2012 Fall TV Season - new and returning show

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Artemis@BC, Aug 21, 2012.

1. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Spin Alissa Spin!!!

2. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Those are not good numbers but I enjoyed watching it nonetheless.

3. AliasJohnDoe

4. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I have to admit that I am a little disappointed in the Bomb Girls last episode. That episode made a rather lame attempt to deal with the subject of racism. Lorna's daughter brings home a date who happens to be Indian but the only thing the guess notice is his religion. "He's a doctor! Who cares if he's from a different religion?!" Really?! But instead every episode talks about the tough lot of Italian Canadians. Disappointing.

5. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

I agree, that was very badly done. And for Lorna, the biggest issue she had with Dr Patel wasn't even race or religion ... but the fact that he knew she'd had a miscarriage even tho he has no idea there was anything out of the "ordinary" about the pregnancy? Huh? That just didn't make sense at all. Bad writing. But then again, they've handled race rather poorly from the beginning in this show, other than Marco and the Italian issues. The fact that race is a complete non-issue for the workers at the factory is completely unbelievable for that time period. And no one has any snide or racist remarks to make about an Indian doctor at the hospital? I don't think so.

However, there were other good things aobut this episode. Especially Betty. She's definitely my favourite character now. I don't necessarly agree with everything she does, but she does it all with conviction.

I also liked how they evolved Gene in a single episode from "total testosterone ass-hat" to "guy using bravado to hide his true conflicted feelings about war." That was well done. And it was a good episode for Vera too.

6. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Is anyone planning on watching The Americans on FX? I kept seeing the previews during American Horror Story and it looks quite interesting. I set it to record so I can see if I like it.

7. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I for one am looking forward to it.

8. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Deception fails as a guilty pleasure because I feel no guilt for taking pleasure in this show. Love it, except for stoopid Will the supposed super duper FBI agent. Get rid of him. Everyone else is fabulous. I have no idea who killed Vivian.

9. AliasJohnDoe

10. AliasJohnDoe

11. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, it's no surprise that UFC would beat skating in the ratings.

12. AliasJohnDoe

13. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

The Americans was pretty good. I know almost nothing about the Cold War and/or early 80s Americana, so a lot of it went over my head. And I pretty much avoided any descriptions about the series--didn't know it was gonna be about a couple of KGB agents pretending to be Americans until 20 minutes into the show. I just read "Felicity is a Spy" in one of the posts here so I was gonna watch at least the Pilot out of loyalty. I'll keep watching for now, despite my penchant to avoid edgy tv shows on edgy tv networks starring edgy actors.

14. BigB08822

I liked The Americans. They set it up well to have a good run with the FBI guy moving in the neighborhood. There should be plenty of interesting missions and stuff to keep the action alive. I find it interesting that the female character is the hardcore bad-ass. Its good to see a strong female lead but I wonder how long they will let her play that part before she needs saving?

15. Sassafras

Sassafras Well-Known Member

It was very unrealistic to me that an FBI agent would have told anyone that he's an agent, particularly a brand new acquaintance.

16. AliasJohnDoe

I liked "The Americans". Great cast. Looking forward to next week.

The '80's background music. :swoon: ("The Carrie Diaries" pilot did a lot of '80's background music as well.)

17. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Oh Shoozzzzz I forgot! :wuzrobbed

18. AliasJohnDoe

19. AliasJohnDoe

20. Artemis@BC

I didn't see the show (don't get FX), but why is that unrealistic? Being an FBI agent isn't secret like CIA. I could see some FBI agents being somewhat circumspect about revealing their job in the same way that some municipal police officers are, just because people often get weird or squirrely about being around cops. But there's no reason at all why an FBI agent can't reveal what he does for a living if he wants to. It is part of the normal conversation when you meet someone, after all -- "So, what do you do for a living?"

21. Sassafras

Sassafras Well-Known Member

I don't recall the exact wording but he elaborated and mentioned the counterintelligence unit and going after Soviet spies. Doesn't seem to me to be something one would mention.

22. AliasJohnDoe

I'm sure it will be repeated one night on FX before the next new episode ("AHS" repeated on Fri or Sat night).

I think you'll enjoy it. And listen for the '80's music.

23. BigB08822

I just don't think he was undercover in his job in any way. He was a guy who sat in a nice cozy office and sent other people to do the dirty undercover work. He used to do that work but seems to have been promoted to this position in D.C. In reality I doubt someone would have been so specific about their position but I don't think he was violating any rules by saying what he did.

24. AliasJohnDoe

25. AliasJohnDoe

26. AliasJohnDoe

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  27. emason

emason Well-Known Member

28. znachki

znachki Active Member

Since the original post on Zap2it - it has been edited to reflect that this is the "lowest-rated in-season premiere of any any 4-network scripted program this season EVER". :eek::yikes:

29. Artemis@BC

^ Glad I didn't even waste the electricity to record it then.

Mostly I was avoiding it because I knew it could never be even remotely close to as good as Jekyll. Or even as good as that short-lived series with Jason Isaacs, Awake.

30. AliasJohnDoe