2012 Short Dance

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Allen, May 1, 2011.

1. Allen

Allen Well-Known Member

I am interested to see what everyone thinks about next year's short dance. Here are the rules for next season.

Here is a video of the Rhumba compulsory dance with Jean Senft explaining the dance.

Here is a video of the Cha Cha Congelado which the junior teams will use.

I wasn't excited at first, but I think it will actually be fun, minus all the brother sister teams doing the rhumba.
    Last edited: May 2, 2011
  2. love skating

love skating Clueless American

I'm most interested in seeing the no touching circular step sequence. Sounds interesting. Not to mention the crazy costumes we'll probably get to see.
  3. plushenkofan

plushenkofan New Member

Bring on the skimpy neon Latin costumes :D
  4. literaryfreak

literaryfreak Well-Known Member

I'm still waiting for my Yankee Polka SD. :wuzrobbed

But in seriousness, I'm so intrigued by this non-touching circular step sequence.
  5. Lilith11

Lilith11 New Member

ITA w/the second half. Really be a test for the unison of the senior teams :3
  6. casken

casken Well-Known Member

Me too. I want to see a serpentine non touch sequence too.

That could be interesting too, but I see most teams just doing the sequences together.
    Last edited: May 2, 2011
  7. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I'm wondering what modern music fits the rhumba tempo. Any ideas?
  8. Capella

Capella Guest

But the ice dance rhumba is not is sexy like the dancefloor one. It's much more perky. I don't think they'll be the ick factor.
  9. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

Are u kiddin' me? Slutty Latin costumes!!! Bring it on!!! :cheer2:

:p
  10. Allen

Allen Well-Known Member

I think I'm still traumatized by Chris Reed kissing Cathy's arms yesterday. Kieffer Hubble retired and that was the team I was really worried about.

I think the circular no touching step sequence is going to be fab. I also agree that a serpentine would be great.

I think the compulsory pattern itself is really boring. I like the Golden Waltz because it is obviously very challenging. I think Silver Samba would have been more interesting.
  11. SamuraiK

SamuraiK Well-Known Member

Thanks for the links, may I say the Rhumba seems totally simple and flat and will feel like a waste of time in the middle of the SD? not to mention the pattern hardly has any latin vibe.. dissapointed.

Im really curious about the circular non touching sequence. I remember Castile & Okolski doing a very cute one for pairs in their SP of the 2007-2008 season but I cant find any links on youtube :(
  12. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

I wanna see what Elena and Nikita can do :smokin:
  13. casken

casken Well-Known Member

14. Jenya

Jenya Well-Known Member

The Rhumba looks easy but it's difficult to do well. I definitely don't think it's as difficult as the Golden Waltz, but it's not easy - there are certainly still sections that will challenge a lot of teams.

I like the choice of a Latin theme, and seeing a circular non-touching step sequence should be interesting.
  15. aster

aster Member

The Samba is easier than the Rhumba, not that the Rhumba is particularly difficult at that level (especially compared to the Golden!)

I'm with literaryfreak on the Yankee Polka SD, though. That would be great!
  16. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

My favourite rumba track is Jose Feliciano's "Light my Fire", I know it's not too modern but there are a few out there. African Tango by Adeimus (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLc-FyK5BrI) is stunning, I also saw an amazing one to Tracy Chapmans "Fast Car" but don't think it would transfer to ice very well.
  17. zebobes

zebobes Active Member

The Rhumba looks so boring. How can it feel like a Rhumba if you're skating side by side the ENTIRE time?
  18. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

V/M will already have a head start on everyone else having a latin FD this year. I hope they use parts of it as it was too good to just see once.
  19. Allen

Allen Well-Known Member

I think the Yankee Polka would be amazing. I think the Finnstep would also make a really good pattern for a SD (other rhythms could be foxtrot, charleston, jitterbug, etc)

Yes, the Samba might be a little easier, but I like it better somehow.
  20. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

The Rhumba is not simple (and there's no easy compulsory at that level). It's all about edges, rhythm. The double choctaw is very difficult, because the upper body mustn't move, the edge is deep and the free leg must be tight.
    The thing is that there are not many steps. So, I agree with you, I'm afraid it will be difficult to include it in a SD with so many other steps to do beside the compulsory part !
  21. aster

aster Member

What other rhythms could you bring in with the Yankee? I don't know what else goes with polkas, though there are obviously lots of different kinds of polkas (just listen to variety in the ISU music for that dance!)

I actually think those two will eventually be used (hopefully sooner rather than later). Since they seem to want to match dance styles for junior and senior (and should, since a rare team competes both), the ISU is pretty much stuck with tango (Argentine/Tango Romantica), waltz (Viennese, Golden, Starlight, Austrian, Ravensburger, Westminster), Latin (Samba, CCC, Rhumba), polka (Killian/Yankee), quickstep (Quickstep/Finnstep), and blues (Blues/Midnight). I hope they actually cycle through those and don't just do waltz every third year just because there are so many of them.
  22. Allen

Allen Well-Known Member

I really like Tango Romantica, so I'm okay with that one, but I hope they just limit that one to tango all the way through the program. I like the Golden Waltz by itself, but all of the Wangos and sappy contemporary Waltzes are getting really annoying to me. I think I really loved about 4 SDs this year and that was Z/G, R/T, I/K, and K/G-S. The Shibutanis was almost to the love level, but I felt like it needed a little mroe power behind it. I actually kind the Amelia part of P/Bs SD more than the Dr. Zhivago program.

I think Finnstep is going to be really fun. I actually hope the ISU will develop a few new compulsory patterns. Torville and Dean's paso would be a great one. K/O's Jive could be modified into a compulsory pattern.
  23. Tammi

Tammi Well-Known Member

That's a really good question. Most rhumba music fits into the ballroom style, but it seems way too slow to fit the specs for an ice dance rhumba. Teams can probably select rhumba music as one of their cuts, but I don't think they could skate the pattern using it.

I don't have much of a musical ear, but from the beat requirements, "the range of tempo is 43 to 45 measures of four beats per minute (172-180 beats per minute)", would samba or cha cha music fit better for the pattern?
  24. plushenkofan

plushenkofan New Member

Music I think fits the rhumba would be
    -La Bamba (Ritchie Valens or Los Lobos' versions)
    -Sex and the City theme
    -Low Rider by War
  25. semogal

semogal Well-Known Member

All I can say is bring back the OD!
  26. Athena

Athena New Member

Yay! I heart latin theme! There're so many great SDs from the past season, can't wait to see what will be brought to the table next year.
  27. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

V/M aren't going to keep their latest FD, are they? If so, they'll be doing "ballroom latin" for both the short & free dances. Even though I love 'Mujer Latina.'
  28. MarieM

MarieM Well-Known Member

Latin. Pfff. I already envision all those junior skaters trying to be smoking hot and so.
    How I miss the old days.

Plus except the rhumba that I like quite a lot when done à la T&D, all the other dances are NOT made for ice dance at all.
  29. L'amour

L'amour New Member

uhrrr latin dances on ice are juts so tacky (most of them) :scream: some team can have some kind of advatage like Ekena and Nikita, Madison and Greg, Tessa and Scot and some others but on the other hand...I don't know what Shins are going to do, they will have to creat a SD by other kind of perspective and not the sensual, sexy side of the dance. I can see Meryl and Charlie going for the same thing.
  30. casken

casken Well-Known Member

:confused: Chock and Zuerlin might as well be brother and sister with their "chemistry".
  31. L'amour

L'amour New Member

forget about him :blah:....I should have said juts Madison, cuz that was what i was thinking.
  32. Allen

Allen Well-Known Member

Right? I honestly just took him as a gay character in the Cabaret program.
  33. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Well, I think that was the idea. ;)
  34. skatingfan04

skatingfan04 Active Member

This is going to be so good.:D I've always felt that a truly great dance team should be able to show realistic, convincing chemistry on the ice. I think that forcing this theme on the couples will really showcase who can do this and who can't. I feel for the brother/sister teams, though. There is no possible way for siblings doing these latin dances to pull them off...I fear they will either be passionless or disturbing.:( I'm honestly so intrigued by the idea of a non touching circular step sequence. That will probably look really good if done correctly and cleanly.
  35. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

Right? That's why I'm so scared for the Shibs. This was an unbelievable year for them, and it would suck to see them fall behind because, well, they're human. :shuffle:
  36. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

LOL, and bring back the CD. Because when you see the perfection of those CD back in the 80's and the mediocre CD of the 2000's, you understand that Compulsories are not easy to do well. This is about perfection of the blades and the body positions. JMO. ;)
  37. MarieM

MarieM Well-Known Member

But those junior skaters never DID learn the true meaning of the CDs. And when your idiot coach tells you they're not worth anything, why would you even TRY to perfect them ?

CDs are dead. Let them die at least and stop using them in that awful SD.
  38. akkto

akkto New Member

The good thing is that Rhumba pattern is shorter in time than Golden´s. So we´ll get to see more creative part in the short programes of next season
  39. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I think that SD is a perfect, perfect solution.

CDs are kept, skated to more interesting music and integrated into a program. :)

To quote my friend (name withheld because I don't know whether they'd like their bitching to be public :D): "The Shibs have no range. Sweet and cute is all they can do. Remember their tango fail last year?" :p
  40. alilou

alilou Crazy Stalker Lady

Jesus Ziggy! They're 16 and 19 and it's their 1st yr in seniors! Of course they have no range. Doesn't mean they won't get it, but you've written them off already :p