2013-14 ISU Grand Prix Pre-announcement Thread

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Apr 20, 2013.

1. misskarne

misskarne #ForzaJules #KeepFightingMichael

I'd like to see Alex Johnson get SkAm since he can't qualify for the GP any other way. I can imagine that the USFSA wants to show off their new National Champion on home soil, so that's Max. Really hoping the third spot doesn't get wasted on Lysacek again.

2. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

I have a feeling Gold will get Skate America and Wagner's team will be :drama::drama:

3. jdonavan

jdonavan Member

What team? :lol:

jamesy and (deleted member) like this.
  4. reut

reut Active Member

From recent Nina Mozer's interview:

http://www.team-russia2014.ru/article/figur/10424.html

Surprising strategy. If they still prefer to stay in Europe, it means they will "take" Paris "from" Germans, as they have priority in their choice...

5. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

That's interesting, I wonder why they would want to travel verses staying in Russia? I can bet they won't go to China or Japan so I bet they will get TEB and Skate America.

6. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

I thought this was based on Federation preference and selection order. I didn't realize the skaters submitted preferences to the ISU: I thought they submitted them to their Federations, which then negotiated with the other Feds. (Of course, if Russia doesn't choose them in the host picks, they have to be selected by other hosts.)

7. nlyoung

nlyoung Active Member

I can't see Chan wanting NHK. He is terrible with jet lag which rules out both Japan and China. France again for him?

8. jlai

jlai Title-less

I'm actually hoping that USFS will wait to decide on SA host pick. Every year at least one skater makes huge improvements in the summer and doesn't get a good senior assignment.

9. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Last edited: May 3, 2013
  10. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

11. npavel

npavel Well-Known Member

she can't get two GP as she wasn't a seeded skater when she discovered the injury. So the only GP she can get is Skate America.

12. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

Czisny was 5th at Worlds 2011 and on that basis she can exercise her one-time option as a returning skater, which gives her two guaranteed GPs.

Rule 2.1 c (from 2012-2013 GP Announcement):

"“Come-Back” Skaters/Couples: Skaters/Couples who were previously seeded (placed 1 to 6 within the past 10 years at a ISU World Figure Skating Championships) and subsequently did not participate in one or more competitive seasons will be given priority consideration to re-enter the Grand Prix for selection of up to 2 assignments if they commit in writing to participating in 2 Grand Prix events and if such return is announced and confirmed by the date of the annual Selection Meeting. Such so called “come back skaters/couples” will not substitute any of the seeded skaters/couples, mentioned under a). “Come Back Skaters/Couples” must not fulfil the requirements of the minimum score and would be considered for selection as a Host Country Choice. A come back under this clause is allowed only once in their competitive career for any skater/couple."

13. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

The bolded part only guarantees one GP, but they *might* get two. At least that's how I comprehend "for selection of up to 2 assignments.

14. icemusings

icemusings Member

I've double checked my numbers and some of the totals don't seem to add up correctly. Can anyone confirm that I'm not missing a number or there's some obscure ISU rule that I don't know about?

Konstantin Menshov: Listed as 18th on the ISU list w/ 1675 points. I have him as 22nd with 1490 points.
    Vartmann/Van Cleave: Listed as 15th on the ISU list w/ 1527 points. I have them as 17th with 1311 points.
    Yu/Jin: Listed as 17th on the ISU list w/ 1461 points. I have them as 18th with 1269 points.
    Sui/Han: Listed as 16th on the ISU list w/ 1462 points. I have them as 19th with 1137 points.

All of my other calculations checked out so I'm trying to figure out what went wrong with these four.

15. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

16. npavel

npavel Well-Known Member

but she did compete in season 2011-2012, she qualified for the GPF and worlds, where she was way out of the top

17. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

She does qualify: the rule only requires that eligible skaters miss at least one season after having placed in the top 6 at any point in the past decade. This does not mean they have to have done so in their most recent competitive season. Johnny Weir, for instance, got his comeback skater assignments based on his 2008 finish, even though he later competed two more seasons before taking a break.

Czisny was in the top 6 in 2011 and missed all of 2012-13, so she's eligible.

18. npavel

npavel Well-Known Member

ok, thank you. I'm really happy she get this.:) My bad, I had understand this wrong

19. Zemgirl

It's a really broad qualification criterion - as best as I can work out, eligible skaters include (to name a few), KvdP, Sarah Meier, Julia Sebestyen, Emanuel Sandhu, just about every decent dance team you can imagine, and of course, Michelle Kwan.

20. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Who knows what the ISU means, but one difference between Czisny and Weir is that Weir never competed at World Championships after his 3rd in Gothenberg and never dropped below being a seeded skater.

If the ISU really means having been seeded at least once in the last 10 seasons without regards to having fallen out of the seeds list and being able to take off any combination of seasons after having been seeded once, then Fumie Suguri would also qualify for one GP spot under similar circumstances to Czisny.

21. euterpe

There is another rule for skaters placed 7-12:

2.2 c) Return of a ranked skater/couple - “Return Skater/Couple”
    A skater or couple, not included among those defined in paragraphs a) and b) above, who was previously in the top 7 to 12 at the 2010 or 2011 ISU World Figure Skating Championships but since was injured and/or did not compete at all during the entire 2011/12 season, may be chosen, if applicable, as a Host Country Skater, and in addition, may be considered as a Organizing Member’s Choice and will be ranked in the list of Season’s Best scores by taking the Season’s Best points of their most recent season, if proof is given in writing by their Member that they intend to continue their competitive career and their return is announced and confirmed by the date of the annual Selection Meeting. Such skater or couple is defined as a “Return Skater/Couple” and such a Return Skater/Couple does not need to fulfill the requirement of a minimum score.

This does not guarantee any events, though.

22. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

The ISU is sorely missing decision tables, at least as a basis for its documentation, but if Return Skaters are ranked by SB scores using one from a prior season, none would be out of Top 24, which should guarantee them at least one.

If the rules stay the same for host picks, there's no reason for them to mention that the host can pick Return Skaters, since the hosts can do as they please anyway. If they mean that the other feds shouldn't pick them for more than one event, they might have said that, but when do they say what they mean?

23. oubik

oubik Well-Known Member

If it wasn´t mentioned before and if my source is correct then the GP selection meeting is set to June 1st. Don´t know where. May is the time when Federations are sending ISU skaters who intend to stay at JGP, retired skaters and split couples.

24. query5

query5 New Member

Per kwantifiable, I see that voloshar/trankov wants or,had skate ameroca&nhk.
    Yuna would like skate america, skate canada, trophee bonbard.
    I know seeded skaters can request gp events, but I am,a bit surprised they actualky get the obes they want and annouce it before the list comes out,.

25. query5

query5 New Member

Per kwantifiable, I see that voloshar/trankov wants or,had skate ameroca&nhk.
    Yuna would like skate america, skate canada, trophee bonbard.
    I know seeded skaters can request gp events, but I am,a bit surprised they actualky get the obes they want and annouce it before the list comes out,.

l'etoile and (deleted member) like this.
  26. npavel

npavel Well-Known Member

why should YuNa get 3 entries?

27. ostile17

ostile17 Well-Known Member

According to Lynn Rutherford Twitter
    Maxim Trankov announced in a Russian interview he and Tatiana Volosozhar will compete at 2013 Skate America.

28. query5

query5 New Member

Yuna doesnt get three.
    She just stated her preference in hopes she get two preference.

29. euterpe

The #1 seeds (Kim, Chan, V/T, D/W) are virtually assured of getting their requested GPs. #2 seeds may get one or more preferences if they don't conflict with #1, and #3 seeds get what's left. Host picks come before seed selection, so that could impact some of the seed choices.

Kim and Kostner are not from host countries, and probably wouldn't choose NHK (#3 Asada) anyway.
    Chan can choose any venues as #2 and #3 are not from host countries.
    SC could name #3 D/R as a host pick, but V/T could choose any of the other hosts, as #2 S/S is not from a host country.
    In dance, all three seeds are from host countries and probably will be named as host picks. D/W has first choice of CoC, TEB or NHK.

30. Zemgirl

^ I believe this is correct so far as the seeded skaters get to request specific events and these requests are usually honored - but I don't believe that the host federations are obligated to go along with the skaters' wishes, just that this is common practice.

Or am I wrong on this?