2012 Fall TV Season - new and returning show

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Artemis@BC, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

I know, I'm not AliasJohnDoe ;), who I'm sure will come and launch this thread properly ... I just wanted to get it started because I spotted that two new "fall" comedies are piloting tonight. I'm particularly interested in Go On, because I figure that one of these days Matthew Perry has to have some good luck with a series!

That's followed by Animal Practice, which could be hilarious or could be really stupid.

Go On is on NBC (and Global in Canada) at 10:00, Animal Practice at 10:30. (The NBC site actually has the Go On pilot listed for Sept 11, so tonight is probably a sneak peak.)

In terms of returning shows, circle Sept 30 on your calendar: that's when Revenge, Once Upon a Time, and The Good Wife all come back. (Though, again, why on earth did they have to move Revenge to Sundays? There's already a ton of good stuff on that night!)
  2. lurvylurker

lurvylurker Active Member

I just discovered that Grimm returned last week - I almost missed it! Luckily my PVR got it. :)
  3. galaxygirl

galaxygirl Ma name's Beckeh

SyFy is commissioning two pilots, one from Bryan Fuller and one from M Night Shyamalan. The one from Fuller, called High Moon, looks more interesting to me.

http://scifistorm.org/2012/08/02/syfy-pilots-series-from-bryan-fuller-m-night-shyamalan/
  4. sk8pics

sk8pics Well-Known Member

I watched about 10 minutes of the preview episode and turned it off. Ugh!
  5. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

I watched the preview of "Go On" during the Olympics, and while it could probably get old after a while, I was amused enough to watch the whole thing.

I'm just sitting here waiting for the season premiere of NCIS, what with the cliffhager. Now, it helps to know
    the whole cast has had their contracts renewed and in particular that "Word of God" is Ducky is not dead
    but I'm still on tenterhooks.
  6. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

:angryfire

Where are the polls?
  7. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

You know--normally you see a lot of previews during the summer but I must have missed them. The one show I'm not thrilled about---Elementary---is the one that I see regularly. CBS must be banking on that one.
  8. Artemis@BC

Go On wasn't bad. A bit clumsy and rushed to introduce everything, but the ending was a good pay-off. (Though I'm thinking I'm being more charitable toward it because I like Matt Perry so much.)

I gave Animal Practice about 5 minutes before turning it off. I did record the whole thing though so I might go back to it to see if there's anything worthwhile there.

But I'm very excited about a "new" (to me) series coming to Knowledge Network in BC: Miss Fisher Mysteries. I've read a few of Kerry Greenwood's novels and thought they would make a good TV series. If for no other reason than I love drooling over the 20s fashions and decor.
  9. Murdoch

Murdoch New Member

Flashpoint is being moved to fall... and it is going into its last season. :fragile: :wuzrobbed This is by far the show I am most anticipating.
  10. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Grimm is finally available on OnDemand and I'm watching it right now. :cheer2:
  11. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

I'm looking forward to Chicago Fire. I love cop/fire dramas and have been so disappointed in every new one I've watched since my favorite Third Watch (Best.Show.Ever) was canceled. Please please please let Chicago Fire be a good show!!

And can't wait for the return of Scandal.
  12. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I want to see Revvolution because I am a huge sci-fi fan but have to admit that the trailer does nothing for me. Plus they allot canceled after a few episodes anyway so why bother.
  13. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

^ That's funny. I actually want to watch Revolution because of the trailer. :lol: When I read about it, it didn't interest me, but then I saw the trailer and got excited about it. I'm interested to see how/why the lights go out and never come back on. I'm hoping the story won't get too crazy that its loses it initial plot.
  14. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

New season 2 photos from Person of Interest here and here.
    I'm freaked out for poor Finch -- you can see a cut on his hand in one photo, and bandages in a couple of the other photos. Root is clearly not a very nice kidnapper, as kidnappers go! Hope Reese shoots her full of holes.
  15. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I had no idea this was a Canadian show (or set in Canada!). I remember when it was introduced as a CBS summer series, and I liked it well enough, but it wasn't brought back...but then it seemed there would be new episodes to fill in whenever there was a break or a cancellation, so I knew it had continued but it was so random :lol:

I remember Enrico Colantoni from back in the Just Shoot Me days, but he'll always be Keith Mars to me :cheer2:

I saw the premiere ep of Go On during the Olys...it was ok, but I wouldn't bother watching it again.

I just got caught up on the first 2 eps of Grimm :cheer2: I don't entirely trust Nick's mother...was wishing he hadn't showed her the trailer and given her the coins, but I guess she's on the up and up. Don't like the growing distance between Nick and Hank, wish Juliette hadn't woken up, and love that Rosalee is now a regular character!

Renard's reaction to the potion :rofl: I'm not convinced that my response to intense pain or whatever would be to thrash myself over to every single table, bureau, cabinet, whatever and to sweep all the contents to the floor, but hey, I'm not a barely human member of the "royal family" ;)

The one new show I'm excited about is Revolution, but like Buzz, I have to assume it'll get cancelled right away so I shouldn't get too attached.
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  16. Murdoch

Murdoch New Member

This will be the fifth season and I LOVE it. They want to go out on top instead of in a rating slump. Filmed and based in Toronto. :)
  17. Artemis@BC

Can't say I'm much of a fan of the show, but it is certainly refreshing to have Toronto be Toronto instead of New York or Chicago or Boston ...

It was one of the reasons I liked Endgame too: Vancouver as Vancouver instead of Seattle or San Fran (or Storybrooke ;)). Now if that show could get a revival (as rumoured earlier this year) I'd be a happy puppy.
  18. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

The new shows I'm most looking forward to are Revolution (I was going to watch anyway but then they went and added Elizabeth Mitchell to the cast so it went way up my list after that :D), Nashville (Connie Britton and Jonathan Jackson?! Yes please! :D), Chicago Fire (Jesse Spencer shirtless a lot please... :swoon: ), Last Resort (Andre Braugher! Scott Speedman!), and 666 Park Avenue (Terry O'Quinn!). Hoping they're all as promising as the trailers looked earlier this summer. :)

Once Upon a Time and Revenge both need to come back quickly because I am BEYOND antsy to get back onto both of those worlds! :biggrinbo :cheer:
  19. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Can't say that I am a fan of either show.
  20. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

21. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

I liked the first episode of "Copper." With that and the new season of "Dr Who" coming plus "Dramaville" ("Luther" reruns for now) I will be watching BBC America more. Mind you I do not understand their obsession with "Top Gear" and Gorden Ramsey. A little goes a long way....Oh and bravo to them for letting us see "Battlestar Galitica" again---fantastic show.
  22. Artemis@BC

Finally, a date for Perception: Sept 5. Bravo Canada has been promoing this all summer but only just announced the date. The premise sounds pretty retread ... but it stars Eric McCormack, which is reason enough for me to watch. :swoon:

I believe it already aired in the US -- anyone watch it?
  23. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

I have to give kudos to Stephen Mangan and Matt Le Blanc ---well the whole cast really-- for the Episodes season finale. The bit with the arm: I love laughing out loud and don't do it as much I as I would like when I'm watching comedy. But tonight's show was lol funny. That show had an ok first season and a spectacular sophomore season imho.
  24. Bostonfan

Bostonfan Well-Known Member

I like it. Yeah, it's a bit clunky in parts, but I still enjoy it. It's like watching a dumbed-down version of NUMB3RS, but a better version of Unforgettable. I've never watch Monk, but I've heard there's some parallels with that show too. Nothing groundbreaking, but not everything has to be. Eric McCormack is the only good thing, but fortunately he is front and center.
  25. sk8pics

sk8pics Well-Known Member

I love this show. Eric McCormack is hilarious in it. And hawt. Yeah, the rest of the cast is meh, but he makes up for it.
  26. galaxygirl

galaxygirl Ma name's Beckeh

Perception is just ok. I don't care for McCormack in this and dislike the rants that his character goes on at least once per episode. It seems to me like some of the scenes (including the rants) are in there, not to further the plot or character development, but to give McCormack a chance to overact. However, they must be doing something right because I'm still watching. :lol:

ETA: Rachel whatever is miscast (I just can't take her seriously as an FBI agent) but I do like grad student.
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
  27. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

New shows that I am going to check out (hope lots are duds, I'm following twelve other shows that got renewed!):

Sep 11th – The New Normal (Justin Bartha, Andrew Rannells [The Book of Mormon], NeNe Leakes and Ellen Barkin)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJfBZxUlzhY

Sep 17th – Revolution (Elizabeth Mitchell and Giancarlo Esposito)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwfCRAtkYEI

Sep 25th - The Mindy Project (Mindy Kaling)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0atkuby1SY

Sep 26th – The Neighbours (Jami Gertz)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfeyxN7bU1w

Sep 27th – Elementary (Jonny Lee Miller, Lucy Liu and Aidan Quinn)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZWDr2C75rI

Sep 27th – The Last Resort (Andre Braugher, Scott Speedman, Robert Patrick and Bruce Davison)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKwl6f4yFIs

Sep 30th – 666 Park Avenue (Terry O’Quinn, Vanessa Williams and Erik Palladino)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXiu-oEGydk

Oct 10th – Nashville (Connie Britton, Hayden Panettiere, Powers Boothe and Eric Close)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76fS5Kg0TXQ

Oct 10th – Chicago Fire (Taylor Kinney)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bi3h9z1YUVc

Oct 10th – Arrow
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaq6S_Hcwn4

Oct 11th – Beauty and the Beast (Kristin Kreuk)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Spnz-QNhUcE

Nov 2nd – Malibu Country (Reba McEntire, Sara Rue, Lily Tomlin and Jai Rodriguez)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dro9-hvg3wc
  28. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Grimm:
    so Hank finally learns the truth, and he took it much better than I thought e would. But I'm cool with that.
    . Episode 4 looks GOOD! Monroe-mance!!! :cheer2:
  29. danceronice

There is never too much Top Gear (the UK version, anyway.) Ever.

I can't take Battlestar Galactica seriously. They just took a cheesy show that was such a ripoff of Star Wars initially they got sued and tarted it up to show they are Serious and Pretentious and Meaningful twits. (Only the word I normally use is spelled almost like "twit" but doesn't have an i.) I can't stand SF that insists on being dark just to be taken seriously. Especially when they cap it by failing anthropology forever.

USA has been running heavy with NCIS (with a marathon coming Moday.) I'm about ready for that new season to start ANY TIME NOW....
  30. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I liked the old BG but hated the new one. They erased everything tht was fun about the of show. At least now I know am not alone in my dislike of that show.
  31. Artemis@BC

This one wasn't on my radar at all ... but I just found out that John Barrowman will have a recurring role, so I might just have to watch.
  32. Artemis@BC

Season premier dates for return shows that I care about:

Parenthood - Sept 11
    Castle - Sept 24
    Modern Family - Sept 26
    Big Bang Theory - Sept 27
    Grey's Anatomy - Sept 27
    Once Upon a Time - Sept 30
    The Good Wife - Sept 30
    Revenge - Sept 30
  33. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Good grief. You & I could not be more different because I care for none of those. I stopped watching Castle awhile go. Here are some of the shows I am eithe watching or looking forward to.

Copper
    Blue Bloods
    Person of Interest
    Grimm
    Arrow
    2 Broke Girls
    Revolution (on probation)
    Raising Hope

Gone but not forgotten, and fondly remembered by me: :lol:
    Pan Am
    Terra Nova
    NYC 22
    Alcatraz
  34. danceronice

Whoo! Come sit by me. I always feel like I'm to get lynched for calling the new BSG the pretentious crap that it is....

I sort of like Castle still, but I'm waiting to see how it jumps the shark after the season finale. I just don't trust the writers at this point to pull this off well. It'll either be someone gets cold feet so we can go back to status quo or the dynamic's dead.
  35. Artemis@BC

Yeah, usually when a long & drawn out "will they or won't they" turns into couplehood before the end of a series, you can expect all kinds of stumbling blocks, misunderstandings, and related sillyness. Friends, Gilmore Girls, Big Bang Theory to name just three have all gone down this road with varying degrees of success.

I'm trying to remain optimistic about Castle, but time will tell. It's not must-see TV for me, but I do generally enjoy the tone & approach. Though for me, I find the prospect of the continuation of the super-sekret conspiracy plot (re: Kate's mother etc.) to be far more worrysome than what might or might not happen with Rick & Kate as a couple.
  36. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Just watched Go On. Aww, it was sweet. The part where the older woman put the cake box over the picture frame...well, it got to me.
  37. KHenry14

KHenry14 Well-Known Member

Perception is one of those shows that is likely to be retooled/recast because there is something worth saving there. Eric is the type of actor who can carry a show by himself for a time, but he's going to need more help than he's currently getting.

I'm very optimistic for the future of Go On. There's a certain charm to it that is very appealing.

But drek like The Last Resort can't be saved by Andre Braugher. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for a good submarine story, but the plot on this disaster makes no sense at all. I predict 4 episodes before it's cancelled.
  38. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

:huh:

I thought the trailer ws brilliant. I can't wait for this one!! :cheer2:
  39. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

I am looking forward to Last Resort as well. Braugher's great but for me, it's all about Speedman. Felicity and Ben Forever!
  40. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Yeah I thought the Last Reort didn't make any sense to me either. Probably not gonna last long.