2012 Japan Open, Oct. 6th, 2012

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by 4STh, Jun 17, 2012.

1. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

Me too! I know he didn't skate well, but I am curious about the program as a whole. Perhaps by tomorrow?

2. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

3. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

Terrible colour and cut. Not a fan of the ab-jazzling either.

4. caelan

caelan New Member

Anyone got links to Ashley's program?? Dying to see it!!

5. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

There isn't one :)

Thank you so much for the PBP!

The link needed a warning label, that dress is so bright.

I loved Suzuki's dress. Kozuka looks so much more balanced over his blades than last season: I'm glad he resolved his boot issues.

So odd to see a protocol of Chan's where the GOE's and falls looked like Liam Firus' BC Summerskate performance. (He still managed to get higher TES than Weir at Finlandia :eek:)

6. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

Ashley's new dress makes me want to cry.

7. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Sasha

She looks a little bigger (in a good way) than she did last year. I hope she has a great year.

8. rosewood

rosewood Whoa! Samurai battles!

9. galaxy

galaxy Active Member

Thanks for the links.
    Wow! Generally Japanese is not a people who exaggerate things too much, but I would call the beauty of these photos already "art".

10. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Mao and dress are beautiful!

11. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

Ashley's dress would look a lot better a) if her hair were darker again and b) if she didn't have so much of a tan (I know it's light, but it's obvious because she's very fair). I was expecting something a lot more like her SP costume from last season. Hoping they make some tweaks to that costume!

12. lala

lala Well-Known Member

Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  13. t.mann

t.mann New Member

14. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

I can't believe Plushenko didn't fall on that double toe! That was crazy tilted. You haven't seen tilted until you see that. Then than mistake on the double axel. He almost saved it but no-"fall". Similar to the Russian test skates in all aspects of the choreo. Rotated and landed two quads with some problem but done and then the first triple axel was great. Too bad about the second single one. Impressive regarding his age with the mistakes.

15. floskate

floskate Vacant

16. naan

naan New Member

17. lala

lala Well-Known Member

I'm sure he will be far better in the season!:)

Plush:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcl8aQEpOeY&feature=player_embedded

18. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

I hope he will do this program or another program with those jumps at the level of 2012 euros. But that is such a high level!

19. floskate

floskate Vacant

20. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Surprised to see no reference in online sources to the extended usages of this term. Original usage: "military signal that lights are to be extinguished for the night." Also, "death, time to die."

Perhaps the term used in reference to competitive performance is extrapolated from the "death" usage. IOW, Dai "killed it." He turned the "lights out" with his winning performance. Sure this performance is not the best he can do, but its better than good for the start of the new season. Plus he has that extra something that can't be taught.

21. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Jeff... oh Jeff ...:swoon::swoon: Like vintage wine.. better with increasing years!
    Plushenko .. :eek: unbelievable. He still can jump.

22. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Re Chan's performance, what was his excuse: rushing, nerves, skates, ice, early season? Oh well, he has worked hard on the musicality and artistic aspects of his skating, which weren't terribly bad anyway. Apparently, his skating skills minimize all disasters and/ or deficiencies. His skating is definitely an example of "out of this world" flow, per ISU terminology in their skating skills vids.

Re Ashley's performance, very strong! And the color of her dress is not so intense bright yellow in the video clip, as it was in the original photo link. It seems to be more of a deep rich yellow.

ETA:

Jeffrey was very good. He shows great passion. I've never been a huge fan of his, but I generally have enjoyed his performances, especially some of his extraordinary exhibitions. I could do without the exaggerated closing of eyes at the beginning, which Patrick has taken to doing also. I think they caught it from Johnny. ;) But while Johnny's former closing of eyes seemed more spur of the moment and natural, theirs seems more studied. But whatever gets them in the mood. I don't think Johnny has particularly made a practice of doing it. I recall he did it once during the opening of his Yunona y Avos program. And on a few other occasions.

Re Plushenko. Still in great shape, but not as dead solid on his jumps, but that doesn't mean he won't be competitive. More Rondo Capriccioso, along with Johnny-flavored costume. ;)

23. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

Never cared much for Ashley Wagner in the past but she's been growing on me since last season and I liked the drive and fire in her skate at Japan Open, she has a lovely presence on the ice.

Quite painful to see Chan falling on almost every jump but everything he's doing between the falls is a thing of beauty, from how he is using his edges to his body and arm movement. Awesome choreography, this La Boheme might be the most emotional program he's ever done.:swoon:

24. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

Yeah I wasn't a fan of his amateur work - but he's an amazing skater with much grace and elegance

25. ali_dorate

ali_dorate New Member

The color of Ashley's dress was bright yellow. In the video clip it looks more like orange but it' not.
    And it was shining brightly and I love it.

What really shone was her performance.
    After the beautiful and almost perfect performance of Mao, crowds went literally crazy with joy. Most of them including me expected Mao to win.

Going into the ice seeing this excitement of the crowds and delivering this level of performance is just incredible. I was so excited to see her last jump (though it was UR). She was attacking until the end of the program. That's the spirit!

Golden performance from Ashley. She changed the mood of Team NA from dark to bright!

26. johndockley92

johndockley92 New Member

What is the link to the detailed protocol? Thanks :)

27. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

deleted

28. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

29. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Required in the short program since 1989 -- still the case.

Never required in long programs.

30. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Comment on Ashley - She seems to have more height on her jumps than she used to, and the way she saved that crooked 3F, wow! A couple of years ago, she would've landed on her butt