2012 U.S. Club Competition info/links & general discussion

Discussion in 'Kiss And Cry 2014-2015' started by Sylvia, May 28, 2012.

1. Eris

Eris New Member

mgobluegirl, yes, her 2nd triple was 3F. Girls are learning it because it's a required solo jump in the SP this year (for juniors).

2. mgobluegirl

mgobluegirl Well-Known Member

Whoops, I forgot she was still junior internationally. I was thinking of her as a senior. Yes, you are correct.

3. jlai

jlai Title-less

Yes, Ashley tried a lutz and a flip but fell on both. :( She still won the short program with a 45.5. Nina got 42. Maybe downgrade with the 3t?

Given how hurt she looked in the warmup yesterday, I wasn't surprised not to see her today. (And Nina also competed in one segment only last year). So no senior ladies free today.

Yes, as you can see in the video, Nina has a new short and Ashley doesn't (or not yet). It's probably too early to get their new costumes ready. Anyway, Ashley looked real comfortable in that program. I thought that program was a snoozefest in January when I watched it on Icenetwork, but live it was quite cool.

Novice ladies free. Morgan Flood skated in an orange dress to a strange version of Aranjuez. Stepped out of the 3 flip, a nice 3 sal/2t, very slow footwork, 3t/2t/2l (twizzled out of the 3t), fell on 2A, landed 3 sal and 3t. She's mainly a jumper at this point, and the rotation looked okay but could still improve. She won the event. Second went to Caroline Rodriguez, and Emily Chan struggled and therefore dropped to third.

Senior men free. Luke Chilcott skated to Romeo and Juliet. His success with triples was mixed in the warmup, and in the free, he fell on opening lutz, but went on to do a 3 lutz, 3 flip, 3 toe, 3 loop and fell on the ending sal (which I didn't see him practice). This was a better free than what he put out last year at this event, even with the two falls. Luke is a nice skater; I hope he keeps returning to BB Open. :)

4. skfan

skfan Member

thank you jlai for yet more details on the competition. i understand programs/costumes are all in the development stage at this time, but it's fine with me if nina keeps last year's costumes for this year's programs. ^_^

5. just wondering

just wondering Member

Me, too. Stunning dress and it looked exquisite on her.

6. Sylvia

Sylvia Worlds is HERE & NOW!

A belated thank you for your reports from the Bluebonnet Open, jlai, and to Eris for the Senior videos link!

Jason Brown plans to debut his new programs (more info here, posted in GSD) at the Southport Summer Classic club competition in Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin later this week (Senior Men's SP is Thursday 6/14 at 1 pm and the FS is Friday around 1:30 pm) at this rink: http://recplexonline.com/about/location
    If anyone reading this happens to be going and would like to share any impressions and/or obtain results, please post here or you can send me a PM. Thanks! :)

ETA that Scoretracker and Top Ten have been updated with known scores from club competitions through June 3, 2012.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  7. misskarne

misskarne #408

And if anyone going happens to be in possession of a video camera and can stay upright during Jason's Liebestraume, I'd LOVE to see it. ;) :swoon:

8. Sylvia

FYI, Southport Summer Classic is a pretty small club competition and I don't even know if, or how soon, results will be published online afterwards. Jason Brown mentioned he is scheduled to compete at Glacier Falls in early August -- we fans were lucky to have many videos filmed from the stands/uploaded to YouTube last year, so fingers crossed the same will happen again for Glacier Falls this year!

Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
  9. misskarne

misskarne #408

I guessed that once I started poking around the website a bit more and discovered Jason was one of only two Senior men...oh well! I live in hope!

10. mgobluegirl

mgobluegirl Well-Known Member

I'm honestly a bit surprised he's even got someone to skate against. Most club competitions that aren't the major ones (Skate Detroit, Broadmoor, Liberty, Glacier Falls) don't even have a Senior Men event.

11. Sylvia

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  12. YukiNieve

YukiNieve Active Member

Just wondering ...we still do not know who will be competing at Broadmoor Open?

13. Sylvia

The club doesn't publish the entries online so we usually have to wait for the program book to become available at the rink and nice people to take the time to share/type out names. :) I'm trying to compile an unofficial roster -- Tim Dolensky and Tim Koleto are supposed to be debuting Senior short programs, as are Haven Denney/Brandon Frazier. Melissa Bulanhagui tweeted a while back that she had signed up - this would be her first competition officially representing Philippines since PHI Nationals last November.

ETA: For those willing to pay, there will be a live and on-demand Broadmoor Open webcast again this year, and the same company is offering a Skate Detroit live/on-demand webcast for the first time! :cheer: http://www.wheatdesigns.com/web_info.html

Last edited: Jun 16, 2012
  14. YukiNieve

YukiNieve Active Member

Thank you so much, Sylvia!

If I may ask you, is Tim Dolensky in Colorado now for summer training? (sorry it is unrelated to club comp).

15. Sylvia

Yes, Tim Dolensky is in Colorado Springs now (he spent some time there last year before Broadmoor Open as well).

ETA link to a May 2012 Dolensky article in which he talks about his training plans for this summer, including in the Springs: http://www.goldenskate.com/2012/05/dolensky-working-hard-to-continue-windfall/

maureenfarone, I'll start a separate Skate Detroit thread when the official entries are posted online.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2012
  16. YukiNieve

YukiNieve Active Member

Thanks! Wish people do really well in Colorado!!

17. jlai

jlai Title-less

Yes, I got the email notice about Broadmoor Open webcast. If I pay by June 20 I get a discount

18. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

EVC is continuing its wonderful tradition of providing a live, free webcast of the Boston Open competition next week (6/22 - 6/23) :)

19. maureenfarone

maureenfarone Well-Known Member

Thanks Sylvia!

20. misskarne

misskarne #408

Can anyone tell me how come they don't publish the Broadmoor Open's entry list? I mean, it's not a huge problem, it's just...weird. :confused:

21. Sylvia

I don't know why.

Broadmoor Open Senior Men's entries, as passed along to me:
    Combined (SP+FS): Paul Parkinson (ITA), Jono Partridge (GBR), Emmanuel Savary (Withdrawn);
    SP Only: Max Aaron, Timothy Dolensky, Timothy Koleto, Brandon Mroz, Jono Partridge.

Sr Ladies: Angela Wang, McKinzie Daniels, Hannah Miller, Kate Charbonneau (CAN), Morgan Bell...
    Jr Ladies: Barbie Long, Mariah Bell, Polina Edmunds, Avery Kurtz...

Note: There often are withdrawals at these early season competitions.

I'll start a separate Broadmoor Open thread when I receive more entries (hopefully by later today).

Last edited: Jun 20, 2012
  22. misskarne

misskarne #408

Thanks for the info, Sylvia!

*fingers crossed for Josh*

23. Sylvia

Josh Farris isn't competing. I listed all the Senior Men - it's a small field this year.

24. misskarne

misskarne #408

:(

25. Sylvia

It's a busy club competition week/weekend ahead! Here are some of the notables entries in 7 other club competitions across the U.S. in addition to the Broadmoor Open in Colorado Springs, CO.

Boston Open (I can start a separate thread when the live webcast starts?)
    Sr Men: Harrison Choate
    Sr Ladies: Yasmin Siraj, Haley Dunne, Jenelle Herman (FS only)
    Novice Ladies - good field

Chesapeake Open in Laurel, Maryland
    Sr Ladies: Allison Timlen, Elise Eng, Jessica Hu (FS only)
    Jr Ladies: Brianna Laxson
    Sr Dance (Fri./Sat.): Hoptman/Filichenkov, Gamelin/Gamelin, Gabriela Morrell Zucker/Andrejs Sitiks (new), Kseniya Ponomaryova/Oleg Altukhov (new?)
    Jr Dance: McNamara/Carpenter, Parsons/Parsons, Pogrebinsky/Gudis, Miller/MacMillan, Rosinski/Jaffe, Nikolina Pakhamova NA/Brett Mueller SWP (new), Mia Yolles-Middleton SWP/Douglas Stevenson SW (new), Siddon/Weiss (SD only)
    Sr/Jr Dance events are Friday (4:30-6 pm) and Saturday (5:15-6:30 pm).

Southern California Inter-Club Championships in Paramount, Calif.
    Jr Men: Vincent Zhou, Spencer Howe

Central California Inter-Club Association (CCIA) Competition in Dublin, CA
    Karen Chen - Jr Ladies SP only
    Jr Dance: Heritage/Fast

Grand Rapids (Michigan) Open
    Alexe Gilles - Sr Ladies SP only

Summer Chiller in Fort Myers, Florida
    Sr Pairs: Kemp/King GBR, Lawrence/Swiegers CAN, Davis/Ladwig (SP only - their competition debut as a new team), Zhang/Bartholomay, Kayne/O'Shea (new)

Apple Classic in Wenatchee, Washington
    Sr: Chrissy Hughes
    Jr: Jayda Jurome CAN (and many Jr/Nov ladies from the Kelowna Skating Club)

26. Jun Y

Jun Y Well-Known Member

Thanks for the information, Sylvia. Now I need to include the Senior Ladies event at Chesapeake Open in my plan.

27. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Wow, I did not know Chrissy Hughes was still competing. Good for her!

Thanks for the information, Sylvia.

28. icecat

icecat Active Member

Anyone know where I can find entries and info on the Theatre on Ice National championships in Cleveland this weekend?

29. Sylvia

I've edited in some notable ladies' entries for Broadmoor Open in my post #51 above.

I didn't either! Maybe she'll compete at the U.S. Collegiate Championships in August? Danielle Shepard recently returned to competition - I believe she has graduated from a college in New England and may compete at Collegiates.

Schedule link (PDF) is here: http://www.clevelandskating.com/2012TOI

30. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Are these two actually staying junior for another season domestically? Or have they just not tested up yet but plan to in time for Nationals? They are ready to move to the senior level, being 16 and almost 16, having all their triples and doing so well last season, Barbie even medaling at Nationals. I know they are just making their JGP debuts this season but lots of girls skate junior internationally and senior nationally. I'm a bit surprised if they are in fact both staying junior domestically for another season.

And actually even Edmunds, though she's only just 14, I thought would probably make the jump to seniors just as she's already done 2 seasons at the National junior level and done pretty well there both times.