2013-14 ISU Grand Prix Pre-announcement Thread

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Apr 20, 2013.

1. icellist

icellist Member

These are just my predictions based mainly that the feds have more of a say than the skaters :lol:
    and limited combinations for no consecutive events:

Chan: SC, TEB
    Ten: SA, RC
    Fernandez: COC, NHK
    SC wants Chan, NHK likes Fernandez, Ten gets SA before Fernandez. Chan likes TEB and Ten can talk Russian and visit home after RC
    Then again, NHK might want Ten so there's less competition for their skaters. (not so sure about this one)

Kim: SC, TEB
    Kostner: SA, COC
    Asada: NHK, RC
    Asada gets NHK. The other two probably don't want RC. Kim wants TEB. Setup so no consecutive competitions

V/T: SA, RC
    S/S: COC, TEB
    D/R: SC, NHK
    RC want V/T. SC want D/R. V/T want SA. S/S like early GPs so they get COC. No consecutive competitions

D/W: SA, NHK
    V/M: SC, TEB
    B/S: RC, COC
    I think this one is kind of obvious from fed/preference/no consecutives

2. babayaga

babayaga Active Member

In this interview (http://www.team-russia2014.ru/article/10507.html) V/T announced that they requested SA and NHK, they said these two events fit their training schedule the best. They also announced some time ago they won't do the Russian Cup for the same reason - inconvenient for their schedule.

3. npavel

npavel Well-Known Member

YuNa would like SA, and Kostner is from Europe, so I see Kostner at TEB and YuNa at SA

4. icellist

icellist Member

True but Yuna gets first dibs and wouldn't want both SA and SC because they're consecutive and early in the season. Yuna will get TEB.
    So that seeding works and Kostner doesn't have consecutive events. Kostner gets SA and COC.

If V/T want SA and NHK
    D/R get SC and RC
    S/S get COC and TEB

again, just my predictions but I think the Russian fed will try to persuade V/T to take RC
    I remember that S/S like early GP's so kind of sucks for them to get the 3rd GP earliest.

RunnersHigh and (deleted member) like this.
  5. tut88

tut88 Member

their choice ???
    Hope they will reconsider it, it them !
    At sc they wouls have a 2 place and more possibility to the gpf

6. tut88

tut88 Member

oh, interesting !
    i thought they still don't know where they will compete.

7. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

The only reasonable better scenario would be competing against B/S and beating them twice, but that's high risk even if they're chosen that way: losing to B/S would be worse than losing against D/W or V/M, since no one expects another team to beat either teams. Skate Canada would be a good choice for them, and I suspect Skate Canada won't choose Chock/Bates, unless forced to by the selection order.

The official selection hasn't yet taken place.

8. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

It confused me too. I was thinking; Where on earth is Street John. ;)

9. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Re-posting from the Russian news thread yesterday:
    I hope Russia submits her name - IMO, she has nothing left to prove on the JGP.

10. npavel

npavel Well-Known Member

Wasn't last year the last one where junior can get senior GP before they can go to ISU championships?

11. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Do you mean compete Senior GP and then go to Junior championships? If so, that provision did not pass, and there's no restriction on moving back and forth between Jr./Sr. GP and Jr./Sr. Championships, as long as the skater(s) is age-eligible. The only thing that's changed recently is that Jr. Pairs can no longer participate in both Jr. and Sr. GP.

12. npavel

npavel Well-Known Member

I mean, she isn't 15 by 1. July this year

13. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

^^^ Yes. At 14, Radionova can compete on the Senior Grand Prix this year.

ISU Rule 108:

14. Sedge

Sedge Active Member

It looks like that rule doesn't kick in until July 2014..does that mean that this year she can still do GP at 14( like Lipnitskaia my summer brain says)

Last edited: May 19, 2013
  15. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Correct. I should have been clearer in my earlier post. Radionova turned 14 on January 6, 2013.

16. npavel

npavel Well-Known Member

ok, so this is the last year for a skater who isn't 15 years old to participate at Senior GP. Thank you

17. missychu

missychu New Member

anyone know how and when we can buy grand prix FINAL tickets???

18. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

It's still too early to know much, but someone touched on this topic in the Chan über thread last month: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...oad-to-Sochi&p=3900836&viewfull=1#post3900836

ETA that TEB 2013 tickets are on sale: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?88024-Trophee-Eric-Bompard-2013

The Skate America and Skate Canada threads in GSD will be bumped up when tickets go on sale (hopefully soon).

Last edited: May 20, 2013
  19. Visaliakid

Visaliakid Well-Known Member

Last year the ISU published the 2012-13 Grand Prix Assignments on Monday, May 21st. So we might be seeing the 2013-14 assignments any day now.

20. npavel

npavel Well-Known Member

This year it seems to be later as pointed out here

21. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

I had mentioned ~June 1st in post #1 and my hearsay info is that the meeting will be held in Tokyo.

22. misskarne

misskarne #408

Still, it's only just over a week to go. We can hang on for that long!

RunnersHigh and (deleted member) like this.
  23. TAHbKA

TAHbKA Well-Known Member

From Zhulin's interview - Bobrova/Soloviev will participate CoR and either NHK or CoC

`We should know better later, but I can tell now it will be Moscow and either China or Japan. Katia and Dima are 3rd in the worlds standings, so we can assume the Americans Davis/White will choose the American Grand Prix, the Canadians Virtue/Moir will choose to skate in Canada, so Katia and Dima can skate in Moscow. Then it's the Americans choosing again, then Canadians and we are getting whatever will be left'

24. Proustable

Proustable New Member

Interesting that they won't go for TEB.

25. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Not that interesting. Zhulin assumes that TEB will be taken by either D&W or V&M.

26. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

The Grand Prix competition order this fall is:
    Oct. 18-20 - Skate America, Detroit, Michigan, USA
    Oct. 25-27 - Skate Canada International, Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
    Nov. 1-3 - Cup of China, Beijing, China
    Nov. 8-10 - NHK Trophy, Tokyo, Japan
    Nov. 15-17 - Trophee Bompard, Paris, France
    Nov. 22-24 - Rostelecom Cup, Moscow, Russia

US Figure Skating tweeted today:
    "Tickets for 2013 @HiltonHHonors Skate America will go on sale the same day the participating athletes are named: June 3rd."

27. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Sorry, I was confusing GPF with NHK. TEB is right before CoR, which would be back-to-back competitions for them. Neither CoC nor NHK would be.

28. misskarne

misskarne #408

The 3rd now. It seems to be getting later every time I look :(

And depending on what time on the 3rd, it might even be the 4th for me :(

Last edited: May 29, 2013
  29. IceIceBaby

IceIceBaby Member

Why can't the ISU just announce the date when the selections are announced? Why should this be such a big seacret?

30. lavenderblue

lavenderblue Active Member

Not the ISU itself, but both the USFSA and Skate Canada have said June 3 now, which is what I was rather assuming anyway -- it's the meeting that's June 1, plus that's a weekend, so Monday seemed like the earliest possibility. Disappointing as it is after all the "June 1"ing about the meeting itself.