2012 Japan Open, Oct. 6th, 2012

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by 4STh, Jun 17, 2012.

1. jiggs

jiggs Well-Known Member

I haven't watched all programs but so far I thought ...

Mao's Swan Lake was gorgeous and suits her very well. Her jumps still look a bit iffy in places and she could use some more power but I think she is on the right track.

I am not a fan of Ashley's program. For me there is too much weird staring/glaring, too much arm movement and too much posing/stop&go. The two stops during her footwork especially bother me. She will probably add changes to the program just like last year and I am sure it will improve, but I find that her movements in general lack the polish that Mao and other top skaters have.

I enjoyed the first half of Akiko's program but it somehow seemd a bit lost towards the end. She looked a little like she had an off day but I am sure she will be in great form for the Grand Prix. Her basic skating is :swoon:

Dai seems to be in great form this early in the season, happy to see him attempt two quads in the LP! The men seem to be a lot more open now than a year ago and he seems determined to give Patrick some serious competition. I like the program but I think he has had better LPs in the past. And pleeeease get rid of that costume :)

Patrick - that was painful to watch and it must have been hard for him to skate this to the end. I think it's a fantastic program, very complex and difficult. It has a lot of potential when skated better. He looked very off. I guess we will have to wait and see how he does at his next competition to know whether this was just an off day or if it's more than that.

Overall I was impressed by the quality some of the skaters have shown this early in the season. Can't wait for the GP to start!

2. Screenie

Screenie Active Member

3. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

Lurved, lurved, lurved Mao's program.

Ashley's program has a lot of potential, but to my eyes still needs quite a bit of polish. However, I felt this way about her "Black Swan" program last year at first glance, so I'm sure it will develop nicely.

I love Suzuki, but not this program. :shuffle:

Not really sure what I think of Takahashi's program. I don't think it really shows off his inherent musicality.

Kozuka's "Rondo" is vastly superior to Plushy's. Although props to Plushy for doing 2 quads and a superb 3A. The last minute of Plushenko's program was a hot mess though. All the good things in the first part revert back to the awful loose limbed flailing in the choreographed footwork sequence.

:respec: for Buttle. Amazing skating. Wishful thinking he'd want to come back next season. *sigh*

Chan's program could be brilliant, but it was far, far, far from that at this comp.

4. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Do you know, who did Takahashi LP choreo?

5. homura

homura New Member

Shae-Lynn Bourne choreographed it about one month ago in Canada.

euler likes this.
  6. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

It is so nice to see Mao skate so well! It almost brought tears to my eyes, after watching her struggle the last two years, tragedy in her personal life, etc. After she becomes comfortable with this new program, it's going to be a gem.

7. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Thank you :)

8. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Just saw Akiko's program and peacock dress. What a dress. WOW.

Mao's dress rather blah. Also, she was a bit cautious and slow but the program has potential. As always, lovely flow from Mao. She just needs some ooomph and 'guts.'

9. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

Oh my. Only now got to it. Talk about uplifting. That's uplifting in the best sense. As was previously said in the thread- exquisite.

10. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

I wasn't inclined to watch Jeffrey's program. So far this season, I have exited most vids before the program was over. BUT I AM GLAD I decided to watch Jeffrey's. What skating, what a program!!!!!

Re Chan, maybe he is attempting programs that are too difficult and complex for him now.
    Excuse the jump failures all "you" want, but very few are going to look at a program with multiple falls and think it great skating, no matter what the skater's other skating skills might be.

11. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

Buttle looked great - and a 3A!! He's really kept his skills up which is pretty impressive.

12. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

I adore Mao and I am so glad that she seems to be coming back to life but I'm not in love with her Swan Lake program, at least not yet. Hopefully her new LP will grow on me though as the season progresses.

13. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

The theme for this year seems to be 'boring...old school programs'. I'm struggling to engage in some of this stuff and find myself fast forwarding or stopping the stream saying to myself "I've seen enough...NEXT"

Don't think Suzuki's completely works but has some potential. Applause for doing something a bit different. Love Alena's dress and the music is good, too. I'd like to see that program develop.

14. shah

shah Shhh...

Buttle :swoon:
    oh, how I'd love to see him at Worlds and in Sochi...

I really like Mao's Swan Lake. Ashley's S&D - not so much, unfortunately... it seems to me S&D joins the group of overused muzaks :p.

love Akiko's costume :D.

Gede is a rockstar, even with that many jump mistakes. Leonova was a hot mess.
    Plushenko - I'm not sure if this "the best of Saint Saens" free works well, but he deserves respect for his amazing jumping abilities (2 quads at 30 - wow!).

Chan - finally, a good programme! I'm not his fan, but I'm so glad he went beyond obvious music choices, decided to skate 2 new programmes this season and expanded his artistic scope. hopefully, jumps m.i.a. was a mere blunder.

Takahashi - honestly, I'm a bit disappointed. less dancing, more dramatic arms flailing plus typical Morozovian crap costume - hmm...

15. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

That is THE DRESS of the year, so far. :glamor:

16. anna1506

anna1506 New Member

There is still a lot of things U've never seen before... :D

17. misskarne

misskarne #408

Plushenko.

What can I say? What can anyone say? For all the haters and critics and those who will belittle him at every opportunity they get, no-one can deny his greatness.

Thirty years old, and still landing two quads. Thirty years old, and adding new elements. He is truly unbelievable. I can't wait to see how this looks come Euros.

I love this program, and I love the way he skates it, with passion and fire. And no, he'll never have enough transitions to satisfy the haters :rolleyes: but there are more than there were, and put together better too. His program doesn't look cluttered or rushed. It flows.

18. ItalianFan

ItalianFan Member

very well said, my dear!

19. anna1506

anna1506 New Member

I agree!

20. Fure

Fure New Member

Yep. Definitely :swoon:

21. ratatouille

ratatouille New Member

I love Plushy's skating, he's unbelievable/

Akiko as well!!!

Love Mao's new LP. The music cut is really good as well as the costume and choreo! Good to see her back in good shape and nice smile again!

Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
  22. Doggygirl

Doggygirl Well-Known Member

Just now getting around to watching the vids. Wow. Epic Buttle! :kickass: Also excited to see the early versions of this seasons programs. It will be interesting to see how these all evolve. I will confess to missing Dai's usual hotness factor within his program. Hopefully we will see some hot Dai :smokin: in his SP? Good to see Mao. Hopeful that Ashley's program will evolve positively, and that she will get a different color dress. Suzuki is the most beautiful bird ever! :) Plush is amazing.

SA next weekend! It's finally here!

23. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

Wow ... Plushy certainly had more of a "program" at the JO this year than I've seen from him in at least 8 years.

Mao was lovely.

I would describe Ashley as having taken it to the next level. Her program is well constructed, she seems very fit, and her jump technique seems better in the air and during the landings (ie not falling).

Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
  24. lala

lala Well-Known Member

Maybe you didn't see Plushy's programs. :wideeyes:

25. lala

lala Well-Known Member

Do you wonder? Look at this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVGRZLmIEIw
    "I have never tried to stop my improvement. The duty of a top athlete is to improve the sport"

Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
  26. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

Thank you. Although I am not a fan, I respect Evgeni greatly. And I have to say that this was really moving, although the music is probably a bit too much. As for "improving the sport" - probably he has a different idea of "improvement" than other people who don't like his skating.

27. lala

lala Well-Known Member

Maybe. But if you surf on the Youtube, you will see how many people like him, and how much inspiring personality he is. And his name will be unforgettable, it will be in the sport lexicon, like a best male skater after the Second War( Mr Cinquanta). :) Nobody can't deny.

28. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

I agree with
    how many people like him
    name will be unforgettable
    will be in the sport lexicon

These are all facts

Best male skater after the 2nd world war is subjective.
    I personally don't agree - but many might.

29. lala

lala Well-Known Member

I'M curious for your aspects.

30. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

aspects?