2012 Fall TV Season - new and returning show

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Artemis@BC, Aug 21, 2012.

1. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

I might pan it as well. We shall see...

:p
    gkelly and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Dang... I did it again. :slinkaway

My bad, Arrow is on now and have decided that I like it already! :cheer2: Which of course means it will not last long. :(
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  3. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

I can't wait for Nashville tonight and I'm also recording Chicago Fire even though the reviews I've seen haven't been that great. I'd rather decide for myself if I'm going to enjoy a show and since I do like Jesse Spencer a lot, I want to give his new show a chance. Gotta watch Nashville live though! :biggrinbo
  4. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Haven't watched it yet, but the CW will almost always keep a show for at least the rest of the season.
  5. HeatherC

Well, I've now watched both Chicago Fire and Nashville and for now, the winner is Nashville by a landslide (dang, that show was awesome! Connie Britton is SUBLIME and the supporting cast is great too. New fave show! :D) but I liked Chicago Fire enough to keep watching it. I was expecting it to be awful from the reviews I'd seen but I thought it was decent for a pilot. Hope they flesh out the characters more in future episodes and they really did do a great job with the fire scenes. Decent night of TV after a rough day overall for me and right now, I'm very glad I don't watch anything else on Wednesday nights because this 10 PM hour is going to keep me slightly busy, LOL :lol:
  6. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

I thought Nashville was not bad, but I didn't love it. I generally like the characters (and that will trump all) but I don't find any of the potential storylines all that compelling so far. And maybe my musical taste does suck (I mean, I have One Direction's CD), but I thought Hayden sounds better than Connie. I did like the final song, even though the Taylor Swift wannabe kinda bugs.

Arrow was fun. The cast is very appealing. I did not know Susanna Thompson is in this show. LOVE. HER. But they need to get rid of the voice overs. Oh my, so bad.

And I am not the biggest Modern Family fan (I have it on while nuking something for dinner), but that lesbians vs. gay men storyline was FANTASTIC.
  7. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

Nashville was great! The mayoral run storyline threatens to tip it over from great drama into Dallas territory (and don't get me wrong, Dallas - at least the original one - was fantastic, it's just more soap than drama), but overall I'm impressed! will definitely be watching.

And Powers Boothe does make a compelling JR figure :rofl:
  8. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I LOVED Nashville! Lots of great characters, interesting storylines, great writing, and the music was fantastic!

In case some hadn't heard - the creator/executive producer/writer of this ep is Callie Khouri, who won and Oscar for writing Thelma & Louise. :respec:

Sorry Bachelor Canada, you just got bumped off my schedule.
  9. Evilynn

Evilynn ((Swedish skating dudes))

I kinda like Elementary, even if it's no way near as good as BBC's Sherlock. JLM is always good, and I quite like Lucy Liu as well. Since CBS has moved The Mentalist to some godforsaken late Sunday night slot, I guess I might need to replace my normal procedural next season anyway. :lol:

Since Revolution got a full season I suppose it might be safe to start watching it. :shuffle:
  10. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

I liked it, but I did have trouble keeping some of the characters straight -- Randy vs. Deacon (and even Teddy wasn't very different looking, just in different kinds of scenes), the two younger guys at the cafe, even Scarlett vs. Juliette in the first act. I'm sure I'll catch on eventually, but it would be easier if there were sharper contrasts in the physical appearance of the actors and the ways they're styled.

And some of the music was intentionally not really fantastic. :)
  11. Impromptu

Impromptu Well-Known Member

I checked out both Arrow and Nashville, and enjoyed them both, although I'm not sure if either will continue to be must watch for me. Arrow seemed like a meld between Hamlet and Batman - didn't think it broke any new ground in the comic book genre, but I was entertained. I just wish there had been more humor. Or, any humor.

I watched Nashville for Connie Britton, and she did not disappoint. I'm not really a fan of soap operas though, so the genre was working against it. I'll watch a few more times though - I liked the music storylines better than the family/political ones.
  12. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Yeah, the "nearly all men have short brown hair and similar builds" trope was a bad idea. The first time I watched the pilot, I had no idea whom Juliette turned away at the door OR whom she was straddling on the sofa. :lol:

On the other hand, considering that the real Nashville's only three surefire female hitmakers at the moment are all blonde, I found the women's appearances kind of fitting!
  13. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Funny I usually go through the same thing with new shows, but I had no trouble sorting out who's who and their relationships to each other with this one!
  14. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

I only watched it once, so I still don't know. :D
  15. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Juliette turned away the record producer at the door, Randy. He is Rayna's producer as well, and she went storming over to his apartment about the way the record company was jerking her around, and while he confessed he's working with Juliette too, Rayna didn't realize she was listening from his bedroom. It seems clear they were both sleeping together for career advancement, with Juliette dumping him in favour of ...

Deacon, Rayna's long time band leader and guitarist, who Juliette was straddling at the end. She had previously tried to woo him away from Rayna to work with her, and also approached him at the Bluebird saying she wanted to record the song he had played. Deacon and Rayna have a complicated history - she never recorded his songs because they're mostly about her, and it sounds like one of her children might be his.

:)
  16. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

Add me to the list! I want the generic guys to wear name badges or stupid hats or something. :shuffle:

Tuned in because of Connie Britton and the music angle (I love some country music and hate some of it too). :p

I went immediately to iTunes after the show to download "If I Didn't Know Better".

I've started watching Revolution, but it's not keeping my interest. It's like The Hunger Games without lights or makeup.

Love Last Resort, but honestly, Andre Braugher could read the phone book and I'd watch.
  17. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Maybe one of them can grow a beard...

I guess I'm interested in a career-focused plot centered on women, with the men as backup players and eye candy, since so much of popular entertainment has been the opposite.
  18. Wyliefan

If things keep going the way they've been, they could wear nametags that say "Juliette's Ex #1," "Juliette's Ex #2," "Juliette's Ex #3" . . . :D
  19. A.H.Black

A.H.Black Well-Known Member

Anyone watch "Beauty and the Beast" tonight? I probably won't be back. This version lacks the romance of the Linda Hamilton/Ron Perlman version.

I think the only reason I found it was because "Scandal" was pre-empted tonight by the debate.
  20. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

I did not really like it either. But it's not bad while I cook dinner. While I liked Beauty, the actor playing the Beast was beyond boring.
  21. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Me three. I loved the original and Ron Pearlman the best! Plus he was always in the beast character. This guy changes and is rarely in beast mode, so the show just feels like a copy of a couple existing shows. The new B&B feels... :blah:
  22. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

I quite liked Beauty and the Beast. The original was a favourite, although I gave up on it after a couple of years. With the new version, I wasn't expecting to like Kristin Kreuk for some reason (I know very little about her other than she was on Smallville - which I did not follow). But I liked her, and the male lead as well, although no matter what he does, he will never be Ron Perlman. But nobody could fill Mr. P.'s shoes, IMHO! :) The highlight of this re-boot is that finally there's some genuine romance on TV!!! :cheer2: :cheer: There were a couple of deliciously slow, tentative, tender moments between the two leads that were wonderful. Can't wait for more moments like these! :respec:
    rfisher and (deleted member) like this.
  23. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

The Hamilton/Perlman "Beauty and the Beast" was unique.
    I agree that no one will match him in the role.

I adore the Cocteau movie, also.
  24. star_gazer11

star_gazer11 practising choreo

I had no interest in Nashville, but to my surprise I liked it. I checked it out for Chip Esten, of Whose Line fame. Thank you Colin Mochrie for tweeting about it, never would have tuned in otherwise. :lol:
  25. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Finally watched Arrow. Loved it!!! :cheer2: :D Great story-telling, lots of twists and turns and so much story to tell still. Likeable characters...or interesting if not likeable. Loved the parkour/Ninja Warrior aspects, which made it exciting. And Stephen Amell (as the title character) makes for very pleasurable viewing. :swoon:

Nashville was well done, but I don't like anyone on the show. Overall, the theme of the show is a real downer. Lots of hurt and/or lousy people doing hurtful, negative things to one another. Plus they didn't even bother to showcase all the great eye candy in any way. Makes me think a heterosexual male was the director. :lol: I won't be watching episode two.
  26. Wyliefan

See, I'm seeing that as a plus. TV has a way of making me love characters and then putting them through the wringer and breaking my heart. I'm thinking that a little detachment, so I don't even care if they get hurt or do colossally stupid things, may be just what the doctor ordered. :)
  27. A.H.Black

A.H.Black Well-Known Member

I didn't love like you do. Since it's on on Friday (and I don't like much else on Friday) I may watch for a while.
  28. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

There is a walking dead marathon on today. Does that mean the new season starts soon?
  29. TygerLily

TygerLily Well-Known Member

There are articles about The Walking Dead S3 all over the entertainment blogs, so probably. :)

I liked Nashville, too. I didn't know what to expect and was hesitant since I strongly dislike whatsherface (Juliette/The Cheerleader), but it turns out that's okay since she's not a likeable character. It's like how I only like Kira Knightly when she's playing a unlikeable character.
  30. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

You betcha! Come join us in the FSU Walking Dead thread. :D
  31. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

could anyone make out anything from sasha's suicide note on 666 park ave?
  32. ssminnow

ssminnow Active Member

Something about her father being evil.
  33. HeatherC

Something about how she couldn't take it anymore and one part that we could see clearly was "He's evil" but the rest went by too fast. I'm still watching this show but I'm honestly still not sure how I feel about it.
  34. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

666 Park Avenue...it feels like it's trying to be a couple of different shows all at once. there are some truly creepy scenes but we have to endure dopey subplots like the philandering husband (who looks way too much like Justin Timberlake in The Social Network) who simply cannot resist the wiles of the comely blonde across the street and his oblivious wife.
  35. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

I am still enjoying 666 Park Avenue, although I don't love it. I wonder if watching three shows with twisting mythologies in one night is just too much. Contrast that with my Monday schedule, which is 90210, Gossip Girl and Revolutions.

I don't know any of these characters' names yet. The suicide note makes me wonder if Vanessa Williams is trying to ruin John Locke. While Locke tries to raise Sally Field's son as his protege, Wilhelmina Slater is going to get Charlie's Angel on her side. That'll be a very interesting battle.

The tenant of the week plotlines bore me. I hate procedurals. Get rid of them.
  36. MarieM

MarieM Well-Known Member

666 Park Avenue is beginning to feel a lot like Rosemary's baby. Creepy. Will I keep it ?

Nashville is a good surprise considering I don't care for country music :)
  37. my little pony

i cant wait until this emily owens pilot airs. the commercials are on my last nerve. specifically, i cant stand how this streep spawn delivers her lines. when she says in a super cloying voice that she is bad with names, i have a strong desire to punch her.
  38. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Probably just one snippet that sounds annoying edited into it's only little bit. Gummer was amazing on The Good Wife, so I can't wait to see more of her. :cheer:
  39. my little pony

there's also the commercial where she gets into and loses a fight to a tween. she doesnt come across any better in that snippet.
  40. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Honestly, my little pony. I'm sorrow that Zinnemann chose Streep for "Julia" instead of you. Get over it already!!

:p