2012 Canadian National Exhibition Ice Show: Virtue/Moir (8/17-31) & Stojko (9/1-3)

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

2. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

I haven't been to the EX in decades and so I have questions that I hope someone can answer.
    One purchases an entrance ticket to the EX and then has to pay to do "other things", yes?
    How much would it be to go see Tessa & Scott? I've tried looking around on the site but can't seem to find that info.

3. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

Professordeb,
    It looks like the acrobatic cum skating show at the Ricoh is free. I saw an ad that said free with admission and it was included.

I too havent been for years but definitely intend on going for it.

4. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

Since my birthday is late August, I am thinking this would be a great present.

5. Sylvia

If anyone attends one of these shows, I'm sure there are some FSU folks who would love to hear/read your impressions/details/highlights! :)

6. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

I will be going but not until the 25th

7. Sylvia

8. marii

marii New Member

its free with admission ticket to CNE

9. luckiest1

luckiest1 Well-Known Member

I went and saw the show yesterday, with Elvis in place of Virtue/Moir. It amazes me that he still has face recognition, even 10 years later. We talked to a couple afterwards who were sitting beside us in the Food building, and they had also seen the show. We asked them if they knew who the star skater was and they certainly did. Knew his face, knew his name, knew what he'd done. We asked if they knew who Virtue/Moir were, and they said some skating couple? No idea. Crazy.

The place was almost full for the afternoon show, and in the later show they had to close the entrances as it was at capacity 15 minutes early. As soon as Elvis steps on the ice, there is a roar. He skated in the opening number briefly, then later did a number to My Sharona, and again made an appearance in the closing number. The acrobatics were really entertaining as well, but the show stopper was the trampoline act towards the end. Seriously, go and see this today if you get the chance. It's a great little show, and you won't believe what these trampoline artists can do. There are performances at 2 and 5 pm but get there early!

10. hohoho

hohoho Member

Once again it shows that Canadian skaters do not get national publicity mainly due to poor marketing and TV coverage. It is very bad when the reigning Olympic, world, and national champions are not known to Canadians

11. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Virtue/Moir are a lot better "known to Canadians" than many Canadian ice dancing champions of the past - mostly because of the Olympics. The fact that one couple at the CNE didn't recognize them doesn't mean that every single Canadian would not recognize them.

12. luckiest1

luckiest1 Well-Known Member

I'm sure it doesn't, but the fact is that the skaters of yesteryear are much more known to Canadians than the skaters of today. And that's sad.

13. Andora

Andora Well-Known Member

Bourne & Kratz still have more name recognition in my circles than Virtue & Moir. Every time I run into this, I hope it's not true and it's just me. :(

I'm never surprised that more people know Elvis than our current crop, however. He was a (Canadian) star at the most opportune time.

14. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

My impression is that Virtue & Moir want this to be true.