2013-14 Program Music & Choreographer news & info known to date

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Apr 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

I hope their music cut uses the final part of Schez, that isn't heard enough in skating.

2. literaryfreak

literaryfreak Well-Known Member

Yes! I adore :swoon: the violin solo at the very end.

Coco and (deleted member) like this.
  3. shan

shan Well-Known Member

me too! :)

4. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

It's very ethereal. :inavoid:

5. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Re-posting from the Chinese news thread:
    "Gourmet Valse Tartare" from the Hannibal film soundtrack: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApGp_FPHIT0

There's a "Minor Waltz" (second track) on the album titled Doubles Jeux (Laurent Korcia): http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=7537418

Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
  6. giselle23

giselle23 Active Member

What would the Olympics be without Scheherazade? (I also hope this is just a rumor)

7. parapluies

parapluies Well-Known Member

:lol: And people say Carmen is overused.

8. kosjenka

kosjenka Well-Known Member

When was the last time Sheherazade was used by ice dancers? I am really interested in seeing some free dances with this music, preferably under 6.0.

Sylvia and (deleted member) like this.
  9. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

I can't recall, but considering it was used by two of the current OGMs within the past five years, I'd hardly consider this an original choice. OTOH, I can't blame skaters for playing to their strengths in an Olympic year.

10. parapluies

parapluies Well-Known Member

Doesn't matter. Its still an old warhorse.

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  11. kosjenka

kosjenka Well-Known Member

Well I am not thrilled about it, but it could have been worse choice.
    I didn't loath Carmen, but I am sure sick of hearing it during ice dancing competition.

12. dardar1126

13. misskarne

misskarne #ForzaJules #KeepFightingMichael

I'm having a bit of a chuckle at certain people hating on D/W (I assume they are V/M fans) for their choice of Sheherezade, and yet, what did V/M use last season...?

14. jiggs

jiggs Well-Known Member

Looks like Denis Ten and Carolina Kostner are currently in Toronto getting their programs done ... http://instagram.com/p/awsIMfu41Q/#
    Can't wait to hear about their music selections :)

15. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

Actually, I have anothing against Shez as a music piece. Its just the choreo one fears. DW have been very repetitive in movement already. If you play a couple of their programs side by side you can easily pick this out. While I was one of those who was really upset that VM ( my favourites) chose Carmen I liked what they did with it. And no one can say it was same ole same ole.....

16. dardar1126

I like VM, but I did NOT like what they did with Carmen...I thought some of their moves and lifts were way too suggestive and borderline lewd. They made me quite uncomfortable. :wideeyes:

My favorite dance they ever did was that Mahler piece at the Olympics...that was sublime! :saint:

17. junior miss

junior miss New Member

any music
    choreography news on Virtue and Moir?

18. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

^^^ All that is publicly known is that Virtue/Moir have spent some time in Montreal with Jean-Marc Généreux, a French Canadian ballroom dance champion and choreographer - he tweeted this photo with them on April 9: http://pic.twitter.com/8ooQZSoPUH

19. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

He most likely worked on their SD, since he has choreographed quickstep dances.

Actually there are a lot of people on 'FSUniverse' who are always disappointed with any skater using music that has already been used a lot, and many of them are neither V/M, nor D/W fans. But, of course, parapluies is a Tessa and Scott fan :rolleyes: :shuffle:.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
  20. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

Deleted Post

21. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

I have only read that it will be "classic and elegant" but not the same as Mahler since they believe they are not the same skaters now as they were then. (Crosses fingers for a ballet)

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  22. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

Hmmmm...wouldn't Daphnis et Chloe be great?

23. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Not, I assume, this kind of "classical and elegant"? :p

24. lola10

lola10 New Member

Everyone who thinks that Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir's Carmen was too much, will always believe it. From the first moment I saw it, I thought it was great and something very different with a complete new perspective on an old piece of music and insanely difficult. From what I have read and heard from critics as well as commenters, I am not alone with this. Until the end of the season, it was called the most artistic program under the CoP. In the end, art is always two things: firstly, subjective and secondly, controversial. So, for me, Carmen was a complex, intricate masterpiece of art.

Concerning Scheherazade: although, it is Rimski-Korsakow most famous composition because of the Arabic theme of One Thousand and One Nights, it is not my favourite of his. He is famous for using old folk tales as a basis for his music. Personally, I hoped for more from them and therefore, that it remains rumour. Scheherazade is dramatic with some tension and great harmonic, vivid orchestration, but it is not very complex overall. I am not against overusing music; they are used so often for reason.

25. skatingfan04

skatingfan04 Active Member

Alexandra Paul/Mitchell Islam CAN

SD: Music from the musical 'Crazy for You' by George and Ira Gershwin (apparently it will be a foxtrot and quickstep combo)

FD: Music from the "W.E." soundtrack by Abel Korzeniowski

Announced via Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/AlexandraPaulMitchellIslam

26. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  27. mathil

mathil Active Member

According to David Wilson, Hanyu is going to skate to 'passionate and romantic' music from a movie soundtrack, for his free skate. He's going to skate it for the first time next week at Dreams on Ice in Japan.

28. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

I've often wondered why Carmen and Swan Lake is used so much - over and over again. It's like if one skater uses it, then other skaters just have to use it, too. It reminds me of the ending from the movie, Thelma and Louise ... "Hey Thelma!" "What, Louise!" "Let's go jump off a cliff!" "Okay, Louise! ... "Wheee! ... Thump!"

Seriously, though. Just because one skater uses the music doesn't mean that all the other skaters have to use it over and over again. Sometimes, originality is better. :)

29. zotza

zotza allergic to brainless skaters

I think that both belong to this kind of music that nobody can tell you that you had an ambiguous music choice.And they sound nice even to non experts,sometimes I've seen people watching a Swan Lake or Carmen program and being carried away by the music thinking that the actual skating is far more better than it really is.

Simone411 and (deleted member) like this.
  30. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

zotza, you do have a point there. I'm just thinking about all the other choices of beautiful music that could also be used.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.