2012 Fall TV Season - new and returning show

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Artemis@BC, Aug 21, 2012.

1. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Dornbush 2015!!!

2. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I love Blue Bloods and Grimm so I hope the doesn't mean they are in danger. :(

3. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

4. star_gazer11

star_gazer11 practising choreo

Yep, I'm pleasantly surprised for Chip. So glad I randomly saw a tweet from Colin telling people to tune into the show. He is the reason I even checked it out in the first place, :cheer: not Connie or Hayden.

5. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

OMG! I knew it!!! I knew Corky's Partner had something to do with his wife's disappearance!!!
    Copper is the best show on television! :cheer2:

6. AliasJohnDoe

7. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

I had no idea that was him until I read it online after the premiere. He is one talented guy! I loved his duet with Connie too. The chemistry was off-the-charts.

8. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Finally catching up after my holiday. Late Sept / early Oct is my favourite time of year to travel ... but it does tend to create havoc with the new TV season! :D

Arrow is just too derivative and two-dimensional for words ... but I have to keep watching until John Barrowman shows up. :shuffle: The interwebs are saying he's introduced in episode 5. So not long to wait now.

Tried Beauty and the Beast. I expected it to suck. I was not disappointed.

Tried Vegas and Nashville. They didn't suck ... but neither did they have enough to compell me to watch again. (I tend to be an all-or-nothing kind of gal with most TV series.)

The one new drama I'm on the fence over is Last Resort. I love the original premise, and Braugher and Speedman, and I even like the defence contractor chick in Washington. But I despise the military macho bravado, and the sense of entitlement of the Americans colonizing the island.

So ... if I do end up ditching Last Resort, that will mean the only new series this year that are keepers for me are both comedies -- Go On and The New Normal. Which is highly unusual for me, as I find good American network sitcoms very rare indeed. These two new series tend more toward the "cute" and "sweet" than the LOL funny, but that's ok.

(I did try The Mindy Project, and while I really like Kaling, and was not turned off in any way by the characters or stories, there was not one single laugh in the 3 episodes I watched. It is supposed to be a comedy, right?)

9. Bostonfan

Bostonfan Well-Known Member

Friday night is the graveyard for original programming. So the numbers don't need to be stellar on Fridays since it's accepted as a low viewership night. DVR usage on Friday nights will raise those numbers for sure.

10. AliasJohnDoe

11. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Very happy for Arrow and think the show will get better with time.

12. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

YAY for the Once and Revenge ratings! :biggrinbo I think ABC has found a winner with putting those two shows back to back on Sundays (although it does strain my brain sometimes when they're both really busy and twisty, LOL :lol: ) and 666PA is getting much better than it was when it started. I hope they give that one a little bit more time to find it's footing because it's becoming a pretty decent show. :)

Yeah, they were amazing together and FYI, I just read earlier tonight that their duet is going to be available on iTunes tomorrow!! :cheer2:

13. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Agreed. It's on against some tough competition. I record The X-Factor, watch Survivor on the spare TV and my Mom records Arrow for me and we watch it together later. It's the favourite now show for both of us. John Barrowman is just a bonus. :)

14. AliasJohnDoe

15. AliasJohnDoe

16. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

This early in the season, I wonder if that's more a reflection of people really watching something else, but recording these shows just in case they get some buzz and they want go back and catch up. I watched the first Revolution then recorded a few more just in case it got better, but then erased without watching for example.

17. AliasJohnDoe

18. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

How reliable is the "TV By The Numbers" Cancellation Index?

19. AliasJohnDoe

20. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

Same here. I liked the premise, but between the bad acting by the female lead and the stupid plots, I gave up. It had promise, but turned into this year's Terra Nova for me. :scream:

21. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

But I loved Terra Nova! :(

22. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

revolution needs a very special episode where giancarlo esposito kills that boring girl

23. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

And her equally annoying brother.

24. Sassafras

Sassafras Well-Known Member

^^^^^
    I watched the first half hour of the first show and have had no further interest in it. I never saw Terra Nova for comparison.

25. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

That makes one of you. :p

26. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

I still like Revolution but I don't take it too seriously which helps a lot. :p

27. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I know there was another fan of the show around here somewhere. LOL

Arrow tonight was fantastic! Did not like ex-girlfriend until tonight's show when she displayed some cool moves of her own. LOVE the fact that our hero has his mom to answer to. LOL

28. gingercrush

gingercrush New Member

I really liked Terra Nova too. The problem with that show is it was big budget with lost-like aspects and yet most of the focus was the family. Considering non-comedy family dramas don't do that well then what do you expect.

29. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

As I was at Skate America, I am quite behind my television. I have not caught up with Arrow, but did with Nashville.

Nashville is not perfect by any means. That final song last week was so wonderful that I had to Youtube the song--and it sounded awful. I am having trouble believing that Connie Britton is this fantastic singer. And I am sure the actor playing her father is some renowned actor as he seems awfully familiar, but whatever--he can't act. I assumed that Connie's sister was making all that crap about their mom up, because the dad is behind it all and it'd be so lame if it's true. Ugh. I was also confused why it took Hayden's mom so long to track her daughter down. It's not like Hayden is Sydney Bristow. I can barely tolerate the druggie mom storyline, but the Winona Ryder storyline? OMG, lame. Who are these celebrities whose careers went down the tubes because their parent is a drug addict? As long as said celebrity doesn't fall down the same path, the public would only be sympathetic.

And three episodes and already three love triangles. I also dislike the Taylor Swift character. I have no idea why there are two hot dudes in love with this mentally slow person. I don't buy that she is some poet as I don't buy she knows how to spell.

Do I like stuff? Yes. Besides the dad and Taylor Swift, I enjoy the acting. I like the characters seem like adults.

In other news, Happy Endings makes me happy. As does Go On and The New Normal.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
    dbell1 and (deleted member) like this.
  30. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I just got caught up on Nashville - on the one hand I love it! I love the Rayna story, the tension between her marriage/family life and her long ago/still burning flame, and her dealing with being an aging superstar dealing with a pesky rising star. I dig Juliette Barnes and her ego and her ambition. She makes a good villain, especially because we gets to see moments of true vulnerability. And I love Scarlett and Gunnar and Avery. I'm guessing Rayna and Juliette will be fighting for the rights to record ScarGun's song from Ep 1 (with Deacon of course) before too long.

What I DON'T love is how the show is piling on too much too soon. Let the drug addled mom make occasional interruptions from time to time but don't make her the focus yet. And it's completely unbelievable that Juliette would go from avoiding her completely to letting her stay in her house! :lol: Rayna's daddy, Lamar, has been watching too many episodes of Dallas. It's too bad Powers Boothe does not have a mustache, because I keep expecting Lamar to start twirling one :p The less said about her feckless husband, the better.

And the shoplifting storyline? Predictable and stupid. Just the fact of Juliette shopping in a store by herself - before we even got there I was wondering if Nashville was so rife with country stars that even the biggest crossover singer in the nation could stroll down the aisles without getting mobbed.....oh. [/unwieldy plot device]

I thought Juliette Barnes was the Taylor Swift character. Scarlett is awsome!!!!