2012 US Figure Skating Championships - San Jose, CA

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sk8SanJose, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Sk8SanJose

Sk8SanJose New Member

All-Event ticket packages are now available and the best part about it is that you can PICK and CHOOSE your own seats over the phone with a live person! This benefit is only available until April. After April, All-Event ticket packages will only be available through Ticketmaster and we all know how that goes...visit www.skatesanjose2012.com for more details.

2. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

http://www.skatesanjose2012.com/hotels.aspx The link is working, and I have already made my reservations.

Get ready for sticker shock! The top three hotels, the Fairmont, the Marriott and the Hilton are all $159 per night + 14% room tax + around $2.50 per night fees. The Marriott is already sold out, so maybe this is being reserved for a certain population, i.e. skaters, officials, judges, etc.

There are a few secondary hotels whose nightly rates are marginally less expensive:

-The Four Points Sheraton-No stated rate
    - The Hotel De Anza - Closest but with no stated rate
    - The Crowne Plaza $149
    -The Saint Clare $145

3. dots

dots Well-Known Member

I just realized there's a payment plan? Oh, front row seats :swoon:

thank you, thank you for the link! :swoon:

4. Sassafras

Sassafras Well-Known Member

I made room reservations this afternoon.

5. dots

dots Well-Known Member

Oh god for a 5-6 day stay it'll be around $900+ , more than an all event ticket for a front row seat :(

6. MountainTime

MountainTime Member

I lived in San Jose for 20 years until retiring. May I recommend a small hotel named the Arena? Its a quick walk to the HP Pavillion, affectionately called the Shark Tank because the San Jose Sharks play there.
    The Arena has lovely grounds, microwaves in the rooms, hot cookies when registering and is quite comfortable. Its also across the street from a fabulous, family owned chocolatier. San Jose is the 3rd largest city in California so hotels are abundant.
    Feel free to email me at sk8photo@hotmail for any questions you may have. I am also a foodie and can direct you to a charming neighborhood called Willow Glen with boutique shops, tree lined streets and the best Italian deli in town. I miss San Jose every day.

7. bohemianrsdy

bohemianrsdy New Member

When and where can we purchase single event tickets?

8. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

Where is the secondary practice rink going to be located? Will there be a FanFest? Are there any events at the convention center? Information is a bit lacking so far....

9. sk9tingfan

Seems like this organizing committee may be having some difficulties getting their act together. They were supposed to be coming out with some significant twitters and emails yesterday afternoon and FOFS from USFSA was also supposed to come out with an email yesterday. Neither happened. They must have hit some significant glitches that has delayed announcements.

10. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

My sis and I are booked at the Hilton. Does anyone happen to know how close it is to the arena?

11. Sassafras

Sassafras Well-Known Member

If you go to the Host Hotel section of the event website, it says .77 miles. You can pull up a map that shows where the hotel is in relation to the arena.

12. sk9tingfan

Deleted

Last edited: Mar 4, 2011
  13. BackOnTheIce

BackOnTheIce New Member

Being a Bay Area Native I agree with Mountain Time. And yes Willow Glen is super charming and fun to roam around. However, the neighborhood that this hotel is in (very close to HP) has a number of nice places to eat and have coffee/drinks as well - it is "The Alameda." I plan on staying at The Arena too.

:lol:

14. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

Actually the price isn't bad for that area..... It's not going to be a cheap trip folks :)

15. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

They announced the host hotels yesterday. At least I got an email about it. :shuffle:

16. ryanbfan

ryanbfan New Member

Is anyone getting conflicting rates for the Hilton San Jose? The Nationals website lists the rate as $159, but my mother works for hotel reservations for Hilton, and we checked the website and the rates start at $219, no matter what days are booked. Help?

17. TanithandBenFan

The Nationals rate is usually a special discounted rate. I actually found a lower rate, though, of $152 by booking through usfsa.org. They have a general discount with Hilton.

18. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

The Nationals website may have a group rate that's cheaper than the actual going rate. I'd actually say $159 is not a bad rate at all.

Keep in mind that while San Jose may be "secondary" in popular prestige to San Francisco, it's still the center of tremendous convention and business activity because it has the biggest cluster of hotels in Silicon Valley. Downtown San Jose is very much a convention-driven town by day, while having a fair bit of nightlife for the locals at night. Hotels are not cheap, and there are also two extremes of hotels: business-class hotels like the Marriott, Hilton, and Hyatt Sainte Claire on the upper-middle end, and rather seedy motels along the Alameda on the lower end.

All the downtown hotels are located in a tight cluster in the middle of downtown, about a 15-20 minute walk from the arena. While the walk to and from the arena/downtown is quiet at night, it's perfectly safe - I've considered buying a high-rise condo in the arena and talked at length with police officers on foot/bike patrol. They all said that crime is negligible in downtown SJ besides bar fights or drug activity isolated within specific bars/nightclubs which never spills out into the open anyway.

If $159/night is too expensive, consider the Hyatt and Hilton hotels in Santa Clara, a 20-30 minute ride (Great America station) on the VTA light rail ($2 each way) from the HP Pavilion. Often you can book there for $99-129/night.

I live just a 5 minute drive from downtown San Jose / HP Pavilion and hang out in downtown San Jose often - I'll post more in the next few months with specific pointers for transport, dining, nightlife, hotels, and getting oriented. :40beers:

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  19. minignome

minignome New Member

Long time SJ resident here, agree with what you have posted, but would add. If you are planning on light rail keep in mind that it runs infrequently after 8pm. If you just miss a train after an evening session you will be waiting up to 30 minutes for the next one. While waiting for the train is safe, it can be annoying if it's raining as the stations are outdoors.

20. inthemiddle

inthemiddle Active Member

21. ryanbfan

ryanbfan New Member

Thank you.

Money is not really a problem. My dad is Diamond VIP with Hilton, so if worst comes to worst, I can use his points. If not that, I'll stick with my Double Tree reservation with my mom's employee rate.

22. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

Twitter is pretty awesome - I had trouble registering as a volunteer (they required that all the shift options be checked to continue, even the "available all shifts" and "not available" together :rofl: ) and tweeted them regarding the problem. A day later the official San Jose 2012 Twitter feed acknowledged my tweet and said they were working on it. :)

My parents are actually in the process of buying a small house less than 5 miles from the arena, so if that goes through, I'll be able to stay for free. :cheer: I'm trying to talk my mom into volunteering too, it would be fun! :cheer: And to invite some FSUers to stay with us as well, but of course that completely depends on if the inspection gets through. :p

23. Aaron W

Aaron W New Member

If you're looking for cheaper hotels, you could stay at the airport hotels. They're all on the light rail line that passes through downtown San Jose and stops about a block or two from the arena (the Mountain View - Winchester line). The main down side, at least from what I've seen on the VTA's website, is that the rail line stops servicing the airport area around 10:30 pm. It does however run until about midnight to the Civic Center stop, which is about 3/4 of a mile from Gish, where many of the airport hotels are located (as well as the next stop: Metro/Airport). Maybe the VTA will extend train service two additional stops during Nationals in order to allow convenient transportation options between the airport hotels & the arena? If not, a 15 minute walk from Civic Center to the hotels near the Gish stop doesn't seem too bad to me.

There's also the possibility, if you'd like to spend a little time in San Francisco, to stay there or anywhere else on the Peninsula, and take Caltrain to/from San Jose. The station is within a block or two of the arena. The current schedule (weekday : weekend) has the final train departing northbound at 10:30 pm (though schedules are always subject to revisions).

One thing I've liked about West Coast events is that they tend to start earlier in the day and finish earlier in the evening in order to allow live prime-time television coverage for the Eastern time zone. I believe it was that way for Vancouver Worlds, Skate Canada in Victoria, and LA Worlds. I'm curious whether that trend will hold true for San Jose?

Last edited: Mar 10, 2011
  24. TanithandBenFan

The only nights TV broadcast live are Saturday for the ladies LP and Sunday for the men's LP, so all the other nights usually still end late. In L.A., the only night I remember getting out early was Saturday for the ladies. I remember falling asleep during the Pairs SP which didn't end till almost midnight! The other nights ended around 11:00 IIRC.

25. ryanbfan

ryanbfan New Member

I almost fell asleep during the Pairs SP at 09 Worlds too!

Then Savchenko/Szolkowy skated last with that crazy music and I was totally awake after that. haha

26. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

Highly recommend Caltrain for visits up to SF, especially since I live near one of the stations and use it often on weekday day trips... but only if you head up/down during rush hour. Caltrain is currently discussing massive cuts which could eliminate all non-rush hour service. It could even shut down altogether. :fragile:

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  27. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

San Diego in January sounds pretty awesome

28. Aaron W

Aaron W New Member

I had read about that sometime in the past couple of weeks, but I read this news today before I posted: Caltrain working on fix to balance budget

Hopefully funding issues will be sorted out, at least through January 2012 (figure skating events are important after all, haha). And hopefully the VTA will extend their late night (after 10:30 pm) service two additional stations to the airport area hotels rather than stopping one station short of the area.

29. minignome

minignome New Member

I wouldn't count on it. They do not run extra VTA service after Sharks games and they are pretty much a guaranteed sell out -- granted more Sharks fans are local so don't necessarily need to get to airport hotels. But, I don't think this is going to be treated as a major enough event to spur our local agencies into action.

30. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

OMG, I just bought tix, lol. I guess I'm going!

I ordered through Mike at the arena, got section 127 (2nd price level) but on the aisle next to section 128. I figure we'll only have to sit in those seats on Saturday, maybe Friday. I like being near the skater's entrance side.

I didn't see practice venue info posted anywhere yet...Mike said it would be at Sharks Ice. He said it's about 10 minutes from the main arena. After being spoiled in Greensboro by practices being in the same building, it will be annoying to have to take a shuttle, but at least it's not far away.

Looking forward to the mild (for Jan) weather. :)