2012 Fall TV Season - new and returning show

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Artemis@BC, Aug 21, 2012.

1. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

I really wanted to like Revolution, but it was a big disappointment. I'll give it one more shot, but if it doesn't improve I'm crossing it off my list. Poor writing, predictable plot, ridiculous costumes, bad casting .... I love a good post-apocalyptic story - but this was very poorly done.

2. zaphyre14

zaphyre14 Well-Known Member

I liked "Revolution" enough to stay awake through it, which is more than I can say for a lot of shows that start at 10:00 PM. :) I also like "Copper" but that's easier because I'm catching it on Saturday night when I'm usually a little more alert than on a weeknight. Although since it follows "Dr. Who" on what used to be BBC America's "Supernatural Saturday" I keep wondering when the aliens or werewolves are going to show up.

I am really looking forward to the new season of "NCIS" (especially now that I know Ducky is alive) and to "Survivor."

3. znachki

znachki Active Member

You actualy watch shows at 10pm? :eek: Even the ones I like don't keep me awake. I timeshift anything at 10 :D

:lol: I like what I've seen of Copper - but I have to catch up on that. What I'm really liking, is that BBCA has been making strides to actually being - you know - British again after the Garth Ancier debacle.

But what about Tim McGee? :yikes: We don't see him in the preview except for the shot where it looked like he took the windows in the face. I'm sure he'll ultimately be OK, but as far as I can remember he's the only team member who has never really been injured. He is due.

4. nlyoung

nlyoung Active Member

I was rolling my eyes at how in only 15 years the miles of cement and metal would have been completely covered by thick vegetation...

5. LadyNit

LadyNit moving right along Staff Member

Morning glory vines. All over...in less than a year. :p

6. zaphyre14

Kudzu and wisteria take over my yard in a season if I let them. And an empty house down the street looks worse than the scenery on the show and it's only been up for sale for the summer. Nature takes over quickly if unchecked.

Just because there's no electriciy doesn't mean people can't keep their clothes clean. It just takes longer and is more work.

But in any case, it's fantasy. I don't quibble about unrealism in fantasy. I liked the twist at the end of the episode. It caught my attention at least.

Dancing with the Stars and The Amazing Race are back soon! Life is Good! :)

7. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

The pilot of Revolution wasn't bad in itself -- I liked the twist at the end too -- but it wasn't good enough to keep me watching. Too formulaic. The Girl Who Must Save Her Family, The Saintly Dead Mother, The Conflicted Member of the Enemy Forces, The Rough-Edged Hero with a Heart of Gold, etc., etc., etc. If I just wanted to look at a bunch of archetypes, I'd go read TV Tropes.

8. nlyoung

nlyoung Active Member

I assume you don't live in the Chicago area ;) Harsh winters in the north keep these insane plant species pretty much under control in Canada, and we have a similar winter to Chicago. I agree that this would certainly be plausible in warmer climates, just not here. Native plants just aren't as invasive.

9. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

You left out the part where all the bad guys had bad aim and was not very bright. LOL The twist in the end is the same twist The Event had so it's nothing new. This show might as well be a continuation of The Event.

There is a documentary about what will happen to all our "stuff" if we were to disappear called "Life After People". It may help us understand the show a bit better.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_After_People
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBtHICMmDJk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

10. zaphyre14

I live in New England. There are invasive species everywhere.

11. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, and the part where, even though they outnumbered the hero, they politely took turns fighting him instead of all jumping him at once. :lol: I love how that always happens in TV and movie fights.

12. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

:HA!: I have seen vines grow practically before your eyes - in a matter of days and certainly weeks they can swallow whole trees, not to mention wreck havoc with siding, eavestroughs, concrete and pavement.

And I live in Canada.

13. Norlite

Norlite Well-Known Member

I live in Ontario. You should see my back gardens after just one summer of my working 80 hours a week meaning too little time to keep it completely under control.

I could only imagine 15 years of this.

14. nlyoung

nlyoung Active Member

I stand corrected :)

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  15. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

I got excited when I saw Revenge listed for next Wednesday: I was hoping they'd changed their minds about moving the show to Sunday. But no, it's a recap episode, and the regular season premier will indeed be Sunday the 30th.

Thank goodness for 2 DVRs and late-night repeats for PBS, Knowledge Network, Bravo, and Showcase -- otherwise I don't think I'd manage with everything that's on on Sundays!

I am happy to have the recap for Revenge though, there are some things I'll definitely want reminding about.

16. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

So true. I try to empty out my DVR on weekends, to not get far behind, and then Sun pm and too many shows on at the same time. Why do they do that?
    My Sun shows include (various times of year): Amazing Race, The Good Wife, Homeland, Mad Men, some masterpiece theatre, the Borgias, Celebrity Apprentice.

17. Artemis@BC

My Sundays include Revenge, Once Upon a Time, The Good Wife, Over the Rainbow, Masterpiece, various BritDrams on Knowledge Network, and Mythbusters.

And to further add to the Sunday overload, I just noticed that PBS will also be carrying Call the Midwife starting on Sept 30. I'd spotted this in a DVD catalogue and just sent an acquisition recommendation to my library for it, but now I have a backup plan. It's about midwives in working-class London in the 50s, and was one of the highest rated new dramas when it aired in the UK. It stars a lot of familiar British actors: Vanessa Redgrave, Pam Ferris, Judy Parfitt, Jenny Agutter, and Ben Caplan (token male ;)).

18. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

My last reference to Revolution I promise. LOL I thought those interested in what things would look like after fifteen years of being dormant would like to watch this video. This is Norwich Mental Hospital which was abandoned in 1996 and is the focus of many ghost stories. LOL It still stands abandoned today.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pu3e-rjES3o&feature=youtube_gdata_player

19. Bostonfan

Bostonfan Well-Known Member

For those of you with Showtime, don 't forget Homeland starts on Sunday 9/30! At least with that, there's always On Demand if there's too many things to record.

20. gingercrush

gingercrush New Member

Call the Midwife is a wonderful series. And in some ways eye opening.

21. sk8pics

sk8pics Well-Known Member

Mythbusters is in reruns right now, right? I was thinking their new season starts in January...

22. Artemis@BC

Mythbusters on DiscoveryCanada is several months behind, for some strange reason. The new season just started for us a couple of weeks ago. But their "seasons" seem to be very short, I'm not really sure where one begins and another ends. I just know they're new episodes for us.

23. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

Finally got to watch Revolution. I liked it. I can overlook all the little things like the clothes and the hair and even batteries not working and stuff like that, as long as the story keeps me interested I'll keep watching. I'm interested to see how Miles buddy became the leader of the militia. But the one thing that bothers me ... they specifically said that Daniel is 19 years old, which makes Charlie about 22-23. No way do I buy her as a 23 year old ... she looks like she's 30. :lol:

24. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

I'm in for the season. I do find it sometimes confusing and sometimes annoying in the apparent inconsistency of accents and period language, but I'm willing to overlook that as long as the basic stories and characters are intriguing.

Yeah, there are too many shows I want to watch on Sundays and hardly any the rest of the week. Thank goodness (and $$) for on-demand.

I haven't yet made an effort to find out what all the new shows are this year. Anything worth seeking out? I mostly prefer stories with season-long arcs rather than episodic, and the higher quality of writing and acting on shorter-season cable shows.

25. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

Nashville which will air on Wednesdays for ABC is getting great reviews and has the wonderful Connie Britton on it too so I'd look into that one if I were you and see if it's something that interests you. I can't wait for that one to start although it doesn't debut until October 10th. I hate waiting! :(

gkelly and (deleted member) like this.
  26. A.H.Black

A.H.Black Well-Known Member

27. Flatfoote

Flatfoote Active Member

Has anyone questioned why we see all the power go out. A long line of cars gone suddenly dead, and a sequential blinking out of all the headlights on those cars.....yet the airplanes that are falling out of the sky still have their lights on.

Of course it's that way for dramatic effect, so we can see those planes falling out of the sky. But really, if the car's lights have all gone out, then the planes shouldn't have had any working lights either.

28. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Well the show's creators promised us answers later so I guess we have to hope the show lasts long enough to provide them. LOL

29. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

30. Artemis@BC

I'd almost forgotten about that one, probably because the first "season" was so short. I really enjoyed it though, so am looking forward to its return. Hope they do a recap though, I can't quite remember all the twists & turns.