2012 Fall TV Season - new and returning show

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Artemis@BC, Aug 21, 2012.

1. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

One of my fav guilty pleasures (3 cute guys! and a girl that kicks ass)- Hawaii 50 starts it new season tonight. I saw an online preview with a cargument with McG, Danno and McG's mom - questioning Danno just like Steve - it was hilarious. Can't wait for the new season.

2. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

We watched the Modern Family premiere tonight (loved how they handled the pregnancy) and kept the TV running after. The Neighbors was on next and my bf both rolled our eyes at the ridiculousness of the idea of this show. Wouldn't you know we spent the next 30 minutes laughing the entire time. It really IS dumb but they embrace that and give you lots of funny moments in the mean time. I will actually tune in again. It wont be a weekly thing for me but if I happen to be flipping through and find it on then I am sure I will watch it.

3. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

I was PML at the elephant and gorilla on top of the car in Modern Family. Laugh out loud funny. Any Sons of Anarchy fans? Three episodes in and Kurt Sutter is a freaking genius. And he totally changed the Hamlet dynamics by killing off Horatio (Opie on the show). I cried and was screaming No, not Opie, but I've read Sutter's reasons and he's just a genius. This show totally deserves the emmy nods it is not getting for writing, directing and acting. Really a shame.

4. gingercrush

gingercrush New Member

The lack of real acclaim for Sons of Anarchy has been rather mind-boggling. The show has never been given what it deserves.

5. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Caught up with Vegas last night. Not great, but not bad -- will have to give it another go, but will probably be a "watch if I'm home but don't make a special effort" list.

On the positive side: Dennis Quaid, Jason O'Mara, Michael O'Neill, generally good writing, and a nice overall look.

On the negative: cowboys, mobsters, stock & predictable characters, and Carrie-Ann Moss (how does this woman still get acting job?).

6. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I enjoyed the episode.
    Lots of material for more drama (eg: who is Doris McGarrett working for?)

7. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I gave up on Hawaii 50 after the North Korea thing. Plus this whole McGarrett who killed Mama/Papa drama, or tried to because they are not really dead is just dragging on toooo long.

8. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I watch it sporadically, so pretty much ignore the ongoing storylines and just sit back and enjoy what's going on in that ep.

9. gingercrush

gingercrush New Member

Hmm talking about Sons of Anarchy. I see Johnny Lewis who played Kip was in a murder/suicide. Tragic.

10. znachki

znachki Active Member

Elementary premiere tonight. But I don't know if I can stay up to watch it. 10pm is past my bedtime. :shuffle:

11. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

"Last Resort" keeps popping up on best lists and is on in ten minutes and here I am so I think I'll watch...

12. galaxygirl

galaxygirl Ma name's Beckeh

I saw that earlier. :(

13. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

Well, I know it's still kind of early but I think I'm all ready hooked on Last Resort. Andre Braugher and Scott Speedman are awesome and the rest of the cast seems good too. I really like it so far! :)

Sassafras and (deleted member) like this.
  14. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

No idea why what's happening on Last Resort is happening, but it is intense and waaaaaaay better than Revolution. I hope the writers have excellent scripts to come because this is the most watchable new show I've seen so far.

15. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

I don't know if anyone is watching this, but Major Crimes has been renewed for 15 episodes next year. I'm a tad bit obsessed with Mary McDonnell right now, so I'm happy for her.

16. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Last Resort was lots of fun! And Scott Speedman is still so dreamy. Although I don't understand any of the military mumbo jumbo. Had this show been on CBS, I would not have given it one shot but I have faith in ABC. That final epic monologue by Andre Braugher was intense!

17. Flatfoote

Flatfoote Active Member

Uh oh. ABC? The network that many say means "Already Been Cancelled?" Let's hope this show manages to survive the network's hatchet.

18. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

I didn't know Happy Endings, Cougartown, Modern Family, Revenge, and Once Upon a Time were cancelled!

Yes, GCB (unfairly, IMO) and Pan Am (well, I know the show had its fans here but ugh...) were cancelled and that is why I'm not gonna watch Scandal and Presidouche.

But every network cancels stuff.

Except CBS. CBS never cancels any of their boring crime shows. Yay for CBS, I suppose.

19. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

watched the premiere of Elementary tonight - it's a high brow version of The Mentalist!

Seriously, though, some of Holmes' pronouncements were a bit too fast and too pat, but lurve the interplay between him and Holmes. Lucy Liu is great in this! And nice to see Aidan Quinn landed another good cop role after last season's super fantastic and sorely missed Prime Suspect.

it's weird hearing Eli Stone/the First Mr Angelina Jolie speak with his real accent though :lol:

20. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

H 50 - Love the episode as well. The truck getting hijacked - LOL!
    I think Wo Fat is awesome. He was McG's nemesis in the original show, I think for all the show - could happen again??? Speculation that he is Doris' son as well??
    Christine Lahti was great - apples don't fall far from trees, Steve is so her son!
    But poor Chin! Kono -- kicks ass as always. (my fav of hers in the past - jumping onto the other side of an elevator and catching the bad guy, and in last season's opener - she's kidnapped, tied up, in the trunk, her coworkers are not worrried about her being missing, and she saves herself!).

Saw Person of Interest - good start. Michael Emerson is just amazing. I did love when John when telling the neo nazis that he is looking for his 1 friend and Lionel gives him a look, and he corrects it to 2.

21. KHenry14

KHenry14 Well-Known Member

Five-O has gone through too many changes/storylines....and yet it's still fun to watch. Now on our third female cast member (beside Kono), Danny's ex- wife and daughter part of the cast, now not.

But the producers are making a lot of use of the great scenery of Hawaii, and the core cast really does well together. So despite all the missteps, the show works.

22. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

I taped it, but wasn't sure I'd bother watching it. I think I will, now. I hope I like it as much as you did! I like Aidan Quinn.

23. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

It's probably difficult/expensive to have actors commit to basing themselves in Hawaii for long periods.

I enjoy the show for what it is.
    I also love the interplay between the characters.

24. Bostonfan

Bostonfan Well-Known Member

For those that missed it (including me), it's re-airing tonight. Check local listings. The premise didn't interest me, but based on the good feedback I'm going to check it out.

25. Artemis@BC

Enjoyed Last Resort very much. From the promos I though it was going to be all in the sub, and couldn't figure out how that would work for multiple episodes. But the "Resort" being the island ... plus all the scenes in Washington ... yes! Great acting, great concept, and a great look. I'm on board!

The only things I didn't like were the obligatory black-underwear scene with the Washington military chick, and Dichen Lachman's "meaningful glances" scenes. I'm sure both will develop though, and there was after all a lot of content to deliver in the first episode.

Recorded but haven't watched Elementary yet, will check it out tonight probably.

26. KHenry14

KHenry14 Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure the CBS PTB got their mitts on the show and tinkered with it too much. And despite that, the show survives and thrives.

27. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

I'm sorry - Last Resort's ratings were so bad that I fear the show may be cancelled very, very quickly.

Mob Doctor also looks like it's going to go.

Elementary's ratings were quite strong, so that one may be a keeper.

28. Artemis@BC

La la la I can't hear you ....

What made them put it at 8:00 though? This is definitely a 9:00 or 10:00 show.

29. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Such a great ep! I about died laughing when John did his "ALL YOUR DOG ARE BELONG TO US" act.

30. jeffisjeff

jeffisjeff Well-Known Member

Not surprising. The premise sounded soooo ridiculous that I didn't bother with the premiere. I had second thoughts after reading the reviews here, and hearing that it would be repeated tonight. But, if I happen to be lucky enough to be plopped in front of the TV at 9pm tonight (ha, not going to happen!), I'll be watching the season premiere of Fringe instead. :cheer: