2012 "Skate for Hope" benefit show - June 16 in Columbus, Ohio

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, May 6, 2012.

1. maureenfarone

maureenfarone Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info on Marcy. I'm glad she probably isn't injured :)

I believe in MountainTimes post the amount raised to date by this charity is $400,000. They are hoping to reach $500,000. with next years show.

My friend said it was a wonderful show and there was quite a crowd.

2. Artistic Skaters

Artistic Skaters Drawing Figures

This is such a great show! I have attended for several years now, so at this point I'm watching those little L'Hommedieu girls & the little Coughlin girl grow up. :lol:

Besides being pretty much the only opportunity to see some world class figure skating in central OH, what I like most about it is the basic structure used for the show. It's presented as "planting the seeds of philanthropy" in young skaters & empowering them by providing a worthwhile activity when cancer strikes someone they know. It seems to be a very well organized show based on a good premise, which is one of the reasons we probably see these kids coming back year after year. It is also always nicely presented, but of course I have come to expect the professionally cut music & presentation materials for these types of shows in the land of Abercrombie & Fitch, The Limited & Victoria's Secret.

Highlights for me included the opening number with the headliners as everyone clapped along.

Loved the program by Adam Rippon. Mary Beth Marley & Rockne Brukbaker fit together better this year - she looks more mature. I always look forward to seeing a Jeremy Abbott program; & really enjoyed the combo number to Sway.

I have not seen Ashley Wagner skate live in awhile & her program was quite impressive & lovely. Also thumbs up to the long flowing hairstyle compared to the younger days with those curly ponytails Shirley Hughes used to make all her girls wear.

The performance by Lee Harris was especially lovely and touching. An older man & his wife who came to watch their granddaughter sat next to me & sobbed at the conclusion of it. These people know nothing about skating other than their little skater bunny hopping across the ice, but they were incredibly moved by his program.

Great job!! See you next year Skate for Hope!!

Sylvia and (deleted member) like this.
  3. MountainTime

MountainTime Member

Thank you maureenfarone for catching my mistake. I did mean $400,000 not $400.00. Big difference!

4. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

IIRC, Emily Hughes has been at each Skate for Hope show. :respec: to her for making the time to appear each year, even when she's been at school and now that she's starting a demanding career.

One of the very nice things about this show is how much the guest stars seem to enjoy interacting with the young skaters.

5. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

6. Sit_spin

Sit_spin New Member

I've always loved Emily Hughes. No matter what, she always seems to have a great attitude, and gives back to the community.

In fact, I can say that for Sarah Hughes, too.

7. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

If anyone follows me on Facebook, I finally got some of my pictures from this show posted over there tonight. I'll try to get them posted to a different album to share here but I may not be able to do that until tomorrow or Thursday. It took forever for this batch of pics to upload tonight! :eek:

Still working on the video and that may have to wait as well. Is this week over yet?! It's been crazy for me. :yikes:

8. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

Saw your photos, Heather, through Ashley Wagner's facebook. They are wonderful!

9. B.Cooper

B.Cooper Active Member

IIRC, Emily missed only the first year of the show; Rockne and Rachael have also participated for five years. A true testament to the philanthropic side of these athletes.

10. MountainTime

MountainTime Member

More pictures are up on IceNetwork

11. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

12. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

13. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Thanks for the all the wonderful reports, pics, and videos! :D

14. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

15. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

Thanks Heather for uploading and sharing. Jeremy's fluidity of movement, musical interpretation, and tricky entrances and exits into and out of his technical elements are all nothing short of amazing. He's incredible and so cute! :swoon::encore:

16. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Last edited: Jul 6, 2012