2012 Fall TV Season - new and returning show

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Artemis@BC, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Been watching Legend of the Seeker on Netflicks. Looks really good! Anyone remember it from a few years ago?
  2. KHenry14

KHenry14 Well-Known Member

Well, here's the plot, tell me if you think that after reading this:

The show is about the renegade crew of a United States Navy Ohio-class ballistic missile submarine, the fictional USS Colorado (SSBN-753), that defies an order to launch nuclear missiles towards Pakistan, a decision that costs the commanding officer his job when he refuses to follow out the orders without an explanation or official confirmation. When his replacement also questions the same orders, the vessel is fired upon without warning and the crew are left for dead. Realizing that they have been declared enemies of their own country, they set up camp on the fictional island of Sainte Marina, and declare themselves a sovereign nation with nuclear capability. At the same time, the crew must find a way to prove their innocence and find out who set them up so that they can return home to America.

Ridciulous with a capital R! :eek:
  3. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

:confused: Did you get to see a preview of the pilot already? I won't get to see it until the show debuts on September 27th. :wuzrobbed

:huh: It's a show on ABC (not the documentary channel). If The Last Resort rates so high on your "ridiculous" scale, where would you place Star Trek, True Blood, Dexter, Once Upon A Time, The Twilight Zone, Glee, Lost, The Walking Dead.......
  4. KHenry14

Actually some of those are ridiculous to me, but that doesn't mean they aren't entertaining. :) But the difference to me with The Last Resort is it's intent. It's not trying to be sci-fi, vampire, supernatural, or anything not based in reality. It's trying to be a gritty drama based in real time environment on a submarine. To do that, you have to have some plausible scenario to make the drama work. This one doesn't work that way, it's just some made up junk that lacks that authenticity that this style drama demands. Setting up a new sovereign nation?? Really?

Essentially this show took the plot of the Gene Hackman/Denzel Washington movie Crimson Tide and expanded it in a bad, non-sensical way. JMHO
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

No, I just saw the trailer.
  6. RomyNL

RomyNL Well-Known Member

I'm still grieving the loss of these two too...
  7. MarieM

MarieM Well-Known Member

I am in denial about Alcatraz. I want it back ! :(
  8. KHenry14

Alcatrazz, Terra Nova and Terriers from the season before are all lamented by me. :(
  9. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Nice to see Terra Nova has so many fans. Oh well... I am gonna buy the DVD soon hopefully. BTW Does anyone know when Person of Interest will be back?
  10. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Did anyone watch part 1 of Coma last night? I don't usually hold out a lot of hope for A&E mini-series, but I did record it last night and will try to catch up before part 2 airs.

I have only a very vague recollection of the book ...
  11. star_gazer11

star_gazer11 practising choreo

:cheer2: September 27! :cheer2:
  12. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Just watched the pilot of "The New Normal". OMG, fantastic! I have it on season pass.
  13. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

By fluke I caught a few minutes of Matthew Perry's show. Something about mocking a woman who works as a counsellor for Weight Watchers? How could I have loved "Friends" so much, but have gotten to the point that even a few minutes of a Matthew Perry program will keep me from getting a good night's sleep? :wuzrobbed :drama:

I thought that premiered tomorrow (Tuesday)?
  14. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Grimm is on hiatus until September 28th. :wuzrobbed
  15. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

It was on CTV last night. But it will be on NBC tonight.

As for "Go On", I hope you give it one try. Perry's character was talking to his grief counselor, who admitted that her counseling experience amounted to her time at Weight Watchers. I found the show kinda touching and sweet.

Although I am an avid Happy Endings uber, I think a Go On/New Normal/Parenthood combo will be irresistible.
  16. KHenry14

I thought the premier ep of "Go On" shown during the Olys was really good, poignant and funny. Plus, Matthew has a bunch of sports stars and references in the show! Notice the Jonathan Quick jersey in the background? Matthew is a huge fan of the Stanley Cup champion LA Kings and of Jon Quick in particular.

We will see tonight if the pilot was just a one shot thing or can they sustain the quality.
  17. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

I actually watched the first two episodes of Go On and enjoyed them very much. I refuse to give up my Happy Endings though (I adore that show!) so my recorder will get even more of a workout if I choose to keep watching it. I'm all ready having to record Chicago Fire (will be watching Nashville live...Connie Britton!!) and Revolution (will be watching Hawaii Five-O live....or vice versa, I haven't really decided between these two shows yet! :p) plus I get home late from youth group on Sunday nights so Once Upon a Time is all ready on the schedule to be recorded every week. Why did so many things get scheduled on the same nights this year??! I really don't watch a lot of TV overall anymore so this is ridiculous. :yikes:
  18. Artemis@BC

Finally watched it online. I didn't think it was fantastic, but I did enjoy it far more than I thought I would. Definitely a keeper, so far anyway. My biggest criticism was the Nana character -- Barkin was great, and she had some fabulous lines ... but it was far too 2-dimensional. I'll give it time though, it often takes a while for that kind of character to be "real."

It was also driving me nuts where I'd seen Bryan before, then right at the very end I figured it out: he was the original Elder Price in The Book of Mormon. (And as an aside ... when I checked imdb for his other credits, I see that a movie version of BoM has been announced :cheer2:, and Rannells is rumoured to reprise the role.)
  19. Artemis@BC

I also tried watching World without End, which just started airing on Showcase in Canada. I didn't have very high expectations ... but even those were not met. Forced myself to watch to the end of the first episode, but that was plenty. Ugh.

(And who was the deluded casting agent who thought Cynthia Nixon could pull off an even remotely passable English accent? :rolleyes:)
  20. znachki

znachki Active Member

Finally read all the posts in the thread.

So far - loving Grimm, sad to have to wait for more.

Can't wait for NCIS

Like The New Normal, but I agree with Artemis about Nana. I think she would be far more effective if she was dialed back a bit. But hey, it's brought to you by the Glee folks, so no surprise that it's a bit OTT. And speaking of Glee. ere it is only hours from the season debut, and no one has started a Season 4 thread?? Wow!
  21. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

22. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

^ I can't wait!! I so hope this show does not disappoint!
  23. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I will check it out but I do not expect much and doubt very much this thing will last more than a season.
  24. MarieM

MarieM Well-Known Member

Revolution is just my new show. I am dying to see the second episode since the first one can be found everywhere :)

I hope it won't get canceled and that they'll give time for the story to developp without going nuts in the conspiration theories !
  25. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

I feel like such a nerd - I got the new tv guide this week with the previews of all the new shows and programmed my tivo for all the ones I want to try. I'd feel even more pathetic if I weren't so eager for the new shows. :shuffle:
    Bostonfan and (deleted member) like this.
  26. MarieM

MarieM Well-Known Member

Do you think they'll order Alcatraz back ? I want it back :(
  27. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I watched the Coma miniseries this weekend. zOMG it was SO terrible! Not even so-bad-it's-good, just bad. :lol: the writing, the direction, the props budget - they must have blown their budget on landing Ellen Burstyn (who was the only good thing about the series - and she was GREAT), Geena Davis, James Woods and Richard Dreyfuss, because everything else about the production was cheap.

Geena Davis is now married to a plastic surgeon, and I'm sorry to see he's been experimenting on her. A lot. :(

I already saw the pilot for Revolution - wish tonight had the 2nd ep already. Maybe I'll watch it again though. I really like it - in the same way I really liked The Event and FlashForward, so my best hope is that they let the show finish the season when they cancel it next month :(
  28. Bostonfan

Bostonfan Well-Known Member

You're not alone. I do the same thing every year! I love this time of year when you can sample a bunch of new shows and fervently hope that a few will hook me!
  29. Artemis@BC

Yeah, I read similar reviews on imdb. So I didn't feel the least bit disappointed when I missed recording the 2nd part (I had assumed it would air a week later, but apparently it was the next day). That's 4 hours of my life I didn't waste! But I feel for those who did ... ((genevieve))

Like I say, I didn't have very high hopes anyway. When was the last time A&E had any decent "original" programming?
  30. Artemis@BC

My favourite must-see-TV show comes back tomorrow night: The Rick Mercer Report. :cheer2:

And as a preview, he (Rick) was on Peter Mansbridge One-on-One yesterday, and will be the inagural guest on Strombo's new 7:00 half-hour show tonight. You can't have too much Mercer IMO. :D
  31. HeatherC

OK, I'm intrigued by Revolution and will definitely be watching again next week although there wasn't enough Elizabeth Mitchell in it for this fangirl, LOL :p
  32. jeffisjeff

jeffisjeff Well-Known Member

Is her role recurrent, i.e., is mom not really dead?
  33. HeatherC

They keep saying that she's only going to appear in the flashbacks but they actually recast this role because they were able to get her for it and said that things changed once they did that so I have NO idea if the mother is really dead or not. Wouldn't surprise me if she's out there somewhere and a key to the whole mystery. Why do you hire Elizabeth Mitchell for a role if there's not something awesome about it?! :p
  34. Norlite

Norlite New Member

Wiki described her character as "Is said to have died in the fifteen years........."

I wondered then if she was still alive somewhere.
  35. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

you can never have too much Elizabeth Mitchell :shuffle:

I feel bad for the original actress though. "thanks for playing, but we got the actress we actually wanted now kthxbai"
  36. JJH

JJH Well-Known Member

The only thing that kept me going on Terra Nova was cheering the dinosaurs on to devour each and every one of the vastly stupid homo sapiens. Oh, Revolution, how I wish they could be transported to your domain. It is one freckle-faced urchin short of being unwatchable.
  37. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

:lol:
  38. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

I have to admit that at one point I thought, "PLEASE don't let this be one of those 'stupid people doing stupid things' shows". Surely after 15 years, the herd would be weeded out of most of the stupid? But there are a few characters that give me hope. Plus the two young males are so extraordinarily handsome that they will keep me around for at least a couple of extra episodes (than other shows might). :grope: :lol:

By the way, what does everyone think about the show being centred around Chicago? All these people have remained in this spot because of it's mild winters where one simply needs to throw an extra log on the fire to ward off that slight chill in the air? :p

I love how everybody loves her. I'm hoping hubby gave her all the info she needed as a safeguard, then they faked her death. She will end up being the leader/saviour of the world. All hail Queen Elizabeth! :D
  39. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Chicago seems to be popular with tv writers right now - Mike & Molly and Happy Endings are also in Chicago.

But lol about the winters. I can see Minnesota (where one assumes the village might have been, since they passed through O'Hare before getting downtown) perhaps for the fishing and foraging.

My beef, other than some of the bland casting and not great acting, was that everyone had to have a million torches and candles on. Unless they're all saving fat to make candles but the bulk, and have found a magic kerosene source, you'd think they'd conserve a little, no?
  40. Catherine M

Catherine M Well-Known Member

My biggest problem with Revolution was the actress playing Charlie. Girl can NOT act. Plus giving her perfect hair and clothes doesn't make any sense. Can't they put her hair in a ponytail to make it half way plausible. Or give her some split ends!?!

And I totally think they left it open for the Mom to be alive and the key to getting the power back on.