I'm not about to wade through all these pages to gather the info, though. :lol:

22. cbd1235

cbd1235 Active Member

Have you ever figure skated....EVER!? Anyone who HAS figure skated will know that this is the dumbest post of all time.

Jumps are exponentially harder with even the most simple of transitions. Try your hand at challenging and intricate transitions, then pack them into your program, then try to deal with how tired you are from merely attempting the transitions. Now try adding jumps please.

23. morqet

morqet Active Member

24. valyrian

valyrian New Member

MJ for the shibs? Out of the box for them, I suppose, but so was their frankly weird sd from last year. Hopefully it'll work..

25. leapfrogonice

leapfrogonice Active Member

Learned so much about their thinking from the announcement. (Classy website too). The short dance sounds like a very natural choice right in their sweet spot.

Cool for them to continue taking such an authentic and multi disciplinary approach! Travis Payne, Michael Jackson's choreographer from "This Is It". Originally recorded music by a group from Japan. Lots of good stuff. Looking forward to seeing what sounds like an enjoyable program.

26. circuscandy

circuscandy New Member

I've been listening to 1966 and these instrumentals are really beautiful and dynamic. I'm very curious to see how it all comes together.

27. rosewood

rosewood Wheeee! Wonder babies!

According to this Russian article, both of Radionova's new SP and FS are choreographed by Ilia Averbukh. Radionova explains that her SP is classic but combined with modernism, FS is Latin, and her SP and FS are so different from each other.
    http://fsrussia.ru/news/626_elena-radionova-v-etom-sezone-budem-delat-stavku-na-stabilnost/

Some people tweeted that Radionova's SP is Anna Karenina. I heard it is written in "World Figure Skating", a magazine published in Japan. Gachinski and Radionova, then who is the next to use the music? ;)

28. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

That sounds awesome! Lipnitskaya is working with Averbukh too, right, or am I confusing them?

29. reut

reut Active Member

Yes, you're right. In one of his recent interviews Ilia mentioned that he hopes to be present in Sochi also as a choreographer and named those he worked with towards the Olympic season:

Cherub721 and (deleted member) like this.
  30. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

Thank you for the information. That is great - I am glad for the continued collaboration with Zhiganshina/Gazsi, and also for Sinitsina/Zhiganshin. S/Z really need better, more interesting and mature programs than last season. I hope that Averbukh can accomplish that for their FD. And, of course, hoping for something better for Lipnitskaya. I think Radionova had a better LP than Lipnitskaya, but things definitely can be improved.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.