2012 Japan Open, Oct. 6th, 2012

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by 4STh, Jun 17, 2012.

1. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

Still no video up for Akiko or Ashley?

2. DimaToe

DimaToe Well-Known Member

I couldn't get into it either. After how well packaged Dai was last season I just can't get as excited as I did about him back then, but it seems that because of the formatting of his programs he will have a better success rate with the quads though, so that's the good part..

3. babayaga

babayaga Active Member

4. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

Mao's FS is lovely. :cheer2:

Her jumps look more solid overall as well, except for the Salchow. She did it fine here, but it appears as though she's still not really kicking up in to it enough, thus the lack of height.

Still, a fab effort for her! :)

5. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

I love Ashley and I hope she rocks it to the hilt this season, but WOW, I don't like that color on her, AT ALL! I think Ashley's hair color is beautiful on her, but that dress in that color?!!! Why? It reeks too much of the color dress Rachael wore a couple of seasons ago, which did NOT suit Rachael either.

Mao looks very lovely.

6. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

Ashley's dress would look better in a deep purple. I like the overall design, but the color is a little bright. ;)

7. all_empty

all_empty Well-Known Member

Nice program from Mao.

I love the footwork, the jump placement, and that she seems happy. I too assume the 2A+2T will be a 2A+3T later in the season. Glad to see two 3Lo as well...it's always been solid for her.

There's still some work needed on the 3Lz edge and the back ends of her combinations may have been downgraded. I suspect her second combination spin got 0 points because it's the same classification as the first -- both CCoSpin. If she puts a flying entrance on one of them she will be fine. Either that or the last position in her flying camel was considered upright, leaving her without a spin in a single position in her program (fixable by doing a donut position instead).

8. all_empty

Re: Ashley's dress.

I'm not a fan but those embroidered designs are really hot right now in fashion ... I see tons of celebs in them.

Will need a closer look.

9. aftershocks

Yes, you're probably right a deeper shade such as purple or blue (even red), but certainly less startling than the bright intense yellow color which doesn't look great against her skin, IMO. The design would likely not seem so bad to me either, if the color was more enhancing for her.

Loved Mao's program. I'm glad she seems so happy, and it shows in her skating.

I love embroidery. It's not the embroidery on Ashley's dress that I'm talking about. It's the intense yellow color of the dress which IMO doesn't look good against her skin. Even perhaps breaking it up with another color added to the yellow, or a different overall color entirely in the same dress design would help. Yes, perhaps a closer up look might help, or it just might be blinding. ;) Anyway, she's wearing it and it's her skating that counts and matters the most. Good luck to Ashley!

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  10. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

Eh Akiko's new program is okay. I'm not a fan of the music in the beginning.

11. all_empty

Not loving Akiko's program.

The music is a departure and does nothing for her at all ... a bit of a risky move in a pre-Olympic year. She should've experimented last year if she wanted to do something different.

Akiko's needs big and bold music to fit her skating.

12. Karpenko

Karpenko Well-Known Member

I think that this is the best program Mao has ever had. She still needs more power but I love the music cut and the choreography. It's really refreshing to see this from her! :cheer:

13. arakwafan2006

arakwafan2006 Active Member

Tarasova hit the nail on the head with Mao this time.

Fantastic work

14. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

Don't agree with you guys, personally I LOVE Akiki's music and program! I think she has a winner with this LP if she skate it clean. It really fits her fluid ethereal style

And Mao!!! MAO!!!! :swoon: :swoon: :swoon: Her best LP EVER!!!! Even the poor music cuts don't bother me!! FINALLY!!!! :cheer2:

Kokuza is KING! And this Classical elegant LP is PERFECTION! What elegance! His best LP since Romeo and Juliette

Love Daisuke, but I've been spoiled by his programs the past 3 seasons, so this is a bit of a let down, but still amaaazing :D I know Morozov didn't choreograph it, but it feels like a typical generic Morozov program. the music is gorgeous and his skating is gorgeous, and together they hold my attention, but hoping for something more interesting than this for the Olympic season

15. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

MR-FAN and (deleted member) like this.
  16. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Thanks babayaga. Akiko's dress is gorgeous. She's skating well and I always love her beautiful charming smile.
    Soo happy to see Kozuka starting strong and skating well this season. His boot issues are now behind him. And he's got his quads. :cheer:The Japanese men are all looking great and strong (Kozuka, Daisuke, Hanyu, Obo etc.) this season. Won't be surprised if they dominate the GP and World podiums.

17. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Thanks for that protocol- missed it before.

18. aftershocks

I agree with you MR-FAN, re Akiko. This is a wonderful program for her. She just obviously ran into a little difficulty toward the end, perhaps with stamina. The music and choreo are quite lovely. For those who don't like this music for Akiko, I understand that you maybe associate her style of skating with a different kind of music and this is somewhat of a departure for her. But the fact Akiko skates so well to this music without losing any of her joie de vivre, I think shows her range. ITA with MR-FAN that this program skated cleanly is a "winner" for Akiko. Is the music by a Japanese composer?

You mean Oda, not Obo, of course. Oda is not anywhere near being a musical instrument, ahem. ;) As I've mentioned, Oda is a great jumper and a wonderful skater (and of course he's shown that he's been working on his weaknesses) but he simply doesn't have musicality, artistry or great presentation skills. Right, I know none of that matters to the judges as long as he lands his jumps and has learned how to count. :p

19. all_empty

Well, I'm entitled to my opinion about Akiko ... And this is coming from a fan. The levels (volume) seemed low on her music so maybe I'll change my mind after seeing (and hearing) it again.

At least I made the right call on Mao's deductions -- the edge call, the repeated combination spin, and the downgraded loops.

20. aftershocks

^^ Absolutely. All I said was "I understand" you may associate Akiko's skating and personality with a different kind of music, and that I think she skated very well to music that may be a bit of a departure, which shows her range, IMO. Doesn't negate your opinion. :)

Mao's program is a keeper. Most of all, it's so great to see Mao happy and skating beautifully after the battle she went through re-learning jump technique and the recent grief of losing her mother. Every time Mao steps out on competitive ice, I think it's a victory for her. :)

ETA:
    Ahhh, I just looked at Kozuka's program. Very nice job to music I will always associate with Johnny Weir.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXtHYSAmLMg :swoon:

Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
    MR-FAN and (deleted member) like this.
  21. DimaToe

DimaToe Well-Known Member

I liked the top 3 ladies a lot, but this season it seems that Mao is a Swan and Akiko is a Peacock, I wonder if Miki will jump on the bandwagon :rofl:

22. reese

reese Well-Known Member

I may be in the minority, but I love Akiko's program.

Mao's Swan Lake is gorgeous, but she still looks to me like she's lacking a lot of power. She still looks as if those URs are going to kill her this year. Hope I'm wrong.

23. aftershocks

^^ You're not in the minority re Akiko's program. :)

Mao has never looked like she has a lot of power, but believe me, no matter how delicate she looks and seems to skate, she has the POWER too (not to mention, the glory ;)). :saint:

24. burntBREAD

burntBREAD Active Member

I saw somewhere that Miki's LP might be Black Swan? So if it is, then she is a bird as well!

Also, Akiko's music is from the Cirque du Soleil "O" soundtrack.

25. naan

naan New Member

What happened to Patrick? :( I'm dying to see his new program.

Me too, I really like Akiko's program! Love the music, and the program has potential!

I'm so glad that Mao looks healthy and happy. I had expected something new from her, but her swan lake is typical Mao's balletic program. It suits her very well, but I like liebestraum much more.

Oh Dai, I really love him and his skating, but not his new typical generic Morozov program. He deserves much better program!

26. aftershocks

^^ Don't know what people were/ are expecting from Dai re his on again association with Morozov. IMHO, Dai has a personality, a work ethic and a focus that rises above negativity. Dai likely looks for the good in everyone, and he seeks to learn and to grow from whatever his mentors, coaches and competitors have to offer.

Fortunately, I didn't look at Dai's new program thinking, "Oh no, choreographed by Morozov." Dai skated that program "lights out," and still it's only the beginning of the season. The best is yet to come ... :saint:

27. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

This!

28. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Just watched the videos.

Dai was absolutely amazing for this early in the season. That FS is already gorgeous and is just going to get better with more mileage, and I'm relieved, because his SP this season isn't so great so I'm glad he has a program like this to make up for that.

Akiko's FS is VOIDY :inavoid: :cheer: and I think it has the potential to be really effective and impressive once she cleans up the jumps. I'm glad she's going out of her shell and trying something different, I wasn't sure about Kostner's SP at the start of last season either but by the time Worlds rolled around I loved it.

Mao and Taka were also great, glad to see them skating well and going "back to their roots" so to speak, beautiful programs & beautiful skating! Also, Mao's lutz looked better and Taka's quad seems a lot more powerful and strong compared to last season.

29. RFOS

RFOS Well-Known Member

Dai did a great job, but this post made me search for the definition of "lights out." I know that it's used to describe a superb performance but didn't quickly find any official definition for that use of the term. Is it not commonly used in that way in other contexts? I wonder where it originated. Anyone know?

30. tkaug

tkaug Member