2012 Japan Open, Oct. 6th, 2012

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by 4STh, Jun 17, 2012.

1. lala

lala Well-Known Member

But in the past Dai's, Buttle's and Chan's jumping elements were not the same level as Plushy, and he could beat them. And he learn a lot of new things in last and this year he wants to suit the requirements. He received higher PCS than technical scores in JO. Even Buttle got higher technical scores, what is absolute unusual. So Plushy will be better in the future in general. And if he won't be first, only second or third? That would be miraculous in his age !! And he can do it!

f you haven't seen
    http://www.jsfresults.com/InterNational/2012-2013/jo/data0105.pdf

2. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Yep, I didn't know who choreographed it before I watched. I was responding to the posters who were decrying Dai's "Morosov program" and/ or any Morozov influence on him this season.

Unfortunately, many seem to be so in love with what Dai did last year that they seem not to be able to stop comparing last year's programs with this year's and just appreciate watching Dai's skating. It's a pleasure to witness his mastery. :)

3. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

4. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Finally got a chance to see the Ashley video. How awesome to see her performing so well and looking so confident and happy! :respec:

And the dress does look somewhat better on video.

5. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

How does an experienced skater on the level of Mao (or is it her choreographer's and coach's fault) lose points by repeating a spin? That being said, it was great to see her skating with such confidence. The lady's season is going to be quite exciting. I won't be surprised if Ashley wears this costume only one more time.

6. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

I like Kadavy's version. This was a program that I wished Caryn had repeated when she got more confident in her jumps later in her pro career. I liked the ending. It gets boring when almost everyone ends his program with a combo spin of some sort, and most of them aren't very fast and/or doesn't match the music's tempo.

7. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

LOL @ Takahashi's costume. Part of it is a rip-off of Johnny Weir's Swan SP costume from the 2006 season. :rollin: Even though Dai skated his program extremely well for this early in the season, I am not in love with the music, the program, nor the costume. He does so many crossovers and the over-emoting and arm waving looks so contrived and phony, JMO.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  8. jlai

jlai Title-less

My eyes could be deceiving me. I thought Ashley's skating improved. I hope she stays healthy and kick butt this year.

9. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

Seeing Jeffrey skate so brilliantly and hearing of how well he did in both competitions this weekend makes me even more pissed that he didn't make a run at that Olympic gold in Vancouver. I wonder if he has ever had any regrets about retiring early.

10. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

11. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

I'd like to think that he's flourished without the pressure of constant training, competition and expectations. :) If he's happy, what does it matter? I was shocked he did the 3ax here, considering it's never been a great jump for him - and still has all his transitions and WHEEE! :rollin:

12. choreographer:)

choreographer:) New Member

Oh man! I love Patrick and all, and I hope he just had a bad night:( However, can anyone explain to me how ANY skater can fall 4 TIMES still get a 9.5 in P and E component! WOW! What would a clean skate score? 15!
    The emperor is naked people!
    I hope he is not injured and I'm sure he will bounce:)

13. shine

shine Well-Known Member

Jeff Buttle was AMAZING. I can't believe he just skated a competitive long program with all the hardest jumps when jumping has never been his strong suit. That program was art, beautiful and moving. I truly respect this guy.

14. RFOS

RFOS Well-Known Member

Hey Jeff, you know it's not too late to come back for Sochi. :shuffle:

15. FSfan107

FSfan107 Well-Known Member

Gosh I love Jeff and his skating so much. He's one of my favorite skaters ever and I'm glad he continues to give us these great programs every year. I was shocked to see the triple axel too. I would love to see more programs like that in competition from other skaters (I mean in terms of artistry).

16. CantALoop

CantALoop Well-Known Member

I'll drink to that! :40beers: Jeffrey was smooth like butter :swoon:

I kind of like Ashley's dress color - it reminds me of a California poppy.

17. jettasian

jettasian New Member

Of course he didn't get first if others skated better than him :rolleyes:

18. jettasian

jettasian New Member

I guess Chan haters can't bitch that he's winning with falls, it's time to use other means to insult Chan and the sport :rolleyes:

19. jettasian

jettasian New Member

Over the top costume suits his over the top hands and arms and heads and facial expressions very well. Yeah, ARTISTIC! :rolleyes:

20. stevlin

stevlin Member

Jeff is still my favorite skater. Every move he does is beautiful. I wish I could see the Japan open where he won gold.

21. rosewood

rosewood Well-Known Member

TAT had to change and finish the choreo of Swan Lake in August because of the change of the rules. TAT was angry enough about the timing of big rule changes (like ChSq and spins) to write a letter to Cinquanta. Maybe TAT think big changes of rules should have done two seasons before the Olympics.
    http://winter.sport-express.ru/figureskating/reviews/24762/
    Mao used to be given new programs in spring. So she had less time this year to practice her Swan Lake. Of course she was nervous at the first international competition but there was another reason. I can't wait to see her perfect Swan Lake like good wine being matured in the later season.:rollin:

22. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Love the fluidity of Mao's Swan Lake. Was one of the spin problems that she didn't get her hip low enough in the sit position to count?

Not a fan of Ashley's costume color, but delighted to see her skating with power and control, especially right after Mao has delivered a great program.

23. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

OK so Wagner has beaten Asada in their last 3 head-to-head competitions, and this time with Asada skating quite well. Who would think they were neck and neck in PCS? :shuffle:

Wagner's program was nice - I especially like the timing of the layback spin. I think she might have been a little behind near the end, causing the rushing through of the Choreographic Sequence. This can be good come Nationals and Worlds (hopefully). Still, I was hoping to see yet a little more details below the ankle. Her arms and upper body were always busy, but she really could use more edges and one footed turns.

The new COP rules is killing her spins though. I HATE that she has to hop within her deathdrop, which used to be so fast and tight but is now slowing to a halt. Same for the change of foot in her combo spin - it was so small it wans't even given credit. Perhaps it's time to rethink the spins.

Sad to see too little progress on fixing the flutz and her 2axel is still problematic. Perhaps a 3loop3toe or a 3toe-2axel sequence would be easier for her than the 2axel3toe. The 3loop3toe could also be used in the short program so she wouldn't have to train 2 money tricks.

Asada's program was great. Her lightness is back. If anything, I would like her to work on her arms. They are too weak. Not soft, weak. There was too little tension and the overall impact of her positions was lessened. I hope the spin issue was a brain fart like what Yuna Kim did at 2009 Worlds, not a mis-calculation by TAT. Hate to see TAT losing her touch.

Suzuki's program was ... okay. I will need some more time to get into it. Her programs last season were too impressive for comparison to be honest.

24. rosewood

rosewood Well-Known Member

No, she began the same CCoSp as she already did, then she noticed her mistake and she arranged the rest of the seq. Mao said "I made a mistake with my spins." and talked about what she did with Dai at the K&C.

25. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

Awww! Gedevanishvilli's LP is so charming! Loved it.

And as a sign of the apocalypse, I didn't hate Plushenko's program! It might be the lack of the violin-on-crack Edvin Marton music, but it's the first time I've enjoyed something from him since his Nijinsky program

26. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

:drama: about Chan's mistakes, but it was a great program. So good that I am already hoping he would re-use it next season.

Takahashi's program was better in the second half. The first half was kind of bland.

Sad to see Kozuka coming up with a new program because I loved his program last season, but this new one isn't half bad. He will again need to work hard on his expressions. Glad to see him relatively solid so early in the season. If Oda returns strongly this season, I have a sense he is the one who will need to worry about it.

Buttle was surreal. Is he already ineligible for Sochi? :p

27. npavel

npavel Well-Known Member

28. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

I thought perhaps the second spin was perhaps meant to be a layback, and she went into the camel by mistake.. just by the way it ended in a beilman. My theory anyway.

29. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

I think so too. Without pressure of competition, Jeff can truly do what he likes and showcase his strengths. In competition, we must fulfill the criteria to win. He was a delight to watch during his competition years and he, very much like Browning, has grown from strength to strength post competition.

30. maureenfarone

maureenfarone Well-Known Member

:lol::lol::scream::scream: