2012 Michael Weiss Foundation "Ice Champions Live!" Show ~ Sept. 8 in Arlington, VA

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Jun 7, 2012.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

This year's show will be held again at Kettler Capitals Iceplex in Arlington, Virginia - date/time is Saturday, September 8, 2012 at 4 pm, with a Silent Auction at 3 pm.

http://www.michaelweiss.org/index.html
    Seating chart: http://www.michaelweiss.org/chart.htm

To purchase tickets: http://www.ticketweb.com/t3/sale/SaleEventDetail?dispatch=loadSelectionData&eventId=4611885
  2. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Cool. Glad it is earlier this year. Hope I can make it again & get some shots.
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2012
  3. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Goody! I ended up missing it last year -- this year I'm SO there!
  4. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

We just ordered our tickets! Hope to see you there (love meeting up with other board members).
  5. Sylvia

@MichaelWeiss2 tweeted yesterday:
    "Come support Ice Champions LIVE! and my Foundation please...VIP tickets ON SALE now!"
  6. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Like last year, I might wait until more skaters are confirmed (and my schedule becomes clearer) before committing.
  7. Pretty Vegas

Pretty Vegas Well-Known Member

I went last year and will definitely be going again this year! :)
  8. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Nagasu has just been added

I've decided to bite the bullet and order a ticket.
  9. Sylvia

As of today:
  10. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Hmm, most were there last year as well. Nagasu and Marley/Brubaker are really the only notable additions IMO.
  11. MissIzzy

MissIzzy New Member

And now Marley & Brubaker are gone.:( And when I bought tickets just this morning too, having originally thought I wouldn't be able to make it this year.
  12. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Yeah- I was just wondering. Are they still going to do this show or is the split effective "immediately"?
  13. RD

RD Well-Known Member

EDIT 8/19: M/B have been removed from the list of confirmed participants, so that's that.
  14. Sylvia

15. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Just two days to go. I cannot wait to see this, especially Ashley's new program (SP or LP).
  16. Sylvia

Ashley tweeted that she will be debuting her new SP (The Red Violin).
  17. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

John Kerr is going to be skating solo as Sinead isn't there. Should be fun!
  18. Wyliefan

Just got back! And a great time was had by all. Will report fully later, but I have a couple of things I have to take care of first. Unfortunately, I didn't get any good pictures except a couple of the bows at the end. And I missed running into any FSUers, though I tried to find some. :( Sorry, guys.
  19. Wyliefan

The view was pretty terrible, as it often is at this venue. Next year I think I'll just spring for on-ice seats. But I did get to be by the "bullpen" again, which I love. Half the fun at these things is watching the skaters mill around down there. Saw some cute stuff, like Ricky and Mirai striking a dance pose or two for someone's camera (I hope that one shows up online), and the skaters making a "tunnel" for Michael Weiss when he went out to do his encore.

Anyway, the on-ice action! I'm afraid I couldn't identify a lot of the music (and it didn't help that the sound system sucked). But I'll give you what I can. And I apologize in advance for not being able to identify jumps very well.

Elise Romolea -- young local skater. Very cute and perky.

Luca & Gigi Becker -- intermediate dance champions. Skated to something bossa-nova-ish.

Next Ice Age -- skated to some instrumental piece I didn't know.

Dan Hollander -- did a Popeye routine, complete with big foam "muscles." Very cute.

Michael & Rachel Parsons -- local ice dancers. Didn't get their music either, but it was a nice routine.

Richard Dornbush -- did his "nerd" exhibition, complete with enormous cowlick. Lots of fun, but looked like he was overrotating some of the jumps. I devoutly hope that's not a new habit he's picked up! No falls or pops, though, just a stumble here and there. And for the finale, when every skater got a chance to do a move or two, he whipped off his nerd glasses and did a beautiful Tano lutz.

Mirai Nagasu -- "Even Crazy Dreams Come True," Carrie Underwood. Dark dress with sparkles. Nailed one jump and popped two. But she moved absolutely beautifully, and her skating looks a lot more mature to me.

Steven Cousins -- white T-shirt and . . . jeans, I think? I didn't recognize the song, but it was a simple, serious number, which I don't think I've seen before from him. Looked good.

Kimmie Meissner -- "Skinny Love," Bon Iver. Sparkly lavender dress. Very pretty number. They couldn't get her music started at the beginning, and she had to wait forever, but she was a really good sport about it and danced around a bit to entertain the audience. :)

Ryan Bradley -- "Footloose," in jeans and a sweatshirt that he later took off, to finish in his T-shirt. Lots of energy, a big crowd-pleaser. And he was unfazed when the song faded in and out a couple of times!

John Kerr -- as Lanie said, he was on his own. They announced that Sinead had gotten stuck in Great Britain, but that John, "like the class act he is," was going ahead. White shirt, black pants. He skated to "Ain't That a Kick in the Head," singer unknown (maybe Michael Buble?), and did great. Once or twice he looked like he was doing some sort of solitary dance hold, but most of the time he did a very convincing impression of a singles skater. Even threw in a single jump. His number got a huge reaction. And BTW, he's even better-looking in person. :)

Brian Boitano -- "Nessun Dorma." Burgundy shirt and black pants. Beautiful number, very well done, with a fantastic delayed . . . something (double axel, I guess). ETA: No, I'm wrong, not delayed -- the opposite of delayed. Where you finish rotating and hang in the air for a second before you come down. Sorry -- I told you I was lousy at describing jumps. Anyway, the crowd still loves him!

Ashley Wagner -- did her new SP to "The Red Violin," as Sylvia said. Black sparkly dress with a pretty skirt (not long, but with a bit of flair to it). Now I know I'm biased toward Ashley, but WOW. This number is gorgeous, and she skated it so beautifully, I got goosebumps! She put so much expression into it, especially at the beginning; toward the end she started to look a mite tired. But this has potential to be a masterpiece. Jumps were good -- just one two-foot that I saw.

Capitol Steps -- synchro group. Skated to "Feelin' Good" -- Buble again, I think.

Michael Weiss -- skated two numbers; I didn't know either song. For the first one, his daughter sang, after Michael carried her out to a platform on the ice -- very cute, and also very necessary, as she was wearing sky-high heels. :)

Finale was to two songs: One I can't remember, and the other was (of course) "Call Me Maybe."

Hopefully others can fill in the gaps I've left. It was a really fun show and I'm so glad I made it this year!
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2012
  20. Jessica

Jessica Active Member

Thanks Wyliefan. I'm glad you had a good time.
    I can't wait to see Ashley's SP.
  21. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

Thank you so much for the review, Wyliefan. So many great skaters. Maybe we'll see some of this online (hopefully). It would be fantastic if it came out on DVD. :)
  22. icemusings

icemusings New Member

I just put up my full review of the show including quotes from several of the skaters: http://icemusings.blogspot.com/2012/09/ice-champions-live.html

Ashley's program is going to be great. She's already showing so much potential. Nagasu skated a show program and it was gorgeous. She looked so at ease on the ice.

I think one of the cutest things I saw was Elise Romola running around after the show collecting autographs from the other skaters :)

It was a great show and all of the skaters were so gracious as always. They hung around in the meet and greet and talked to fans for about an hour and then signed autographs for people waiting outside on their way out as well.
  23. Wyliefan

Really nice job, icemusings! You got some good quotes.
  24. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

Thanks, Wyliefan! :D
  25. skfan

skfan New Member

thanks for the reviews. especially glad to hear about mirai and ashley skating beautifully. :)
  26. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Got back from the show...not a whole lot to add, but I will say this: Wagner's fans are in for a treat this season if the preview we saw of her SP is any indication.

Nagasu was MUCH better than when I saw her on SOI two years ago. We need to see more of this Nagasu in competition.

It was a great show...it seemed to go by so quickly, though!
  27. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

I don't have much to add to Wyliefan's report except to expound on Ashley's gorgeous new SP to 'Red Violin.' She went all-out and tried all elements in the program except for doing a combo...in other words, her jumping passes were, in this order:

solo triple (loop, I think)...likely will be the spot for her combo in the future
    2 axel
    3ple flip ... slight 2-foot.

The passion and musicality are extraordinary. Great choreography. Ashley is becoming quite the dancer and performer out there; much, much more than a competetent skater. She oozes self confidence...like a true champion. Brava!

The cuts of music are from soft to wildly fast. Begins with a slow vocalise...then the slightly-dissonant slow music (remember that from Kwan's LP to same music)...then very fast for final circular footwork, immediately into combo spin, ending in a sudden bold pose. This has the makings of a masterpiece.

Dress - she wore the plainish-black spaghetti-strap dress that we've seen her wear before at a couple of G-P events in the past. This is surely not her final competition outfit. I can't wait to see this program in 'full bloom' with proper make-up, hair, outfit...and that 3ple-3ple combo intact!

All in all, a great start to this program & Ashley.

Other notes: John Kerr did a great job on his own, garnering huge applause for his solo hydroblading. RYAN BRADLEY had THE most applauded and 'woo-hoo'ed' program of the day (well, Capitol Steps synchro group came pretty close). The guy is electric!!!! Mirai had lovely spins and flow. Finally, I was pleasantly surprised by the great progress in the singing of Annie Mae Weiss; this is the best number I've heard from her, pitch-wise, with resonance and feeling. Her dad, of course, was his usual magnificent self. I enjoyed the entire show. "First rate," as Uncle Dick Button would say.

p.s. I filmed from up high but, alas, don't know how to upload my DVD to You Tube. One of these days I'll learn. :)
  28. lulu

lulu New Member

Thanks for the review. John Kerr's number sounds great. :respec:
  29. deltask8er

deltask8er New Member

A couple of years ago I had an on-ice seat and just felt awkward sitting there. When I saw the option for sitting on a hockey bench instead, I went for it. Good place to sit (with a cushion, of course). It's slightly elevated from the on-icers, plenty of personal space, and a clear view of most of the rink.

I took video of the last minute of most performances. I've asked Weiss for permission to post it. I haven't received a response yet, but if he wants me to remove it, I will.

http://youtu.be/wt3wgRQZHKk
  30. YukiNieve

YukiNieve Active Member

I ran into a really bad storm and got to the rink a bit late, so I missed Gigi and Luca’s performance,
    which I was looking forward to. :(

Overall it was a great show and am very thankful to Mike and those
    who made this happen.

Since there are excellent reviews already here, I'd just add a few comments with some photos I took:

- John Kerr's solo was awesome!
    His performance included an axel jump (he said he did it because people bet on if he can do it, lol),
    the eagle with his hands in the pocket, a solo death-spiral (is that how it is called?), etc.
    http://twitpic.com/asmsrm/full
    http://twitpic.com/asuwf8/full

- Richard Dornbush did a funny "nerd" program.
    A bunch of his hairs always stood up even when he did jumps and break-dancing. Wondering if his hair was set?
    http://twitpic.com/asm41o

- Mirai Nagasu did her signature moves such as ina-bauer and a Bielman spin,
    but what I was impressed with was her eagle - it was beautiful!
    http://twitpic.com/asmbos/full

- Brian Boitano is still one of the fastest skaters out there!
    http://twitpic.com/asnjap/full

- Ashley Wagner did her passionate SP routine.
    A very promising program!
    http://twitpic.com/asvuih
    http://twitpic.com/asnq9h/full
  31. Wyliefan

Wonderful pics!!
  32. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

Thanks y'all for sharing the review, pics and video! I appreciate it! :)
  33. alij

alij Active Member

Sounds like a great show, I wish we got more chances in the UK to see shows other than Disney or Holiday on Ice, but i know that historically audiences have not turned up in sufficient numbers.

People being surprised that John Kerr can jump are maybe forgetting he competed as a singles skater up until about 17/18 and had most of his triples, trickier on dance blades I know but a single axel shouldn't be too tricky for him.

DId I read on twitter or somewhere that Sinead had issues reentering the States?
  34. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Going through my pics...hopefully I should at least have Nagasu, Meissner and Wagner to share by today, or late tomorrow.
  35. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure the flip was at the beginning and the loop was toward the end (in the new second-half bonus), but those were the jumps.
    Who knows whether she might end up rearranging for competition during the season.

Nice to see a strong, mysterious program from a woman.

This was my favorite because of the complexity of the skating in between what elements there were. Leave it to an ice dancer. :)
  36. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Thanks to all for the reports!
  37. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

Thanks to everyone for their reviews and photos. Sounds like it was a wonderful show with a great cast.

Nice to hear that Brian is still performing in shows. :)
  38. Triple Butz

Triple Butz Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the reviews...I can't believe I didn't go to this event- I live 15 min away :(
  39. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I was supposed to be out of town, but I couldn't go, so I could have gone to the show had I gotten tickets. Boo!
  40. RD

RD Well-Known Member