2012 Japan Open, Oct. 6th, 2012

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by 4STh, Jun 17, 2012.

1. Amy03

Amy03 New Member

I WANT TOO SEE MAO NOWWW

someone please load Mao fs program!
  2. floskate

floskate Vacant

Wow great skates from Mao and Ashley it seems. Mao's dress looks ok but not keen on the flesh top and the fact that you can see the press studs. Hopefully it will look better while she's skating. Ashley's is....not good :scream: Still can't wait to watch this though!
  3. ostile17

ostile17 Active Member

Amazing skate for Daisuke. It really looked like he was from another planet compared to the others out there today!
    Well done!!!
  4. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

Congratulations to Team Japan. Can't wait to see a revitalized Mao Asada.:rollin:
  5. tianrushui

tianrushui New Member

6. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

7. floskate

floskate Vacant

I LOVE Mao's new LP.:swoon: Beautiful, beautiful footwork all the way through. She looks so much more healthy this season and it really shows in the jumps which looked the best I've seen them since perhaps even 2008 Worlds. More mileage, that 2x-3t in place plus the spins and final jump combo :yikes: sorted and this will be 130+ potential by the end of the season.....if done clean ;)
    LadyNit and (deleted member) like this.
  8. masofs

masofs New Member

That program has so much potential. I love it. The last two sequences are perfect! :swoon:
  9. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

10. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

Overall, I think Mao's program has potential and could be one of her better ones. It has nice choreography all the way through. She just needs more mileage on it and to become more consistent.

Really enjoyed Daisuke.
  11. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

Yay yay yay MAO!!!!

Are the ladies not required to do a layback spin now?
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  12. zebobes

zebobes Active Member

The only problem that i have with Daisuke's FS is that the program's choreography doesn't really seem to start until after the quad toes are out of the way. He has a long gliding approach where he isn't really doing anything... and it's even more obvious when he does two of them right in a row.

He probably will get better as the season progresses, but other than that, nice job, Daisuke!
  13. shopper

shopper New Member

Mao looked gorgeous and happy. That is so great

Daisuke was amazing as well. Going to be a great year
  14. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

Does this mean Mao has dumped the 3 axel for now?

And is Ashley's or Akiko's LP on youtube yet?
  15. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

So glad for Ashley!! :cheer2:

(But here's hoping she ditches that dress!)
  16. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I'm delighted for Mao, Ashley and Jeffrey!
  17. floskate

floskate Vacant

Nope, she did a few in practice at Japan Open and they looked a LOT better than any of her attempts last year. She's said she is going to try and add it later in the season.

Mao gave a LOT of points away here (UR's 2ft 2x at the beginning and a spin that didn't even score anything) but still racked up 122+. I'd say internationally this program will be very well received. But whatever happens, I'm just really happy that she seems happy out there and most importantly, she looks healthy!! :cheer:

ETA: Better quality version of Mao's new FS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfkkuI5vXyw

Love Dai as always but ITA with zebobes - where is the choreography at the beginning? Is this the actual choreography or has Morosov's editing been at work? There are moments that I just love however.
  18. jenny12

Agreed. I really appreciate that Mao has choreography throughout her entire program and hope she is able to keep it that way and add jumps throughout the season. I know she has struggled the past few years, but hope she can finally get it together.

Love Dai's passion but I wish he had more choreography in the beginning and was using someone other than Morosov.
  19. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

20. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

From the Daisuke-san thread in Trash Can:

So, it looks like Dai has started off the season very strong, and I hope his strength and success continue to build :cheer:

As far as complaints about Dai's choreo, IMO, trying to successfully land quads requires a lot of energy and mental focus. Preparation in going into quads is also important so its a given that choreo will not be the main focus in the sections of his program where f'ing quads for point-gathering are needed.

ETA:
    Thanks kittyjake for the link to Dai's fp performance at Japan Open! Wow! I have to say, Dai has certainly started out the season very strong. It's clear that he has been focusing hard on getting two quads into his fp without sacrificing any of his artistry. So what re the opening choreo? Why so nitpicky? The opening IMO is still very powerful. Good strategy on Dai's part. He is a true artist and athlete, and he's right now, IMHO, the best male skater in the world.

Okay, there are plenty of talented challengers out there too... several of them his own countrymen (Hanyu, Oda, Kosuka). Surely that fact has bolstered Dai's focus on continuing to improve. But I also think that Dai doesn't really worry about his competition, as much as he is inspired by the best that his top competitors have to offer. Dai feeds on that inspiration and he focuses always on what he can do to be better. Above all, he's gracious in either victory or defeat.
  21. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

I'm normally not a big Mao fan, but I love that LP!
  22. DimaToe

DimaToe Well-Known Member

:D Seems like Mao is getting her groove back, as well as Tarasova choreography wise!! :cheer:
  23. Madmarch

Madmarch New Member

Love Daisuke's LP, does anyone know what the music is?
  24. jenny12

Really glad to get to see these programs this early. Can't wait to see others including Patrick Chan, even if it sounded like he had a pretty horrid skate.
  25. flipforsynchro

flipforsynchro New Member

Are there protocols for JO anywhere?
  26. FSfan107

FSfan107 Well-Known Member

Mao's program is lovely! I love ending with the spread eagle into the spiral part.
  27. emma1227

emma1227 New Member

Great way to start the season for Ash and Mao!! But Agnes...what happened? Has high hopes for her after US Classic...was hoping her inconsistencies in the free might be a thing of the past!!
  28. emma1227

emma1227 New Member

Mao's dress is just stunning!!
  29. ratatouille

ratatouille New Member

I am sure Chan will be back on the right track. It's just the first competition.

Well done to Daisuke! and nice quads although the second one was 2 footed. I don't mind not seeing any transitions in the first few minutes. Quads need a lot of speed and preparation.

So proud of Jeff. He's been competing 2 days in a row and look at him! he's surely missed. I love his skating.

Mao's FS is simply gorgeous in every way: the costume, the music cut, the choreo and her skating. It will get better and better. But what's so good to see is Mao in good shape. She's gained more weight and muscle after so many years being worried about her late mother. Well done to TAT too!

This will be an exiting season ! although I must admit that with all the rule changes, I don't understand them any longer.
  30. Cloudy_Gumdrops

Cloudy_Gumdrops New Member

Mao's Swan Lake is gorgeous.

Ashley needs to ditch that dress. And go back to brunette.

Much as I love Dai, I'm just not feeling the program, yet. Maybe I just loved last year's LP too much.
  31. smarts1

Still no video up for Akiko or Ashley?
  32. DimaToe

DimaToe Well-Known Member

I couldn't get into it either. After how well packaged Dai was last season I just can't get as excited as I did about him back then, but it seems that because of the formatting of his programs he will have a better success rate with the quads though, so that's the good part..
  33. babayaga

babayaga Active Member

34. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

Mao's FS is lovely. :cheer2:

Her jumps look more solid overall as well, except for the Salchow. She did it fine here, but it appears as though she's still not really kicking up in to it enough, thus the lack of height.

Still, a fab effort for her! :)
  35. aftershocks

I love Ashley and I hope she rocks it to the hilt this season, but WOW, I don't like that color on her, AT ALL! I think Ashley's hair color is beautiful on her, but that dress in that color?!!! Why? It reeks too much of the color dress Rachael wore a couple of seasons ago, which did NOT suit Rachael either.

Mao looks very lovely.
  36. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

Ashley's dress would look better in a deep purple. I like the overall design, but the color is a little bright. ;)
  37. all_empty

all_empty Well-Known Member

Nice program from Mao.

I love the footwork, the jump placement, and that she seems happy. I too assume the 2A+2T will be a 2A+3T later in the season. Glad to see two 3Lo as well...it's always been solid for her.

There's still some work needed on the 3Lz edge and the back ends of her combinations may have been downgraded. I suspect her second combination spin got 0 points because it's the same classification as the first -- both CCoSpin. If she puts a flying entrance on one of them she will be fine. Either that or the last position in her flying camel was considered upright, leaving her without a spin in a single position in her program (fixable by doing a donut position instead).
  38. all_empty

all_empty Well-Known Member

Re: Ashley's dress.

I'm not a fan but those embroidered designs are really hot right now in fashion ... I see tons of celebs in them.

Will need a closer look.
  39. aftershocks

Yes, you're probably right a deeper shade such as purple or blue (even red), but certainly less startling than the bright intense yellow color which doesn't look great against her skin, IMO. The design would likely not seem so bad to me either, if the color was more enhancing for her.

Loved Mao's program. I'm glad she seems so happy, and it shows in her skating.

I love embroidery. It's not the embroidery on Ashley's dress that I'm talking about. It's the intense yellow color of the dress which IMO doesn't look good against her skin. Even perhaps breaking it up with another color added to the yellow, or a different overall color entirely in the same dress design would help. Yes, perhaps a closer up look might help, or it just might be blinding. ;) Anyway, she's wearing it and it's her skating that counts and matters the most. Good luck to Ashley!
  40. smarts1

Eh Akiko's new program is okay. I'm not a fan of the music in the beginning.