2013-14 Program Music & Choreographer news & info known to date (continued)

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by aemeraldrainc, Sep 5, 2013.

1. aemeraldrainc

aemeraldrainc Active Member

2. kirkbiggestfan

kirkbiggestfan Well-Known Member

Pernelle Carron & Lloyd Jones FD: (from their official facebook page in French)
    Swan Lake with a remix specially created by the group BEAT CIRCUIT.
    Both programs were created in London, where the great creative energy inspired them.
    They kept the musical order of the piece and created a `twist`to explore different genres of dance and interpretations from classical, to contemporary, body popping,...

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  3. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

4. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

I am skeptical :scream:

5. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

Me too. Very Sceptical.

I take it that "body poping" is "body popping" and this is hiphop Swan Lake remix :wall:

6. kirkbiggestfan

kirkbiggestfan Well-Known Member

Yes, body popping and Lloyd Jones in the same sentence! :lol:

7. Primorskaya

Primorskaya Trummerlotte

Oh God. The only person I trust with a Swan Lake remix is Daisuke Takahashi.

8. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Dr.Siouxs and (deleted member) like this.
  9. seabm7

seabm7 Active Member

It seems to me that this hasn't been mentioned before. From PJ Kwong's High Performance Camp news page, http://storify.com/skatingpj/all-in-a-skating-day-s-work, the choreographer for Weaver and Poje's SD is Geoffrey Tyler.

I'm surprised. When did he start working on competitive programs?

10. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

oh my goodness.
    i will shut my mouth and just open it after i have seen anything, but i will fear the worst :D

11. geoskate

geoskate Well-Known Member

(Regarding Geoffrey Tyler). I think he was initially their acting coach when they were working on 'Je Suis Malade'. He has done choreography for them since then, however. PJ Kwong explores the choreography connection a bit in her podcast.

12. Dave of the North

Dave of the North Well-Known Member

...and not body pooping. :p Even Miley wouldn't do that....

13. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

Well, there's always next year's VMAs :scream: :yikes: .

14. DobrinFan

DobrinFan Active Member

15. Primorskaya

Primorskaya Trummerlotte

Warhorse alert: Oh, another POTO. Joy! :wall:

16. dots

dots Well-Known Member

17. JJS5056

JJS5056 Active Member

To the many posters in the other thread who seemed to be so offended by Savchenko/Szolkowy's "Send in the Clowns" costumes - I'm not sure any are reading this continued thread, but WHY?

The title is essentially "Send in the Fools," describing the lead characters as fools for the choices they'd made/are making. What in the world was wrong with them unmasking the facade and portraying the characters for what they really were: clowns/fools? It was clear in their expression and in the choreography that they understood the meaning and there were many moments where they would come together and separate, look a little bashful, show yearning (spinning around and looking down on their own in the beginning), etc. which was all very much in keeping with the song's meaning. I thought the program and costumes were a masterpiece.

I am sure I missed the discussion the first time around, so I hate to beat a dead horse, but with so many warhorses being chosen this season, it depresses me to see a team criticized for taking such a theatrical and unique approach to a song.

I hope somewhere among the black and red (with a few roses in the hair and matador jackets) Carmens, black and white (with some feathers) Swan Lakes, etc. we see someone find and act out a different character or deeper meaning or metaphor in these tired themes, and aren't scared of this type of reaction to something new. Or, hell, maybe they'll hear these songs and think of something completely unrelated to the ballet/movie/play... Maybe S/S heard the song and it just reminded them of sad clowns? Who cares if it did? If I wanted to see the same characters portrayed on ice, I woud go see a Broadway show. I am interested in seeing how this music transitions to ice and what it means to that skater/choreographer.

Rant over. But, in reality, it is truly maddening to see the music selections this year. Aren't the coaches and choreographers bored? I just can't imagine that someone would pick a career in an artistic/creative field and feel stimulated and satsfied by choreographing 29 Scheherezades. You would think in an Olympic year, especially, you would want to create and perform something special, personal and iconic. 1998 Ladies is a great example... The top 4's programs were all PERFECT for them. Lipinski with a Disney SP and exuberant LP, Kwan with a powerful classic SP and lyrical angelic LP, and LuLu with a sexy SP and cultural and spiritual LP. Down the list of skaters, every program fit that skater.... From Bute's mature selections to Slutskaya and Sokolova's playful and folksy choices, and finally, Hubert and Gusmeroli's avant garde pieces. There wasn't a warhorse to be found!

Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
  18. Ninchen

Ninchen Active Member

From Johnny Weir's facebook:
    LP to "Schindler's List"

19. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Word. Their program had a bittersweet vibe that reflected the song's lyrics.

20. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

21. morqet

morqet Well-Known Member

Agreed. Especially with the addition of the melancholy circus music for the last lift.

22. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Penny Coomes/Nick Buckland (GBR) talk about their free dance music in their new blog: http://metro.co.uk/2013/09/09/nick-...-2014-preparing-our-olympic-routines-3913158/

23. Ninchen

Ninchen Active Member

24. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

^^^ There's no need to delete your post - it's a lovely exhibition program by Weir. :)

Elene Gedevanishvili's FS last Friday night at the Middle Atlantics club competition in NYC: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNnImHL83TY
    Thanks to care bear for reminding me in the Kiss and Cry forum that this is "Giselle." ;)

(Gedevanishvili's SP music was posted in the earlier Programs thread as "Romance" from The Snowstorm by Georgy Sviridov.)

25. sadya

sadya Active Member

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  26. rosewood

rosewood Well-Known Member

27. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Is it a early season thing or does she not plan on adding the loop or flip back to her programs ever?

28. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

i think this seen jumping content should ensure her spot for sochi at nebelhorn trophy. for this it should be enough.

for later in the season, i would be pleased to see her with other triples than lutz, salchow and toeloop.

29. N_Halifax

N_Halifax Well-Known Member

Although it's for a pro-am event (the Japan Open), Jeffrey Buttle announced his FS will be set to "Tristan And Isolde":

Jeffrey Buttle‏ @J_Butt12:

Oh I forgot to mention, I will be skating to a new long to the music of "Tristan Und Isolde". Liebestod.

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  30. leapfrogonice

leapfrogonice Active Member

A Canadian tradition