2012 Fall TV Season - new and returning show

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Artemis@BC, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

This one wasn't on my radar at all ... but I just found out that John Barrowman will have a recurring role, so I might just have to watch.

2. Artemis@BC

Season premier dates for return shows that I care about:

Parenthood - Sept 11
    Castle - Sept 24
    Modern Family - Sept 26
    Big Bang Theory - Sept 27
    Grey's Anatomy - Sept 27
    Once Upon a Time - Sept 30
    The Good Wife - Sept 30
    Revenge - Sept 30

3. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Good grief. You & I could not be more different because I care for none of those. I stopped watching Castle awhile go. Here are some of the shows I am eithe watching or looking forward to.

Copper
    Blue Bloods
    Person of Interest
    Grimm
    Arrow
    2 Broke Girls
    Revolution (on probation)
    Raising Hope

Gone but not forgotten, and fondly remembered by me: :lol:
    Pan Am
    Terra Nova
    NYC 22
    Alcatraz

4. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Whoo! Come sit by me. I always feel like I'm to get lynched for calling the new BSG the pretentious crap that it is....

I sort of like Castle still, but I'm waiting to see how it jumps the shark after the season finale. I just don't trust the writers at this point to pull this off well. It'll either be someone gets cold feet so we can go back to status quo or the dynamic's dead.

5. Artemis@BC

Yeah, usually when a long & drawn out "will they or won't they" turns into couplehood before the end of a series, you can expect all kinds of stumbling blocks, misunderstandings, and related sillyness. Friends, Gilmore Girls, Big Bang Theory to name just three have all gone down this road with varying degrees of success.

I'm trying to remain optimistic about Castle, but time will tell. It's not must-see TV for me, but I do generally enjoy the tone & approach. Though for me, I find the prospect of the continuation of the super-sekret conspiracy plot (re: Kate's mother etc.) to be far more worrysome than what might or might not happen with Rick & Kate as a couple.

6. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Just watched Go On. Aww, it was sweet. The part where the older woman put the cake box over the picture frame...well, it got to me.

7. KHenry14

KHenry14 Well-Known Member

Perception is one of those shows that is likely to be retooled/recast because there is something worth saving there. Eric is the type of actor who can carry a show by himself for a time, but he's going to need more help than he's currently getting.

I'm very optimistic for the future of Go On. There's a certain charm to it that is very appealing.

But drek like The Last Resort can't be saved by Andre Braugher. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for a good submarine story, but the plot on this disaster makes no sense at all. I predict 4 episodes before it's cancelled.

8. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

:huh:

I thought the trailer ws brilliant. I can't wait for this one!! :cheer2:

9. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

I am looking forward to Last Resort as well. Braugher's great but for me, it's all about Speedman. Felicity and Ben Forever!

10. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Yeah I thought the Last Reort didn't make any sense to me either. Probably not gonna last long.

11. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Been watching Legend of the Seeker on Netflicks. Looks really good! Anyone remember it from a few years ago?

12. KHenry14

Well, here's the plot, tell me if you think that after reading this:

The show is about the renegade crew of a United States Navy Ohio-class ballistic missile submarine, the fictional USS Colorado (SSBN-753), that defies an order to launch nuclear missiles towards Pakistan, a decision that costs the commanding officer his job when he refuses to follow out the orders without an explanation or official confirmation. When his replacement also questions the same orders, the vessel is fired upon without warning and the crew are left for dead. Realizing that they have been declared enemies of their own country, they set up camp on the fictional island of Sainte Marina, and declare themselves a sovereign nation with nuclear capability. At the same time, the crew must find a way to prove their innocence and find out who set them up so that they can return home to America.

Ridciulous with a capital R! :eek:

13. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

:confused: Did you get to see a preview of the pilot already? I won't get to see it until the show debuts on September 27th. :wuzrobbed

:huh: It's a show on ABC (not the documentary channel). If The Last Resort rates so high on your "ridiculous" scale, where would you place Star Trek, True Blood, Dexter, Once Upon A Time, The Twilight Zone, Glee, Lost, The Walking Dead.......

14. KHenry14

Actually some of those are ridiculous to me, but that doesn't mean they aren't entertaining. :) But the difference to me with The Last Resort is it's intent. It's not trying to be sci-fi, vampire, supernatural, or anything not based in reality. It's trying to be a gritty drama based in real time environment on a submarine. To do that, you have to have some plausible scenario to make the drama work. This one doesn't work that way, it's just some made up junk that lacks that authenticity that this style drama demands. Setting up a new sovereign nation?? Really?

Essentially this show took the plot of the Gene Hackman/Denzel Washington movie Crimson Tide and expanded it in a bad, non-sensical way. JMHO

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  15. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

No, I just saw the trailer.

16. RomyNL

RomyNL Well-Known Member

I'm still grieving the loss of these two too...

17. MarieM

MarieM Well-Known Member

I am in denial about Alcatraz. I want it back ! :(

18. KHenry14

Alcatrazz, Terra Nova and Terriers from the season before are all lamented by me. :(

19. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Nice to see Terra Nova has so many fans. Oh well... I am gonna buy the DVD soon hopefully. BTW Does anyone know when Person of Interest will be back?

20. Artemis@BC

Did anyone watch part 1 of Coma last night? I don't usually hold out a lot of hope for A&E mini-series, but I did record it last night and will try to catch up before part 2 airs.

I have only a very vague recollection of the book ...

21. star_gazer11

star_gazer11 practising choreo

:cheer2: September 27! :cheer2:

22. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Just watched the pilot of "The New Normal". OMG, fantastic! I have it on season pass.

23. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

By fluke I caught a few minutes of Matthew Perry's show. Something about mocking a woman who works as a counsellor for Weight Watchers? How could I have loved "Friends" so much, but have gotten to the point that even a few minutes of a Matthew Perry program will keep me from getting a good night's sleep? :wuzrobbed :drama:

I thought that premiered tomorrow (Tuesday)?

24. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Grimm is on hiatus until September 28th. :wuzrobbed

25. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

It was on CTV last night. But it will be on NBC tonight.

As for "Go On", I hope you give it one try. Perry's character was talking to his grief counselor, who admitted that her counseling experience amounted to her time at Weight Watchers. I found the show kinda touching and sweet.

Although I am an avid Happy Endings uber, I think a Go On/New Normal/Parenthood combo will be irresistible.

26. KHenry14

I thought the premier ep of "Go On" shown during the Olys was really good, poignant and funny. Plus, Matthew has a bunch of sports stars and references in the show! Notice the Jonathan Quick jersey in the background? Matthew is a huge fan of the Stanley Cup champion LA Kings and of Jon Quick in particular.

We will see tonight if the pilot was just a one shot thing or can they sustain the quality.

27. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

I actually watched the first two episodes of Go On and enjoyed them very much. I refuse to give up my Happy Endings though (I adore that show!) so my recorder will get even more of a workout if I choose to keep watching it. I'm all ready having to record Chicago Fire (will be watching Nashville live...Connie Britton!!) and Revolution (will be watching Hawaii Five-O live....or vice versa, I haven't really decided between these two shows yet! :p) plus I get home late from youth group on Sunday nights so Once Upon a Time is all ready on the schedule to be recorded every week. Why did so many things get scheduled on the same nights this year??! I really don't watch a lot of TV overall anymore so this is ridiculous. :yikes:

28. Artemis@BC

Finally watched it online. I didn't think it was fantastic, but I did enjoy it far more than I thought I would. Definitely a keeper, so far anyway. My biggest criticism was the Nana character -- Barkin was great, and she had some fabulous lines ... but it was far too 2-dimensional. I'll give it time though, it often takes a while for that kind of character to be "real."

It was also driving me nuts where I'd seen Bryan before, then right at the very end I figured it out: he was the original Elder Price in The Book of Mormon. (And as an aside ... when I checked imdb for his other credits, I see that a movie version of BoM has been announced :cheer2:, and Rannells is rumoured to reprise the role.)

29. Artemis@BC

I also tried watching World without End, which just started airing on Showcase in Canada. I didn't have very high expectations ... but even those were not met. Forced myself to watch to the end of the first episode, but that was plenty. Ugh.

(And who was the deluded casting agent who thought Cynthia Nixon could pull off an even remotely passable English accent? :rolleyes:)

30. znachki

znachki Active Member

Finally read all the posts in the thread.

So far - loving Grimm, sad to have to wait for more.

Can't wait for NCIS

Like The New Normal, but I agree with Artemis about Nana. I think she would be far more effective if she was dialed back a bit. But hey, it's brought to you by the Glee folks, so no surprise that it's a bit OTT. And speaking of Glee. ere it is only hours from the season debut, and no one has started a Season 4 thread?? Wow!