2012 Fall TV Season - new and returning show

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Artemis@BC, Aug 21, 2012.

1. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Dornbush 2015!!!

2. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

3. AliasJohnDoe

4. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I am surprised that Once Upon a Time is getting more viewers than Revenge. I have almost given up on Once Upon a Time. I realize that the story is never going to end as long as the show is running. The Queen will always be there, Rumple will always be causing trouble, etc. Yeah, you meet new characters but for me the fun is over. The 1st season was great but I guess a repeat with a slightly different story line doesn't appeal to me for season 2. I am still recording it but when I watch them I hardly pay attention. Revenge, however, still sucks me in and the plot is changing so much as the story progresses. Much more interesting and fast paced. I guess I just feel that Revenge has so many layers and so much more potential to keep it interesting.

5. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Once Upon a Time has always had more viewers, so not a surprise. It's also more family oriented and appeals to more demographics.

I enjoy Revenge more, but I have to say that OUaT has been fantastic this season. Last season, there was a noticeable dip in quality in the middle of the season, as if the writers did not know what direction they wanted. The introduction of new characters this season has been a lot better too--no real snoozers like Cinderella or the Genie or Grumpy from last season.

6. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

I'm having pretty much the opposite reaction. Revenge has become essentially a soap, IMO. I'm finding the "layers" contrived, too heavily reliant on conspiracies and other elements of a world that only seems to exist in TV land. And the characters' motives are completely unrelatable. I am still watching, and still enjoying ... but it's very much a guilty pleasure for me.

Once Upon a Time, oth, continues to entertain on a much deeper level for me. To be fair, because it's a fantasy they don't have to play by the same rules of believability as Revenge -- but even within that context I find it more "realistic." And certainly more relatable, as it addresses more universal themes. And, with only a couple of exceptions, the level of acting is far superior to that on Revenge.

Obviously neither show is as "fresh" as it was in the 1st season, but that's a given -- nothing can stay consistently fresh over 30+ episodes.

7. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

Once Upon a Time has become my absolute favorite show this year and while I still love Revenge, it hasn't grabbed me as much as OUAT has this season. Things are still similar to last season on Once but they've added some layers to it and I feel like the writers & producers know exactly where they want the story to go this year. Revenge is starting to feel disjointed and like they're still trying to figure out what stories they want to tell. I still enjoy it but I feel like I'm waiting for something to happen all the time and the filler crap is not entertaining me at all. The last few episodes were better overall but dangit Emanda, you need to do something big soon! :eek:

That all being said, I am VERY happy to see both Once and Revenge doing well on Sunday nights (Once especially is doing REALLY well which thrills me) and I think that's one of ABC's strongest nights of programming this year. I may have to start recording Revenge though because I'm sometimes not quite over what happened on OUAT by the time Revenge starts and it's really hard for me to focus, LOL :lol:

8. AliasJohnDoe

9. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I actually followed it on CNN. :p

10. AliasJohnDoe

Me too!!! They have great election coverage.

But I had to flip the channel to FOX NEWS "now and then" just for the pleasure of hearing them whine, bitch and dole out excuses. It was very satisfying and entertaining.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  11. AliasJohnDoe

12. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Fox seems to have done embarrassingly well.

13. emason

emason Well-Known Member

The Sandra Lee of news networks.

14. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Nashville was awesome again! I really like the complexity of the characters - in the first ep, there seemed to be clear good guys and bad guys, but with each week, we see more and more of what each person is really all about. Love love love!

15. emason

emason Well-Known Member

Me, too. My absolute favorite show at the moment. To me it really highlights just how not so good and how hokey (for me, at least) Revenge actually is. I hope Nashville stays around for quite some time.

16. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Do anyone know when or if Bomb Girls will be back?

17. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I'm still enjoying Revenge, but you're right, for a good character story, Nashville leaves it in the dust. And unfortunately, that leaves us with all the annoying plot points on Revenge that I was otherwise putting up with because I was enjoying the characters and overall story.

Revenge needs to do some work on its main characters to strengthen them - with all this initiative crap, there's a danger that it's just one big "shocker" after another until it becomes more and more ridiculous. And the soppy Gullible Brothers storylines are not the answer.

18. emason

emason Well-Known Member

I wish I could enjoy Revenge again, but something isn't working for me. Season 1 didn't flow seamlessly into Season 2 for me; somewhere there was gear shift and I feel it went off the rails. Agree that Gullible Brothers are not helping matters at all.

19. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

There was a shift for sure - suddenly we have a big focus on Emily's mother, characters like Aiden and Padma are completely new and we're spending time in Nolcorp for the first time, the initiative is back in a big way and yet strangely absent are the feds who were trying to bring Conrad down, Daniel is almost a different character and his relationship with Ashley has come out of nowhere, and Declan acting completely out of character has introduced a new character and SL no one cares about.

20. nlyoung

nlyoung Active Member

My husband and I did the same thing :lol: The amusement factor was very high... ;)

21. AliasJohnDoe

22. AliasJohnDoe

23. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Definitely yes, another 12-episode season has been confirmed. As for when, probably early in the new year (the 1st season started in January).

Saw a posting somewhere about Rosie O'Donnell guest starring in at least 1 episode. Could be great, could be ... :eek:

Global is repeating season 1 right now (episode 3 this Friday) -- I'm not watching the whole thing again but will try to catch the last couple of episodes to remind myself before season 2 starts.

24. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Copper came to an end this past weekend and I loved every minute of it. Hope it gets renewed!!! :cheer2:

25. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

Lots of talk about Revenge and Once Upon A Time. I was pretty sure there were threads for both those shows, so I just checked. Here's the link to the FSU thread on Revenge:

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?83999-Revenge-Season-2

It is now five pages long. There is also a thread for Once Upon A Time. The link for this show is:

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?84589-Once-Upon-a-Time-S2-The-Magic-Returns

The Once Upon A Time thread is also five pages long, so lots of discussion happening for both of these two programs.

26. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

We were discussing the ratings of both shows and since those ratings are posted in here I think the conversation was appropriate. Go have a drink, Peter!

27. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

:lol: Have two! I thought maybe some posters might not know there was lots more discussion available to them. It's possible someone appreciated the links. :p

28. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

Chicago Fire gets picked up for a full season: http://tvline.com/2012/11/08/chicago-fire-gets-full-season-order/ :cheer: (I still want Jesse Spencer to stop using that fake American accent and start using his awesome Aussie one but that's my only minor issue with this show. It's gotten much better than the pilot so I'm happy to see it get a full season. :))

Now if they would just make decisions about Last Resort and Nashville. I love both of these shows (especially Nashville) and I hate waiting for news about them. I also like 666 Park Avenue but that one might need to borrow some magic from OUAT to survive and I don't see that happening. I'd still like to know though so come on ABC! :eek:

29. AliasJohnDoe

30. AliasJohnDoe