2012 Japan Open, Oct. 6th, 2012

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by 4STh, Jun 17, 2012.

1. luckiest1

luckiest1 Well-Known Member

Absolutely! Love the costume as well, a bit reminiscent of Elvis' 1492 costume from 1995.

2. ice9

ice9 Active Member

Ditto.

3. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Plush has a haircut :) His jumping ability is still amazing, but the rest of his skating just isn't going to cut it anymore under IJS. And what with the grabbing of his left leg into the Y-position at the end of the SLF? That made no sense whatsoever.

4. jettasian

jettasian New Member

Yup, despite the falls, Chan's LP is great, love the music and the costume and the choreo. It's just his off day. Once he has his jumps together, he will be unbeatable. I'm not worried about him.

5. jettasian

jettasian New Member

No excuse. It's just his off day. A lot of skaters have encountered that once awhile. It's better early than late in the season.

6. arakwafan2006

arakwafan2006 Active Member

For me, Dai, Mao and Jeff were just in a class all by themselves. Ashley was fantastic as well.

Jeff though was just brilliant. His performance is what the ISU should consider when setting rules. Yeah, he could have used a quad but he did all the jumps but the performance was by FAR the most important part. There's the choreography that tries to address the music and there is the performance that Jeff gave where the music and the skater seemed to have been lost forever and reunited.

Mao has work to do but Tatiana Tarasova gave her a gift in the program.

Dai made the right decision to go back to Morosov BUT not have Morosov do the programs. Morosov can be more objective to what the other choreographers have done while helping dia be more consistent.

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  7. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

Wow, Jeff was just absolutely stunning today :swoon: Anyway we can convince him to come back for Sochi? :lol: I didn't realize he had still kept up with the axel, that was one of the best performances I've seen from him. Amazing.

As for Patrick, I was worried when he left Krall and my suspicions have been confirmed. Kathy Johnson has done wonders for his artistic side, but the technique is not her strong suit, Patrick was rushing through everything, there was no sense of timing or attack to his jumps, it seems like it's all gone down hill since he had his coaching change. When we are already seeing stunning performances from all Kozuka, Hanyu, Takahashi, and Dornbrush, they're up to snuff and ready to go. Patrick isn't. I'm hoping this was just a case of an off day for Patrick but he's only got a couple weeks now to Skate Canada, if we see a repeat of this, he won't find himself anywhere near the podium. I really hope he can turn it around in time.

8. reese

reese Well-Known Member

Ashley's program... did Mills do this one? There's too much crap arm choreography going on... very reminiscent of when Sasha Cohen would just make up her own choreography in the middle of her programs. I can't imagine all the accenting-the-music-with-arm-punches was planned by Mills.

9. bek

bek Guest

Patrick tends to make big mistakes early in the season... Nice to see he didn't get first with that

10. ratatouille

ratatouille New Member

ChelleC and (deleted member) like this.
  11. ostile17

ostile17 Well-Known Member

Pagliacci, by Leoncavallo, choreographed by Shae-Lynn Bourne

12. timmybopper

timmybopper New Member

Stirring the pot here....

BUT: If Jeff still has his 3A (which I was surprised to see him land with relative ease) and adds a second 3A into his program, how competitive is he among current senior mens skaters even without a quad? I thought his program components were STUNNING and his footwork and other jumps still seemed top notch. I know Jeff won't come back to eligible skating but how would he compare if he had a second 3A in that program?

13. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

ASHLEY - what a masterpiece of an LP!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJMDkYMfy7c&feature=channel&list=UL

Nobody has EVAH come up with so powerful and perfect a program to this music. For 40+ years I've dreamt that someone would 'get it right' with the Samson & Delilah Bacchanale music. Finally! Thank you, Ashley. And so well skated for the start of the season. Imagine what it can be like at Worlds.

Love-love-love the glamorous Orientalia golden dress. WOW!

Samson & Delilah - First came Peggy Fleming with the perfect skate to 'Mon Coeur' (the soft tune) and now Ashley Wagner with the perfect Bacchanale...and even a bit of 'Mon Coeur' in the middle!

Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  14. seabm7

seabm7 Active Member

Would'nt he be in a conflict of interests situation in such a case? His client list includes Patrick, Yuzuru and Nan Song! :D

15. lala

lala Well-Known Member

Oh really?
    Men - Free Skating Results
    PL. Competitor National TSS TES PCS SS TR PE CH IN Deduction StN.
    1 Daisuke TAKAHASHI JPN 172.06 81.00 91.06 9.11 8.71 9.21 9.25 9.25 0.00 #6
    2 Takahiko KOZUKA JPN 165.08 83.06 83.02 8.54 8.18 8.32 8.29 8.18 1.00 #3
    3 Jeffrey BUTTLE CAN 160.86 72.66 88.20 8.71 8.64 8.86 8.89 9.00 0.00 #1
    4 Evgeni PLUSHENKO RUS 156.21 71.63 85.58 8.75 7.96 8.68 8.54 8.86 1.00 #5
    5 Michal BREZINA CZE 151.53 71.45 80.08 8.25 7.61 8.07 8.00 8.11 0.00 #2
    6 Patrick CHAN CAN 137.42 57.00 84.42 8.61 8.57 8.07 8.57 8.39 4.00 #4

That's so funny, or ridiculous, when the Plushy's haters trying to belittle him.:D He won the ECH in this year, and he got very high scores, don't you remember?:confused: Or the ECH wasn't under the IJS? And look at the protochols of JO!

And his hair one of his trade marks!! Didn't you like it? This is matter of taste! Many fans adore his hair, like me. He was very beautiful and unique on the ice with it. But he has became more mature, and he cuted his hair.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15UjaPyaccw&feature=related
    Isn't he beautiful? Read the comments :)))

16. Chris_E

Chris_E Active Member

Thanks for the link. I was hoping I'd wake up to this today :)

Great skate and I really enjoyed the program. I think it is still probably a work in progress. She added little bits of choreography to "Black Swan" last year and I expect her to do the same with this one as she becomes stronger throughout the season. All in all a great start to her season.

17. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Looks great :)

18. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

It's not difficult to place above Brezina and a very sub-par Chan, and it's not belittling Plushy to observe that his non-jumping elements were not at the same level as Dai, Buttle, and Chan. Plushy didn't skate with the same ease as those I mentioned.

I like the haircut. The layer and shorter length in the back lighten up his hair.

19. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I really like most of Ashley's LP. The beginning and middle are very good, but the last minute or so doesn't seem to work as well. But I'm sure it will improve with each comp. Most of all, I'm impressed with the confidence and attack that she is showing.

20. danafan

danafan Canadian ladies ├╝ber

Wait - Chan fell four times and did not win a competition??? What has happened to the sport of Figure Skating?????

Tongue firmly in cheek...

21. martyross

martyross Active Member

Aashley's skating is highly seducing as a Dalilah should be. go my girl!!

22. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

COP ruins everything!!!1 ;)

23. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Ashley looks great and there's still room for improvement with adding in either a 3-3 or 2a-3t, which I assume she plans to do. Awesome start to the season though, her flutz even looks better, and I actually like the dress! The cut and design are gorgeous, I agree deep purple might be a better color choice, but in that video it was more orange and less glaringly yellow than the photos suggested so it was already a big improvement. :cheer: so excited the season is here :cheer2: !

24. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I love Ashley and like her new program overall. However, I think the, like you, that the last minute needs to have more of an impact. Also, the arm movements are a little too much. Hopefully, she and her coach will reign that in as the season progresses. I love her acting when she skates, IMO her expression is probably the best of the ladies right now.

Too bad Chan fell so much but his program is gorgeous. As program themselves, I think his La Boheme and Mao's Swan Lake have the potential to be really great. They both have great choreography the whole way through and don't just glide from jump to jump. However, Chan's jump failures were really disastrous. I'm glad the judges gave him the scores he deserved and I'm sure he work out the kinks eventually this season.

25. all_empty

all_empty Well-Known Member

I'm not sure Ashley's is "perfect" ... yet. It's a little too stop and go for my taste, and her jump timings still feel hurried.

This is one of my favorite pieces of music, but many skaters have done a great job with it before:

Notably, Joannie Rochette at this very event:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzxIv0iQhWA (a perfect program, and in my opinion, the best COP ladies program in recent history)

Kristi Yamaguchi:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNmt6AHYfk8 (as close to perfect as Kristi can get)

Jeff Buttle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADGQ-Fq7s6c (a little watered down, but clean)

I believe Evan Lysacek is skating to this music too, and he was quoted as saying this is a piece not a lot of skaters use ... um right. :rolleyes:

26. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

27. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

No, that was her exhibition. I am quite sure that the LP is something else.

From your post I am not sure if you know this, but it was not choreographed by Morozov. Shae-Lynn Bourne choreographed it. Although I agree that it looks a bit like Morozov program - most likely he had his input in it too.

28. Cloudy_Gumdrops

Cloudy_Gumdrops New Member

Ashley's dress looks so much better on the video than in pictures. I don't like her program though. I found it pretty boring. I'm glad she's continuing to skate so well though.

29. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

I can't find a link to Dai's LP in this thread. Is there one and I just keep missing it?

ETA:http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=XbkSXwGLyMQ&NR=1

That's not Pagliacci. So we must be talking about different programs. May be this link is from last year?

30. floskate

floskate Vacant