2012 Short Dance

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Allen, May 1, 2011.

1. L'amour

L'amour New Member

forget about him :blah:....I should have said juts Madison, cuz that was what i was thinking.

2. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

Right? I honestly just took him as a gay character in the Cabaret program.

3. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Well, I think that was the idea. ;)

4. skatingfan04

skatingfan04 Active Member

This is going to be so good.:D I've always felt that a truly great dance team should be able to show realistic, convincing chemistry on the ice. I think that forcing this theme on the couples will really showcase who can do this and who can't. I feel for the brother/sister teams, though. There is no possible way for siblings doing these latin dances to pull them off...I fear they will either be passionless or disturbing.:( I'm honestly so intrigued by the idea of a non touching circular step sequence. That will probably look really good if done correctly and cleanly.

5. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

Right? That's why I'm so scared for the Shibs. This was an unbelievable year for them, and it would suck to see them fall behind because, well, they're human. :shuffle:

6. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

LOL, and bring back the CD. Because when you see the perfection of those CD back in the 80's and the mediocre CD of the 2000's, you understand that Compulsories are not easy to do well. This is about perfection of the blades and the body positions. JMO. ;)

7. MarieM

MarieM Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover

But those junior skaters never DID learn the true meaning of the CDs. And when your idiot coach tells you they're not worth anything, why would you even TRY to perfect them ?

CDs are dead. Let them die at least and stop using them in that awful SD.

8. akkto

akkto New Member

The good thing is that Rhumba pattern is shorter in time than Golden´s. So we´ll get to see more creative part in the short programes of next season

9. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I think that SD is a perfect, perfect solution.

CDs are kept, skated to more interesting music and integrated into a program. :)

To quote my friend (name withheld because I don't know whether they'd like their bitching to be public :D): "The Shibs have no range. Sweet and cute is all they can do. Remember their tango fail last year?" :p

10. alilou

alilou Crazy Stalker Lady

Jesus Ziggy! They're 16 and 19 and it's their 1st yr in seniors! Of course they have no range. Doesn't mean they won't get it, but you've written them off already :p

11. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

Last year was difficult for the Shibs. Alex grew like a weed but Maia didn't and they looked awkward as can be out there. Fortunately, she grew last summer and voila, they look like an ice dance team again.

No range? Like alilou said, give them time here, certainly doesn't mean they won't get it. They are both stars, imo, and I can't wait to see what they come up with next. They are just going to have to work through the sibling thing, though. The Kerrs did it, so can they.

12. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Ilynikh/Katsalapov are at a very similar age to them, yet on a completely different level of maturity of expression.

And since Shibs are coached by S&Z, yeah I've written them off. No chance of them skating decently choreographed programs, ever. ;)

13. casken

casken Well-Known Member

I like the SD, but I'd almost rather they kept the CDs, but let the couples choose the music. I usually hate the GW becuase it takes so long to perform and the traditional music selections make me want to puke after a while, but I got quite a kick out of seeing the GW done to different pieces of music, even the hated "Fallin'" cover.

Right now I think the SD is too packed with elements for there to be much of an actual dance. At worlds, there really wasn't much to choose from when determining the CH and TR marks.

Last edited: May 6, 2011
  14. Autumn_girl

Autumn_girl Active Member

Well, I don't see a big problem in it actually. I mean most V/M programs were in the same sweet young love style (don't get me wrong, I like V/M) and it didn't hurt them. The same with Shibs, Zueva will make another "we are sweet, cute and smiling" programs for them and they'll get their sky high PCS, especially now, when they are Worlds medalists.
    I do see I/K beating them though, but I/K should clean their elements first and not to make silly mistakes on competitions, maybe work more. I think a lot depends on it