2012 Golden Globe Nominations

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by AliasJohnDoe, Dec 15, 2011.

1. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Dornbush 2015!!!

2012 Gloden Globe Movie Nominees:
    http://blog.zap2it.com/pop2it/2011/...the-descendants-the-artist-lead-the-pack.html

Best picture - drama

"The Descendants"
    "The Help"
    "Hugo"
    "The Ides of March"
    "Moneyball"
    "War Horse"

Best picture - comedy/musical

"50/50"
    "The Artist"
    "Bridesmaids"
    "Midnight in Paris"
    "My Week With Marilyn"

Best actress - drama

Glenn Close, "Albert Nobbs"
    Viola Davis, "The Help"
    Rooney Mara, "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo"
    Meryl Streep, "The Iron Lady"
    Tilda Swinton, "We Have to Talk About Kevin"

Best actor - drama

George Clooney, "The Descendants"
    Leonardo DiCaprio, "J. Edgar"
    Michael Fassbender, "Shame"
    Ryan Gosling, "The Ides of March"
    Brad Pitt, "Moneyball"

Best actress - comedy/musical

Jodie Foster, "Carnage"
    Charlize Theron, "Young Adult"
    Kristen Wiig, "Bridesmaids"
    Michelle Williams, "My Week With Marilyn"
    Kate Winslet, "Carnage"

Best actor - comedy/musical

Jean Dujardin, "The Artist"
    Brendan Gleeson, "The Guard"
    Joseph Gordon-Levitt, "50/50"
    Ryan Gosling, "Crazy, Stupid, Love"
    Owen Wilson, "Midnight in Paris"

Best supporting actress

Berenice Bejo, "The Artist"
    Jessica Chastain, "The Help"
    Janet McTeer, "Albert Nobbs"
    Octavia Spencer, "The Help"
    Shailene Woodley, "The Descendants"

Best supporting actor

Kenneth Branagh, "My Week With Marilyn"
    Albert Brooks, "Drive"
    Jonah Hill, "Moneyball"
    Viggo Mortensen, "A Dangerous Method"
    Christopher Plummer, "Beginners"

Best director

Woody Allen, "Midnight in Paris"
    George Clooney, "The Ides of March"
    Michel Hazanavicius, "The Artist"
    Alexander Payne, "The Descendants"
    Martin Scorsese, "Hugo"

Best screenplay

Woody Allen, "Midnight in Paris"
    George Clooney, Grant Heslov and Beau Willimon, "The Ides of March"
    Michel Hazanavicius, "The Artist"
    Alexander Payne, Jim Rash and Nat Faxon, "The Descendants"
    Steven Zaillian and Aaron Sorkin, "Moneyball"

Best animated film

"The Adventures of Tintin"
    "Arthur Christmas"
    "Cars 2"
    "Puss in Boots"
    "Rango"

Best foreign-language film

"Flowers of War"
    "Blood and Honey"
    "The Kid With a Bike"
    "A Separation"
    "The Skin I Live In"

Best original score

"The Artist"
    "W.E."
    "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo"
    "Hugo"
    "War Horse"

Best original song

"Hello, Hello" ("Gnomeo & Juliet")
    "Keeper" ("Machine Gun Preacher")
    "Lay Your Head Down" ("Albert Nobbs")
    "The Living Proof" ("The Help")
    "Masterpiece" ("W.E.")

2012 Golden Globe TV Nominees:
    http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsideth...nominees-homeland-scores-cable-dominates.html

Best drama series

"American Horror Story"
    "Boardwalk Empire"
    "Boss"
    "Game of Thrones"
    "Homeland"

Best comedy series

"Enlightened"
    "Episodes"
    "Glee"
    "Modern Family"
    "New Girl"

Best actress - drama series

Claire Danes, "Homeland"
    Mireille Enos, "The Killing"
    Julianna Margulies, "The Good Wife"
    Madeleine Stowe, "Revenge"
    Callie Thorne, "Necessary Roughness"

Best actor - drama series

Steve Buscemi, "Boardwalk Empire"
    Bryan Cranston, "Breaking Bad"
    Kelsey Grammer, "Boss"
    Jeremy Irons, "The Borgias"
    Damian Lewis, "Homeland"

Best actress - comedy series

Laura Dern, "Enlightened"
    Zooey Deschanel, "New Girl"
    Tina Fey, "30 Rock"
    Laura Linney, "The Big C"
    Amy Poehler, "Parks and Recreation"

Best actor - comedy series

Alec Baldwin, "30 Rock"
    David Duchovny, "Californication"
    Johnny Galecki, "The Big Bang Theory"
    Thomas Jane, "Hung"
    Matt LeBlanc, "Episodes"

Best miniseries/movie

"Cinema Verite"
    "Downton Abbey"
    "The Hour"
    "Mildred Pierce"
    "Too Big To Fail"

Best actress - miniseries/movie

Romola Garai, "The Hour"
    Diane Lane, "Cinema Verite"
    Elizabeth McGovern, "Downton Abbey"
    Emily Watson, "Appropriate Adult"
    Kate Winslet, "Mildred Pierce"

Best actor - miniseries/movie

Hugh Bonneville, "Downton Abbey"
    Idris Elba, "Luther"
    William Hurt, "Too Big to Fail"
    Bill Nighy, "Page 8"
    Dominic West, "The Hour"

Best supporting actress - series, miniseries or movie

Jessica Lange, "American Horror Story"
    Kelly Macdonald, "Boardwalk Empire"
    Maggie Smith, "Downton Abbey"
    Sofia Vergara, "Modern Family"
    Evan Rachel Wood, "Mildred Pierce"

Best supporting actor - series, miniseries or movie

Peter Dinklage, "Game of Thrones"
    Paul Giamatti, "Too Big to Fail"
    Guy Pearce, "Mildred Pierce"
    Tim Robbins, "Cinema Verite"
    Eric Stonestreet, "Modern Family"

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  2. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

Gee, the HFPA sure loves its big stars don't they? Some of the nods are very well deserved though!

3. soxxy

soxxy Guest

Yes, they do, but I don't think there's any outcry yet, like last year's nominations for Angelina Jolie and Johnny Depp for The Tourist. :lol:

4. Aaron W

Aaron W New Member

I've been wanting to go see The Artist, but still haven't made it to the theater yet. It has noms for best picture, best actor, best supporting actress, best directing, best screenplay, and best original score.

5. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

They got her to the Globes again this year! They nominated her Bosnian War Movie for Foreign Language Film... :shuffle:

6. CynicElle

CynicElle Well-Known Member

Happy to see "American Horror Story" get a couple of nods; I've developed a really unhealthy obsession with that show and would totally buy that house if I had four million to spare. :cheer: for Jessica Lange!

7. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Jolie filmed her movie in two versions: One in English and one in Bosnian. It's actually not a bad idea for the Bosnian version to be in the Foreign Film category since the movie (either version) won't get mass appeal in the U.S. due to the subject matter. It has a better chance for Oscar nomination in that category also.

Madonna's song is nominated, so maybe it has a chance for the Oscar also. It's not a bad song.

8. soxxy

soxxy Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2011
  9. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I'll laugh my butt off if the Oscars get over their Madonna-hate and actually nominate her for Best Song for W.E. after the horrendous reviews the film has gotten. I'll totally lose it if she wins.

I doubt she'll be nominated though because her Austin Powers song won a Grammy for Best Song and it was nominated for the Globe but was not nominated for the Oscar in favor of that insipid Music of the Heart song. She also had another chance with "Die Another Day" in 2002 but was passed over for that song from Frida that even director Julie Taymor forgot she wrote. (I remember in the post-nomination interview Julie Taymor was talking about all the congratulations she got on her Oscar nomination and she was like 'no, I wasn't nominated for Best Director' and then realized she was nominated for Best Song and remembered that she wrote a song for the ending credits).

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  10. RomyNL

RomyNL Well-Known Member

My favourite new shows Revenge, American Horror Story and New Girl are getting some recognition!!!

CynicElle and (deleted member) like this.
  11. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Didn't Elton John call "Die Another Day" the worst Bond song. EVER ? :lol:. It's not a song of hers that I would have on my ipod.

Of all Madonna's movie songs, I think "Into The Groove" and "Live To Tell" should at least have been nominated. I think the new song "Masterpiece" is pretty enough that member of the Academy might consider it, and they also want to draw in more audience for the telecast if Madge actually take the stage.

12. VIETgrlTerifa

"Die Another Day" definitely has a mixed reception with people loving/liking it or thinking it's sub-par. I personally liked the song but thought it was out-of-place and even distracting in the Bond opening credits. The video kicks butt though.

13. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

:lol:That all being said, I'm one of those who will be glued to my TV for all the fashion and :watch: worthy moments. I wonder if anyone will boycott this year because of Ricky Gervais hosting again?? January will be a good month, Canadians, Golden Globes and The Iron Lady! Yes I'm a rather large nerd but at this point at least it's something! :lol:

14. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

It's on mine :)

My favourite Bond song of all time is the Chris Cornell song though.

15. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Yes for Episodes---I didn't know if anyone was watching this show. And I'm happy to see nominations for Damian Lewis and Clare Danes for Homeland. I would really like to see Kenneth Branagh's work soon. And I'm glad that Midnight in Paris was not forgotten.

16. riveredge

riveredge Active Member

To be fair, Producers Guild of America will honor the movie (Stanley Kramer Award). Films previously receiving the Kramer award include The Great Debaters, An Iconventient Truth, Hotel Rwanda and Antwone Fisher. I've heard some good reviews from the people who have watched the movie already. :p

17. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I wish Lange wasn't nominated in the Supporting Actress category. She has to compete with Maggie Smith!

Look at those Best Actor Drama nominees. HOT HOTTER AND HOTTEST!

18. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

I wasn't hopeful after the SAG noms, but not only am I thrilled, but it's also helped me feel a wee bit better today after a rough two days...YAY for Viggo and his Best Supporting Actor Nomination!!!

You all *had* to know that was coming from me, right? ;) Seriously, I've heard nothing but good things about his turn as Freud in A Dangerous Method. Both from the Critics *and* friends of mine who have seen the movie. Sadly, my run of getting to see Viggo in a Cronenberg movie in the Theatre opening night will end w/ADM, as no way it'll end up coming to where I am. A shame too, as Cronenberg movies are ones I feel need to be seen on the Big Screen, but that's JMO too.

Best Actress looks like it's going to be an interesting race leading up to the Oscars. I could care less about Best Actor, as I just don't get the fuss over Pitt or Clooney, as I've never felt they've disappeared into any of the roles I've seen them in. I'd like to see Leo get some love though, as those I know who have seen the movie were blown away by his performance and I do believe he does actually "act" his roles, so...

As I said, that's JMO so please don't hurt me.

Also YAY for both Dame Maggie Smith and Betty White's respective nominations. Way to prove that just because they're lovely ladies of an advanced age (My hoot of a much older cousin's way of saying it. :D ) doesn't mean you still can't act. And in certain cases, act your much younger over hyped co star under the table to boot!!

On the TV side of things...Just as equally thrilled for Damien Lewis' nomination as I am for Viggo's. I have loved him in anything I've seen him in and this has been a very long time in coming. He's so creepy good in Homefront and so happy for him. Also happy his co star Claire Danes got a nom as well for her work in the show, as it's the both of them playing off of each other that makes me tune in to see what happens next.

The Best Actress in a Mini Series or Made for TV Movie reads almost like an Oscar nomination listing. It is wonderful though that the TV isn't as good as big time Movies stupidity is finally over and done w/. Not only do we get to see great material performed by people w/the ablity to truly perform it, but those performers also get a chance to be doing great roles regardless of the medium. Win win AFAIC.

Sigh...I *love* this time of the year. :D

19. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

So happy that Hugo did well. Fabulous film!

20. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

The World Is Not Enough by Garbage is, IMO, definitely the best Bond song of all time.

I do like the Cornell one, too, though :)

21. reese

reese Well-Known Member

Glee and New Girl over Parks and Recreation? As if!

22. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

Janet McTeer!!! :cheer2: Romola Garai!!! :cheer2:

No one has commented on Ryan Gosling being nominated in both actor categories? :lol: He was hilarious in Crazy, Stupid, Love but I have yet to see The Ides of March.

Great set of nominations all around. At first glance, I don't see any that I rolled my eyes at. Although I thought Mildred Pierce was in last year's awards season?

23. VIETgrlTerifa

I think Mildred Pierce premiered this past spring, so it was too late for the Globes to nominate it last year.

24. screech

screech Well-Known Member

I have to say, it doesn't bug me at the Globes because the acting is all grouped together, but the Downton Abbey acting nods annoy me (in general) this awards year (Emmys, SAG) because it's been up for 'miniseries/movie' yet the show has been picked up for a second season, and therefore is NOT a miniseries or movie. I sincerely hope, no matter how good it is, that it's not eligible for nominations next year, because of this.

I'm kind of surprised there was nothing for Melancholia, since Kirsten Dunst won the best actress award at Cannes. I kind of get it because of Lars Von Trier's comments at Cannes, but being a giant douchetard doesn't mean it wasn't a spectacular film.

And also... where the hell is Community?

I get why the big stars are there - the Globes aren't a serious show - it's basically just a party where stars hang out and get drunk. Also, the HFPA was first organized so they would have more 'clout' and easier access to stars. So of course they want the big stars there so the news outlets will still have easier access to said stars. It's just a bunch of journalists praising the celebrities whose good side they want to be on. Hence 'The Tourist' last year.

25. MarieM

MarieM Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover

I so hope The Artist is gonna get at least something. I love that movie to pieces !!

26. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

Agreed! If it wasn't for Zoe D's "acting" nomination (I find her unwatchable in this role), this is the most bizarre situation of all the GG announcement. P&R, Community, 30 Rock, Raising Hope ... any of these would be worthy nominations. Oh well, nobody will win anything for a while, anyway ... there is a Chan situation going on in comedyland, as critics are collectively, deeply, and unabashedly in love with Modern Family.
    Yes, this has an easy path for years for some series [mostly British, as it's the norm there for shorter seasons] to gobble up "movies/miniseries" noms and awards against largely ignored American network movies. :huh: Which begs the question -- how are these shows "miniseries" different from US cable offerings with similarly-short seasons like American Horror Shows?

27. VIETgrlTerifa

Maybe a show has to have at least 13 episodes to be considered a season. Downton Abbey has 10 while shows like The Sopranos, Six Feet Under, Damages, etc. have 13.

28. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

The Tudors had 10 episodes each season, so I doubt that's true.

29. VIETgrlTerifa

^ Then I truly have no idea

30. NinjaTurtles

NinjaTurtles Teenage Mutant

No Best Drama nomination for Breaking Bad!?

I don't understand the critical love for Glee as a comedy when Louie, Parks and Rec, 30 Rock, Curb Your Enthusiasm, It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia, and Community are available options.