2012 "Skate for Hope" benefit show - June 16 in Columbus, Ohio

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, May 6, 2012.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

2. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

I've been in the past and it's always a great show for a wonderful cause. The show is a nice mix of headliners and skaters of all ranges. If anyone can make it, I'd highly recommend the show!
  3. Sylvia

4. Rochelle

Rochelle New Member

Thank you for sharing notice about the Groupon -- I have several skating friends who live within a 3 hours drive of Columbus, so I can help spread the word on social media as well.

It's a great deal, for a great show, for a good cause. I've attended two years in the past, and will be taking my mother (Mother's Day gift) again this year. There's a nice mix of the headliner solos, group numbers for lower level local skaters and adults, and nice tributes to skater's relatives that have survived cancer.
  5. Tony Wheeler

Tony Wheeler Well-Known Member

Yikes. It's sad to see that the prices have dropped this low for a show in my current city. However, I think one of the major problems that it has had for at least the last two years and yet again this year is that it takes place the exact same day as Columbus Pride. The Parade is only a few hours before the show, and the whole weekend has turned out to be one of the bigger LGBT festivals in the midwest (Columbus got voted as the top up and coming gay city by the Advocate or some other magazine just last year IIRC). It attracts people from all over the place, and the festivities start bright and early. This also is the starting weekend for several big events in Columbus throughout summer (Comfest the following weekend, Doo Dah and Red White & Boom a few weeks later, etc.)

If I were Skate for Hope, I'd try to get the event a weekend before Pride. I attended in 2010, and even with Johnny Weir as the headliner, it wasn't a very crowded arena.
  6. Sylvia

Bumping up for the show this Saturday... hoping there will be reports, photos and/or videos! :)
  7. Rochelle

Rochelle New Member

Is anyone else attending?

Anyone?

If not, I can give a basic report back on the overall performances. I don't do pictures and videos, since I like to... you know... actually watch the skating as it's happening live before me. But if someone else from here is attending and planning on giving a report, I'll gladly pass. ;)
  8. Artistic Skaters

Artistic Skaters Drawing Figures

I'm going! First, drag queens at the Pride parade (oh so pretty!), then lunch at the Clever Crow in the North Market (good pizza approved by Anthony Bourdain). A couple handcrafted brews & it's showtime! Such a fun day. :lol:
  9. mgobluegirl

mgobluegirl Well-Known Member

I'd like to go maybe, but I don't have anyone to go with. FSU meet-up, anyone?
  10. leapfrogonice

leapfrogonice Active Member

I'm not sure I see why coincident scheduling of this event with the Pride weekend would be problematic. :confused:
  11. maureenfarone

maureenfarone Active Member

I'm not in Columbus, but my guess is that streets/roads will be blocked off to allow for the parade to pass which will make getting to the Nationwide Arena more difficult. I also heard from a friend that a parking garage is being built near the Arena which has reduced the parking spaces available due to construction. Since more people will probably be parking in the area to attend the parade (to participate or watch), that could impact available parking for the skating event. Just a guess on my part!
  12. Sylvia

Good for Rachael! http://www.daytondailynews.com/blog...012/06/13/skate_for_hope_at_hobart_arena.html
    Enjoy the show Rochelle & Artistic Skaters (and HeatherC, too)! mgobluegirl, I hope you decide to go as well!
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
  13. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

Well, since the organizer is doing her best to save money and not spend it, I suspect that the date of SFH was the cheapest date she could get the arena. And that may be because the Parade is the same day. Just a guess, but I do know she's good at making sure to keep expenses down.
  14. Rochelle

Rochelle New Member

A Columbus Dispatch article:
    http://www.dispatch.com/content/sto...-takes-to-ice-to-honor-mom-at-fundraiser.html

15. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

How sweet of Rachael to do the seminar and to respond to a young fan like that. I can't make it this year, but I'd encourage anyone who can to attend.

It's great to see the elite skaters, but the performances from groups of younger skaters and adult skaters are wonderful too. The whole show has a really great atmosphere and it's nice to see the guest skaters interact with all the other skaters as well. Everyone just seems to be having such a great time. The " single ladies" number last year was especially fun.

And last year all the skaters stayed for a long time after the show signing autographs and taking pictures which was very sweet of them as well.
  16. Artistic Skaters

There is always plenty of parking available in downtown Columbus on the weekends. There are large lots to the west of Nationwide Arena & parking garages to the south. Mainly the High St area is blocked off during the parade which starts at 12:00, so it will be over long before the skating show; and the actual festival is farther north at Goodale Park.

There are always many events going on in this area because of the arena, convention center, Short North, etc. Short term parking in Short North can be a problem, but there are plenty of spaces south of that area.

I love the Pride parade with the corporate sponsored floats with their employees marching & all the church groups from all over the state. I'm glad they have it the same weekend as the skating show. The show organizers could probably come up with a way to sell more tickets to the Pride attendees with a little better advertising.

Come to the show out-of-towners!
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
  17. Meredith

Meredith what a glorious day!

I live near and work in Columbus and totally agree with the Artistic Skaters. A lot of planning went into providing ample parking near Nationwide arena. If you can't find space in a local lot, you should easily find in a parking garage. It's a great venue.

For out-of-towners, there are a lot of restaurant choices in the surrounding blocks. The weather is lovely, and the area is safe.

Have a wonderful time! I'll be at the beach :cool: in South Carolina or I would so be there.
  18. Sylvia

19. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I can't wait to hear reports from this show. I'm particularly interested in the debut of Yankowskas/Reagan (I think it's their debut, right?)
  20. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

I guess I'm the first person to chime in with a report and I'll do my best without having the program right near me, LOL ;)

I thought the show was fantastic and overall the headliners and lower level skaters all looked like they were having a blast. There were a couple of cute group numbers to some of the more popular music out right now (my fave was the group number to "Starships" which was really good and another group did a cute number to "That's What Makes You Beautiful") and a few other numbers that were for specific things. A few skaters got to give flowers to special guests which was really sweet. At one point during that, I noticed that someone in the front row across from us had a laptop on and there was a face moving around on the screen. Mom and I think it was this one group of sisters' father who wasn't able to make the show so they skyped him in so he could see his girls skate. I'm not 100% sure but it looked like he might be in the armed forces and stationed away from Ohio. If anyone can shed light on that I'd love to hear about it. It was really sweet to see them all crowded around the computer waving at him! :)

As far as headliners, I thought Emily Hughes looked pretty good overall for probably not skating much lately. I enjoyed Alexe Gilles' program although she had a fall on a 3T (I think...it was at the other end of the rink and I missed the takeoff) and her number also had a live performer (her non skating sister who did a fantastic job). Piper and Paul did what I think was a shortened version of their FD from last year (it was mainly to "Pure Imagination" with one other song mixed in) and I really enjoyed them. I hadn't seen them perform live yet and was quite impressed. I look forward to seeing what they come up with for next season. Adam Rippon skated his Rach exhibition program with a perfect Rippon Lutz and a couple of other nice jumps (LOVE that program). :swoon: Rachel Flatt skated an upbeat exhibition which was a lot of fun although she also had a random fall on a triple (again at the other end of the rink, LOL). Caitlin and Josh looked pretty good together for not having performed anywhere before tonight. I'm not certain but their program could have been a modified version of what their SP will be this year (the element layout sure felt very SP-ish to me) but I can't remember the music choice. They did a nice throw, side by side 3T (Caitlin fell but the rink was smaller for this show and I think she rushed it), gorgeous death spiral, a pairs spin, and a few fun dancey type lifts throughout. I thought they looked great together although Josh sure looked a bit nervous! :p I spoke to Caitlin after the show for a bit and she confirmed that they were doing Skate Detroit later this summer but wasn't sure about the Indy Challenge yet. Anyone going to Detroit, make a note that Caitlin & Josh should be there! ;) Ashley Wagner looked every bit the champion in her program (she did her "Your Song" program that she skated during CSOI this past spring) and didn't miss anything. Loved seeing that program again and she looked like she was having a blast. Jeremy Abbott skated his "I Won't Give Up" program (again from CSOI) and since I knew I probably wouldn't get many good pictures of Jeremy during the program (he's almost as bad as Jeff Buttle with trying to get pictures because he never really stops moving, LOL ;)), I videotaped his program which I'll upload to You Tube sometime tomorrow. He skated very well although he had a random fall which was ALSO at the other end of the rink. I think that part of the rink was cursed for a few skaters, LOL :lol: Caitlin & Josh and Piper & Paul did a very cute little group type number to "Sway" in the second act which was very enjoyable (apparently they worked on it together in Michigan before they came here this weekend). Alexe, Rachel, Emily S., and Emily H all did a cute group number together but they forgot to put some lights on during the first part of it and Emily S. probably freaked out a bit since she was totally in the dark at one point! :eek: Mary Beth and Rockne skated a very cute number and look a lot more like a team now that they've had even more time together. I think their music was a Louis Armstrong medley. Lee Harris, a former US pair competitor, skated a really moving number in honor of his mom (a breast cancer survivor) and Caitlin skated with him for a little bit of it. It was really sweet. :) One odd thing: Emily S. and Todd did NOT skate a solo spot in the show but appeared together in both the opening and finale (and were listed in the program to do a solo spot). I have no idea what's going on there but mom and I found that very odd. I spoke to her after the show too and nothing seemed odd but I didn't feel right asking her too much so I'm still at a loss. They seemed to be on good terms (saw them laughing and talking during the post show stuff) so there's this year's mystery I guess.

We waited around for a bit after the show and I was able to get pictures with Ashley, Jeremy, Adam, Emily S., Piper & Paul, and Caitlin. I congratulated Ashley on both her US title and her 4CC title and said we enjoyed being there to see them both in person. She thought that was very cool. :) I mentioned to Jeremy that I've actually been to all of the US Nats where he's won the gold medal and he thought that was awesome. Then as he skated away he was like, "So you're also coming to Sochi then, right?!" and we all cracked up laughing. I joked that I would do my best to be there ;) so if anyone wants to donate to my new "Heather Needs to Go to Sochi for Jeremy" fund, please contact me via PM anytime in the near future, LOL :rofl: :cheer:

I got some great pictures from the show but I'll upload those tomorrow. I'm too tired to go through everything tonight. Hope everyone else who was able to go had a great time too! :)
  21. carriecmu0503

carriecmu0503 New Member

One odd thing: Emily S. and Todd did NOT skate a solo spot in the show but appeared together in both the opening and finale (and were listed in the program to do a solo spot). I have no idea what's going on there but mom and I found that very odd. I spoke to her after the show too and nothing seemed odd but I didn't feel right asking her too much so I'm still at a loss. They seemed to be on good terms (saw them laughing and talking during the post show stuff) so there's this year's mystery I guess.

Unfortunately, Emily and Todd have chosen not to continue their partnership.
  22. Sylvia

I decided to quote Heather's entire post to thank her for taking the time to share her impressions while they were so fresh in her mind last night. :respec: Do you recall what style of music Yankowskas/Reagan used? Classical or not?

:( That's the assumption that was made in the US Ice Dance splits thread when it was noticed their names had been removed from the U.S. team envelope and ISP at the beginning of June. There's been no public statement by either Samuelson or Gilles so far, which is why people have been wondering. I think it's great they both honored their commitment to participate in Skate for Hope and wish them both well in whatever comes next for them.
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2012
  23. maureenfarone

A friend attended and asked me about Marcy Hinzman Harris. Last year she skated with her husband Lee Harris and they were quite a hit with the crowd. This year he came on his own and used Caitlin Y. for his program.

Anyone know why Marcy wasn't in the show?
  24. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Didn't Marcy just have a baby? (Or am I confusing her with the various US female pairs skaters who've recently given birth?)
  25. mgobluegirl

mgobluegirl Well-Known Member

I'm not sure, but I was recently at a freestyle session at the Chiller in Columbus, and both she and Lee were there coaching, so she's definitely around.
  26. just wondering

just wondering Member

Valerie Marcoux from Canada is in Ohio. According to all the Facebook pics, she recently had a baby. Maybe that's who you're thinking of.
  27. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Thanks Heather. Wonderful report and I'm really sorry I missed the show this year. The performers always seem to have a great time.

And I love the location of Nationwide arena and all the restaurants in the area. I keep wishing they'd have a Skate America there.
  28. YukiNieve

YukiNieve Active Member

29. MountainTime

MountainTime New Member

In response to Heather and the Skyping laptop, a skater was live for her friend battling leukemia and he could not attend the show.
    Mary Beth and Rocke have improved their twist with more height and the smaller details are falling into place. Cait and Josh sizzle. The eye contact and chemistry for a young team was surprising. Her back arch is divine in her lifts.
    Lee Harris' mom was completely unaware her son was skating to her favorite song and had recently shaved her head because the chemo was killing her hair. I admired her strength by attending the show without a scarf so others could feel her her determination to fight cancer publically. The number he skated with Cait was choreographed that morning and they had only one full run through. Such professionals to make it appear seamless.
    Dr Flynn a local oncologist opened the show remarkable numbers about the improvements in treatments. 1979 Nixon declared the war on cancer. 1991 was the 1st year cancer deaths declined. In 1979 there was one drug for breast cancer and now there are nineteen.
    The flower ceremony acknowledges the skaters survivor in the audience by presenting a pink rose. The skaters must raise minimally $500.00 to skate in the show. One family had all four daughters from a four year old to perhaps a twelve years old.
    The Meet and Greet before the show is relaxed and the skaters chat with every single child who is skating then sign autographs and take pictures. One youngster screamed, "Rachael Flatt" and literally jumped up and down she was so excited.
    There was a number with Rockne and a major sponsor nicely choreographed and Rockne carried her off the ice in her arms. He made her feel like a princess.
    I recall there were over 100 skaters in the show. The headliners talent gave me goosebumps several times not only because of their artistry and grace but the interaction they displayed towards the youngsters. Paul Porier twirled a little munchkin of a girl and after the show when autographs were being signed on the ice, Emily Hughes picked up the founders daughter and swept her into the air.
    Speaking of Emily, a neighbor of hers in NY gave the largest donation ever in a single year to Skate for Hope in her honor. The neighbor wanted to donate to a charity and Emily recommended SFH. I applaud both of their generosity.
    Skate for Hope was created because the founder Carolyn Bongorno was diagnosed at the age of thirty two years old. When her students at the rink approached her with questions because they were afraid Carolyn realized a charity involving kids needed to be formed so the kids wouldn't feel as powerless. Nine years later she's in a larger venue with American and Canadian elite skaters who ask to participate for her cause.
    Shelby Gilles, yes that Gilles family was a strong vocalist. She's multi gifted having won the state championships in tennis this year. Jenny Alou, from American Idol also sang a number. She's from Columbus and received a warm reception.
    Jeremy pinned a pink satin ribbon to his black shirt and the simplicity of his costume with the pink icon of breast cancer was another emotional moment in the show.
    I encourage anyone looking for a charity to support, please go to www.skateforhope.org and you can contribute online. Carolyn Bongirno and her diligent team have raised over $400.00 towards research. Every penny is acccounted for. Gifts for the skaters are donated from Vera Bradley, Cache, Macy's and other sponsors like the Red Roof Inn who supply the hotel rooms so the proceeds of the show can go directly to research.
    This was far and away the best SFH in all the years I have been attending. The comradary between the elite skaters and the beacons of inspiration they demonstrated to the skater participants will pay forward to finding a cure for this horrible illness.
    Sylvia and (deleted member) like this.
  30. nashvilledancer

nashvilledancer New Member

A blog post by a fan who really captures how wonderful this show was:
    http://iamtheporpoise.tumblr.com/post/25329858942/ok-penguin-has-sadly-left-and-i-no-longer-feel

The post reminded me about all the charming interactions between the little skaters and the headliners, how great they were with the kids.

I really enjoyed the adult skaters (some good skills in there) and the college-age synchro team and was blown away by Lee Harris' heartfelt tribute to his mom (fantastic, elegant skater). Paul Poirier is amazing, that's all. The Rach exhibition of Adam's--superb and so well skated. Ashley keeps showing herself a true champion and coming on as an artist. Jeremy, well, as the poster comments, there really are no words for his brilliance in this self-choreographed number.

I was with a grad school buddy, a professor at Ohio State. We had the good fortune to sit in the front row after intermission. In the middle of one of the group numbers, my friend was quite surprised to see a student from her Developmental Psychology class skate by, a foot away from us.
  31. maureenfarone

Thanks for the info on Marcy. I'm glad she probably isn't injured :)

I believe in MountainTimes post the amount raised to date by this charity is $400,000. They are hoping to reach $500,000. with next years show.

My friend said it was a wonderful show and there was quite a crowd.
  32. Artistic Skaters

This is such a great show! I have attended for several years now, so at this point I'm watching those little L'Hommedieu girls & the little Coughlin girl grow up. :lol:

Besides being pretty much the only opportunity to see some world class figure skating in central OH, what I like most about it is the basic structure used for the show. It's presented as "planting the seeds of philanthropy" in young skaters & empowering them by providing a worthwhile activity when cancer strikes someone they know. It seems to be a very well organized show based on a good premise, which is one of the reasons we probably see these kids coming back year after year. It is also always nicely presented, but of course I have come to expect the professionally cut music & presentation materials for these types of shows in the land of Abercrombie & Fitch, The Limited & Victoria's Secret.

Highlights for me included the opening number with the headliners as everyone clapped along.

Loved the program by Adam Rippon. Mary Beth Marley & Rockne Brukbaker fit together better this year - she looks more mature. I always look forward to seeing a Jeremy Abbott program; & really enjoyed the combo number to Sway.

I have not seen Ashley Wagner skate live in awhile & her program was quite impressive & lovely. Also thumbs up to the long flowing hairstyle compared to the younger days with those curly ponytails Shirley Hughes used to make all her girls wear.

The performance by Lee Harris was especially lovely and touching. An older man & his wife who came to watch their granddaughter sat next to me & sobbed at the conclusion of it. These people know nothing about skating other than their little skater bunny hopping across the ice, but they were incredibly moved by his program.

Great job!! See you next year Skate for Hope!!
    Sylvia and (deleted member) like this.
  33. MountainTime

MountainTime New Member

Thank you maureenfarone for catching my mistake. I did mean $400,000 not $400.00. Big difference!
  34. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

IIRC, Emily Hughes has been at each Skate for Hope show. :respec: to her for making the time to appear each year, even when she's been at school and now that she's starting a demanding career.

One of the very nice things about this show is how much the guest stars seem to enjoy interacting with the young skaters.
  35. Sylvia

36. Sit_spin

Sit_spin New Member

I've always loved Emily Hughes. No matter what, she always seems to have a great attitude, and gives back to the community.

In fact, I can say that for Sarah Hughes, too.
  37. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

If anyone follows me on Facebook, I finally got some of my pictures from this show posted over there tonight. I'll try to get them posted to a different album to share here but I may not be able to do that until tomorrow or Thursday. It took forever for this batch of pics to upload tonight! :eek:

Still working on the video and that may have to wait as well. Is this week over yet?! It's been crazy for me. :yikes:
  38. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

Saw your photos, Heather, through Ashley Wagner's facebook. They are wonderful!
  39. B.Cooper

B.Cooper New Member

IIRC, Emily missed only the first year of the show; Rockne and Rachael have also participated for five years. A true testament to the philanthropic side of these athletes.
  40. MountainTime

MountainTime New Member

More pictures are up on IceNetwork