2013-14 Program Music & Choreographer news & info known to date

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Apr 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Zijun's EX is 100x better than that SP which is basically an exact copy of Mirai's SP from 2 years ago (which wasn't that great then, either, if I'm being perfectly honest). Zijun should ditch that program and turn her EX into a competitive program instead.

2. key65man

key65man New Member

Could you elaborate how the two programs are exact copies of each other?

Each program has some choreographic cliches that are part of almost every choreographer's vocabulary. Each has some choreographic idiosyncrasies particular to a choreographer, Lori in this case. Each program has similar jump placements due to the fact that the music is same. I am not talking about those.

I am talking about overall approach, points of emphasis, taking into consideration each skater's strengths and weaknesses, etc.

This is not intended to be confrontational. I am really curious.

3. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

To me it seemed as though it was the exact same cut of music. I think it's fine that skaters use the same pieces of music, but the exact same cut is a bit of a low blow, unless it's been several years since anyone has used it. The choreography in the beginning with all the arm movements was eerie similar to those Mirai did in the same program. Then the wrist flicks and transitions throughout the program I thought were basically the same as Mirai's program too.

4. key65man

key65man New Member

Thanks for the explanation. I do understand where you are coming from.

But, if you look at other choreographers, you will see other types of cliches and idiosyncrasies they are fond of. But, their programs obviously differ in many aspects. In this case, the music is same; therefore, I do agree that it is arguable that they are similar.

Nevertheless, I think that Li’s program is different from Nagasu’s in terms of choreographic complexity including points of articulation (articulating different and/or more parts of a body, often simultaneously), dynamic intensity, different lines and shapes requiring weight shifts, etc. The differences perhaps reflect the skaters' capabilities.

Also, the original music is a short piece. The editing may not come with too much liberty.

I am positive on Li's program though it is not necessarily a great one. Of course, it is up to each of us to determine how well it is done.

5. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

It is still early in the season. Li will need time to develop the program. Li has a lot of potential. Will surely see more of her in future.

6. tutuchat

tutuchat New Member

I agree that Li has great potential, I so enjoyed her skates at Worlds and look forward to her programs this year

7. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

Doppio Axel posted on its facebook page that Davis/White's Free Dance might be Sheherazade, according to a rumour.

8. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

:wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

PLEASE just be a rumor. What a disappointment that would be.

9. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

i totally agree, even though the music might be a perfect fit for them. but i would be disappointed too

10. robinhood

robinhood Active Member

Sheherezade, Carmen, Rach 2...it's only been a couple of months and we already have all our favorite musics set for next season

11. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

Wouldn't surprise me at all. (Unless they're doing Scheherazade for their SD instead, which would be really interesting)

12. pingu

pingu Well-Known Member

The facebook page says it's the Free Dance:

13. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

Yeah - I was just hoping to myself that it would be something else. Unless they're gonna try to steal Jennifer Swan from Tessa and Scott. :lol:

14. literaryfreak

literaryfreak Well-Known Member

Scheherazade is perfectly D/W. A very smart strategical choice!

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  15. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

Well, that would suit them, unless they try to make it really balletic.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
  16. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Absolutely agree - excellent coice for D/W!

17. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Scheherazade is close in musical and dramatic temperament to Samson et Delilah, my favorite of D/W's FD's. It's also has the historic association with my all-time favorite American ice dancers, Blumber/Seibert, who lost an Olympic bronze because of that choice of music. Hopefully for D/W it will mean redemption.

18. literaryfreak

Yes, it would be quite the vindication for US ice dance if D/W were to win with this, if this rumor is true!

19. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

Agree will be excellent choice if true. Hope they choose some interesting costumes, I'm ready for bollywood style again, especially for Meryl.

20. casken

casken Well-Known Member

So I guess I'll go watch their 2009 FD with Scheherazade playing alongside to see what the program is going to look like. :p

21. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

Yes, Add S&D/Bollywood/Phantom together and voila you will get Scherazade.

aka_gerbil and (deleted member) like this.
  22. arakwafan2006

arakwafan2006 Active Member

I agree. It's great music and NOT overused in ice dance at all. Bravo.

BTW , sometimes, i think that people like to lead bandwagons so they say "ohhh..i'm so disappointed" when music is revealed hoping everyone will jump on board. Davis and White have yet to let us down with the content of their programs or their interpretation. Why not just be positive and say " cant wait to see it"? Everyone is entitled to their opinion however...

23. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

Twitter:

24. literaryfreak

I agree! The bejeweled two piece costumes are so flattering on Meryl.

25. casken

casken Well-Known Member

And the opposite is true as well.

So, how many of you are there? :p

26. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

This is exactly the sort of music I'd have expected D/W to pick. So I am neither disappointed nor surprised - just bored. Which is my usual reaction to them anyway ;)

Though I am holding on to the slim hope that maybe they will once again go with something relatively original for their non-FD Olympic program.

27. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

:lol: Did you at least find the below iconic D/W OD somewhat relatively original and non-boring, or at least more than mere Kraft slices?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqVXdkHKOUs

As one of the Eurosport commentators said: "That was fantastic ... I never get tired of watching it... When a folk dance is done right, you can find yourself transported... On the slo-mo you can see just how intricate everything is ... to keep the balance [is] not easy, let alone unison as well..."

28. arakwafan2006

arakwafan2006 Active Member

There are millions of us i tell you MILLIONS!!! lol.

shan and (deleted member) like this.
  29. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I think they could have a great FD with Scheherazade if the rumors are true. :cheer2:

30. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Us and DJ against the bored, cheese-refinement obsessed non-D/W fans. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.